Sidereal vs. Tropical

Years and Years ago I recall going over the differences between Sidereal vs Tropical. Just from refreshing my memory today sidereal seems more realistic, but I still need to take some time to over this stuff again, look at my basic stuff and both and decide which i feel is more accurate for myself. Apparently, until just now I've reverted or have been just using Tropical Astrology. Further along in this process, which may take some time, i'm going to share my opinions too(or i plant to), once i've formed them. hades, there probably is a thread on this already and I will UTFSE laterz on.

What my question is is which do you prefer and why?

OR

is there any reason why you would say one is complete BS or largely BS and not really and the other has obvious advantages?

Blessings

Johnny

Last edited:

Moog

Years and Years ago I recall going over the differences between Sidereal vs Tropical. Just from refreshing my memory today sidereal seems more realistic, but I still need to take some time to over this stuff again, look at my basic stuff and both and decide which i feel is more accurate for myself. Apparently, until just now I've reverted or have been just using Tropical Astrology. Further along in this process, which may take some time, i'm going to share my opinions too(or i plant to), once i've formed them. hades, there probably is a thread on this already and I will UTFSE laterz on.

What my question is is which do you prefer and why?

OR

is there any reason why you would say one is complete BS or largely BS and not really and the other has obvious advantages?

Blessings

Johnny

I started with tropical, and some things worked, and others left me feeling less than convinced. Always had a nagging sense that there was 'more'

Sidereal didn't grab me to begin with, but I gave it a proper go. I think it was probably Shanti's posts in one of the SR v. TR threads we had on here. They tipped me.

I prefer it because it just works. One obvious thing that grabbed me is essential dignities; they just work with the sidereal perspective, they often don't in tropical. This is something that many tropicalists seem to have noticed too, but rather than move to SR, they seem to have simply discarded or downplayed the concept.

I wouldn't say the tropical zodiac is BS, because;

a) While I believe strongly in the usefulness of the SR zodiac, I don't rule out the idea that I'm completely wrong

b) I don't think annoying/upsetting/alienating tropical astrologers is in anyone's interest. So, if the oppportunity comes up, I'll say I prefer SR, and I recommend people try it out.

I think astrology is very complicated, and there's lots of reasons why people might be attached to one or the other.

C) It's probably nigh on impossible to objectively prove one righter than the other, at least not without some very complicated statistical analysis.

thanks Moog i'm downloading the software.

Yesterday, I read a horoscope for my Vedic sign, which I believe is the rising sign of Taurus. it was the most accurate single sign reading I've ever read. Many details it gave for the year of 2012 were very precise that I have experienced this year. it made me laugh out loud.

That software program is complex. Is there a way to where it gives interpretations of the current/future/past Astro happenings? All I found was where it said good,bad, death, wealth, good friend, but, granted, I didn't look that long. There is a lot to learn. I'm thinking I may just end up attempting to focusing on holistic/herbal and construction for a while, who knows, but i always read some Astros it seems.

Last edited:

dr. farr

While having great respect for sidereal (and the important influence of stars in general-a nickname of mine being "Fixed Star Farr"!) I am personally convinced of the efficacy-for all purposes-of the tropical zodiacal matrix.

JUPITERASC

Yesterday, I read a horoscope for my Vedic sign, which I believe is the rising sign of Taurus. it was the most accurate single sign reading I've ever read. Many details it gave for the year of 2012 were very precise that I have experienced this year. it made me laugh out loud.
That's very interesting Fifth House Sun! :smile:

Well, I'm more confused than I was to begin with, because according to some Vedic sites my sign is Taurus others Aries. I read one Aries Rahu site and was accurate seemingly explaining some things previously unexplained Astrologically wise, but there also many others saying the same thing with different placements in the comments. Sooooo.............. who knows?

One thing I like about Vedic Astrology is it says the negative stuff. Gives intriguing details.
The natives of this placement of Shukra in 6th house should keep the opposite gender happy and should provide them all the comforts as it will bring good growth of affluence and position to the native. The wife of the male native should not get dressed like males and should not have the hair cut resembling males as it will bring poverty to the native’s place and the native’s spouse should not remain barefooted.

These people having Shukra in sixth bhava should marry the one having brothers. These people should not ever leave their works incomplete. It is beneficial if the native’s wife wears gold clips over her hair.

Edit: Well, I feel that Vedic and Western say some of the same things in many ways, however, Vedic, it seems, gives more details. They both sort of confirm what I already know(or think I know), but Vedic does in a more precise manner with actual remedies instead of vague ideas left open for much broader interpretations.

Vedic is way ahead in my book for it's precision and accuracy.

edit: i feel part of vedic astros appeal may be freshness and willingness to concisely identify negatives. Western is also accurate in many ways, but even in the same interpretations(i realize these are human interpretations) there are contradictions of the same aspect that prove untrue for me personally, at least at the current time.

Vedic origins are very intriguing to me and has recently re-lead me down and old path to see new things.

edit: i think they are both useful. Vedic astrology was like a new vegetable or something lately, or obviously i would have been an Astro junky for twenty+years mainly using Western 'stros.

Last edited: