Mercury in Virgo vs Mercury in Scorpio: who is more "intelligent"?

rollindays

And why?

I am asking for an overall level of intelligence. We can break that down separately into the nine types of intelligence.

Capricorn2616

I'm not sure if one is more intelligent than the other, I would say different kinds of intelligence? Mercury in Virgo seems like it would be very orderly, analytical, meticulous, and practical. Mercury in Scorpio seems like it would be more covert, investigative, and intuitive.

rollindays

Mercury in Scorpio is lots of fun. But then again my Mercury is in a water sign and I like the conversations.

I have Mercury in Scorpio in the 12th house. My best friend has a Mercury in Virgo, and tbh, while he really really bugs me in arguments/discussions (the way he tries to analytically disseminate things with his questions), he is surely more analytically/logically intelligent than me. Although I am pretty good analytically/logically too, I have pretty strong arguments for my claims.

But he dismisses things that cannot be mathematically/logically/scientifically/quantitatively proven (like astrology); and I think something is amiss in his analysis. I see maths/science/quantitative analysis limited in its scope, and one should not have those things as "the emphasis", but only the truth.

I feel my friend that my friend can logically analyze the hell out of things, but he won't come anywhere near the truth in a situation because of his poor emotional intelligence. I know I don't know the answer to everything, and have a lot to learn, but my emphasis is always to get to the truth of anything, not to be right in an argument.

Last edited:

Stellium6th

I have Mercury in Scorpio in the 12th house. My best friend has a Mercury in Virgo, and tbh, while he really really bugs me in arguments/discussions (the way he tries to analytically disseminate things with his questions), he is surely more analytically/logically intelligent than me. Although I am pretty good analytically/logically too, I have pretty strong arguments for my claims.

But he dismisses things that cannot be mathematically/logically/scientifically/quantitatively proven (like astrology); and I think something is amiss in his analysis. I see maths/science/quantitative analysis limited in its scope, and one should not have those things as the emphasis, but only the truth.

I feel my friend that my friend can logically analyze the hell out of things, but he won't come anywhere near the truth in a situation because of his poor emotional intelligence. I know I don't know the answer to everything, and have a lot to learn, but my emphasis is always to get to the truth of anything, not to be right in an argument.

Mercury in Scorpio is the Mercury I have come across the most. I like the emotional intelligence. Very intuitive, very skilled for the humanitarian part. And in general incredible insight, albeit a bit too dark. The part I don't like about that mercury is the distrust. That mercury really is morbid and has some very alienated insights. Sooo... Very fun to me. Drama. All of this can change a lot based on aspects and houses, though.

I could not get into deep with Mercuries in Virgo. They overwhelm me, and also call me subjective and of unreliable trending thought. Boring. Although they had a very ''earthy'' chart. I could not know with a different chart

rollindays

Mercury in Scorpio is the Mercury I have come across the most. I like the emotional intelligence. Very intuitive, very skilled for the humanitarian part. And in general incredible insight, albeit a bit too dark. The part I don't like about that mercury is the distrust. That mercury really is morbid and has some very alienated insights. Sooo... Very fun to me. Drama. All of this can change a lot based on aspects and houses, though.

I could not get into deep with Mercuries in Virgo. They overwhelm me, and also call me subjective and of unreliable trending thought. Boring. Although they had a very ''earthy'' chart. I could not know with a different chart

The Virgo Mercury goes into analytical depth (detail oriented), but that is it. It is not overall deep at all like the Scorpio Mercury is. The Scorpio is obsessed to getting to the truth, and will make sure he goes in deep and look into everything; even if he/she can't put it into a coherent statement.

Another major difference I see is how passionately the Mercury in Scorpio communicates. I do not see that passion coming from Virgo Mercury's. It almost seems like (to me) an unlikeable attribute to them.

And whenever I communicate with my Mercury in Virgo friend, it's almost as if I have to communicate in a way he can understand, because he can't understand any other way. And yes, I find it difficult to discuss with Virgo Mercuries at any real depth.

Last edited:

Bunraku

We should stop generalizing, because I’ve know many Virgos who are quite passionate, emotional, hot headed, etc. and many Scorpio Mercuries that are shy, quiet, and mute.

Post charts.

Edit: I mean to say in speech. See how missing that detail can entire change the meaning of my original intention?

Last edited:

rollindays

We should stop generalizing, because I’ve know many Virgos who are quite passionate, emotional, hot headed, etc. and many Scorpio Mercuries that are shy, quiet, and mute.

Post charts.

Shy/quiet is not mutually exclusive to being passionate.

Also, being passionate is not synonymous with being emotional, hot-headed.

But you are right, the houses are important here; as well the aspects the other planets make with the Mercury, along with other things.

I can't remember the date of my friend, but I created his chart a long time ago when he told me his d.o.b.

I'm curious if you could tell me anything about the Virgo Mercuries who you found were quite passionate about something.

katydid

As a Mercury in Scorpio, I can say without a doubt, ....lol

But seriously, it is not something you can say about just one's Mercury. The chart has to support the intelligence.

I have seen research where Mercury in Pisces came out on top, of the IQ tests statistically. I tried to find that article to link here but couldn't. Does anyone else remember it? I think there ids a thread here somewhere on it too.

theV

Mercury is better in Virgo than in Scorpio. It is like saying Mars is better in Virgo than in Scorpio. Scorpio sign is irrational and emotional. Mercury is all about being rational, cool, analytic. The downside of Scorpio Mercury is that they can be blinded by their emotions.

katydid

Mercury is better in Virgo than in Scorpio. It is like saying Mars is better in Virgo than in Scorpio. Scorpio sign is irrational and emotional. Mercury is all about being rational, cool, analytic. The downside of Scorpio Mercury is that they can be blinded by their emotions.

Oh yea? Who do you think you are to say that????? JUST KIDDING. You are correct...:smile:

Stellium6th

Mercury in air signs, on the other hand, suffer from being clumsy with their emotions.

To continue with the cliches

rollindays

Virgo in Mercury cannot look at the bigger picture, they might be emotionally intelligent in comparison to the ones in the Fire and Air signs; but it falls way short in comparison to a Scorpio. Although a Scorpio can be emotional; they also have a wonderful ability to completely cut off any emotional undercurrents, and give an analysis devoid of emotion. The difference is that Scorpio seeks for truth and the bigger picture, whereas the Virgo is stuck in the finite analysis.

The Scorpio finds truth by looking at everything; facts, opinions, actions, words, body language; their intuition is on point as well. The Virgo in comparison looks at limited things, and is rarely able to see the underlying motivations of people the way Scorpio does.

Last edited:

katydid

Mercury in Virgo can be blinded by the details. :lol:

My cousin is a Libra [ Sun conjunct Jupiter] with Venus/Mercury in Virgo. She is very intelligent and became an office manager at a young age and moved quickly up the corporate ladder. One of the main reasons was her ability to manage fine details and get numbers up. She could always find money leaks and wasteful behaviors and fix them and increase profit margins.

But as she became higher up, office politics became difficult for her. She had trouble seeing the 'big picture' and made enemies at times by nitpicking in a critical way. The people she was now criticizing and nitpicking were CEO's and financial controllers, not just other office managers/supervisors. But she could not look away from little details that bothered her and continued to be at odds with her superiors when they denied or rejected her ideas/suggestions.

She retired early.

Tessie

Banned

But he dismisses things that cannot be mathematically/logically/scientifically/quantitatively proven (like astrology); and I think something is amiss in his analysis. I see maths/science/quantitative analysis limited in its scope, and one should not have those things as the emphasis, but only the truth.

I have Mercury in Scorpio and one of my best friends has Mercury in Virgo. What you describe is my EXACT experience.

Stellium6th

Virgo in Mercury cannot look at the bigger picture, they might be emotionally intelligent in comparison to the ones in the Fire and Air signs; but it falls way short in comparison to a Scorpio. Although a Scorpio can be emotional; they also have a wonderful ability to completely cut off any emotional undercurrents, and give an analysis devoid of emotion. The difference is that Scorpio seeks for truth and the bigger picture, whereas the Virgo is stuck in the finite analysis.

The Scorpio finds truth by looking at everything; facts, opinions, actions, words, body language; their intuition is on point as well. The Virgo in comparison looks at limited things, and is rarely able to see the underlying motivations of people the way Scorpio does.

I suggest you to investigate about midpoints; it's the most insightful and what I like the most about charts. A single Mercury can't at all show intelligence. There are intelligent people for every been Mercury and to be.

Gotta agree that I haven't found any Scorpio Mercury with no intuition at all. They really shine on that.

Stellium6th

Mercury in Virgo can be blinded by the details. :lol:

My cousin is a Libra [ Sun conjunct Jupiter] with Venus/Mercury in Virgo. She is very intelligent and became an office manager at a young age and moved quickly up the corporate ladder. One of the main reasons was her ability to manage fine details and get numbers up. She could always find money leaks and wasteful behaviors and fix them and increase profit margins.

But as she became higher up, office politics became difficult for her. She had trouble seeing the 'big picture' and made enemies at times by nitpicking in a critical way. The people she was now criticizing and nitpicking were CEO's and financial controllers, not just other office managers/supervisors. But she could not look away from little details that bothered her and continued to be at odds with her superiors when they denied or rejected her ideas/suggestions.

She retired early.

Mercury with Jupiter is the total contrary, though. I like Mercury with hard aspects to Saturn. It's the aspect genius had the most, probably.

rollindays

Mercury in Virgo can be blinded by the quantitative details. :lol:

She retired early.

/QUOTE]

Everything you said in your post was her ability to look at many quantitative/mathematical details; but not much else.