Is your current profession related to your MC?".

Summery Joy

Hey everyone,

Since the Midheaven is a major placement affecting career, I thought this poll would be cool to monitor. The question is, "Is your current profession related to your MC?". Consider all placemets in relation to yor MC before answering, i.e. don't just think of the sign in which the MC cusp lies. Think of major aspects to the MC.

Note. For students, consider what you are studying instead of your profession.

My answer is a big fat No by the way. :shock:

OK. Let's go. :D

kyle8921

I'm not really sure... I'm only 16, but I'd like to go into either Politics, because I feel the system is extremely corrupt and SOMEONE has to stand up and fix it (since the voters here in America don't), Graphic Arts and Design, or possibly Astronomy.

My MC is squaring Mercury and Venus, Opposing Mars, and PERFECTLY conjunctioning Pluto on the exact degree, on the sign of Scorpio between houses 9 and 10 (all this at 15 degress Scorpio.) It's also sexitiling Saturn and Neptune.

I have no idea what this means. But, I thought that only Saturn and the Tenth House ruled one's career?

Aleph

Hmm, no not really at all... My Midheaven is Taurus, of which I hear pertains to the Earth, buildings, and finance, etc... but I do Tech support over the phone, so yeah, not really connected as far as I can tell.
Actually, my midheaven is totally outside of everything else of my chart, nothing (that I know of), interacts with it in any way.. so that could be why its not of ultra-importance. Interestingly enough, just like Kyle said, I'd like to go into politics as well... and I think the rest of my chart fits for politics too.

devalight

This is an interesting question. I have a Moon Venus conjunction at the MC in Gemini (an intellectual sign) with trines to Jupiter (law) in the 2nd house and Mars ( death, inheritance and other people's money) in the 8th. My profession is legal assistant doing probate and estate plannning work. The answer is yes!

Summery Joy

OK.

Kyle, if you do go into "politics" with the purpose of "fixing" the "corrupt" system (which would probably be done by destroying everything and building from scratch), then your profession would be directly related to your Scorpio MC conjunting Pluto. Scorpio and Pluto specialize and destruction and rebuilding (fixing the corrupt) and dealing with other people's values and resources (politics). :)

Aleph, MC in Taurus and no other related placement doesn't specify a certain career path but rather suggests that you would be doing something that'll keep you financially secure and help you maintain a premium image. If you make good money doing that telephone job, then your answer should be yes.

Devalight. Wow! Your answer really should be yes :) I'd like to say that those placements also mean you'd do great in show business.

I never said anything about my MC. Well, it's in aquarius and trines libra pluto in the 5th house and opposes a stellium of planets in leo and the 4th house. I'm an accountant :shock: I started as a business consultant which was in conformity with that pluto placement but things took a different path and right now I'm very dissatisfied with what I do. I guess the powerful opposition with MC will always give me dissatisfaction with my career.

cara4art

According to my Sag MC, I should be teaching, but I LOATHE teaching! Or working outdoors. I have done outdoor work(taking care of horses as part of a live-in caretaking job for a couple of years), and that was good. Currently I work on my art and design at home, increasingly in digital media.

F

Fogwolf

Wow, never thought about this. But yes, I'd have to say mine does.

My MC is Sagittarius, and while I'm still only a student, I'm a uni student studying linguistics, literature, and most notably philosophy. I'm not sure where I'm headed with this, but it has crossed my mind that becoming an academic would be cool. There isn't much else that interests me, anyway. Given that Sag is connected with philosophy and higher education (I think?) it seems to fit.

Angel of Something

I'm still a student, but I want to go into electronics, I think. With a Virgo MC, that seems to fit.... electronics is a science, and science is trying to questing for the answers to stuff, and keeping the details in mind. I dunno, Virgo just seems like a scientific sign to me.

I'm not quite sure about how to put the aspects into that, though.

sextile Pluto in 12th
inconjunct Venus in 3
trine Mars in 6
trine Saturn in 2
trine Neptune in 2
(these are all within 5 degrees and the inconjunct is 2 degrees)

And nothing is in my 10th house but Lilith.

Amazon1963

This is a wonderful poll question! Here is something else to consider while thinking about career or job choices too. Currently in American society we live many, many more years beyond the survival ages of our ancestors. Many of them are very healthy and chose to continue working well into what was once termed, 'retirement' age. Recently, there was a news story about the oldest living and active female attorney in the USA, she was 94 and still went to the office every single day, with no plans for any immediate retirement! She was fortunate and decisive in finding her vocation and has found enjoyment and satisfaction some 70+ years later.

At the age of 42, I have had 3 distinct and different careers and am in the process of building the third. Several months back when I first joined this forum I posed the question about my natal chart energies and this new career choice. TC Wilson was very insightful in his interpretation as follows:

With your Moon (home) focused in the 4h house (home), it is not surprising that you work with real estate. With the South node (easy goals) focused in the 2nd house (physical, also money), you used to approach making money in real estate from a "physical" point of view (construction). But now you have moved into your North node (future goals) focused in the 8th house (other people's money) you now approach them from the point of view of "others" (brokerage). Since you have an "others" focused chart, this is a natural and efficient use of your energies. Since Cancer (home) modifies the North node (future goals) and since Moon (home) trines your North node, the "home" focus is still very much part of your future goals. And with a T-square focused on Gemini (thinking, also sales) modifying Mercury (thinking, also sales) conjunct (energy is combined with) Venus (relationships) conjunct the Descendant (others), sales are very much a part of your approach to the world.

One very important lesson I have learned is not to pursue something simply because the pay is 'good' rather, to do what makes me happiest and is the most fulfilling. This is not an easy journey for everyone. Perhaps for some it is about the money. But, if you are going to live and work past the age of say, 65 or 72 yrs, wouldnt it be better to have work that you love? I have never once met a person who was highly successful in their careers or jobs, who didnt find great satisfaction in their work.

TC Wilson is very clear when he interprets and goes further to state that the energies are there natally, but what you chose to do with that energy is solely up to the individual.

So, learn about your energies, strengths and weaknesses and chase your interests and dreams, you never know where it might lead you!... :D

My MC is in Virgo with a stellium also in Virgo in the 9th house.

June 14, 1963 @ 6:25pm, EST in Augusta, Georgia, USA

Elianah

One of the things I have noticed with my chart is that I really need to include the sign that is not on the midheaven but also the sign within the 10th house because it is the greater majority of the house. My MC is 27 Virgo but the primary, hidden sign is Libra.

I also consider the rulers of the two signs of the house into the mix: Mercury and Venus. By looking at their aspects along with my actual midheaven gives me a clearer picture of what I have done, possibly why I have done it and my future path.

The thing I find interesting about the MC and 10th house in total is that it is more than just career, which is how American astrology has come to define it the last 50 years or so. The MC and 10th is about the public—how the client interacts and define what "public" is for a client and how the "public" sees the client's role in society. One role is the career, and yet there is so much more to the MC and 10th than just the career. The "Public" house also speaks of what the client's legacy to the greater public will be and how to make it happen.

The 10th house is a Cardinal house, which speaks of putting things into action. It is also a feminine Earth house, which requires forethought and planning and grounding of ideas to make them reality. These qualities never change, only are colored by the filters of the signs and planets found within the 10th house.

My 2¢ worth. Take what works for you and ditch the rest.

Elianah

Hi Aleph,

Look at where Venus is in your chart and see if it has any aspects to Uranus and Saturn, the co-rulers of Aquarius. This may be part of the reason you are in Tech Support at this moment. Taurus can also be a narrowly-focused mind (its modality is fixed), which in the case of Tech Support can be a blessing. You can more easily focus in on what is going on and get it corrected with much less effort than some of your co-workers. The Venus placement will tell you how you build relationships between yourself and others in such a way to support your own self-worth as well as the person on the other end of the line. Does it work all the time? No, that's part of what it is to be human.

According to research studies, most U.S. adults will average about six different careers in their lifetimes. Depending on when you were born, you may only be in your first or second career. Although you may not see a lot of the Taurus MC in your choice of career at this time, it may play out in a much deeper way as you progress through the spiral of your chart. Also, progressed charts will change the prospectus, so to speak, of your natal MC. Pardon the financial lingo, Taurus can do that to me at times. :lol: For instance, if your MC is mid to late Taurus (15°-29°59'), your progressed MC has already moved into (and possibly through) Gemini.

Tech Support and Gemini sounds more like a match than Tech Support and Taurus, right? So you are right now doing a career that filters your Taurus MC through a communicative, educative bent. You are giving people the confidence of using computers (or other electronics) through talking them through their problem, giving them solutions in a manner that they can understand them or explaining that they may need to take the equipment into be repaired.

How does the Taurus MC underlie this? Perhaps you get a great sense of satisfaction when you have done your work well. It boosts your confidence and your self-worth and self-esteem when you do your job well. Others in the workplace sense that. The workplace "public" sees you as self-confident and able to get the job done, no matter the situation in this scenario. So your Taurus MC is affecting the "public," even though the choice of job may seem non-Taurian.

My 2¢ worth. Take what fits and ditch the rest.

Summery Joy

Elianah: The MC/Virgo/Libra situation of yours is interesting. What is your current profession?

Angel of Something: Let's look at the placements seprately.

MC in Virgo suggests working with something than need a lot of attention to details
sextile Pluto in 12th suggests careers that involves "fixing" or "rebuilding" things.
inconjunct Venus in 3 suggests a creative career or one that secures a wealthy lifestyle.
trine Mars in 6 suggests careers that require energy and/or decisiveness
trine Saturn in 2 suggests structured careers that need systems and orderly manners of doing things
trine Neptune in 2 suggests careers that are humane in nature or in illusions like the film industry.

I don't know anything about electronics so it's up to you to whether any of these placements relate to your profession.

sita

my calling

i went to school/am working to go back to school to be an art teacher. i have in my natal:
MC, neptune, athena, and part of fortune in the 10th house sagittarius
saturn in 7th house leo
jupiter in the 5th house cancer
moon in the 5th house gemini

Basicly i want to unconditionally love and mother children by using art, creativity and ideas to help them explore new horizons in themselves, and to simultaneously insure expansion of universal love consciouness on as big of a scale as i can intimately handle working with (a classroom of kids). I'm gonna be one rockin' teacher, but let's see how well my
9th house uranus in scorpio (rebellious ideas) get integrated with my oppositional venus in taurus third house (resistance to change in the public school agenda for young children) and then we'll know how i'll fare professionally. Also for me to consider is pluto in the eighth house libra... fairly balancing taxpayers money in the classroom where my oppositional aries sun just wants it done/spent MY way. Good thing my mars is in the sixth house, cause I'll probably have to work my butt off. Atleast I'm forewarned: I love astrology!!

Last edited:

Elianah

Sorehearted,

I am kind of treading water right now doing temp work which is very unfulfilling (surprise surprise :shock: :shock: ).

Actually, let me give you my birth data because it will help you see how the MC, 10th and its rulers impact the rest of the chart.

July 26, 1958 3:49 p.m. CST Des Moines, Iowa.

Part of my education (undergraduate and Masters) and career experience is in Public Relations/Marketing. I have done massage training, polarity therapy training as well as Masters level work in Jewish Studies.

Summery Joy

Elianah,

The public relations / Marketing career is obviously an effect of the MC sextile Sun and Square Venus. With Jupiter in the 10th house, the Masters level work in Jewish Studies is no surprise :) Also, Jupiter will encourage diverse fields of study, especially abstract/spiritual/phylosophical ones. I don't know what to make out fo MC's square Saturn. All the interpretations rushing through my head now have little to do with what career you choose.

I think the fact that you feel your Libra MC portion than that of Virgo is that the North node points at Libra. It's effect will impel you to relate more to other people in order to find your true identity. And the fact that all of this happens in the 10th house is pretty much why that this tendency is very obvious in your career.

Yeah. I guess with all those placements, Virgo's practical, analytical effect is not the most shiny. But I'm sure it's still there somewhere :)

Aleph

Elianah,
You're always so full of insight, arent you? I really do enjoy reading your posts, especially when they pertain to me! But to answer some of the questions that have been posed: What brought me to doing tech support originally was my love of computers and technology, but I've since learned the immense satisfaction I get from helping people. Venus though, is conjuncted with Mercury (which I believe helps me in my communicative skills), but thats all Venus does, she's hanging out in Virgo though. As far as planets go, I think that my Sun in Leo, and my Mercury in Virgo (retrograde) has more to do with my current job. It gives me a friendly, sunny personality, yet analytical enough to solve some issues. You could consider this my second career-path, so to speak, so I will definitely be looking forward to how my Taurus MC will play out in the future.

Ever thankful,
Aleph

Elianah

Hi Aleph,

Well, in all reality, no...I am not that full of insight. I just try to add a little here and a little there to help expand the thought process. Sometimes it helps and sometimes the person may think it is b-s. I've been told both. Where it falls for you, I don't know...

And taking the MC out of context of the whole chart, while interesting as it may be, doesn't bring out the full flavor of what a career path for a person might be. For instance, knowing that you are most likely a double Leo (Leo Sun and ASC) will play into how you structure your career path as much as your MC. What sign you have on the cusp of the 6th (Capricorn I am guessing unless the you have houses with intercepted signs), will show you where your greatest service to others will be and from where your unique brand of mentoring talent will arise. Saturn also plays a part in this because it speaks about how you live your life—including the career(s) you have—will be remembered. Saturn is the ruler of the 10th house in the natural zodiac, so it carries that energy to the sign and house it falls in. All these things, along with the ruler(s) of your 10th house will give a more defined picture of what your career path has started out as. Where it may go will depend upon how you use the energies of transits and progressions and your own free will.

As a fellow Leo (with a Sag rising and Moon), whatever path you take will need to create a balanced sense of "I am." Not "I am great and I am everything," which most people accuse Leos of being nor "I am nothing" which is a very depressed Leo, indeed. Just "I am." This is who I am, nothing more or nothing less. If you like it, that's great and, if not, that's your issue—not mine.

As always, my 2¢ worth...keep what fits and ditch the rest.

AquariusMoon

My MC is Libra and it trines my H6 Sun and Mercury, opposes my H4 Part of Fortune, trines my H2 Chiron. Neptune in Libra is in my H10. I'm a big softie in my field, very compassionate with the people I work with. I've been very lucky with my bosses and clients. In fact, I met my former husband at work while he was at school, and he then became a client after he graduated from school. My H6 Sun is cj the DC. Also, my Venus is in H7. When I moved west my relocated MC changed to Virgo, and I must say there was a definite perfectionist vibe. Now I am back to my natal Libra MC and there are opportunities for mixing business with pleasure at artistic events, restaurants.

Does my MC reflect my occupation? It does reflect the field. Both my MC and Asc rule the field I am in, my Sun rules the specific job that I have.

Susie

Great thread - my MC is Scorpio, and the 10th holds Neptune.
MC receives squares both from Saturn and Jupiter in the 1st.

My answer is NO, but I suppose I'm doing what Saturn in Cap is best at: Admin!

If someone would pay me to be a River bum, I think I'd like to do that!
:)

Susie

Kite

I think this is a very interesting topic. I believe the MC speaks more to how you want to be known in the world than necessarily how you earn your keep. Some might argue I'm dipping into the 11th house but take sorehearted for example. I don't see a better position for an astrolger than an Aquarius MC. I think the 2nd house might be more telling in how one earns their living..my example would be a Mars/Moon conjuncition in Aries intercepted in 2 house with Pisces on the cusp..part of grand trine with Saturn in Sag at MC, Uranus in Leo in 6. I've been involved in marketing and advertising for some time. My Sag MC though has me heavily involved in trying to develop new spiritual paradigms..