Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > Anything Else... > Chat

Chat For posts that don't have to do with astrological chart interpretation, but they're still important to you. Gossip, show off, hot topic, spiritual thoughts, Sun sign astrological discussions, chit chat: come in and share!


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Unread 09-05-2017, 06:23 AM
AppLeo's Avatar
AppLeo AppLeo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 11,902
Is college really that important?

I feel like dropping out because I'm learning nonsense. I feel like I could learn the things I want on my own.

But that degree is oh so important.

Could really use some advice from my astrology people because all of you are older

__________________
cobalt purple
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Unread 09-05-2017, 06:29 AM
Oddity's Avatar
Oddity Oddity is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 2,982
Re: Is college really that important?

Some degrees are important. Other degrees aren't. What're you studying, and what's the nonsense part?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Unread 09-05-2017, 06:41 AM
AppLeo's Avatar
AppLeo AppLeo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 11,902
Re: Is college really that important?

I chose a Computer Science major. Just taking a math class and an intro class...

It's nonsense because I have to take these dumb generals that just waste time. I'm taking two economic classes, and a philosophy class, which are honestly boring. I enjoyed studying the information on my own, not with some dumb professor. And my professor doesn't support the free market capitalism so that's stupid. It's just taking too long. I want to learn the information now really fast so I can start making money. I don't want to wait 5 years sitting at lectures.

I've been learning coding on the side for free, and hoping I'll be able to launch websites and make my first iPhone app within a year. And if that's the case, why am I bothering with college??
__________________
cobalt purple
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Unread 09-05-2017, 07:31 AM
Rawiri's Avatar
Rawiri Rawiri is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: No home base.
Posts: 645
Re: Is college really that important?

It depends what you want to do.

Generally, I'd say it's not that important nowadays. There's a glut of people with degrees who need to be re-trained when they actually start work (and most companies aren't very willing to do that now).

Obviously, for certain things for legal reasons it's required. Sometimes, in management positions, degrees are also required due to bureaucratic stuff. And of course, if someone were going into academia it's required...

IMO the whole work situation is changing...the western middle class is shrinking and eastern is growing for obvious reasons. With increasing automation there are more shifts happening and we'll probably reach a crisis point eventually. A lot of previously considered very "safe" jobs will become far less "safe" such as accounting, pharmacy even law and doctors will probably feel it.

How much are you paying? Are you going into debt to do it? How much time do you have to devote to it? Those are important factors.

That all said...normally the first year is a bit more...boring academically than the later years.

There's also the benefit of "extending childhood" as it were (and keeping people off your ***). With a computer science degree you should be able to manage starting a side project while still in college. Business is harder than college, in any case...

I'd say try and get something started on the side while in college, so you can enjoy its boons. Prove you have something that can make money before throwing in the towel.

But it's your life...no one here has to live with the consequences.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rawiri For This Useful Post:
Blaze (03-07-2020), Oddity (09-05-2017)
  #5  
Unread 09-05-2017, 11:33 AM
JUPITERASC's Avatar
JUPITERASC JUPITERASC is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 56,293
Re: Is college really that important?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppLeo View Post

I chose a Computer Science major.
Just taking a math class and an intro class...
Increasing worldwide computerization makes that a logical choice
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82p-D...eature=related Hippocrates Let food be your medicine: let medicine be your food. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvz9uSK3zXo Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead Tom Stoppard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KchhSIVwMdY Every exit is an entrance to somewhere else. VETTIUS VALENS FREE http://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/...s%20entire.pdf
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Unread 09-05-2017, 11:36 AM
JUPITERASC's Avatar
JUPITERASC JUPITERASC is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 56,293
Re: Is college really that important?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppLeo View Post

It's nonsense
because
I have to take these dumb generals
that just waste time.
I'm taking two economic classes
and a philosophy class
which are honestly boring.
I enjoyed studying the information on my own
not with some dumb professor.
And my professor
doesn't support
the free market capitalism
so that's stupid.

Professors are frequently regarded as dimwitted by bored students



__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82p-D...eature=related Hippocrates Let food be your medicine: let medicine be your food. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvz9uSK3zXo Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead Tom Stoppard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KchhSIVwMdY Every exit is an entrance to somewhere else. VETTIUS VALENS FREE http://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/...s%20entire.pdf
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Unread 09-05-2017, 11:45 AM
JUPITERASC's Avatar
JUPITERASC JUPITERASC is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 56,293
Re: Is college really that important?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppLeo View Post

It's just taking too long.
I want to learn the information now really fast
so I can start making money.
I don't want to wait 5 years sitting at lectures.





__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82p-D...eature=related Hippocrates Let food be your medicine: let medicine be your food. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvz9uSK3zXo Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead Tom Stoppard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KchhSIVwMdY Every exit is an entrance to somewhere else. VETTIUS VALENS FREE http://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/...s%20entire.pdf
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Unread 09-05-2017, 11:46 AM
JUPITERASC's Avatar
JUPITERASC JUPITERASC is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 56,293
Re: Is college really that important?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppLeo View Post

I've been learning coding on the side for free
and hoping I'll be able
to launch websites
and make my first iPhone app within a year.
And if that's the case
why am I bothering with college??

Only you can answer that
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82p-D...eature=related Hippocrates Let food be your medicine: let medicine be your food. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvz9uSK3zXo Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead Tom Stoppard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KchhSIVwMdY Every exit is an entrance to somewhere else. VETTIUS VALENS FREE http://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/...s%20entire.pdf
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Unread 09-05-2017, 03:35 PM
AppLeo's Avatar
AppLeo AppLeo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 11,902
Re: Is college really that important?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawiri View Post
It depends what you want to do.

Generally, I'd say it's not that important nowadays. There's a glut of people with degrees who need to be re-trained when they actually start work (and most companies aren't very willing to do that now).
That's good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawiri View Post
IMO the whole work situation is changing...the western middle class is shrinking and eastern is growing for obvious reasons. With increasing automation there are more shifts happening and we'll probably reach a crisis point eventually. A lot of previously considered very "safe" jobs will become far less "safe" such as accounting, pharmacy even law and doctors will probably feel it.
Definitely true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawiri View Post
How much are you paying? Are you going into debt to do it? How much time do you have to devote to it? Those are important factors.
Well my mom is paying for it because I'm a spoiled brat. But if I had to pay for college myself, I don't think I would've have gone. I guess it can't hurt to go because it's being paid for, I just feel like I'm wasting my time and my mom's money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawiri View Post
That all said...normally the first year is a bit more...boring academically than the later years.

There's also the benefit of "extending childhood" as it were (and keeping people off your ***). With a computer science degree you should be able to manage starting a side project while still in college. Business is harder than college, in any case...
True, true. I'd have to say, being at the university in a dorm gives you a lot of space and some time to do whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawiri View Post
I'd say try and get something started on the side while in college, so you can enjoy its boons. Prove you have something that can make money before throwing in the towel.

But it's your life...no one here has to live with the consequences.
Getting something started on the side first is probably a good idea.

Thanks Rawiri.
__________________
cobalt purple

Last edited by AppLeo; 09-05-2017 at 04:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AppLeo For This Useful Post:
Rawiri (09-05-2017)
  #10  
Unread 09-05-2017, 04:44 PM
theV's Avatar
theV theV is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,285
Re: Is college really that important?

Depends on the degree. For example, I am studying Teaching English as a Foreign Language. I need the degree to get a job.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Unread 09-05-2017, 04:50 PM
Oddity's Avatar
Oddity Oddity is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 2,982
Re: Is college really that important?

Get your side projects going as soon as you can.

As for conservative professors at university - there aren't many of them. You might want to check out the business school courses, as that and computer programming might be a good match, and that's probably the most likely place to find kindred spirits.

If you find you're still hating it after the first year, it might be a good idea to get out. I've known people who never should've been in university in the first place struggle through a bachelour's and then a master's only to wind up resentful, up to their ears in debt, and with no useful job skills.

Software depends much more on what you can do than where you studied, so at least you've got a chance.

Some unis have pretty good career programmes - check the careers office at your school to see if they have useful advice, internships, etc.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oddity For This Useful Post:
AppLeo (09-05-2017), Rawiri (09-05-2017)
  #12  
Unread 09-05-2017, 04:57 PM
AppLeo's Avatar
AppLeo AppLeo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 11,902
Re: Is college really that important?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
Get your side projects going as soon as you can.

As for conservative professors at university - there aren't many of them. You might want to check out the business school courses, as that and computer programming might be a good match, and that's probably the most likely place to find kindred spirits.
True. I'm gonna check out some clubs, too and hopefully I could find like-minded people. There's a libertarian club!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
If you find you're still hating it after the first year, it might be a good idea to get out. I've known people who never should've been in university in the first place struggle through a bachelour's and then a master's only to wind up resentful, up to their ears in debt, and with no useful job skills.
Yeah, that's a really bad position to be in. I was also thinking that I could take a year off as a break if projects on the side take off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
Software depends much more on what you can do than where you studied, so at least you've got a chance.

Some unis have pretty good career programmes - check the careers office at your school to see if they have useful advice, internships, etc.
Yeah, internships are really important. I will look into those.

Thanks Oddity
__________________
cobalt purple
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Unread 09-05-2017, 04:58 PM
AppLeo's Avatar
AppLeo AppLeo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 11,902
Re: Is college really that important?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theV View Post
Depends on the degree. For example, I am studying Teaching English as a Foreign Language. I need the degree to get a job.
Yeah... doctor or lawyer, for example, obviously needs a degree. Programming has wiggle room though.
__________________
cobalt purple
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Unread 09-05-2017, 05:32 PM
Oddity's Avatar
Oddity Oddity is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 2,982
Re: Is college really that important?

You'll want to read this. I'm assuming you heard about James Damore being fired from Google because someone leaked a discussion paper he wrote. Not an isolated incident, though it seems now that if you don't agree with corporate culture, the best thing to do is to say nothing.

It's getting scary out there if you are not of a leftist-socialist bent in tech: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-conservatives

But this might provide some opportunities to develop different platforms, even block-chaining for internet, so that free speech can be preserved. It's not just about various lunatic white supremacists having a place to play.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oddity For This Useful Post:
AppLeo (09-05-2017)
  #15  
Unread 09-05-2017, 05:59 PM
AppLeo's Avatar
AppLeo AppLeo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 11,902
Re: Is college really that important?

Wow. So being a conservative is something you have to hide now?? What is this world coming to.

And the thing about hiring women so that there can be a 50/50 split of the genders in engineering is so stupid. Women are being pushed forward at the expense of men. Unbelievable.

I might get fired in the future hahahaha
__________________
cobalt purple
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Unread 09-05-2017, 06:24 PM
JUPITERASC's Avatar
JUPITERASC JUPITERASC is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 56,293
Re: Is college really that important?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppLeo View Post

Wow. So being a conservative is something you have to hide now??
What is this world coming to.

And the thing about hiring women
so that there can be a 50/50 split of the genders in engineering
is so stupid.
Women are being pushed forward
at the expense of men.
Unbelievable.


I might get fired in the future hahahaha






__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82p-D...eature=related Hippocrates Let food be your medicine: let medicine be your food. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvz9uSK3zXo Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead Tom Stoppard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KchhSIVwMdY Every exit is an entrance to somewhere else. VETTIUS VALENS FREE http://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/...s%20entire.pdf
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Unread 09-05-2017, 06:49 PM
AppLeo's Avatar
AppLeo AppLeo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 11,902
Re: Is college really that important?

Go away Jupiter
__________________
cobalt purple
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Unread 09-06-2017, 02:01 AM
demetraceres demetraceres is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 295
Re: Is college really that important?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddity View Post

But this might provide some opportunities to develop different platforms, even block-chaining for internet, so that free speech can be preserved. It's not just about various lunatic white supremacists having a place to play.
Yes, Gamergate might be annoying
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Unread 09-06-2017, 04:00 AM
CapAquaPis's Avatar
CapAquaPis CapAquaPis is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: ...in the sidereal astrological system.
Posts: 2,454
Re: Is college really that important?

College doesn't prepare our youth to the new economy: mostly comprised of low-wage, part-time or temping jobs...if they ever get one. They're often told to "stay in school" and graduate with a HS diploma, because employers don't like anyone without one. And where's community college? trade schools? or online courses? Is there cheaper alternatives...or don't they really help? Make sure your degree isn't a mismatch: gender studies and liberal arts will never help you in your job search in the corporate workplace.
__________________
or , I have the same ruling planets: Uranus and Saturn. I see the Cancer rising. Aries in the MC and Venus was her name!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CapAquaPis For This Useful Post:
tikana (09-07-2017)
  #20  
Unread 09-06-2017, 04:12 AM
waybread's Avatar
waybread waybread is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: A class M planet near you
Posts: 14,842
Re: Is college really that important?

AppLeo, you might want to take off for a "gap year" or two, and then come back, if you do, when you know why you're in college and what it will enable you to do in your career.

Normally first-year American college students have to take a slug of introductory courses in their intended major plus what are called liberal education or general education courses. The introductory courses in your major are planned both to expose students to the diversity of topics within their field, and to lay the foundations for the more advanced classes-- where students are expected to have retained what they learned in year one. The purpose of liberal education is to expand students' minds and to expose them to different points of view. Like ones that are not your extremist, reactionary libertarian and misogynist ideologies.

If you do stay in school, or leave and come back later, many students ask around, and learn who the really good, mind-grabbing faculty are. If Professor Deadwood is the only one teaching a required course, you're sort of stuck, but oftentimes students can get into the more stimulating professors' courses.

Also, most campuses of any size have student counseling services. If you're confused about why you're in school, they may be able to help you gain some clarity on your career directions.

Some really smart people-- Like Bill Gates-- never finished their university programs but did very well. However, few people are genius enough to pull it off. If you're in his creative ranks you may not need any academic credentials.
__________________
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. Jack Layton, "Letter to Canadians"

I thought we went along paths--but it seems there are no paths. The going itself is the path.
C.S. Lewis, Perelandra.

Life is not about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself. Message on a refrigerator magnet.

Last edited by waybread; 09-06-2017 at 04:21 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Unread 09-06-2017, 04:53 AM
AppLeo's Avatar
AppLeo AppLeo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 11,902
Re: Is college really that important?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapAquaPis View Post
College doesn't prepare our youth to the new economy: mostly comprised of low-wage, part-time or temping jobs...if they ever get one.
I know that's what I'm afraid of. I'm this worthless skilless person who's afraid to fail. God it's so annoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapAquaPis View Post
They're often told to "stay in school" and graduate with a HS diploma, because employers don't like anyone without one. And where's community college? trade schools? or online courses? Is there cheaper alternatives...
Unlike most people, money isn't my problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapAquaPis View Post
or don't they really help? Make sure your degree isn't a mismatch: gender studies and liberal arts will never help you in your job search in the corporate workplace.
Well obviously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waybread View Post
AppLeo, you might want to take off for a "gap year" or two, and then come back, if you do, when you know why you're in college and what it will enable you to do in your career.
That's what I was thinking. The only problem with that is that I'll be graduating at like age 26.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waybread View Post
Normally first-year American college students have to take a slug of introductory courses in their intended major plus what are called liberal education or general education courses. The introductory courses in your major are planned both to expose students to the diversity of topics within their field, and to lay the foundations for the more advanced classes-- where students are expected to have retained what they learned in year one.
Yeah, complete waste of time and money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waybread View Post
The purpose of liberal education is to expand students' minds and to expose them to different points of view. Like ones that are not your extremist, reactionary libertarian and misogynist ideologies.
I became an extremist libertarian because I was open-minded. I've never met a closed-minded person that ever thought about libertarianism. Just saying. Most people identify with republican or democrat without really diving deep. And also, I used to be a liberal for like a month. Originally I was conservative because my parents were, so I just went with their views. But then I also knew that people should have their own rights to be gay and smoke whatever they want, so I became liberal. I also became liberal because I actually bought into the idea that welfare programs and socialism was a good thing. I was manipulated by the free-lunch and free healthcare unicorn ****. And I was also envious of rich people and thought they should give their wealth to everyone else. But then my parents said that you can't just take someone's wealth because you want to. But I didn't understand that because I just didn't get it. So then I became republican because I ultimately thought that people should keep their money, but I was unsettled because there were some liberal policies that I agreed with. And then when Donald Trump became president I decided to seriously consider my political beliefs because the republican party wasn't looking to great. I eventually stumbled upon the political compass. I saw that Authoritarian left-wingers were people like stalin and mao, and I knew that they were horrible people, so I went to the opposite of the political compass. If left-wing authoritarianism caused death and destruction then the opposite must be life and prosperity. So when I looked at right-wing libertarian, I saw Ayn Rand and the founding fathers there, and then I remembered reading Anthem by Ayn Rand a long time ago and thinking that she was interesting but never really cared much. So then I read Atlas Shrugged because I was open minded and some of her other books, and then I was hooked, and then realized what libertarianism is and that being republican or democrat or conservative or liberal is just a bunch of nonsense.

Fiscally conservative and socially liberal is the most open-minded.

I'm a fascist libertarian. I will take control and shove my beliefs down your throat only so that you can live free and independent and pursue your own happiness. Sounds ironic, but yeah. If you disagree with me, you're basically saying that you want a dictator/state to control your life with violence.

Don't tell me I need a class or that I need to expand my mind. I expanded it enough. My politics are on key.

And I'll be misogynist if I feel like it. I used to be a weak *** feminist in high school because that's just what everyone was and the public school was just liberal and stupid. But because I was open minded its the reason why IM NOT a feminist and why I'm, I wouldn't say misogynist, but just a little distrustful when it comes to women's rights. Because they completely ignore men's rights and don't appreciate men. And also, not to mention, feminism focuses exclusively on uncontrollable things like gender. The left focuses on appearance and things you can't control and they completely ignore things like character and skill. When I judge people, I prefer to judge their skill. When you judge people on gender and associate rights between gender, all you do, is polarize people and pin them against each other. Men can't be women, and women can't be men. Whites can't be black and blacks can't be white. But an unskillful person can become skillful. An evil character can become a good character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waybread View Post
If you do stay in school, or leave and come back later, many students ask around, and learn who the really good, mind-grabbing faculty are. If Professor Deadwood is the only one teaching a required course, you're sort of stuck, but oftentimes students can get into the more stimulating professors' courses.
Yeah... I just don't like professors or teachers or authority figures in general. They just like to tell you what to do because they're so wise and all that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waybread View Post
Also, most campuses of any size have student counseling services. If you're confused about why you're in school, they may be able to help you gain some clarity on your career directions.
They'll just want me to spend and waste more money. I mean hello, they've convinced the entire nation that college is important and chained these poor people to outrageous debt so that they could "find themselves."

Quote:
Originally Posted by waybread View Post
Some really smart people-- Like Bill Gates-- never finished their university programs but did very well. However, few people are genius enough to pull it off. If you're in his creative ranks you may not need any academic credentials.
Unfortunately, my intelligence is average.

Thanks Waybread for your advice. Much appreciated
__________________
cobalt purple

Last edited by AppLeo; 09-06-2017 at 05:05 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Unread 09-07-2017, 04:09 AM
waybread's Avatar
waybread waybread is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: A class M planet near you
Posts: 14,842
Re: Is college really that important?

AppLeo, after scanning your last post (and as a retired prof) I would suggest you withdraw now, if you can get your mother's tuition dollars refunded; or finish off this one term as best you can. Then go through the proper paperwork to take a formal leave of absence. This is just in case you wish to return, you won't have burned any bridges behind you. (Sometimes students who aren't in a good place at university simply stop showing up for class, don't take their exams, and flunk out. Then they may not be able to return, or cannot get admitted at another university with those Fs on their transcript.)

A university isn't about keeping you amused in class. The prof isn't some kind of entertainment system. It is about providing you with an e.d.u.c.a.t.i.o.n.

Since you apparently know everything you care to know already, your mother's tuition dollars would be wasted on you. And so would the experience. Students who love their college years typically make good friends, participate in extra-curricular activities, and are actually eager to do well in their courses. If none of these benefits appeal to you, why are you even enrolled? To waste your mother's money? (I didn't think so.)

I have to say that your unawareness of a university as an institution is profound. You're a first year student, who has no idea from the inside of how and why a campus operates. For one thing, if you and a counselor conclude that staying on campus isn't where you need to be, s/he will work with you to transition out of the university. It's nothing to the counselor if you stay or withdraw.

The older returning or first-time university students usually do very well. First, they've had some real life experience under their belts. Second, they know why they are in school, what degree they want, and how they think it will benefit them. They are not only chronologically more mature, but emotionally more mature than some 19-year old with no sense of purpose, who attends class merely because Mom or Dad (who typically pays for the tuition) or his high school peer group expects it of him. "Returning" or "mature" students can be anywhere in age from their late 20s to 60s, and usually they are a joy to teach, vs. some teenager with a chip on his shoulder.

Joining the world of work, or taking a gap year to travel (if Mom will pay for that) seems like a much better use of your time and brain just now.

Funny how tough you talk when you've yet to cut the umbilical chord.
__________________
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. Jack Layton, "Letter to Canadians"

I thought we went along paths--but it seems there are no paths. The going itself is the path.
C.S. Lewis, Perelandra.

Life is not about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself. Message on a refrigerator magnet.

Last edited by waybread; 09-07-2017 at 04:21 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to waybread For This Useful Post:
Samantha Bean (09-07-2017)
  #23  
Unread 09-07-2017, 04:31 AM
tikana's Avatar
tikana tikana is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, Wales
Posts: 13,015
Re: Is college really that important?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppLeo View Post
I feel like dropping out because I'm learning nonsense. I feel like I could learn the things I want on my own.

But that degree is oh so important.

Could really use some advice from my astrology people because all of you are older
i told you ... .. remember the argument/discussion a few months ago... it is a waste of time.

now you know
__________________
I only read horary charts. Include your own interpretation. I don't care how desperate you are. I am not IKEA tech support or I will bill you $99.99 per minute
Christian astrology pdf
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Unread 09-07-2017, 04:49 AM
AppLeo's Avatar
AppLeo AppLeo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 11,902
Re: Is college really that important?

Quote:
Originally Posted by waybread View Post
AppLeo, after scanning your last post (and as a retired prof) I would suggest you withdraw now, if you can get your mother's tuition dollars refunded; or finish off this one term as best you can. Then go through the proper paperwork to take a formal leave of absence. This is just in case you wish to return, you won't have burned any bridges behind you. (Sometimes students who aren't in a good place at university simply stop showing up for class, don't take their exams, and flunk out. Then they may not be able to return, or cannot get admitted at another university with those Fs on their transcript.)
Okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waybread View Post
A university isn't about keeping you amused in class. The prof isn't some kind of entertainment system. It is about providing you with an e.d.u.c.a.t.i.o.n.
Isn't learning supposed to be interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waybread View Post
Since you apparently know everything you care to know already, your mother's tuition dollars would be wasted on you.
I offered to pay her back once I get a good job, but she said I didn't need to. And she's been wasting money on me since I was born. I don't even know why she had kids. I don't even know why I'm here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waybread View Post
And so would the experience. Students who love their college years typically make good friends,
Friends have never worked out for me. I hate being rejected and most people are just not worth my time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waybread View Post
participate in extra-curricular activities, and are actually eager to do well in their courses. If none of these benefits appeal to you, why are you even enrolled? To waste your mother's money? (I didn't think so.)
Why would I bother with those things? Where's my paycheck. I'm only hear to make a profit. I don't care about extra-curricular activities. I hate participating in groups. I hate my courses because they're boring. I'm only eager to do good in them for money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waybread View Post
I have to say that your unawareness of a university as an institution is profound. You're a first year student, who has no idea from the inside of how and why a campus operates.
Well it's a complicated system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waybread View Post
For one thing, if you and a counselor conclude that staying on campus isn't where you need to be, s/he will work with you to transition out of the university. It's nothing to the counselor if you stay or withdraw.
I don't care about what the counselor has to say. She doesn't care about my problems and what's best for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waybread View Post
The older returning or first-time university students usually do very well. First, they've had some real life experience under their belts. Second, they know why they are in school, what degree they want, and how they think it will benefit them.
I'm in school because I want money. That's all I care about. I chose a computer science to get an internship to get a job to make money.

If I won the lottery I wouldn't have gone to school. I would've skipped ditched k-12 and completely avoided college.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waybread View Post
They are not only chronologically more mature, but emotionally more mature than some 19-year old with no sense of purpose, who attends class merely because Mom or Dad (who typically pays for the tuition) or his high school peer group expects it of him.
Well what are you supposed to do when everyone expects you to? My parents don't want me to be a loser and they'd disown me. And I don't want to starve to death, so college it is.


Quote:
Originally Posted by waybread View Post
"Returning" or "mature" students can be anywhere in age from their late 20s to 60s, and usually they are a joy to teach, vs. some teenager with a chip on his shoulder.
Well sorry I'm not the perfect golden student.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waybread View Post
Joining the world of work, or taking a gap year to travel (if Mom will pay for that) seems like a much better use of your time and brain just now.
My parents wouldn't be able to comprehend such a thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waybread View Post
Funny how tough you talk when you've yet to cut the umbilical chord.
Yeah, yeah, yeah.
__________________
cobalt purple
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Unread 09-07-2017, 04:52 AM
AppLeo's Avatar
AppLeo AppLeo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 11,902
Re: Is college really that important?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikana View Post
i told you ... .. remember the argument/discussion a few months ago... it is a waste of time.

now you know
OMG how could I forget

Thanks for reminding me



.......
__________________
cobalt purple
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AppLeo For This Useful Post:
tikana (09-07-2017)
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 04:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2005-2018, AstrologyWeekly.com. Boards' structure and all posts are property of AstrologyWeekly.com and their respective creators. No part of the messages sent on these boards may be copied without their owners' explicit consent.