Unaspected Personal Planets

Inside Out Orange

I know that unaspected planets are rare, and it's worth checking very carefully for them. I believe I'm right in saying that unaspected planets are usually an area of life that the native finds difficult to integrate into their personality?

Basically I was wondering what happens when it is a personal planet? I have a Sun Sign Aries friend who has Mars in Taurus. Initially I thought this was unaspected but it does have a very wide-aspect trine to Pluto in Virgo (orb of 9.5 degrees - I believe 10 is allowable for personal planets). Wondered how being a personal planet it would affect matters?

Inside Out Orange

I appreciate that my example turned out to be aspected. I mentioned it to provide background to how I came up with the question and to provide an example e.g. Sun Sign Aries, Mars personal planet.

I was looking for an answer to the general question of what would be the effects of an unaspected personal planet? We could be talking about Sun Sign Cancer with unaspected Moon, Leo Sun etc.

katydid

Inside Out Orange said:
I appreciate that my example turned out to be aspected. I mentioned it to provide background to how I came up with the question and to provide an example e.g. Sun Sign Aries, Mars personal planet.

I was looking for an answer to the general question of what would be the effects of an unaspected personal planet? We could be talking about Sun Sign Cancer with unaspected Moon, Leo Sun etc.

In my experience, each case is totally different. I think it depends entirely upon the placement by sign and house, and the other planets in relationship.

For example, if a planet is in detriment, and in a house not well suited to it's energies, and unaspected, it can be very difficult to express the energies of that planet. In that case there is no easy release for the energy, and it can become blocked. Sometimes it can then impede the power or ability of that planet to do it's 'job.' . A mars unaspected, lets say in libra in the 7th, may become easily defensive in one to one relations. It can describe a passive-aggressive way of expressing personal needs or desires. If that same mars had a sextile or trine to sun or moon, it may find it easier to express itself.
However, if you have an unaspected mars, in Aries in the 10th, it may be less restricted, because it is at home by sign and empowered by house. It may in fact be too unrestricted, and be quite a powerful force, running rampant with no dampening or controlling aspects to modify it.

An unaspected Mercury in Virgo in the 3rd is probably going to be much more 'functional' and rational and expressive than perhaps, an unaspected Mercury in Pisces in the 12th. The 12th house Mercury would be more prone to irrational, elusive , impressions than the former example.

There is a moving example of an unaspected Saturn on a thread here called
' a kitten/ not a lion' or something close to that. A triple Leo, and one might expect him to be king of the jungle. But his unaspected Saturn, lurking near the IC has kind of paralyzed his self esteem. The father is very disconnected and shows no love or respect or even caring for the poor kid, and it has taken it's toll. I think it would have been easier for the kid to have squares or oppositions from saturn, so he could hate his dad and release it. But having no aspects is like being in limbo, and being stuck in the middle of the emotions, and it can become obsessive behavior easily. :(

Last edited:

winterseye

ah k :)

If you dont mind, I'm curious then, how does that get changed with synastry connections to that planet that is unaspected in the natal chart...

so with the example of mars in libra natally, what happens when there's a bunch of contact in the synastry... say mars in libra conjunct venus in libra

Inside Out Orange

Katydid ... thank-you that's a really excellent explanation. Full of good easy-to-read examples. Do you think there's any extra significance when it's a personal planet? Winterseye ... that was pretty much my next question! My guess is that if someone has an unaspected planet, but it has a synastry connection with someone else ... the friend may help the native begin to understand the planets powers and effects in life. The aspect (e.g. trine or square) and planets involved will determine whether this is an easy or hard path.

Last edited:

R4VEN

Thanks for starting this thread, Inside Out Orange. I'd been considering beginning a separate thread on unaspected planets, but you beat me to it.

What katydid says about the nature of an unaspected planet - or an unaspected duet - is true, in that there are a whole lot of influences which determine how the planet will be expressed, because it will, even if this expression is blocked in some way. For instance, an unaspected Uranus ruling the 7th house will express itself quite personally, even it not being a personal planet.

My own particular interest in both yods and unaspected planets is in the purpose they give in a person's chart. It appears that there are hereditary themes which travel through the generations with those who are born in part to work further on the theme possessed by the unaspected planet(s).

Just to give an example - (and I don't wish to confuse) -:
One of my sons has a yod, part of which is a quincunx between Mars and Jupiter. One of my brothers possesses an unaspected duet formed by a quincunx between Mars and Jupiter. As a child I was severely and over a long period of time bullied by this brother - until he discovered athletics, and had a healthy outlet for his energy and rage.
Currently, this son is being targeted (bullied, humiliated, relentlessly pursued, but within the law) by an older male with an unaspected Mars-Jupiter opposition....... (and the resonances with my own early life bullying have made this difficult for me to stand by and watch.)
Going back yet another generation to my son's grandfathers, both had difficult Mars-Jupiter placements - one a square, and one a conjunction - but both had very repressed Mars energy, resulting in a lot of life frustration.

As I see it (today, at least) the theme of this Mars-Jupiter focus in the males in my family is to do with appropriate expression of the Mars-Jupiter energy. My brother has managed to channel it very effectively into his career, but he left behind him a very damaged sister. The task of my son is to firstly access this energy - currently repressed - and to use it effectively without damaging anyone else or himself.

katydid mentioned a young man from another thread who has an unaspected Saturn, and has a very difficult relationship with a critical and limiting father. The theme in this family being the role of fathers and fathering may seem a trifle obvious, but I'm sure the young man in question will have the opportunity to father a son of his own in a different way to how he has been fathered.

katydid

winterseye said:
ah k :)

If you dont mind, I'm curious then, how does that get changed with synastry connections to that planet that is unaspected in the natal chart...

so with the example of mars in libra natally, what happens when there's a bunch of contact in the synastry... say mars in libra conjunct venus in libra

It plays out much like you imagine it would. If the mars is unaspected natally, but has a conjunction by synastry, then that contact will probably have a strong impact on the unaspected planet. In the example of the mars in libra, unaspected in the 7th, but being conjunct Venus of a partner, it may be a good influence if that partner has good intentions. But the Venus person may become a powerful influence in that person's life , because of the sudden, strong connection felt. The mars person may feel that this person truly loves and understands him, and may put all of his personal drive into pursuing the love of the venus. However if the venus partner is not truthful or loyal, and the Mars feels betrayed, then there could be quite a bit of powerful drama. And all of that unreleased anger, confusion could be aimed towards that venus. :eek:

katydid

Inside Out Orange said:
Katydid ... thank-you that's a really excellent explanation. Full of good easy-to-read examples. Do you think there's any extra significance when it's a personal planet? Winterseye ... that was pretty much my next question! My guess is that if someone has an unaspected planet, but it has a synastry connection with someone else ... the friend may help the native begin to understand the planets powers and effects in life. The aspect (e.g. trine or square) and planets involved will determine whether this is an easy or hard path.

There is certainly extra significance when it is a personal planet. It is very rare to have a 'truly' unaspected planet. I mean that there are so many minor aspects, and there are asteroids, and angles to look at as well. I have not seen that many completely unaspected personal planets.

Yes, in synastry, the other becomes a 'conduit.' And it is especially powerful if it is by conjunction or opposition. If a kid with an unaspected Saturn, and a disconnected father, could find a suitable 'mentor'--like a teacher or boss--it may end up being someone with a strong connection to that lone Saturn. You would hope for a nice Jupiter connection to heal some of the repressed pain. You would hope NOT to see a negative Plutonian connection, in which someone would take advantage of that weakness, and try to manipulate and control him in that way.
One of the most difficult side effects of unaspected planets is the inability to integrate or recognize that aspect of one's personality. It is harder to 'modify' that behavior. My friend with an unaspected mercury has a hard time keeping up an 'equitable' conversation. She sometimes rambles on and on or she cuts others off abruptly. We have a code word , that she has us say when she is doing that. :p However she is also highly perceptive and very intelligent. Her mercury is in the 3rd in virgo, and is the only planet in virgo. She thinks things to death, and notices everything, and it can drive you crazy, but it is also nice when she notices something positive. Her husband has his mars on her mercury, and he is rude to her at times, but it works. When she whines or complains, which she does sometimes, he just yells STOP, and she does. :eek:

R4VEN said:
Thanks for starting this thread, Inside Out Orange. I'd been considering beginning a separate thread on unaspected planets, but you beat me to it.

What katydid says about the nature of an unaspected planet - or an unaspected duet - is true, in that there are a whole lot of influences which determine how the planet will be expressed, because it will, even if this expression is blocked in some way. For instance, an unaspected Uranus ruling the 7th house will express itself quite personally, even it not being a personal planet.

My own particular interest in both yods and unaspected planets is in the purpose they give in a person's chart. It appears that there are hereditary themes which travel through the generations with those who are born in part to work further on the theme possessed by the unaspected planet(s).

Just to give an example - (and I don't wish to confuse) -:
One of my sons has a yod, part of which is a quincunx between Mars and Jupiter. One of my brothers possesses an unaspected duet formed by a quincunx between Mars and Jupiter. As a child I was severely and over a long period of time bullied by this brother - until he discovered athletics, and had a healthy outlet for his energy and rage.
Currently, this son is being targeted (bullied, humiliated, relentlessly pursued, but within the law) by an older male with an unaspected Mars-Jupiter opposition....... (and the resonances with my own early life bullying have made this difficult for me to stand by and watch.)
Going back yet another generation to my son's grandfathers, both had difficult Mars-Jupiter placements - one a square, and one a conjunction - but both had very repressed Mars energy, resulting in a lot of life frustration.

As I see it (today, at least) the theme of this Mars-Jupiter focus in the males in my family is to do with appropriate expression of the Mars-Jupiter energy. My brother has managed to channel it very effectively into his career, but he left behind him a very damaged sister. The task of my son is to firstly access this energy - currently repressed - and to use it effectively without damaging anyone else or himself.

katydid mentioned a young man from another thread who has an unaspected Saturn, and has a very difficult relationship with a critical and limiting father. The theme in this family being the role of fathers and fathering may seem a trifle obvious, but I'm sure the young man in question will have the opportunity to father a son of his own in a different way to how he has been fathered.

Mars/Jupiter aspects are usually confidence aspects, energy used in Jupiter manner, obviously except the quincunx. A lot depends on the signs and house of course...I have Mars square Jupiter (both mutable and therefore adaptable) and never had any probs.

Usually with unaspected planets, they swing from under expressing to over expressing that planets energies until like quincunxs they learn moderation, integration.

I feel the orb you gave of 9.5 is far too wide for a trine, max I use is 6' so I would still consider the sun unaspected. Spiritually I believe we all chose our natal charts anyone to Learn the Lessons our Souls have come to learn or overcome......

EJ53

Banned
astrologer50 said:
....Usually with unaspected planets, they swing from under expressing to over expressing that planets energies until like quincunxs they learn moderation, integration....

My unaspected moon in Cancer/10th doesn't seem to swing A50........It behaves more like a separate entity that openly displays (to everyone) all the textbook astrological characteristics of this planet.......And my task appears to be to embrace those energies rather than to moderate or integrate them.

How to think (and express) rational thoughts about the things I feel strongly about..........To enjoy memories of the past but live in the present.....To accept that tradition should not impede the future......To protect/nurture my child but let go of the adult.......To feel everything but emotionally attach myself to nothing....These are the kind of things the unaspected moon seems to be asking me to learn....Perhaps "acceptance" rather than moderation or integration?

EJ:)

katydid

EJ53 said:
My unaspected moon in Cancer/10th doesn't seem to swing A50........It behaves more like a separate entity that openly displays (to everyone) all the textbook astrological characteristics of this planet.......And my task appears to be to embrace those energies rather than to moderate or integrate them.

How to think (and express) rational thoughts about the things I feel strongly about..........To enjoy memories of the past but live in the present.....To accept that tradition should not impede the future......To protect/nurture my child but let go of the adult.......To feel everything but emotionally attach myself to nothing....These are the kind of things the unaspected moon seems to be asking me to learn....Perhaps "acceptance" rather than moderation or integration?

EJ:)

I think in your case , moon/cancer, the word 'acceptance' is correct. But in the case of unaspected Mars, it may be more a case of 'moderation' as it is more action oriented than reflective and personal. And perhaps with Venus, it would be more a case of 'integration' etc.
Also, your unaspected Moon is strengthened by being in Cancer. If it were in
capricorn and in the 10th, it may have needed more in the way of moderation or integration. :eek:

R4VEN

EJ53 said:
My unaspected moon in Cancer/10th doesn't seem to swing A50........It behaves more like a separate entity that openly displays (to everyone) all the textbook astrological characteristics of this planet.......And my task appears to be to embrace those energies rather than to moderate or integrate them.EJ:)
I really resonate with that description, EJ. The statement: "It behaves more like a separate entity.." is something I have experienced, and I can also see in others. For instance, I went looking for an unaspected sun - and found it - on the natal chart of a young woman who, despite being Libran, is hugely bossy and controlling, particularly of her friends, but she is not aware of doing this. She's very high in energy and successful, but is sometimes hard to be around. She over-expresses her Libran sun. It rules her 7th house.

I have always - since early childhood, when I declared to a brother that I was planning to write books when I grew up - been aware of my Mercury (in Leo) unaspected. It has the benefit of a quintile with my MC, so has found its way out, so to speak, often without the necessary brakes on it to rein it in. I have been labelled a Drama Queen, too talkative, having too many opinions, so perhaps I over-express it.

Last night I was looking at the chart of a woman I know, searching for that `something', and discovered that she too has an unaspected Mercury - in Cap - but without a certain birth time I don't know about rulership. She has huge insecurity issues, is indirect and passive aggressive, and never says anything openly, but engages authorities (Saturnian in nature) to deliver her messages to others. eg. "I saw a psychologist, and she has written a report which states I was traumatised by.........blah, blah." When questioned directly about anything she is very afraid and evasive, and generally backs down or hides behind others. This appears to me to be self-protective behaviour. The engaging of others to deliver her messages tells me she feels unable/insecure about her own ability to deliver her own messages. The only communication I have ever had with her has been through others. Weird!

katydid

I have always - since early childhood, when I declared to a brother that I was planning to write books when I grew up - been aware of my Mercury (in Leo) unaspected. It has the benefit of a quintile with my MC, so has found its way out, so to speak, often without the necessary brakes on it to rein it in. I have been labelled a Drama Queen, too talkative, having too many opinions, so perhaps I over-express it.===========================

I know a successful writer, [television scripts for animated shows,] who has an unaspected mercury. And he also began the quest to become a writer at a very early age. His mother saved a 'book of jokes' that he had compiled at around kindergarten age. His mercury is in Aries in the 1st house.

He is also very talkative, but very funny and very animated and entertaining, although he does sometimes joke around about sensitive topics
and not know when to drop it.

R4VEN

katydid said:
His mother saved a 'book of jokes' that he had compiled at around kindergarten age.
My father kept letters I'd written home during my first two years as a teacher. He always reckoned they'd `be worth something one day'!! After his death in 1988 we found these letters in a box in the garage.
katydid said:
He is also very talkative, but very funny and very animated and entertaining, although he does sometimes joke around about sensitive topics and not know when to drop it.
I have also been guilty - often - of making a joke about something which others find decidedly unfunny.

His Mercury in Aries in 1st seems to have been well-expressed.

I have always had a downer upon myself because I haven't continued with the singer/song-writing I did when a young adult, or the stage antics I tried when a child, or even the novel-writing which I tried around 9-10 years ago (but stopped through sheer boredom!) My Mercury rules my 6th house, so have tended to use it in ways which are non-self-serving and provide service to others- eg teaching & counseling, mediating. In particular, I have frequently been called upon to use my Mercury skills in a voluntary way, and this has provided me with the most personally rewarding experiences of all.

normak

katydid said:
It plays out much like you imagine it would. If the mars is unaspected natally, but has a conjunction by synastry, then that contact will probably have a strong impact on the unaspected planet. In the example of the mars in libra, unaspected in the 7th, but being conjunct Venus of a partner, it may be a good influence if that partner has good intentions. But the Venus person may become a powerful influence in that person's life , because of the sudden, strong connection felt. The mars person may feel that this person truly loves and understands him, and may put all of his personal drive into pursuing the love of the venus. However if the venus partner is not truthful or loyal, and the Mars feels betrayed, then there could be quite a bit of powerful drama. And all of that unreleased anger, confusion could be aimed towards that venus. :eek:
Interestingly enough, my boyfriend has an unaspected Mars in Scorpio in his 8th house (aside from a trine to his Ascendant). In our synastry, all of my personal planets and points (including exact vertex conjunction!) closely aspect his Mars (Moon-Mars conjunction, Sun-Mars sextile, Mercury-Mars sextile, Jupiter-Mars conjunction, Venus-Mars square). I suppose this means that our relationship is particularly meaningful to him, and/or causes him to feel strong emotions? There are several other potent synastry connections, of course, but I found this unaspected Mars concept to be particularly interesting. :) Thoughts?

R4VEN

normak said:
Interestingly enough, my boyfriend has an unaspected Mars in Scorpio in his 8th house (aside from a trine to his Ascendant). In our synastry, all of my personal planets and points (including exact vertex conjunction!) closely aspect his Mars (Moon-Mars conjunction, Sun-Mars sextile, Mercury-Mars sextile, Jupiter-Mars conjunction, Venus-Mars square). I suppose this means that our relationship is particularly meaningful to him, and/or causes him to feel strong emotions? There are several other potent synastry connections, of course, but I found this unaspected Mars concept to be particularly interesting. :) Thoughts?
It sounds like your relationship is very significant for him.

As I look at it, without the usual aspects to other planets in his own chart through which his Mars can find a `channel' for expression, this expression can be found through aspects with your natal planets when in a relationship with you. Given the planetary relationships are with your most personal planets, it seems that the relationship you have with him could be quite intense and personal. It would be important for you to be consious of how these aspects-in-synastry could play out in your relationship.

For instance, my unaspected Mercury formed a nice easy trine with my (very) ex-husband's Sun-Mars-Asc conjunction, but a very blocking and often destructive square with his natal Moon. Most of our discussions/arguments became my words vs. his emotions - which he found impossible to express without getting angry.

katydid

normak said:

This Mars , imo, is an example of a planet, that although 'unaspected', is still a very powerful and potent energy. The Mars is more than a little comfortable in Scorpio and the 8th, so he would LOVE having so much of your chart's attention. If his Mars was in a difficult or awkward sign and house then maybe he would be uncomfortable with your vertex, such a highly personal point, sitting on his Mars. However I would think he feels that his personal desires and goals are very important and his passions run very deep, so what better than to have a highly perceptive ,[mercury sextile] refined lunar goddess [moon conjunction] such as yourself , looking so closely. Even if he does have to put up with a little relationship drama now and then [ venus square] :60:

katydid

R4VEN said:
My father kept letters I'd written home during my first two years as a teacher. He always reckoned they'd `be worth something one day'!! After his death in 1988 we found these letters in a box in the garage.
I have also been guilty - often - of making a joke about something which others find decidedly unfunny.

His Mercury in Aries in 1st seems to have been well-expressed.

I have always had a downer upon myself because I haven't continued with the singer/song-writing I did when a young adult, or the stage antics I tried when a child, or even the novel-writing which I tried around 9-10 years ago (but stopped through sheer boredom!) My Mercury rules my 6th house, so have tended to use it in ways which are non-self-serving and provide service to others- eg teaching & counseling, mediating. In particular, I have frequently been called upon to use my Mercury skills in a voluntary way, and this has provided me with the most personally rewarding experiences of all.

It must have been nice to see that he had kept those. :)
Yes, his mercury is well expressed. He is pretty satisfied with his work and career. It is all he ever wanted to do he has said.

Yes, writing novels is pure sheer utter boredom. It is a very
'disconnected' process. Just you and your thoughts and keyboard.

I have Sun /Saturn/Neptune in the 6th and I have ended up doing way more volunteer work than most people do.