Astrology of a Mid-life Crisis

archergirl

I seldom put my own chart out here on display, but I'm having an 'interesting' time right now, so I thought I'd invite some input and see where it takes me.

I've developed a sudden urge to either join or start a band as the lead singer. This was something I wanted to do as a (young) teenager: my best friend and I were going to be the next Duran Duran, but I lacked the faith in myself to pursue it.

Now I'm nearly 40, have gone through some extremely challenging transits in the last several years (including a tr. Pluto conj. Sun transit), and feel ready to burst out of my skin.

What I'm really hungry for is a sense of glamour and adventure, currently missing from my rather stable and predictable existence. I have a good job, nice house, decent husband, great kids, etc. etc. but feel the need for some excitement...maybe even a touch of fame.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, my progressed chart has Mars and Chiron in Aries right on the ASC; I am also having some Venus-Neptune resonances in my natal and progressed charts. Hence the sudden desire to make music for the world.

I have close contacts in the music industry, but I have to say that I am not craving stadium-sized fame. In fact, the idea of singing in front of an audience (as opposed to singing in my car very loudly on the way to work) is deliciously terrifying. But good heavens, it sounds like fun. I have a good voice, so this isn't the problem. The problem is being 'watched'. Can I overcome this without developing a serious drug habit?:p

So, I would seek you good citizens' advice on this: is this a mid-life pipe dream? Can I actually make a go of it? SHOULD I make a go of it? Mr. Archergirl thinks I'm a bit bonkers but is otherwise supportive. My kids think I'm nuts. They're probably right.

I have Neptune on the MC in Scorpio, in square to its ruler Mars in my 1st house. They are in mutual reception, however (using modern rulers), and Mars is also in strong mutual reception with Jupiter, the traditional ruler of my Pisces Mars. Neptune on the MC is, I believe, one of the 'fame' aspects: I can project whatever sort of image I want to, and usually it's something not remotely resembling 'the real me'. Uranus, the other 'fame' planet, squares Mercury but is in a wide sextile to my Venus. Natal astrology isn't my strong point, so I'd appreciate any other ideas on this.

Any takers on my quest for fame and the limelight? (I'll stick with my day job in the meantime!:D ).

Rock n' rolla.
AG:)

Attachments

• My chart no data.gif
    My chart no data.gif
    27.8 KB · Views: 70

lalalaheidi87

isnt "uranus opposite uranus" the midlife crisis aspect? in the way of "i want change now!" also neptune and jupiter, your most elevated planets are in aquarius, your first house right now, probably begging to make use of them. as far as current transits mars is approaching uranus, which could highlight the whole uranus/uranus opp.

wilsontc

Staff member
Uranus, to archer

archer,

You said:
archergirl said:
I've developed a sudden urge to either join or start a band...feel ready to burst out of my skin. What I'm really hungry for is a sense of glamour and adventure, currently missing from my rather stable and predictable existence. I have a good job, nice house, decent husband, great kids, etc. etc. but feel the need for some excitement...maybe even a touch of fame.

Transiting (moving planets in the sky) :uranus: (friends, also rebellion) is #squ (energy needs to be combined with) your birth :sun: (self-expression, also performing arts, ego), indicating a time when you feel the urge to rebel by expressing yourself in performances of some type that focus on you. As you know, the challenge of :uranus: transits is that eventually they go...and you are left to "pick up the pieces" afterwards. As long as you don't quit your stable job (especially with this economy! :eek: ) and decide to put down the money for a world tour of your new band, I think a little rock 'n' roll in your life should be OK.

Uranistically,

Tim

archergirl

isnt "uranus opposite uranus" the midlife crisis aspect?

Technically yes, around the age of 43...and I'm still waiting for this one to arrive! Uranus is headed for an opposition with my natal Pluto before it gets to the Uranus opp. No idea what this means, but 'upheaval' of some sort is sure to follow.

Last edited:

starlink

Hi AG, well, this IS a surprise! I actually like people who want to live their dreams, no matter what the result will be. Like you said, if you dont ever try it, you will never know!

The MC, first thing to look at, ruled by modern Mars and trad. Pluto.
Yes, Neptune very often does show performing in public (under disguise of some personality, like in the movies). But Neptune can also show that one's future goals are somehow very foggy, not clearly defined or having difficulties knowing what you really like to do, what sort of career would appeal most. (for anyone with Neptune conjunct MC of course).

The problem here is, that not only is that Neptune conjunct the MC, it also squares the traditional ruler Mars in your 1st house. This shows even more the difficulties (square) you might have to aggressively (Mars) persue your future goals. I am not saying this is not possible, I am just saying that this Neptune is really making it difficult for you to see things realistically at times.

Neptune being on an anaretic degree brings the urgency, wanting to jump into the next sign, new experiences etc. It is usually a point of (personal) crisis, especially when transited by an active planet and Jupiter in transit through your 1st house could do this with the square it will eventually make to Neptune, but which you are already feeling.

On top of this, transiting Neptune is also squaring your natal Neptune and is in the proximity of your Mars where eventually, he will conjunct with him in 2012 (the exact conjunction). A lot of Mars-Neptune energy which could be used for artistic expression, also because of the mutual reception between the two planets.

But we have to look a bit further than our noses are long and like you yourself also mentioned: standing in front of a public, let alone singing.... oh dear!! How will your Moon/Saturn conjunction in your 3rd house of bodily expression and verbal expression react to that? And what about your Mercury in the 12th house in Capricorn? Mercury there can have the talent to change yourself in some other character. 12th house is good for that.
But Mercury is not really an extrovert is he? Nor is the Ascendant ruler Uranus in the 8th. And you do need some of that when appearing in front of a public. The band behind you wont change that! unless indeed you are so high on drugs, that you dont care what you do and I dont think you are that sort of person. The issue here is not that you cant do it, but that it will rob you from your privacy. You need to mentally get a break ever so often I think.

I can see the enthousiasm though. Sun in Sagittarius, Mars sextiling it as well as that Mars trine Jupiter. Your Moon is held back by Saturn making it very responsible, not allowing yourself to just go wild (opposition Jupiter).

Three things:
Mercury squares Uranus, basic interpretation: difficulties and obstacles (of the mind in particular) to express yourself fully the way you really would like to be.
Mercury does not make an aspect with the 10th house ruler(s).
Mars, nor Pluto make an aspect to the Ascendant. This is necessary in order to "bring the energy out". The Ascendant can be seen as some sort of door you go through to bring the planets energies out.

Then we also have this YOD between Neptune, Pluto and Apex Moon. Yods very often show that in the life there comes a moment (or several moments) when you have to make a decision, a difficult one. Right now there is no heavy transit going over one of the three points, but transiting Mars and Venus , not so heavy, are conjuncting that Moon, trining your Sun as well and maybe that triggered these feelings right now and asking your question.

What you are going through is probably a psychologically clevery covered way of finding some freedom. Transiting Pluto is trining your trad. Ascendant ruler Saturn and the Moon as well as sextiling your Mars, giving you an impuls to transform yourself. Transiting Uranus squares your Sun. It is like your Ascendant (Uranus ruled) is telling you (Sun) "now of never"!

I dont think the performing arts is really what is "made for you". If you could get over that stage fright, I think you could do it. Mars sextiles (opportunity through self input) your Moon (public) which could show that the public will take you up on it. The 7th house, also "the others, the public" is ruled by your Sun and sextiles Mars but squares Pluto.

Now, which MC ruler works stronger for you? Ruler of the 10th in the 1st often shows a career of your own but Neptune could spoil that. Ruler of 10 in the 8th is most certainly not related to a career in the arts. More likely banking or something like that.

So I think Mars could do it, with effort but Pluto not.

Good luck to you!

Wasayo

archergirl said:
I seldom put my own chart out here on display, but I'm having an 'interesting' time right now, so I thought I'd invite some input and see where it takes me.

I've developed a sudden urge to either join or start a band as the lead singer. This was something I wanted to do as a (young) teenager: my best friend and I were going to be the next Duran Duran, but I lacked the faith in myself to pursue it.

Now I'm nearly 40, have gone through some extremely challenging transits in the last several years (including a tr. Pluto conj. Sun transit), and feel ready to burst out of my skin.

What I'm really hungry for is a sense of glamour and adventure, currently missing from my rather stable and predictable existence. I have a good job, nice house, decent husband, great kids, etc. etc. but feel the need for some excitement...maybe even a touch of fame.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, my progressed chart has Mars and Chiron in Aries right on the ASC; I am also having some Venus-Neptune resonances in my natal and progressed charts. Hence the sudden desire to make music for the world.

I have close contacts in the music industry, but I have to say that I am not craving stadium-sized fame. In fact, the idea of singing in front of an audience (as opposed to singing in my car very loudly on the way to work) is deliciously terrifying. But good heavens, it sounds like fun. I have a good voice, so this isn't the problem. The problem is being 'watched'. Can I overcome this without developing a serious drug habit?:p

So, I would seek you good citizens' advice on this: is this a mid-life pipe dream? Can I actually make a go of it? SHOULD I make a go of it? Mr. Archergirl thinks I'm a bit bonkers but is otherwise supportive. My kids think I'm nuts. They're probably right.

I have Neptune on the MC in Scorpio, in square to its ruler Mars in my 1st house. They are in mutual reception, however (using modern rulers), and Mars is also in strong mutual reception with Jupiter, the traditional ruler of my Pisces Mars. Neptune on the MC is, I believe, one of the 'fame' aspects: I can project whatever sort of image I want to, and usually it's something not remotely resembling 'the real me'. Uranus, the other 'fame' planet, squares Mercury but is in a wide sextile to my Venus. Natal astrology isn't my strong point, so I'd appreciate any other ideas on this.

Any takers on my quest for fame and the limelight? (I'll stick with my day job in the meantime!:D ).

Rock n' rolla.

dear AG,

i'll venture the first "psychic fast flash" i get here... the answer i hear is *NO*.

how come "no"? :60:

cuz i'm getting [transiting Uranus opposing natal Uranus]... "an itch you can't scratch" ~ that the REAL goal isn't your singing career, but, rather, relief from boredom... [and i've gotta say it]... sexual/sensual excitement.

i'm sensing that if you do it now, much personal pain and trauma may result. also, aren't you coming up on a Uranus Return, around 42-43?

by the way, you have an exquisite voice...

just some things to consider.

bestest,
Wasayo
Psychic Astrologer

archergirl

Brilliant. This is the sort of input I need, guys, thanks. :)

Starlink, you are absolutely right about my privacy. I am a VERY private person (which is why I don't post my chart on here very often!:D ). I was reading another article on Neptune on the MC, which also made note of the very 'private' sort of energy Neptune has in this placement. Not many very famous people have this aspect, although there are two of note that I know of: Jim Morrison (The Doors): famously troubled poet-singer; and Gianluigi Buffon (my favourite goalkeeper: go Juventus!), who, even though he is considered one of the world's top goalkeepers, is famously private about his own life. So. There you go.

But I'm really hankering after some sort of self-expression. I've always had musical abilities but was (and am) so self-critical I sort of sabotage myself here (as in: "Pfff. You couldn't POSSIBLY be good enough at this, so don't bother trying."). I've decided to fight the self-criticism by pushing the envelope a bit.

PS.
Mars, nor Pluto make an aspect to the Ascendant. This is necessary in order to "bring the energy out".

BUT, Pluto is in sextile to the MC as well as Neptune. This is a generational aspect, of course, but this house placement certainly has something to do with either my public persona or my inner motives, yes?

Last edited:

archergirl

Wasayo,

Thanks for that interesting tidbit! I think you and Starlink have both hit the nail on the head viz: relief from boredom (and expression of the more sensual sort ;) ). I was clinically depressed for a decade and feel like I've sort of missed the prime of my life. Mr. Archergirl is cautioning me to take things slowly and explore them, and not to go off 'half-cocked', as is my usual modus operandi.

He has also pointed out that my voice is more suited to madrigals and choral work, than rock n' roll. Aria, anyone?

starlink

BUT, Pluto is in sextile to the MC as well as Neptune. This is a generational aspect, of course, but this house placement certainly has something to do with either my public persona or my inner motives, yes?
Oh yes, absolutely, but sextiles need personal input and as you can see, Uranus (you) is squaring Mercury (your selfexpression) and Neptune is squared by it's own ruler. It's all a bit of a struggle if you ask me.

It is generally the Ascendant which is used as a door to go through and bring all the creativity out because it has to go through the persona (1st house).
If only you would not have that Chiron in your 2nd.....

Lissa

Lovely Archergirl,must admit I don't have much to add to what's already been said,but 1)you have always been so helpful to me around the forum and 2)I felt so curious about your chart that I just had to chime in!!:)

I'm with Wasayo here.I don't think you want to be a singer,the dream of being a singer is actually hidden something bigger,a much deeper desire.It seems that Uranus is currently playing around with your Sun,squaring it,while Neptune sextiles it;all of your hidden dreams and desires and that adventurous rebelious Sagittarean streak are coming to the surface.The boredom of everyday routine is hitting you hard,and you feel the need to get out and escape,quickly!:eek:

Natally,you are not the type of individual who likes to get bored,but you don't like to run before life's demandings either,and so your Moon/Saturn conjunction gives you a lot of responsability;you are usually very conscious of what needs to be done and while a big part of you would rather go outside and play,you are not the type to run away from your responsabilities.

Now that Uranus is chalenging both your Pluto and your Sun,it may be that all that restlessness comes up,and you look at your life and get extremely bored.However,transiting Pluto has been trining your Moon and now your Saturn,so it seems that your responsabilities with the kids,the house,marriage,work and family will get more and more time consuming...and not the other way around.So,while Uranus is there reminding your Sun how nice it is to lay outisde in the Sun and run in the open fields,Pluto won't let you forget that you have your duties to take care of,and failing to meet people's expectations would be a great mistake to make at this point.

The current opposition from Uranus to your 8th house Pluto does seem to be speaking of some boredom on the bedroom,as well as a need to completely re-do your life and radically change it.I am not saying you are too old to be the next Britney Spears,it's just that there is too much in your hands at this time,you can't just drop the ball and go away.

Honestly,you are never too old and follow your dreams.And this is coming from a Capricorn rising with a 1st house Saturn,so it's got to be true!:p But it seems that,at this point,it would be wiser for you to start things slowly and be as realistic as possible.I can see you singing at your local pub,maybe even on a regular basis,but not giving up your current job and trying to become the next Madonna...

Hope this has helped a bit...
Lissa

archergirl

Thank you for chiming in, Lissa.:)

it's just that there is too much in your hands at this time,you can't just drop the ball and go away.
This is exactly true, and one of the main obstacles to being more creative right now. It's a really tough thing, because I sometimes feel like I'm in some sort of existential cocoon, wrapped up tight, and I need to get out!

EJ53

Banned
Then we also have this YOD between Neptune, Pluto and Apex Moon. Yods very often show that in the life there comes a moment (or several moments) when you have to make a decision, a difficult one. Right now there is no heavy transit going over one of the three points, but transiting Mars and Venus , not so heavy, are conjuncting that Moon, trining your Sun as well and maybe that triggered these feelings right now and asking your question

Unfortunately, my poor eyesight makes it difficult now for me to be sure that I'm reading the chart correctly.........But, isn't natal Pluto now being influenced by transit Neptune?........activating the Yod/(Jupiter)Boomerang until around April 2012.

If so AG, it's more likely that this is causing your current unrest rather than an early onset of the Uranus opp Uranus mid-life crisis........and that the latter will be more difficult to cope with when it does arrive, if you fail to respond now to the activation of the Boomerang.

On another recent thread, some of us have been trying hard to understand how Yods/Boomerangs work.......and (currently) my view is that the Moon at the apex of your boomerang "personalises" the Neptune/Pluto sextile...effectively making you a potential conduit for this sextile to achieve it's generational objectives through individuals....Moon in Aries/3rd being interpretated here as communicating personally with the masses/public.

Consequently, despite the reservations being expressed on this thread, I'd look into this Yod carefully before concluding your "dream" cannot become reality.........It might, if it is linked in some way to the generational objectives of Scorpio Neptune sextile Virgo Pluto.....But, as Tim advises, resist any urge to "throw out the baby with the bathwater" (especially in the current financial climate).

EJ:)

Last edited:

archergirl

Thank you for adding information about the yod, EJ53. Yods are something I know next to nothing about (we don't use them in horary!:p ). I'll explore this further, because it rang a bell with me.

lillyjgc

Senior Member, Educational board Editor
Archergirl,
I wouldn't have picked you to be a singer from your natal chart, but as I too have Neptune in house ten, I understand how difficult it can be to remain in a single career- and how there is a constant sense of *unfulfilment* from this placement, which results in many new beginnings..
I take singing for you to be associated with the fifth house, ruled in your chart by Mercury.Mercury is hidden in your twelfth natally and in capricorn so allowing yourself to have fun may have come with some difficulty. By progression, your mercury would also have now moved on too and it indeed might be the right time to find a way to express your fifth house needs.
I see the sun is in your 11th, and I am wondering how you might react to the suggestion of joining a choir as a first step. (btw, out of curiosity, with merc in cap, is your voice in the low range? mezzo or lower?)
Being a sun sag, you have a natural affiliation with ninth house inclinations, as evidenced by all your study, and also your proficiency with astrology, and your ninth is ruled by venus, so I see a possible connection for you with music and maybe some form of spiritual vocal work-chanting, healing use of music etc.Drumming also might be something you have a natural ability for.
You explained your fears of being in the spotlight. With your sun in 11 you could be part of a whole group in the spotlight! Maybe that would give you an opportunity to learn how to cope with your fears in a protected environment initially.The sun is sextile your sun's ruler jupiter in h9, so I think for you the music would have to be meaningful.(sorry to dash the Rock'n'roll hopes there!)..or maybe you would choose only to sing songs that held meaning for you personally.
You're certainly capable of putting the work in, which is a large requirement for success in the Entertainment Industry.However, while some want to sing/perform on a grand scale, others are content with a jazz gig at their local on a Friday night..or variations on that.It depends what you want to get out of the experience.
Like Star I LOVE it when people show a willingness to try the new, explore the self, and give the soul room to grow. Good on you!
Of course you CAN do it. The question really is what do you think it will bring you? WILL it help you grow? Only one way to find out!
Good Luck.
Lillyjgc

lillyjgc

Senior Member, Educational board Editor
Couple of other things...
The merc square uranus can cause a nervousness as well as produce mental agility and unusual ways of self expression.(I guess singing comes under that heading to a degree). I know a number of singers with this placement,btw.
Neptune in 10 definitely relates to performance.I have it there and I have been involved in the Performing Arts, including singing with a band in the (distant) past.
I notice your ascendant ruler, Saturn, is in Taurus (singing),trine sun in 11.(groups, bands etc)
If you take modern rulers, Uranus rules your ASC and the square to mercury may only be alerting you to a need to overcome your nerves in order to perform to your highest potential. I ALWAYS suffered from nerves before a performance, no matter how many times I had done it before.(virgo moon didnt help there!) and it would have been easier to just give up and do something less stressful, but in the process of dealing with my fears, I learnt a great deal about myself so it can be a worthwhile journey.Singing is an especially personal means of self expression and one is very vulnerable out there alone under the spotlight, but once that fear is conquered it is an intensely liberating experience, and can have a transcendental quality that is a much greater high than any drug.(!)
It can open up the chakres and bring about healing too.
Cheers,
Lillyjgc

archergirl

Hi Lillyjgc, thanks for pitching in!:)

I agree about the 10th house Neptune. It's a curse. It's a blessing. It has plagued me my entire life.:rolleyes:

I wouldn't take myself as a singer, either, with my chart; more of a scholar or mixed martial arts! But I've been interested in singing my entire life (I did do a few school performances: petrifying!). I'm not afraid of the public part...not really. I actually enjoy doing PowerPoints to large crowds, but is IS nervewracking, and I'm not yet confident enough...I'll have to try karaoke first! I would probably be classified as a mezzo-soprano.

You hit the nail on the head with the 'spiritual music': one of my great loves is religious choral music, particularly of the late Renaissance era. I have considered doing this; my problem is that whilst I used to be able to read music, it's a skill I've sadly lost, and one that I would need to get into a serious choir. But my musical taste is pretty eclectic so I'm trying to explore ways to make 'fusion' music. That's pretty Neptunian, too!:D

A friend of mine suggested that I consider making my own music with synthesizers/mixers and post it on YouTube; that way I wouldn't have to mess with being out in the limelight and could play around with different styles and have a bit of a laugh. That would suit the 12th house Mercury/Uranus square (electronica? trance?).

The most valuable thing coming out of all this discussion is that I am getting many different ideas on where to take this, and how. I might not be the next Rolling Stones...but I'll probably end up doing *something*, and that's fine with me. Keep it coming! :)

starlink

A friend of mine suggested that I consider making my own music with synthesizers/mixers and post it on YouTube; that way I wouldn't have to mess with being out in the limelight and could play around with different styles and have a bit of a laugh. That would suit the 12th house Mercury/Uranus square (electronica? trance?).

Now that is a pretty good solution! Why not try doing that indeed!! Yes, Mercury/Uranus could very well be electronic communication (literally taken) = electronic music.

archergirl

I've just purchased some software to get me started. This is a completely new field for me, so I'm excited. :38:

I also have some acquaintances (friends of Mr. Archergirl) who have a band...maybe I can wangle some 'guest appearances' with them at the pub, just to try it out.:p

Thank you everyone!

AG:) :)

Lissa

Completly astrology aside,I think you should start making your 'guest appearances' at local pubs and karaoke bars;that's a nice way to put those energies to work without jeopardizing your career!;) Maybe even write your own songs and then perform at pubs and bars,why not??