Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > General Astrology > Other Astrology > Research and Development

Research and Development This is a forum designed for applying scientific methods and understanding to all approaches of astrology, cooperative formulation and testing of new ideas, re-examination of known methods of delineation and interpretation, and the exploration of new astrological methods of all kinds (e.g. heliocentric models, planetary nodes and apogees, etc.).

Unread 08-17-2015, 01:06 AM

Request for Math Assistance. r.e. Two Traveling Objects...?

Howdy, you 'Greeks' among us 'Starfreaks"...
as I have to assume that is the only kind of person that would seriously consider this request...all others need not concern themselves but I welcome you also.

I have a math problem that I thought someone that works with astrophysics, or in that 'neighborhood' of studies, could solve incalculably faster than I might even hope to?

Here's the problem.
This is for two planetary, or satellite like, objects traveling along the same Zodiacal plane as observed from Earth.
One, the swifter of the two is at Libra 00* 00' 01", it travels at a rate of speed of 1.081081 degrees per year.
The other is at Sagittarius 11* 59' 59.93" and travels at a rate of speed of 0.6486486 degrees per year.

At those constant rates and always in forward motion following the Zodiacal path at what point will the swifter object be conjunct with that of the slower one, that is to say in what Sign and in which degree of that sign?

The first to submit the correct answer will be awarded the "NoBellPullaZipper Piece Prize" or my gushing gratitude. Their choice...plus all the bragging rights they wish to claim.

Thanks for your interest and your time.
ptv

Unread 08-17-2015, 02:27 AM

Re: Request for Math Assistance. r.e. Two Traveling Objects...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercethevale View Post
Howdy, you 'Greeks' among us 'Starfreaks"...
as I have to assume that is the only kind of person that would seriously consider this request...all others need not concern themselves but I welcome you also.

I have a math problem that I thought someone that works with astrophysics, or in that 'neighborhood' of studies, could solve incalculably faster than I might even hope to?

Here's the problem.
This is for two planetary, or satellite like, objects traveling along the same Zodiacal plane as observed from Earth.
One, the swifter of the two is at Libra 00* 00' 01", it travels at a rate of speed of 1.081081 degrees per year.
The other is at Sagittarius 11* 59' 59.93" and travels at a rate of speed of 0.6486486 degrees per year.

At those constant rates and always in forward motion following the Zodiacal path at what point will the swifter object be conjunct with that of the slower one, that is to say in what Sign and in which degree of that sign?

The first to submit the correct answer will be awarded the "NoBellPullaZipper Piece Prize" or my gushing gratitude. Their choice...plus all the bragging rights they wish to claim.

Thanks for your interest and your time.
ptv
Well, first let's convert them into a 360 degree format.

To find the absolute position of the object in Libra, add 180 degrees.

L = 180* 00' 01"

To find the absolute position of the object in Sagittarius, add 240 degrees.

S = 251* 59' 59.93"

Now, let me try subtracting L from S.

The distance between L and S:

D = 71* 59' 58.93"

Now, we need to figure out the change in D over 1 year.

D' = 71* 34' 2.173"

So, D is decreasing at a certain rate, R.

R = 0* 25' 56.757"

Now, if I divide D by R, I end up with...

T = 166.5192892 years.

In order to check the calculation and find the degree, let's plug that in.

L + T(1.081081) = 360.0211175

S + T(0.6486486) = 360.0124844

The calculations are very close, but my calculator isn't perfect. Just a little bit over 360 degrees, which should put this around the first degree of Aries.

So, in 166.5192892 years, they should be at approximately these points...

L will be at Aries 0* 01' 16.023"

S will be at Aries 0* 00' 44.944"

Again, very close, and definitely near the cusp of Aries and Pisces.

Bear in mind, my Trigonometry is a little rusty, and I'm not 100% certain of this answer. I'm taking Calculus, but I'm not exactly a Math genius. I only passed because my teacher decided to give the whole class an automatic 70 on the final exam if they forfeited their right to have the paper properly graded.
The Following User Says Thank You to athenian200 For This Useful Post:
piercethevale (08-17-2015)
Unread 08-17-2015, 03:27 AM

My intuition was that this would end at 0 degrees of Aries so I subtracted the faster object's position from 360, yielding 17959'59".

Dividing that by its yearly travel gave 166.29.59.1 years of time to travel that distance.

Multiplying that by the slower objects rate of travel per year gave a distance of 10759'59.4" traveled which added to it's original position gave 35959'59.33" which I think would have been given as 360 on a different calculator.

So - 0 Aries.
Unread 08-17-2015, 07:22 AM

Thank you both. I was able to arrive at that conclusion about two hours ago and I would've posted something as to that but I had to run to the pharmacy as my room mate broke a toe and needed a splint...the pinky toe, no less.
Yet, now that I'm noting the time of your posts, (exactly one hour apart, you both had me beat. I was a half hour behind unique_a. ...although it is now 3 1/2 hours ago, as it took me that long to write and format this reply.)

I did check about an hour after I posted to see if anyone had replied and not seeing any I decided to try to figure it out myself. Although I could've saved my self the trouble had I waited another half hour, once I started on the computations I wasn't about to let up until I had an answer.

You two have impressive math skills.

This has to do with a theory of mine concerning astronomical/astrological cycles of 333 and 555 years each.
I have written on two cycles of 666 and 888 years, there's a chapter devoted to it in the book I wrote and I've posted in a few forums about it.
I don't think there is any need fr me to point out what those numbers represent in Gnostic and to some Christian sects, if not all of them but as there are an est 33,000 to 40,000 different sects in existence presently...who knows?
As from that same source, Gnostic, it is given that the number of Yeshu'a/Jesus the man is 33 and his mother, Miriam/Mary is 55. I made note of how 33 could possibly be interpreted as the six pointed matrix, a hexagon which when draw invertedly (if that is the correct term I should be using?) is a Star of Solomon aka Magen David. And I've pointed out that 55 could be interpreted as a 10 point matrix, a decagon, a Grand Semi-Quintile. That is also to say two pentagrams symmetrically interlaced with one pointing down and the other up.

Yet it bothered me that 33 is so much as like 333, which is one half of the cycle of 666 years and has been proven to my satisfaction to be a portion of the cycle of time that troubles mankind. 666 years, 499.5 years, 333 years and 166.5 years. The cycle of actions of Divine accord occurring at intervals of 888, 666, 444 and 222 years and it is my theory that all the active participants in the ephemeral panopoly, outside of our own orbit (meaning excluding Venus and Mercury) have as their Point of Origin The beginning of Libra 01*(by Kabbalistic or Rabbinical lore it is said that the first day of creation corresponds to that which we consider now to be the beginning of Autumn.*)

As I pointed out in my book that two hypothetical astro-bodies in orbits of 666 years and 888 years in constant forward motion will always conjunct in one point of the tropical zodiac and no other. That point I believe to be the 1st degree of Libra. All the planets in relationships to any other Planet etches out matrices. Those of Jupiter and Saturn are know as the Great Trigon and always etch out a Grand Trine in appearance, but one that is slightly offset, and eventually hits every degree of the Zodiac, completing all 120 of the possible Grand Trines there are. The combination of two theoretical astro-bodies in orbit that consist of 666 years and 888 years to complete this is the matrix of the 'Great Conjunction', for want of a better term for it, it only occurs in one particular degree of the Tropical Zodiac, though, the first degree of Libra every 2664 years.
A combination of two theoretical astro-bodies moving at rates of 333 and 555 years will conjunct in two places but with a slight offset that will eventually cover all 180 possible combinations of the 'Great Opposition', again for want of a better term for it.

There are a number of some very heavy' esoteric inferences and implications going on here that I won't get into tonight, as this all came to me in a vision this afternoon and I'm still working out the details. For one, the most obvious is given by the Sabian Symbols for the 1st degrees of Libra and Aries, as I pointed out in my book, Libra 01* is the symbol of the perfect archetype of a human being and Aries 01* represents the next stage of spiritual evolution and the resultant form aka 'The Transfiguration'. I also see it as the marriage of the perfect archetypal forms of man and woman... (hint: think 33 + 55 = 88 {888} where as 33 + 33 = 66 {666}...and yes my mind does think like that and I make no excuse for it, or apology, thank you.)

* That is to say, by being in agreement as to the concept of the Thema Mundi and current scientific belief that all the Planets were created in one act by the Sun, spewing a great glob of matter outward that broke up in the process and left smaller globs in the position of the present day planets in the positions of were they presently orbit. From a Heliocentric view that spew was precisely towards the first degree of Libra.

Last edited by piercethevale; 08-17-2015 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Correction about Rabbinical lore and the first day of Creation, and change an error to 'Great Opposition'
Unread 08-17-2015, 08:54 AM

The Kabbalists say that all of the Creation, its construct and all of its laws and precepts can be understood through the understanding of numbers...

Everything of the construct, the laws and the precepts... Everything, Above us, Below us and with us... Everything.

...just something I read once.
Unread 08-17-2015, 12:18 PM

It only took me a couple of minutes after reading the problem to get my answer (not hours of working after the original post) as it is the same process I used years ago when I did charts by hand to get the time of New and Full Moons - 2 bodies moving at different speeds arriving at a conjunction or opposition.

Tags
assistance, math, objects, request, traveling