Is the sixth house really about disease?

MissScorpio

I was reading about the sixth house today and came across this, which is rather depressing:

Ancient astrologers considered the 6th a malefic house—not a happy place for a planet to be. John Frawley, a contemporary practitioner of traditional principles, writes about the 6th: “This is the house of the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune: of all the things that the harsh, cruel world and that odd bunch of people who inhabit it conspire to inflict upon us.”1 Planets in this house are weakened and can harm the other houses that they rule. This is not the house of health, Frawley contends, but the house of illness. The 1st house indicates one’s health or vitality; the 6th describes what undermines it. Nor is it the house of work or service, says Frawley. This is a modern invention, loosely based on the 6th ruling servants and tradespeople—those who work for us. Our own work is still described by the 10th. Contemporary interpretations of the 6th, says Frawley, are simply wrong. They derive from the happy-talk tendency of modern astrologers to whitewash any bad celestial news.

However, I read further that the disease can be mental affliction , depending on planets?
I have Sun, Mercury, Uranus in this house.

mossadrai

Hello, MissScorpio!

It is not only traditional astrologers, even modern ones recognize that the 6th house is about diseases, as the 8th is connected to death and the 12th to hospital, pyschiatric institutes, etc.

The main difference between modern and traditional astrologers, as I see, is the working/servant themes, indeed. Modern astrologers say the 6th house is about your routine, your daily work, your schedule. According to traditional astrology, this is not so. The 6th house is about your servants, employees and subordinates (and not you being a servant, employee or subordinate). This is a very common confusion in modern astrology, to misinterpret the house meaning with the native meaning. So, for example, the 11th house is about the native's friends, and not how friendly is the native, or how the native deals with his friends.

The same goes to the 6th. It is about people who serve the native, and not how this native serves people, nor if he is a servant for someone.

Love2Know

Hello, MissScorpio!

It is not only traditional astrologers, even modern ones recognize that the 6th house is about diseases, as the 8th is connected to death and the 12th to hospital, pyschiatric institutes, etc.

The main difference between modern and traditional astrologers, as I see, is the working/servant themes, indeed. Modern astrologers say the 6th house is about your routine, your daily work, your schedule. According to traditional astrology, this is not so. The 6th house is about your servants, employees and subordinates (and not you being a servant, employee or subordinate). This is a very common confusion in modern astrology, to misinterpret the house meaning with the native meaning. So, for example, the 11th house is about the native's friends, and not how friendly is the native, or how the native deals with his friends.

The same goes to the 6th. It is about people who serve the native, and not how this native serves people, nor if he is a servant for someone.
This is interesting, so my lack of servants is due to my empty 6th dammits. Also I have read some pretty negative thing from 'modern astrologers' they do not even white wash well enough for my sensitive self :| Also if someone comes a lot of negative juke who would really believe it. It is about how you say things, you cant just spew hate and call it truth, even in astrology. The way each astrologer describes something is largely a reflection of their self and own opinion.

Last edited:

mossadrai

Quite so, Love2Know. In this case, with an empty house, you should see the ruler of the cusp, and this would tell about your servants (again, not about you), and if they are loyal, trustworthy, friendly, etc.

In the case mentioned by MissScorpio, for example, she would have three kinds of servants relating to her: Sun, Mercury and Uranus (if you want to consider this) type... So, famous, brilliant and important servants (Sun), witty and clever ones, maybe a little treacherous (Mercury) and the unusual and "out of trend" ones (Uranus).

Love2Know

Quite so, Love2Know. In this case, with an empty house, you should see the ruler of the cusp, and this would tell about your servants (again, not about you), and if they are loyal, trustworthy, friendly, etc.

In the case mentioned by MissScorpio, for example, she would have three kinds of servants relating to her: Sun, Mercury and Uranus (if you want to consider this) type... So, famous, brilliant and important servants (Sun), witty and clever ones, maybe a little treacherous (Mercury) and the unusual and "out of trend" ones (Uranus).

Ok Maybe I am confused what do you mean by servants? I DO not think many middle class Canadians have servants.. my 6th is cap ... I looked it up and yeah it is kinda harsh, it was saying like you will have success then break down cuz you cant handle **** lol that is bs I break down but keep going constantly. I have continued working with almost cutting off a finger and burning my hand so bad the flesh was stuck to the oven.. The only time I missed work randomly was when on my way I passed out from the flu. So they dont even know. pfft.

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

I was reading about the sixth house today and came across this, which is rather depressing:

Ancient astrologers considered the 6th a malefic house—not a happy place for a planet to be. John Frawley, a contemporary practitioner of traditional principles, writes about the 6th: “This is the house of the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune: of all the things that the harsh, cruel world and that odd bunch of people who inhabit it conspire to inflict upon us.”1 Planets in this house are weakened and can harm the other houses that they rule. This is not the house of health, Frawley contends, but the house of illness. The 1st house indicates one’s health or vitality; the 6th describes what undermines it. Nor is it the house of work or service, says Frawley. This is a modern invention, loosely based on the 6th ruling servants and tradespeople—those who work for us. Our own work is still described by the 10th. Contemporary interpretations of the 6th, says Frawley, are simply wrong. They derive from the happy-talk tendency of modern astrologers to whitewash any bad celestial news.

However, I read further that the disease can be mental affliction , depending on planets?
I have Sun, Mercury, Uranus in this house.
Significations of 6th traditionally include

NOT ONLY

'Illness and disease, its condition and cause, whether the illness will be short or long, curable or not. All matters relating to the health industry and those who work in it: dentists, doctors, nurses....'

BUT ALSO

'Employees, tenants and servants. Lilly specifically mentions day-labourers, farmers and shepherds. Goldstein-Jacobson mentions those who live on the native's property, such as caretakers, au-pairs, lodgers, etc. Also domestic issues generally

Pets, small animals and lesser cattle (ie., hogs, sheep, goats, rabbits) and any profit or loss attached to the sale of such cattle. The 6th house also has a connection with farming and crops generally.

Sorrow. Generally this is regarded as a house of weakness and affliction. As a cadent house it represents alien or unhelpful conditions....'

This is interesting, so my lack of servants is due to my empty 6th dammits.
Many have an empty 6th
NEVERTHELESS
the 6th has a ruling Sign
and the ruling Sign of the 6th has a Sign Ruler
So
even with an empty 6th
the house and sign location of the ruler of 6th
is influential in relation to the 6th house

For discussion on 12TH/6TH HOUSE AXIS AND SLAVERY themes
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?p=384306#post384306
Aside from that, if you think about it, we all are enslaved by others one way or another.

Just as everyone works for money (6th and 2nd),
has beliefs (9th),
has a creative and inspirational side (5th),
has a family and neighbors (3rd and 4th),
relationships (7th),
aspirations (11th)
and a personality (1st).

As Benjamin Franklin put it - "Nothing in life is certain, but death and taxes." What does this quote regard in astrological house matters? The 8th house.

Only the 10th is what some achieve. Though everyone has a status (respection level) or honor they want to uphold.

The point I'm trying to get to is that everyone has a bit of every house in their own chart. It's just that those with planets in a certain house, taps the power of that house and shows prominence in greater spoonfuls for every single individual.

So what does this say? No one should look to a house as a single matter, but rather take a chart as a whole.
Taking the chart as a whole, one would consider the houses ruled by any planets in the 6th
AS WELL AS
the house and sign location of sign ruler of 6t

Ok Maybe I am confused what do you mean by servants?

I DO not think many middle class Canadians have servants.. my 6th is cap ... I looked it up and yeah it is kinda harsh, it was saying like you will have success then break down cuz you cant handle **** lol that is bs I break down but keep going constantly. I have continued working with almost cutting off a finger and burning my hand so bad the flesh was stuck to the oven.. The only time I missed work randomly was when on my way I passed out from the flu. So they dont even know. pfft
Deborah Houlding states:

'6th house has some relevance to domestic appliances that are purchased to ease day to day chores and laborious tasks.'

Your 'slaves' then may be mechanical, in the form of a washing machine

or spin drier

and so on
:smile:

mossadrai

By servants I mean the modern term, of course... If you are a boss, oh, yes, you have many servants. If you have a housemaid, she is a servant. In some cases, children are your little servants. Maybe your husband. This is all indicated in the 6th house.

Love2Know

Significations of 6th traditionally include

NOT ONLY

'Illness and disease, its condition and cause, whether the illness will be short or long, curable or not. All matters relating to the health industry and those who work in it: dentists, doctors, nurses....'

BUT ALSO

'Employees, tenants and servants. Lilly specifically mentions day-labourers, farmers and shepherds. Goldstein-Jacobson mentions those who live on the native's property, such as caretakers, au-pairs, lodgers, etc. Also domestic issues generally

Pets, small animals and lesser cattle (ie., hogs, sheep, goats, rabbits) and any profit or loss attached to the sale of such cattle. The 6th house also has a connection with farming and crops generally.

Sorrow. Generally this is regarded as a house of weakness and affliction. As a cadent house it represents alien or unhelpful conditions....'

Many have an empty 6th
NEVERTHELESS
So
even with an empty 6th
is influential in relation to the 6th house

For discussion on 12TH/6TH HOUSE AXIS AND SLAVERY themes
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?p=384306#post384306

Taking the chart as a whole, one would consider the houses ruled by any planets in the 6th
AS WELL AS
the house and sign location of sign ruler of 6t

Deborah Houlding states:

'6th house has some relevance to domestic appliances that are purchased to ease day to day chores and laborious tasks.'

Your 'slaves' then may be mechanical, in the form of a washing machine

or spin drier

and so on

Interesting, or when my parents and husband and friends jokingly tell me I treat them like servants does that count?

mossadrai

Interesting, or when my parents and husband and friends jokingly tell me I treat them like servants does that count?
It surely counts... If you have ruler of the 4th and 10th in the 6th, for example (this is not your case, I know), this can mean that your parents are like servants to you... you can be a spoiled child/person.

Just the opposite is also true. If the ruler of 5th is in the 6th, maybe your child are your servants, and you are a little too rough and "miltar" with them.

And even if you have an empty house, Jupiterasc said it all:

"Many have an empty 6th
NEVERTHELESS
So
even with an empty 6th
is influential in relation to the 6th house"

JUPITERASC

That definitely 'counts'
and is reminiscent of the common parental wail: 'You treat this place as if it was a hotel'

Which clearly implies that their child assumes that cooking, cleaning, chores in general
are the province of the parents entirely

Consider whether your parents husband and friends may or may not be joking

poyi

Premium Member
Slavery continues in modern terms.

All profession in Service to customers or clients. All of us being employed by somebody else above us. We are all slave to Bank, credit card, modern economy, university debt, mortgage interestingly 8th is the 3rd of 6th house.

It is us that serving the pets (cleaning up their poos, fill their food/water bowls) even we would like to think ourselves as the masters of our pets, but not, they never clean your poos.

We are all slaves to our physical body (6th) we must work to fill our belly (the abdomen is signified by 6th house the home of Virgo). The traditional term of 6th house never had changed.

Love2Know

Exactly my thoughts, Jupiterasc, lol.

I think they mean I can get bossy but never as bossy as my mother. I need to check her 6th omg, she does so much physically but will emotionally destroy people who do not compliment and agree with her. I am used to being disagreed with and made fun of I hardly bat an eye to it. I have lots of practice. My husband I dunno I cook for him. My friends are generally to spacey to be good servants I guess it is aqua 7th gemini 11th issues mixed in.

Hmm poyi interesting I FIND I get in trouble for being a terrible servant so is that a reflection of me or other people's charts I come into contact with? WHEN I tried to be a housekeeper and all I DID WAS complain and hide and eat sandwiches. It hurt my back and knees too much to do that work, mainly making beds. It was depressing, once my crazy *** co-worker broke down crying and locked herself in a closet because she said my attitude was too nonchalant lol. she was so insane.. that actually happened.

Last edited:

mossadrai

All profession in Service to customers or clients. All of us being employed by somebody else above us. We are all slave to Bank, credit card, modern economy, university debt, mortgage interestingly 8th is the 3rd of 6th house.

It is us that serving the pets (cleaning up their poos, fill their food/water bowls) even we would like to think ourselves as the masters of our pets, but not, they never clean your poos.

We are all slaves to our physical body (6th) we must work to fill our belly (the abdomen is signified by 6th house the home of Virgo). The traditional term of 6th house never had changed.

This is one of the points of discussion, I guess, poyi. In my view of things, the 6th is not about where you are a servant (although I totally agree with you in all maters quoted above. We are pretty much servants); but rather how your servants are towards you.

Maybe I'm wrong in seeing things this way... I would like to know your oppinion.

Love2Know

This is one of the points of discussion, I guess, poyi. In my view of things, the 6th is not about where you are a servant (although I totally agree with you in all maters quoted above. We are pretty much servants); but rather how your servants are towards you.

Maybe I'm wrong in seeing things this way... I would like to know your oppinion.

Or like when you go to the hair dresser and get your nails and hair done and such?

MissScorpio

My life is ruled by little routines, looking after my little cat and taking care of household things to the point of obsession.. My daily rituals are very important to me , including a very firm grip on exercise and fitness (which is very Virgo) My Sun being in sixth house.

I rebelled against service as a child and still do. I never wanted to work 9-5 in an office and worked every inch of my blood, sweat, tears to become self employed and serve humanity (Sun conjunct Uranus in sixth) this is exactly what I do, but I do it how I want to do it without any rules or regulations as I can not deal with rules or regulations.. It would seem that I have been given much freedom in my routine, service and work as the Sun/Uranus in my chart is pretty potent , but being as it is in the sixth , I have to abide and dedicate myself to my own routine.

I have always been happy to serve but only in my own way. . That pretty much sums up my Sun conjunction Uranus in the sixth house in Scorpio!

poyi

Premium Member
One thing to remember, always read both sides of the axis, 6th and 12th, the energy swing between being enslaved, or enslave others, as well as we being forced into sufferings, or we induced our own suffering for better or worse such as sacrificing yourself for greater goods or the external situation/self undoing internal situation you have in yourself leading to situation of physical and spiritual/mental imprisonment. Virgo is the practical world, physical body; Pisces is the other reality, the out of physical side of the body.

They are the signs for these two houses for good reasons, should think about it and study their natures, elements, their rulership over practical side of life such as working in services, being served or to serve, being the patient in hospital or being the practitioner that serves the patients in hospital, in medical astrology, as well as what part of the body do they rules and think about the symbolism. Interesting thing is Pisces ruled the feet, the lowest part of the body, so you either lower yourself to be humble to sacrifice to surrender or to be the lowest in suffering, metaphysically speaking.

Last edited:

Love2Know

Precisely so! The man/woman that cuts your hair and polishes your nail is represented in the 6th house.

So how would someone with a 6th leo getting a haircut differ from someone with 6th cap reciving a haircut as well? Would this then reflect on the relationship and or interaction of the process? Or more so how the native treats the 'servant' in a manner which elicits a similar response to others they encounter and receive services from?