Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > General Astrology > Natal Astrology > Houses & cusps

Houses & cusps For discussions on houses and house cusps (i.e. planets on angles, house stelliums and so on)

Unread 07-07-2018, 05:22 AM

Re: When to use Equal House System

Right--as a student I spent two field seasons in the Canadian Arctic, just below the Arctic Circle. The sun did set, but it never got really dark-- more like twilight. I liked it, but then I wasn't there during winter.

The interesting thing, is when we look at the UN's happiness index, the Scandinavian countries generally rate at the top. Canada is #7, whereas the US is only #18. The measures obviously don't relate to latitude, and I think there are some anomalies (like Israel at #11. I don't think Israelis are so happy, but they discourage whining and complaining.) The reasons include a strong social safety net, low government corruption, and per capita income. But a high latitude apparently doesn't prevent happiness.
https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/...-in-the-world/

I have a special interest in the origins of horoscopic astrology. I note that Ptolemy (Tetrabiblos, ca. 150 CE) scarcely used houses, but instead used planetary positions to determine all kinds of things about human lives that today, would be matters for houses. I'm not suggesting we all revert to Hellenistic astrology, just that methods are out there to say a lot about people without houses.

If we think about the true Arctic when the sun doesn't rise during the winter solstice period, degrees still rise, so we nonetheless can locate the ascendant. (I think-- I'm not clear on how this would work with signs of long and short ascension.) We could do whole signs. We just couldn't assume that houses 12-7 represented daylight hours.

Fundamentally what we are left with, is planetary relationships. Sun square Uranus still happens and still has meaning.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. Jack Layton, "Letter to Canadians"

I thought we went along paths--but it seems there are no paths. The going itself is the path.
C.S. Lewis, Perelandra.

Life is not about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself. Message on a refrigerator magnet.
The Following User Says Thank You to waybread For This Useful Post:
Osamenor (07-07-2018)
Unread 07-07-2018, 08:19 AM

Smile Re: When to use Equal House System

I NEEDED the Whole-sign House method to even begin taking the Houses seriously. Placidus definitely wasn't describing my situation, so I concentrated on Signs, rulership, and Aspects. I didn't know about Whole-sign until I joined this Community (thanks, J.A.!). The Houses finally clicked into place for me, when it came to my own Chart.
But, now I see that Placidus works in so many Charts, I actually start with that, and change to Whole-sign when Placidus obviously isn't working. Looking back, I can see now that I started out on a life-path where Placidus was correct for me, but I changed paths to one best described by Whole-sign. It was AFTER I'd already made the change, that I began really studying Astrology, and was using my own Chart to test the validity of the many Astrological techniques. So, for any new Astrologers, don't limit your judgement about what "works" and what doesn't to your own Natal-chart!
Unread 07-09-2018, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waybread View Post
Conspiracy theorist, I also see validity in both my Placidus and whole signs natal charts. They give very different pictures; but then, like a photograph of a face, it will look different depending upon whether it's a profile or a full-face view.

Then again, Regiomontanus is the preferred traditional system in horary.

Regiomontanus' popularity in horary readings has more to do with people following William Lily than in it necessarily being the most effective house system to use for horary. With its proliferation back during Lily's time, it would also seem to be the case that Lily used what was available, than a careful survey of options that we are able to enjoy.

With that, I've gotten good results in horary by sticking to Placidus, and then you have those who use whole sign houses and are able to divine effectively.

I think for any explanation for why two separate house systems, and even two totally disparate systems of astrology are able to describe the same object/subject adequately, one would have to be open to explanations of a more esoteric nature. Phenomena such as engramming, egregores, synchronicity and the nature of consciousness would have to be accounted for in a way that is digestible/intelligible for an intelligent layperson for astrology to be accepted on a large scale in our current world. Engramming and egregores are within the realm of metaphysics/magic so that will be disregarded as bunk, Jung is looked at with heavy skepticism, and scientists are stumped on what Consciousness actually is. It's proven that consciousness has an effect at the quantum level, and a heavy component of divination (astrology) is the consciousness of the reader. If this sounds too speculative for you, I'd understand, but I don't think the explanations that we currently have at hand are adequate enough to really settle the issue of what makes all these different ways of interfacing with astrology work.

Last edited by conspiracy theorist; 07-09-2018 at 01:22 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to conspiracy theorist For This Useful Post:
waybread (07-09-2018)
Unread 07-09-2018, 04:10 AM

Some good thoughts, CT.

I really think that to explain how astrology "works," assuming it does, we have to think beyond the box of planets directly influencing human behaviour, along with signs and houses. Planets have some objective reality, but not their symbolisms. Signs and houses are mathematical constructs with no objective existence. Even the constellations for which signs were named were merely an ancient form of story-telling.

Something else is going on. To my thinking, we have to look at the astrologer interacting with the horoscope as a form of graphic communication.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. Jack Layton, "Letter to Canadians"

I thought we went along paths--but it seems there are no paths. The going itself is the path.
C.S. Lewis, Perelandra.

Life is not about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself. Message on a refrigerator magnet.
Unread 07-09-2018, 05:37 AM

Once we accept the Traditional notion that Houses represent Areas of Life, we can argue about their labels and meanings, and whether they connect with particular Signs (Modern) or are only affected by Angularity (Traditional). But, the perception that different House systems work for different Charts, PRESUPPOSES that Astrology itself "works", and I'm entirely comfortable with the life-path choices we make as the explanation for why the Houses can be configured differently and still be correct.
Unread 07-09-2018, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waybread View Post
Some good thoughts, CT.

I really think that to explain how astrology "works," assuming it does, we have to think beyond the box of planets directly influencing human behaviour, along with signs and houses. Planets have some objective reality, but not their symbolisms. Signs and houses are mathematical constructs with no objective existence. Even the constellations for which signs were named were merely an ancient form of story-telling.

Something else is going on. To my thinking, we have to look at the astrologer interacting with the horoscope as a form of graphic communication.
Our Hellenistic-astrologer, petosiris, came up with what I consider a brilliant reason for why Astrologers can make Astrology work for themselves.
Unread 07-09-2018, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david starling View Post

Our Hellenistic-astrologer, petosiris, came up with what I consider a brilliant reason
for why Astrologers can make Astrology work for themselves.
Despite what you consider "the brilliant reason"
you failed to mention
the actual "brilliant reason" itself
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82p-D...eature=related Hippocrates Let food be your medicine: let medicine be your food. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvz9uSK3zXo Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead Tom Stoppard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KchhSIVwMdY Every exit is an entrance to somewhere else. VETTIUS VALENS FREE http://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/...s%20entire.pdf
Unread 07-09-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUPITERASC View Post
Despite what you consider "the brilliant reason"
you failed to mention
the actual "brilliant reason" itself
It's in his "7 Reasons" Thread. Pretty sure waybread got something out of it.

Tags
equal, house, system