Random Thoughts, strictly Text

conspiracy theorist

Josephine is a bit "we are the world" for your tastes, but the advantage with her is that she is no-******** and speaks based on what she has actually done, and since she's been doing magic for decades it's extensive.

If you want to get a counter-intuitive answer (according to your logic) you are likelier to gain in personal power when you don't actively seek it out. "Nice guy" stuff might be what gives you the most agency.

But seek for yourself. You already have the capacity to search, digest and take from whatever stream what you will, so have at it.

moonkat235

I started reading "Ladder of Lights" a book on Kabbalah, which might be a good topic to read on with your magical investigation.

You know tarot and astrology, and a good podcast on tarot/kabbalah is 'Fortune's Wheelhouse'. It compares the Rider-Waite with the Thoth Tarot (Crowley made the latter) and discusses Kabbalah with tarot.

AppLeo

I'm kind of uncertain on the parameters around the definition of 'magic'. Like how concrete is it and do practitioners who call themselves 'magicians' agree on what magic is? Idk but I doubt it. Plus, you gotta sift through ******** to see what works. lol

Like the spells and stuff listed on witchy pop blogs seem like pop astro blogs, where it's BS for the most part. lol Idek haha

Well every skill has its fair share of hacks and popular nonsense.

I find the Quareia course interesting, but have avoided engaging with it myself. I think it's nice that she wants to build magical muscle so to speak, but I'm not entirely set on it and I know it leans heavily on visionary magic and stuff but I just need to explore more traditions. I'm just shallowly engaged for the most part.

Visionary magic. Yeah it sounds like there's all kinds of magic stuff out there.

Carl Jung had his whole 'active imagination' thing goin on. That's akin to astral projection, inner vision (McCarthy's term), and I just started out by calling it magical journeying. lol Idk too much about him really, but magical traditions seem to go by many names.

Is astral projection the same as the Ni function in Jung's cognitive functions?

AppLeo

Josephine is a bit "we are the world" for your tastes, but the advantage with her is that she is no-******** and speaks based on what she has actually done, and since she's been doing magic for decades it's extensive.

Well everyone has their positives and negatives. I like how everyone just has something different to say. As long as the person has something intelligent or is wise then they are worth listening to. Contrapoints and Cuck Philosophy are both left-wing YouTubers, but I find their videos to be quite enlightening.

If you want to get a counter-intuitive answer (according to your logic) you are likelier to gain in personal power when you don't actively seek it out. "Nice guy" stuff might be what gives you the most agency.

But seek for yourself. You already have the capacity to search, digest and take from whatever stream what you will, so have at it.

Sometimes the answers come to you when you aren't hyper-focused on your goal. It's one of those strange things in life. Like it's in your destiny to figure it out no matter what happens.

conspiracy theorist

What caused you to change your stance in the space of a couple months, or were you just playing devil's advocate the whole time?

What has college taught you, apart from the academic side of things?

AppLeo

What caused you to change your stance in the space of a couple months, or were you just playing devil's advocate the whole time?

I'm bored and curious. As I said, when you hold a stagnant view, the world of ideas becomes very very boring. Where you keep rehashing the same perspective in your mind over and over again while trying to shut down your opponent without having any empathy for what lead them to their views. Besides, it's just interesting to think from another perspective.

What has college taught you, apart from the academic side of things?

Nothing in particular.

AppLeo

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_imagination

Ni as in personality stuff isn't exactly my first association with active imagination.

I've just read that people who are iNtuitives INTJ, INFP, INFJ, INTP are like magicians or prophets because they have this imaginative and overarching breadth of knowledge, so they can come to answers almost like magic even though they can't really explain or understand why they're right. But I don't know.

conspiracy theorist

Emma Roberts is hawwt.

And interesting website. Do you read this website often?

Yeah, that bitchy look on her face is kind of making me feel funny in my pants.

As much as I read anything else. It hits your criteria for giving a listen in that the perspective is unique, heavily informed and coming from a man who has made a career out of his extensive ability to research and solve "hard science" problems. Give it a shot.

AppLeo

Yeah, that bitchy look on her face is kind of making me feel funny in my pants.

As much as I read anything else. It hits your criteria for giving a listen in that the perspective is unique, heavily informed and coming from a man who has made a career out of his extensive ability to research and solve "hard science" problems. Give it a shot.

Will do. That reminds me of another blogger... I think you might have seen this before, but if you haven't this is also a good read https://www.lesswrong.com/users/eliezer_yudkowsky

moonkat235

I've just read that people who are iNtuitives INTJ, INFP, INFJ, INTP are like magicians or prophets because they have this imaginative and overarching breadth of knowledge, so they can come to answers almost like magic even though they can't really explain or understand why they're right. But I don't know.

Hmm okay I getcha. Active imagination is bridging the conscious with the unconscious through images and narrative, like exploring your subconscious consciously I think I'd say.

"Jung linked active imagination with the processes of alchemy in that both strive for oneness and inter-relatedness from a set of fragmented and dissociated parts." is a quote from Wikipedia on the subject.

It's a useful self-help tool too. You can reconcile personal/interpersonal issues through this technique.

AppLeo

It’s been a long while since I’ve looked at rationality / less wrong but the community around it seems less conscious of risk than, for example, the ethical skeptic.

I will completely admit to missing always-logged-in ethernet library access.

Having a free library is like a gold mine for the mind.

And I don't really care for the community, I just think the ideas presented in Less Wrong are helpful. Plus, in every community you're going to find people who don't live up to its ideals.