Random Thoughts, strictly Text

petosiris

Banned
''You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment.''

You can't serve the immortal God with dynamic uncertainty or for a week while cutting yourself.

david starling

I can't live in dynamic uncertainty because I'm a human being. I need to know things to live a fulfilled life.

When I know what is and what isn't I can make decisions to improve my life and do so confidently when I have logical reasons for every decision I make.

There's no need for me to live in a constant state of "dynamic uncertainty." If I'm ever uncertain of something, I either leave it alone because it's not important or relevant to me, or I quickly and effectively figure it out, so that I can move on in my life in a positive direction.

"Often Wrong, But Never in Doubt" school of Philosophy! :biggrin:

AppLeo

You don't need to worry about how I live my life, friend.

Well, I'm just saying, humans, need to know what is and wasn't to live a good life. Especially spiritual subjects like God and religion.

If you're constantly second-guessing and are unsure about something like God, and you're actually taking it seriously, I don't know how it wouldn't drive you crazy. If I couldn't figure out what to do with something so important like religion or ethics, I'd be a mess. I'd have no direction or purpose.

I remember when I did take religion seriously. And I thought I was going to go to hell. But then I thought that I would be wasting my time because what if God doesn't exist and I'm just being an idiot. Then I thought that I should just subscribe to all religions a little to just be safe. IF this God isn't right, then I should at least be covered with one of the other ones. And then people said that you just shouldn't eve be religious if you're just going to dabble. And then I thought, what kind of morals should I have if I don't have religious virtues to follow? How do I know what to do? This is so important.

You shouldn't live life like that. You want to be confident and sure what you know. Not some ***** *** skeptic who constantly doubts themselves and never knows what to believe. That's ********. It's weak and irresponsible. Clever too. By not claiming knowledge you don't bare the burden of having to defend it.

conspiracy theorist

I've seen the charts of Uranus, Appleo and Petosiris and I can say that each one of them show a higher need for certainty and a strong ballast to ground themselves in than mine does. I have a high propensity for change, and sudden change at that, which has borne itself out in the actual events of my life thus far.

conspiracy theorist

Well, I'm just saying, humans, need to know what is and wasn't to live a good life. Especially spiritual subjects like God and religion.

If you're constantly second-guessing and are unsure about something like God, and you're actually taking it seriously, I don't know how it wouldn't drive you crazy. If I couldn't figure out what to do with something so important like religion or ethics, I'd be a mess. I'd have no direction or purpose.

I remember when I did take religion seriously. And I thought I was going to go to hell. But then I thought that I would be wasting my time because what if God doesn't exist and I'm just being an idiot. Then I thought that I should just subscribe to all religions a little to just be safe. IF this God isn't right, then I should at least be covered with one of the other ones. And then people said that you just shouldn't eve be religious if you're just going to dabble. And then I thought, what kind of morals should I have if I don't have religious virtues to follow? How do I know what to do? This is so important.

You shouldn't live life like that. You want to be confident and sure what you know. Not some ***** *** skeptic who constantly doubts themselves and never knows what to believe. That's ********. It's weak and irresponsible. Clever too. By not claiming knowledge you don't bare the burden of having to defend it.

lol

You'd die from anxiety if you led the kind of life that I do. The great thing about some of us is that we don't gather knowledge and gain wisdom & insight about ourselves and the world around us, in order to win arguments with others.

AppLeo

lol

You'd die from anxiety if you led the kind of life that I do. The great thing about some of us is that we don't gather knowledge and gain wisdom & insight about ourselves and the world around us, in order to win arguments with others.

You must think lowly of me to say that. Thanks a lot.

AppLeo

Fine. Could you elaborate on what you meant by "By not claiming knowledge you don't bare the burden of having to defend it."?

If you claim to know nothing you're intellectually lazy. If you don't come to conclusions, no one can argue with you. You don't have to make sure your thinking makes sense if you don't think about anything to begin with.

conspiracy theorist

I can think of other ways why someone would want to keep their knowledge hidden. Dissimulation and holding oneself in reserve for more important situations are some that immediately come to mind.

Do you find me intellectually lazy? Does my thinking make sense to you?

petosiris

Banned
I think you can have a discussion without reading any books, anyway. The person you're arguing against should be able to understand your premises and conclusions without having to read a book, unless the subject is super complicated and involves terms that are beyond the average person. Religion is not a complicated subject.

I was going to reply that you need to study the Scriptures before you understand its claims, but you edited the post in the meantime. We would not believe that Jesus of Nazareth is the Messiah if he didn't fulfill certain criteria made by the prophets, likewise the prophets must fulfill certain criteria of credibility and so on, though the ultimate source of all claims is monotheism rather than polytheism, atheism or something else.

Last edited:

AppLeo

What differentiates good suffering from bad suffering?

That's a difficult question to answer and isn't exactly something that can be answered in one post.

But good suffering is seeking out challenges and obstacles to overcome. A life without suffering is good because it's easy and comfortable. But you can enjoy greater comforts and a sense of fulfillment when you pursue and achieve things that require you to work, put in the effort, and go through pain.

Like, getting rejected by many people until you finally make that one friend. A life alone is comfortable, but a life with a friend is more rewarding despite the pain you had to go through to get that friend.

AppLeo

I can think of other ways why someone would want to keep their knowledge hidden. Dissimulation and holding oneself in reserve for more important situations are some that immediately come to mind.

What does hiding your knowledge have to do with avoiding knowledge?

Do you find me intellectually lazy? Does my thinking make sense to you?

No it doesn't make sense. I don't understand why anyone would be an agnostic given what we know about religion and God.

Last edited:

conspiracy theorist

What does hiding your knowledge have to do with avoiding knowledge?

No it doesn't make sense. I don't understand why anyone would be an agnostic given what we know about religion and God.

Claiming to know nothing can be one who actually doesn't know, or one who hides what they know.

Could you describe the survey that you have done in your researches on God and Religion? "We" might know something of God, but what have you found in your forays?

conspiracy theorist

That's a difficult question to answer and isn't exactly something that can be answered in one post.

But good suffering is seeking out challenges and obstacles to overcome. A life without suffering is good because it's easy and comfortable. But you can enjoy greater comforts and a sense of fulfillment when you pursue and achieve things that require you to work, put in the effort, and go through pain.

Like, getting rejected by many people until you finally make that one friend. A life alone is comfortable, but a life with a friend is more rewarding despite the pain you had to go through to get that friend.

That's a fair answer, but it has holes imo. And someone who had such a view on life, yet gained nothing through said voluntary suffering would have an existential crises once they realize that their conception of reality wasn't in line with the experiences that they've encountered in their life.