Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > Anything Else... > Chat > Spiritual Realm

Spiritual Realm This is the place for deep conversations on the divine, spiritual, esoteric, metaphysical, and arcane in your life.

Unread 11-23-2005, 04:21 PM

Send a message via MSN to baker
C1: xoxoxox to you too bud.

Unread 11-24-2005, 03:05 PM

Send a message via MSN to Summery Joy
I'm so touched. Thank you, baker. Mwah
Unread 04-03-2006, 01:45 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to christcentered
While I haven't read all the posts here and have little to say now on this matter, all I can say is I have registered to post this reply specifically. This could be a wasted effort given no one seems to be active in this thread...but none the less, here I go. Check out this link, it is very interesting. This is an issue I have grappled with for a long time and am excited to look into further.

http://www.bethlehemstar.com/

Blessings and Joy in Him!
Unread 04-03-2006, 05:22 PM

Wow...this article is absolutely amazing in its seamless ability to combine Biblical passage with historically verified information with astronomical data. Thank you!

Arian Maverick
Unread 04-05-2006, 01:07 PM

Hey,

I was just browsing a post called chakra diagram valid? when I found something Radu wrote that I find relevant to this thread. Radu was talking about the nodal axis and how it's a is a special evolutionary path, related to the Divine. But the symbolism he used from Chritianity has helped with the Astrology Vs Christianity issue.

Here it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radu
If you are a Christian, you may correlate it somehow with Jesus' birth of Spirit and Matter, that is of Holy Spirit and of Virgin Mary. Analogically, this is similar with the Moon's Nodes, they represent the intersection of the Sun-Earth rotation plane (spirit) and the Moon-Earth rotation plane (matter).

The nodes represent therefore the reason the spirit incarnates this time, the reason of our current life.

Jesus' life was a symbol for all existence. As a Son of God and as God himself at the same time, this couldn't represent less.

In astrology, we see this symbolism reflected in many ways:
- the 12 apostles = the 12 zodiacal signs, 12 types of human experiences, all leading to the Divinity
- the 4 evangelists that transmitted Jesus' teachings (the 4 gospels represent the basis of the New Testament and of Christianity) - are associated with the 4 fixed signs of the zodiac
- two important events in Jesus life before all biblical events - the visit at the Temple at the age of twelve and the hard test of spiritual maturity - fastening in the desert and overcoming of temptations - are related to the first Jupiter return (occurring at age 12) and the first Saturn return (age 30).
Unread 04-16-2006, 11:12 PM

Quote:
While I haven't read all the posts here and have little to say now on this matter, all I can say is I have registered to post this reply specifically. This could be a wasted effort given no one seems to be active in this thread...but none the less, here I go. Check out this link, it is very interesting. This is an issue I have grappled with for a long time and am excited to look into further.

http://www.bethlehemstar.com/

Blessings and Joy in Him!
Here's another take on it The Bethlehem Star

Kite

Chart http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum...pictureid=6043
Unread 04-17-2006, 12:52 AM

And if you embrace the chart in the former post, please see it's successor that appeared November 2003 Harmonic Concordance Chart

Kite

Chart http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum...pictureid=6043
Unread 10-31-2007, 12:08 AM

Re: Astrology Vs Christianity

After all this time, I'm still confused. I'm quite anxious about this issue because if I never come to answer, I will give up on astrology for the sake of Church. To be honest, my religion is more important to me than astrology, but I still don't wanna give up on the latter.

I don't know what to do. Should I consult horary? (just a joke here!)
Unread 10-31-2007, 04:32 AM

I've long been confused where people get the idea that Christianity is at all in conflict with Astrology, or vice versa. I suppose it comes from the social/religious stigma that astrologers are bad and we all ride a broomstick, but I know better than to put much weight on social stigmas.

There is absolutely nothing conclusive in the bible, when translated and understood properly, that prohibits us from using the "lights in the sky" (as they are called in the bible if we use a literal translation) for signs. In fact, the 14th verse, Genesis 1:14, explicitly states that is their purpose. I'm honestly not sure if one needs to wonder much after reading the first page of the Bible.

As far as the various references to spiritualists, mediums, diviners... These have absolutely nothing to do with astrology. As we see in the book of Daniel, 5:7, astrologers are a distinctly separate entity from diviners. The "lights in the sky" are not mediums, they physical objects the Lord placed there for a reason (as specified in Genesis 1:14) and thus have nothing to do with spiritualists. As far as the reference to "soothsayers", I would have to investigate the original (untranslated) text, but I suspect this is a sad mistranslation, as the word "soothsayers", as defined by the English dictionary, is "a person who professes to foretell events". If we accept this translation, then we might as well burn the whole bible, because it is full of writings of prophets who foretold many events.

Combine Genesis 1:14 with the fact that the Father chose astrologers (the "3 wise men") to anoint his only Son, going as far as to warn them in a dream to avoid Herod so they would not perish, and the picture seems pretty clear to me that astrological studies should be a part of the curriculum of anyone who chooses to seek out our creator. There are many other areas of the bible that are strongly related to astrological concepts, however I feel those two combined with a complete lack of direct condemnation of the practice pretty much lay the issue to rest.

I could go into many reasons the church chooses not to promote astrology, although I will avoid a scathing diatribe on how the church is better at keeping us in the dark rather than promoting us to explore the light, so I will leave it to the bible itself:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremiah 10:2
This is what the LORD says:
"Do not learn the ways of the nations
or be terrified by signs in the sky,
though the nations are terrified by them.
A very interesting read, also:
http://books.google.com/books?q=myst...+yogi&as_brr=1
Unread 11-01-2007, 12:12 AM

unukalhai,

Thank you for your reply. While it would make my life much easier to agree with you, I don't. I'll tell you why in another post though. It's past midnight here and my brain is all struck by Mercury Rx

River,

It's kind of relieving to know that it's not just me. I don't think we need to study the original scripts ourselves though. I, for one, trust the translation of the Bible that I have. In my opinion, the decision we need to make should be an agreement with God, like everything else in our lives. I just dread that potential crossroad where I might be forced to make a choice between Church and astrology. The way I'm avoiding it right now is hiding my actual interest in astrology and how much and I use it and reoly on it. That makes me ashamed. I actually hide what I'm working on when someone walks in on me doing horary, although they would probably think it's just another natal chart. Even then they would shake their heads in a mix of disappointment and surprise.

I don't want to hide what I do. I want to be able to be open about everything in my life, including astrology. If I couldn't do that, I'd wuit everything that I couldn't show to the world. Astrology would be then be no exception. I hope I find a resolution. I hope you do too.

Nora
Unread 04-01-2013, 07:07 AM

mountains of library books
oceans of fairy crooks
un perrero loco
a rodonde culito looks
Unread 04-01-2013, 10:46 AM

Mazzaroth in book of hebrews is often interpreted as zodiac constellations..
Unread 04-15-2013, 08:32 AM

Smile Re: Astrology Vs Christianity

One of the last edicts from Pope John Paul II was that Catholics should not do astrology/meditate. I found that to be totally nuts, particularly after having done the natal chart for the creation of the Vatican. The boys seemed to have picked the time that the Vatican could best be born. That seemed to be a double standard of do as I say not as I do.
Besides, was not the Christ child found by the Maji thanks to astrology.

Blessings and Light
Unread 04-15-2013, 11:36 AM

Christians are not 'allowed' to do a lot of things. Especially Catholics. It's not that they don't believe that it is real, quite the contrary, they just think it's the devil's work.

As an ex born again Christian I can tell you that the energies of Astrology clash quite badly with those of the Christian faith. I suffered from severe depression my entire time as a believer in Christ, with several suicide attempts and panic attacks whenever I practised the 'dark arts' of Astrology. Of course the Christians will tell you this is the devil trying to claim your soul, but the day I turned my back on the Christian faithI felt a weight was lifted from my shoulders, literally. My depression disappeared completely and has never returned in such a way since. What I am saying is the best thing I ever did was denounce myself as a Christian, and I have been spiritually happy and well ever since, as I continue to practise Astrology.

Unread 04-15-2013, 07:46 PM

I will just say what others have said in defense of Astrology that there is not only nothing in the Bible against it but many passages sound very astrological. The catholic church invented Satan and then just says that Astrology is Satanic. Fundamentalists just push the catholic position when they are shown that there is nothing in the Bible as they claim. This is circular reasoning and is just propaganda and a means to control you. As an astrologer you should study critical thinking and learn to think for yourself. Like astrology this is not taught in school at least not in the USA so you must study it for yourself.

And the wild regrets and the bloody sweats, None knew so well as I. For he who lives more lives than one, More deaths than one must die. -- Oscar Wilde
Unread 04-15-2013, 10:35 PM

The catechism of the Catholic church today expressly forbids astrology, but this was often not the case during its 2000-year history. At the start of the Reformation, Martin Luther and John Calvin also prohibited it. Pronouncements against astrology by today's evangelicals seem to be ignorant of what astrology really is and does.

If we look at the Bible, there are hardly any passages that forbid astrology as such. The verses that can be interpreted this way are from the Old Testament. Back during Old Testament times, Babylonians believed that the heavens gave clues (omens) as to their gods' intentions.

The Sumerians thought that the stars were gods, and the Bible suggests a common practice of star-worship. This probably didn't mean worship of stars per se, but of gods manifesting themselves as stars. There is no astrology whatsoever in passages like 2 Kings 3-12 and Acts 7:42-43, which criticize star-worship.

Apparently modern evangelical critics of astrology wrongly believe we worship stars, as well.

So practicing Babylonian astrology had a clear connection to gods other than the God of the Bible. There was also a connection to Egyptian gods as astrology diffused into Egypt; and a connection with Graeco-Roman gods subsequently. This is hardly the case today. Nobody that I know of understands astrology as involved with worship of pagan gods of 2000 plus years ago.

The verses in the books of Isaiah and Daniel essentially argue that: (1) a God who created the heavens can confound astrological predictions. The danger of believing in astrology is in trusting astrological forecasting over faith in God. (2) Babylonian forecasters were obviously going astray, since they worship foreign gods.

The proscription generally seems to be against worship of other gods, and putting faith in all of the various methods of soothsaying, fortune-telling, or prognostication that were popular in biblical times.

There is no biblical prohibition against reading birth charts as a type of character analysis. Indeed, our form of horoscopic astrology wasn't even invented till a couple of centuries before the birth of Jesus. Jesus does not forbid astrology in the Gospels.

Recommended scholarly histories of astrology are the two-volume set by Nicholas Campion (The Dawn of Astrology) and Tamsyn Barton, Ancient Astrology.

The upshot is that a Christian might steer clear of predictive astrology, but feel no qualms about natal chart interpretation.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. Jack Layton, "Letter to Canadians"

I thought we went along paths--but it seems there are no paths. The going itself is the path.
C.S. Lewis, Perelandra.

Life is not about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself. Message on a refrigerator magnet.

Last edited by waybread; 04-15-2013 at 10:50 PM.
Unread 04-15-2013, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culpeper View Post
I will just say what others have said in defense of Astrology that there is not only nothing in the Bible against it but many passages sound very astrological. The catholic church invented Satan and then just says that Astrology is Satanic. Fundamentalists just push the catholic position when they are shown that there is nothing in the Bible as they claim. This is circular reasoning and is just propaganda and a means to control you. As an astrologer you should study critical thinking and learn to think for yourself. Like astrology this is not taught in school at least not in the USA so you must study it for yourself.
There is a Satan or arch-devil in the Bible, notably in the Book of Job, which pre-dates the Catholic church.

I think it is possible to read the biblical Satan metaphorically, without having to believe in a literal, actual, objectively real Satan.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. Jack Layton, "Letter to Canadians"

I thought we went along paths--but it seems there are no paths. The going itself is the path.
C.S. Lewis, Perelandra.

Life is not about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself. Message on a refrigerator magnet.
Unread 04-15-2013, 11:01 PM
Banned

Hi,

I have not read the postings as they are a tad on the long side.

BUT

No, astrology has nothing to do with christianity as I found to my cost after I converted to catholicism and like a ****, believed the words of this dodgey priest....wee bonfire on the beach and burnt all the books! If I had known then what I know about him now.....

If you look at some of the tarot cards for example, pentacles are clearly used as symbolism, and are today still widely seen in churches. Ace of cups, you could say is the cup of communion...

I could go on but I really can't be bothered but needless to say, from what I can see sweetie, all these different 'faiths' are busting a gut to keep their sorry backsides in jobs paid for by us....I really do not believe God would object to a christian following astrology. Even in those day, they employed court astrologers.....

Be interested to know what your ascendant and sun sign are and what is in your ninth house.