To Anyone Who Hasn't Lived in United States

MaeMae

Banned
Today is a non-federal holiday in US, which means government and schools still are required to work, but the day is also some sort of recognized holiday.
It's called groundhog day.
A movie was even made about it. It is a good movie.
It is called groundhog day.
In a town in Pennsylvania, Northeastern US, a town traps a rodent called a beaver and pulls it out of a box. Early morning. If the beaver sees his shadow first thing, he runs away in fear ~ sort of ecliptic thing ~
if he doesn't see his shadow, he sniffs around.
I forget which means what, but basically it's about whether Spring arrives early. It is a pagan type ritual celebrated by many people, christians included.
It means nothing. I think phil's predictions are 50/50% or so.
It is a ridiculous tradition and holiday, but always brings great enthusiasm from people who can't read an almanac.
What are unusual/pointless traditions and holidays in your country? i know that somewhere in great britain, a bunch of drunkards and idiots roll down a steep, craggy hill with logs or something. they show it on american t.v. news sometimes. also the running of bulls in pamplona spain.
one time per year cultural/national events that make no sense but that people love anyway.
???
I mean to say groundhog, not beaver.

Last edited:

MTTY05

I'm American, but I think I saw that thing you were talking about in the UK on tv. I thought someone rolled a big wheel of cheese down a steep, grassy, and rocky hill. Then some poor souls would roll down the hill to retrieve the cheese, breaking many bones in the process. I guess the person who gets the cheese gets to eat it all?

MTTY05

Also, I was watching The Colbert Report while replying to this thread and Colbert quickly poked fun at Groundhog Day and Candlemas. Funny stuff.

Caro

the rolling cheese tradition - I know this very well! strange folk down that part of the country!!:whistling:

Im sure it is somewhere in spain where they pelt each other with tomatoes(could be italy). it is around the time of the tomato harvest.It looks fun but is mainly men involved.