Reconciling Modern and Traditional Astrology---by Robert Hand

katydid

This is the link to an interesting podcast by Robert Hand.

I really would like to know what others think of this 'quest' by Hand, to try and 'reconcile' the two factions.

Robert Hand is a brilliant astrologer, in my personal opinion. And one of the main reasons that I am so interested in learning more about the traditional meanings is because of his studies and mission to uncover old texts.

Do any of the others here, from either Trad or Mod, think he is on the right track. From what has unfolded recently, I am going to guess that many of the Trads think he is a heretic?????:sideways: LOL

http://theastrologypodcast.com/2013/12/09/robert-hand-reconciling-modern-traditional-astrology/

In this episode of the podcast I interview world-renowned astrologer Robert Hand, and we talk about the issue of rebuilding the links between modern and traditional astrology.
Rob is known for books such as Planets in Transit, Planets in Composite, and Horoscope Symbols, although he is also known for his work in recovering and reviving older forms of astrology.
He is getting ready to present a two day online webinar on Whole Sign Houses later this week on December 14 & 15, 2013, and you can find out more information about it on his website at ARHATmedia.com.

katydid

from an interview on the subject:
http://www.accessnewage.com/articles/astro/hand1.htm

A Conversation with Robert Hand on Astrology :
snipped for space….
AccessNewAge:
This raises a question. The ancients only had seven planets. We have more now, and asteroids - whatever...and you are studying, of course, the traditional astrology.

Rob:
Yes, and almost all of us use the modern planets. We put them into a special category. We don't give them sign rulerships, for example. We only give them house and sign placements, but not rulerships.

AccessNewAge:
How did the ancients deal with the energies of these planets when they didn't have the actual planets to call upon?

Rob:
Actually, if you look at Uranus, Neptune and Pluto you will see that their natures have been largely created by taking away characteristics of the inner planets.

AccessNewAge:
Octaves...

Rob:
Not even octaves. It's much more hash-like than that. Pluto, for example, although it is usually described as a higher octave of Mars, has actually taken most of its keywords from Saturn. If you study Saturn keywords before you study Pluto, and then you study modern Plutonian keywords, you find a tremendous overlap. Occasionally you get a little Moon in there. Neptune, which is often described as the higher octave of Venus, has actually stolen most of its keywords from the Moon. And Uranus, which is described as a higher octave of Mercury, uses a combination of Mercury and Mars keywords.

(Rob's focus on ancient astrology in recent years has yielded invaluable information of which this kind of observation is a mere taste. There are translations, treatises and monographs that expound upon this and other topics, but before completely departing the topic of becoming a student of astrology)

Rob continued:
"I actually think at this point that the best training a beginning astrologer can get is to take horary classes - start from the beginning with horary."