Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > Anything Else... > Chat

Chat For posts that don't have to do with astrological chart interpretation, but they're still important to you. Gossip, show off, hot topic, spiritual thoughts, Sun sign astrological discussions, chit chat: come in and share!

Unread 03-21-2020, 05:32 PM

Re: Random Thoughts, strictly Text

Good is good - lesser, greater, middling - makes no difference. The degree is arbitary, the definitions blurred, if I’m to choose between one good and another, I’d rather not choose at all.

Unread 03-21-2020, 05:53 PM

Smile Re: Random Thoughts, strictly Text

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppLeo View Post
There is no such thing as a greater good
But Greed is the Greater Bad.
The Following User Says Thank You to david starling For This Useful Post:
leomoon (03-22-2020)
Unread 03-22-2020, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opal View Post
I just read that Walmart is hiring in North America. Not sure on where or how factual the source is.

I saw the same thing yesterday Opal. I looked up Walmart in the UK and there is one, but it goes by another name.....near Piccadilly? in London.

p.s. I don't believe that Saul was Josephus. Although Saul was both Jewish & Greek/Roman, and Josephus was Hebrew & Roman. That's probably the only similarity. As Saul, he was described as hot-head.

When I was a young girl, I read Taylor Caldwells "Great Lion of God" quite a good read for sure., likely would be today too and in the Libraries. She was a prolific writer in her day, popping out these huge paperbacks, and recalled lives in ancient Palestine.

She said these stories just came to her effortless in her sleep, and the next morning she'd write it all down before forgetting.

I loved her work.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor_Caldwell

from this link:
Quote:

Around 1970, she became interested in reincarnation. She had become friends with well-known occultist author Jess Stearn, who suggested that the vivid detail in her many historical novels was actually subconscious recollection of previous lives. She agreed to be hypnotized and undergo "past life regression" to disprove reincarnation. However, according to Stearn's book, The Search for a Soul – Taylor Caldwell's Psychic Lives (1973), Caldwell instead began to recall her own past lives – eleven in all, including one on the "lost" continent of Lemuria.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...at_Lion_of_God

Daniel rated it it was amazing Her best biblical character novel by far! I have read it 3 times!

You might want to check out the many comments. She also wrote one about Luke called "Dear & Glorious Physician"

People in the 70s, were devouring her books, all of them. I think most thought she was a man back then from the name she used.
Unread 03-22-2020, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petosiris View Post
Good is good - lesser, greater, middling - makes no difference. The degree is arbitary, the definitions blurred, if I’m to choose between one good and another, I’d rather not choose at all.
Okay first of all, not choosing between two goods is essentially choosing neutrality over a good – which is a loss and taking an unnecessary loss is stupid.

Second, you misinterpreted me. I'm not speaking about degree of goodness. I am speaking of goodness on a collective scale. The greater good is also known at the collective good, the common good, the good for the majority... A good, however, cannot be attributed to society; it can only be attributed to individuals.

A good for society is actually a good for some individuals at the expense of other individuals.
Unread 03-22-2020, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david starling View Post
But Greed is the Greater Bad.
Depends how you define greed.
Unread 03-22-2020, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leomoon View Post
I saw the same thing yesterday Opal. I looked up Walmart in the UK and there is one, but it goes by another name.....near Piccadilly? in London.

p.s. I don't believe that Saul was Josephus. Although Saul was both Jewish & Greek/Roman, and Josephus was Hebrew & Roman. That's probably the only similarity. As Saul, he was described as hot-head.

I am undecided. It is something, I read. I will try to find the source. It is something I read within the last year.

When I was a young girl, I read Taylor Caldwells "Great Lion of God" quite a good read for sure., likely would be today too and in the Libraries. She was a prolific writer in her day, popping out these huge paperbacks, and recalled lives in ancient Palestine.

She said these stories just came to her effortless in her sleep, and the next morning she'd write it all down before forgetting.

I loved her work.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor_Caldwell

from this link:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...at_Lion_of_God

Daniel rated it it was amazing Her best biblical character novel by far! I have read it 3 times!

You might want to check out the many comments. She also wrote one about Luke called "Dear & Glorious Physician"

People in the 70s, were devouring her books, all of them. I think most thought she was a man back then from the name she used.
I haven't read fiction in years. I stopped because it clouded reading history or one persons his-story and I didn't want to misplace what I read as fiction with fact. But, then, even with that, there is a lot of nonfiction, that is not very factual.
The Following User Says Thank You to Opal For This Useful Post:
leomoon (03-22-2020)
Unread 03-22-2020, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Okay first of all, not choosing between two goods is essentially choosing neutrality over a good – which is a loss and taking an unnecessary loss is stupid.

Second, you misinterpreted me. I'm not speaking about degree of goodness. I am speaking of goodness on a collective scale. The greater good is also known at the collective good, the common good, the good for the majority... A good, however, cannot be attributed to society; it can only be attributed to individuals.

A good for society is actually a good for some individuals at the expense of other individuals.
I was ''quoting'' Geralt of Rivia kek.
Unread 03-22-2020, 05:23 PM

But the Bible promises eternal rewards for people who try to achieve the good of others. You are more blessed when you give than when you receive - Acts 20:35.
Unread 03-22-2020, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Good is good - lesser, greater, middling - makes no difference. The degree is arbitrary, the definitions blurred, if I’m to choose between one good and another, I’d rather not choose at all.

Interesting opinion. But I haven't put it into proper context yet (with the other posts) but perhaps will when I have time to read.

Meanwhile Edgar Cayce said many times, "The sin of omission is worse then the sin of commission". In other words, omitting to do right when we know in our heart its the right thing to do. He explained that Jesus forgave the sinners who repented, but brought to mind, those who omitted doing right by another when they could have. Seems its more about the heart, then the brain & logic.

Of course even this concept (right vs wrong) can be argued ad-infitum from Descartes, to St. Thomas Aquinas, to Spinoza, and on and on and on.... I dabbled in philosophy admittedly, but I always try and come back to the simple rules.

"Do unto others as you have them do unto you" known as the Golden Rule.
I saw a little face once upon a time, long ago, on CCF (Christian Children's Fund), and my husband and I decided to take that child on,by doing so, it turned out to be the entire family of 5 kids and the parents too., and do what we'd want done for ourselves. I use to call my husband an Athiest, but really we are both Agnostics, although I've worked on him for 50 years now, and he's finally come around a bit. He was never an AThiest, just thought he was,

Point being, we were in a LOT of personal pain, and regardless of that at the time, and reason behind "doing the good and right", it was a wonderfully spiritual experience for all of us. We wrote to him twice a month, he wrote back, as he grew up. It was a Muslim family btw, so we learned background of the culture at the same time. We were lucky enough to be able to share some of our bounty for 10 years until he became a teenager, and I even dreamed of him often. I wish I could gather all needy people in the world, and cannot stand to see suffering around me.

Funny aside, during this time, another child caught my eye, a Christian this time in Kenya. The family I mentioned was in Senegal. But the other in Kenya, whose biggest dream in life was to have an Umbrella to walk to school with, his uncle told us. Such a simple request I thought, and of course, he had his umbrella and food that month.

They have since changed their name but same location:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ChildFund
I think they always had a rather good rating and they certainly do keep in touch with you to answer any questions or to gain the information you want of your sponsored child. i.e. "what does the family need?" (be careful of that one, lol) I thought " a bookbag for school, clothes? Well,needs came in order of most pressing, like 1) a roof 2) a bed and mattress 3) a stove, etc.

Somehow, we got over the shock of the answer, and they rec'd everything much to my pleasure of affording them their OWN livelihood with the stove. Mom bakes & sells at the beaches. A wonderful cook ,btw.

80cents per every $1.00 is a good rating:
https://www.charitynavigator.org/ind...ary&orgid=3499

Its so personally rewarding to give of ourselves when faced with need in the world.

I don't think we should ever do anything to get a thank you either, always remembering that feeds our egos and sort of eliminates the unconditional good that one does.

Plus astrologically speaking, I really believe it "counts" towards a better future lifetime, if indeed anyone believes in such things. Our natal charts reflect what we made of our lives in other experiences, whether these lives all happen at once, or linearly. Jupiter has saved me from terrible losses too, in this lifetime. (I have a double edged sword with Jupiter, but it rules by 9th house) Yet my Jupiter also (the double edged sword) provide my chart with a "definite" loss in the house of my children, and so be it...it was fated.

Last edited by leomoon; 03-22-2020 at 10:06 PM.
Unread 03-22-2020, 06:25 PM

Quote:
But the Bible promises eternal rewards for people who try to achieve the good of others. You are more blessed when you give than when you receive - Acts 20:35.
Give everything you own to a homeless person.
Unread 03-22-2020, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Give everything you own to a homeless person.
God have mercy upon us - Matthew 19:16-30, Mark 10:17-31, Luke 18:18-30.
Unread 03-22-2020, 06:57 PM

Perfect examples of why most spiritual but not religious people don't like discussing religion - it takes folks like Opal and Leomoon away from doing the good works that reflect that the hand of the Divine fashioned our own.
leomoon (03-22-2020)
Unread 03-22-2020, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by passiflora View Post
Perfect examples of why most spiritual but not religious people don't like discussing religion - it takes folks like Opal and Leomoon away from doing the good works that reflect that the hand of the Divine fashioned our own.
''Let your light shine before all men'' doesn't mean that kind of boasting passi. - Matthew 6:3
Unread 03-22-2020, 08:46 PM

Opal and leomoon, that wasn’t boasting, whatever insults from the preacher aside. Hope you both are well!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to passiflora For This Useful Post:
leomoon (03-22-2020), Opal (03-22-2020)
Unread 03-22-2020, 08:54 PM

Christians are taught to give the needy in secret - Matthew 6:3 and to boast only in the Lord - 1 Corinthians 1:31, because they believe there will be a judgement and recompense by a just God who will reveal all works and thoughts of men.
Unread 03-22-2020, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Christians are taught to give the needy in secret - Matthew 6:3 and to boast only in the Lord - 1 Corinthians 1:31, because they believe there will be a judgement and recompense by a just God who will reveal all works and thoughts of men.
What about being saved by faith and not by works?
Unread 03-22-2020, 09:35 PM

Quote:
''Let your light shine before all men'' doesn't mean that kind of boasting passi. - Matthew 6:3

I try, everyday. (Personally speaking)...

As for helping the poor in other countries, My grief was so great as I tried to say as background, we really found our relief not in churches, not in buildings but in people.

To each their own of course.

note: my son -in -law (Asc & Sun in Capricorn) and a military Naval Academy grad, I recall said to us when we asked our grandchildren (his little ones) if they'd like to send their drawings to Senegal with my letters ----that "we" (his in laws), like doing this because its really for US rather then for Ngagne & his family.

I had to admit, "yes its true".....It helped us immensely which my son in law "should have known" already.

People do what people must to survive. Especially when they lose children.
The Following User Says Thank You to leomoon For This Useful Post:
Opal (03-22-2020)
Unread 03-22-2020, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leomoon View Post
I try, everyday. (Personally speaking)...

As for helping the poor in other countries, My grief was so great as I tried to say as background, we really found our relief not in churches, not in buildings but in people.

To each their own of course.

note: my son -in -law (Asc & Sun in Capricorn) and a military Naval Academy grad, I recall said to us when we asked our grandchildren (his little ones) if they'd like to send their drawings to Senegal with my letters ----that "we" (his in laws), like doing this because its really for US rather then for Ngagne & his family.

I had to admit, "yes its true".....It helped us immensely which my son in law "should have known" already.

People do what people must to survive. Especially when they lose children.
Nothing owed, nothing expected. The blessing is shared.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to david starling For This Useful Post:
leomoon (03-22-2020), Opal (03-22-2020)
Unread 03-22-2020, 09:59 PM

Quote:

I never quite got that myself. What in the world is it saying in 10 words or less of course? I do have immeasurable faith however even when occasionally its depleted, it is then regenerated by me. Yet sometimes, its an intellectual thing I have with the saying itself trying to logic it out. Same with a saying on the Gospel of Thomas (if anyone has a clue what it means, I'd love to consider your interp)
http://absentofi.org/2012/05/blessed...h-becomes-man/

This is my fav:
Love "If I give all I possess to the poor and exult in the surrender of my body, but have not love, I gain nothing. Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no account of wrongs.Berean Study Bible

I think the keeping no account of wrongs (perceived that is); can be extremely difficult with Scorpio Moons and Scorpio Sun., even Rising (as in my husband's chart. Perhaps with ALL Of us, but seems to me with family members having these positions, the "past" is as good as the "now". My late mother was Sun Sag, quite an evolved spirit really, even the Vedic Astrologers told me this, because of her reflected Kasari Yoga. (Jupiter/Moon cj.) rising.
And she had a Scorpio ASC. so I'd say not all Scorpios fit the bill I described, only some in my own family (all 3 daughters) and my dear husband who knows better and overcomes well. But speaking of the "propensity" towards the sign's position and strength in one's chart.
Its a matter of willing and overcoming I suppose.
Mom did it.

Probably the worse for keeping grudges however, in my immediate realm (other then those who died years ago like 2 aunts, a maternal grandmother, all of them Scorpio Sun - AND 2 daughters (one with Moon in Scorpio, deceased) one Scorpio Rising and the worse of all for keeping the past alive if she felt injured at all would be the Scorpio at the MC.

I know Tad Mann referred to the MC as terribly important angle when souls incarnate. I'll have to refresh my memory by checking his book again. (someday)

I am perpetually sad over it, but everyone has their own free will to choose their path in life.

Last edited by leomoon; 03-22-2020 at 10:11 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leomoon For This Useful Post:
david starling (03-22-2020), Opal (03-22-2020)
Unread 03-22-2020, 10:00 PM

Yes, sometimes the grief is so great that the only thing that will raise you in the morning is the possibility that you can shine a little light and beauty into the world. 🌦
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to passiflora For This Useful Post:
david starling (03-22-2020), leomoon (03-23-2020), Opal (03-22-2020)
Unread 03-22-2020, 10:57 PM

Quote:
What use is it, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but he has no works? Can that faith save him? If a brother or sister is without clothing and in need of daily food, and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and be filled,” and yet you do not give them what is necessary for their body, what use is that? Even so faith, if it has no works, is dead, being by itself.

But someone may well say, “You have faith and I have works; show me your faith without the works, and I will show you my faith by my works.” You believe that God is one. You do well; the demons also believe, and shudder. But are you willing to recognize, you foolish fellow, that faith without works is useless? Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered up Isaac his son on the altar? You see that faith was working with his works, and as a result of the works, faith was perfected; and the Scripture was fulfilled which says, “And Abraham believed God, and it was reckoned to him as righteousness,” and he was called the friend of God. You see that a man is justified by works and not by faith alone. In the same way, was not Rahab the harlot also justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out by another way? For just as the body without the spirit is dead, so also faith without works is dead. - https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...2&version=NASB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CTEHF5conY
The Following User Says Thank You to petosiris For This Useful Post:
david starling (03-22-2020)
Unread 03-22-2020, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Thank you Passiflora, for your kind actions. I have known Leomoon for a long time. In times of ups and downs, we both give what we can, if not money, of our time. Sometimes, time is more important than money. It is not meant to boast, though some may see it that way. It is meant to direct others, who at this time, are unsure of what to do. Having been down on my luck before, I noticed that the cosmos, looked favourably upon me when I gave of myself. If I had no cigarettes, a pack would appear. (I have since quit smoking) If I had no food, it would appear. If I gave of myself, even though things seemed destitute, if I gave of myself, the cosmos made sure that I had what I needed. Not wanted. Needed. So I have people that call me. Some hire me. Some need a ride, or toilet paper or, like yesterday someone to talk to. If that is boasting, I am okay with it.

If you see someone that needs a hand up and not a hand out, consider what is you can do. Do not go beyond reasonability, the cosmos is just looking for what you can do.
leomoon (03-23-2020)
Unread 03-22-2020, 11:34 PM

"Whatsoever one soweth, so shall one also reap." -{VI Galatians}
The Following User Says Thank You to david starling For This Useful Post:
Opal (03-22-2020)
Unread 03-23-2020, 12:06 AM

Well, I was cleaning up the garage this afternoon, it never endsand I was thinking, I can't afford to buy bedding plants this year. Then I thought about a book sale that I was at last year, it was an estate sale. The people were throwing out bags of seeds that the man had collected over the years, they asked if I would take them, I said okay. But, as my filing goes, I didn't know where to look.

The coronavirus, also has me cleaning my office. Five minutes ago, guess what I found, all the seeds, in a box, in the back of the office closet. I will have flowers this year. Apparently, maybe some veggies too!

Thanks Cosmos!

Last edited by Opal; 03-23-2020 at 12:07 AM. Reason: The upside of the Corona virus
leomoon (03-23-2020)
Unread 03-23-2020, 12:14 AM
Account Closed

Lovely 😊 look on the bright side of life
The Following User Says Thank You to Hkk For This Useful Post:
Opal (03-23-2020)