Dumb Question: Which House Rules Sports?

Earth Sign

The most common answer I have read is that the 5th house rules sports and outdoor activity, but it is also generally agreed upon that Mars is the planetary ruler of sports, which is the ruler of Aries,* which rules the 1st house.* Going by this logic, the 1st house would rule sports because it is ruled by Mars. I've never read anywhere that the 1st house rules sports. Nor have I read anywhere that Leo or the Sun (the rulers of the 5th house*) rule sports. I find this somewhat confusing.

I know I focus a lot on design, but I have a problem with these contradictory assessments in modern astrology. I am going somewhere with this, I'd like to read your thoughts. Please explain some of this to me, and encourage me to go on. :)

*modern/popularized agreement on rulership.

JUPITERASC

The most common answer I have read is that the 5th house rules sports and outdoor activity, but it is also generally agreed upon that Mars is the planetary ruler of sports, which is the ruler of Aries,* which rules the 1st house.* Going by this logic, the 1st house would rule sports because it is ruled by Mars. I've never read anywhere that the 1st house rules sports. Nor have I read anywhere that Leo or the Sun (the rulers of the 5th house*) rule sports. I find this somewhat confusing.

I know I focus a lot on design, but I have a problem with these contradictory assessments in modern astrology. I am going somewhere with this, I'd like to read your thoughts. Please explain some of this to me, and encourage me to go on. :)

*modern/popularized agreement on rulership.

"Astrologically, Mars is associated with confidence and self assertion, aggression, sexuality, energy, strength, ambition, and impulsiveness. Mars governs sports, competitions and physical activities in general. The 1st-century poet Manilius, described the planet as ardent, and as the lesser malefic"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planets_in_astrology

As to Modern Astrology, it is entirely based on Traditional Astrology without which it could not function at all.

Furthermore, it is interesting that there have never been ten days in a week!!! There are seven planets visible with the naked eye and there are seven days of the week.

http://www.astrology.com.tr/planetary-hours.asp "The planetary hours are based on the Chaldean order of planets: Saturn, Jupiter, Mars, Sun, Venus, Mercury, Moon, repeating endlessly Saturn, Jupiter, etc. The Chaldean order indicates the relative orbital velocity of the planets. This sequence also indicates the relative distance of the planets from the center of their orbits, i.e., the distance of the planets from the Sun (with the Sun switching places with the Earth in the sequence) and the distance of the Moon from the Earth. From a traditional geocentric perspective the Chaldean order also shows the arrangement of the planetary spheres."

Sunday = Sun day

Monday = Moon day

Tuesday = Tiu's day related to MARS by way of {Ti·u –noun an English god of the sky and of war, the equivalent of Tyr in Scandinavian mythology. Origin: variant of Old English Tiw god of war.} In Romance languages the word for Tuesday often resembles Mars (in Romanian, marţi , in Spanish, martes, in French, mardi and in Italian "martedì").

Wednesday = related to Mercury by way of a Germanic translation of the Latin form dies Mercurii "day of Mercury" Old English Wodnesdæg "Woden's day," a Germanic loan translation of Latin dies Mercurii "day of Mercury" (cf. Old Norse Oðinsdagr, Swedish. Onsdag , O.Fris. Wonsdei , M.Du. Wudensdach ). For Woden , see Odin. Contracted pronunciation is recorded from 15c.
Origin: before 950; Middle English Wednesdai, Old English *Wēdnesdæg, mutated variant of Wōdnesdæg Woden's day; cognate with Dutch Woensdag, Danish onsdag; translation of Latin Mercuriī diēs day of Mercury

Thursday = Thors day (Jupiter)

Friday = Freya's Day (relates to VENUS) by way of Old English frigedæg "Frigga's day," (see Frigg), Germanic goddess of married love, a West Germanic translation of Latin dies Veneris, "day of (the planet) Venus," which itself translated Gk. Aphrodites hemera. Cf. Old Norse frijadagr, O.Fris. frigendei, Middle Dutch vridach, Dutch vrijdag, German Freitag "Friday," and the Latin-derived cognates Old French vendresdi, French vendredi, Spanish viernes . In the Germanic pantheon, Freya (q.v.) corresponds more closely in character to Venus than Frigg does, and some early Icelandic writers used Freyjudagr for "Friday." Origin: before 1000; Middle English; Old English Frīgedæg Freya's day, equivalent to Frīge (genitive singular of Frēo) + dæg day; Frēo is identical with Old English adj. frēo free

Saturday = Saturns day

No mention of Uranus, Neptune and Pluto there!!! :smile:

Earth Sign

Thanks for that link, SniperBomber328, that's exactly the kind of stuff I've been thinking about.

Now I'm not sure whether to continue my point on this thread or pop the ideas onto that one. I wonder if that would be considered off-subject?

The point I was going to lead this thread into was a theory of alternative house rulership by sign, thought up by Carl Payne Tobey.

JUPITERASC, I'm afraid I don't follow. I noticed you emboldened the part of my post where I mentioned focusing on design, and if you're pointing out how traditional astrology has a more trustworthy design than modern astrology, I would say you're right.

I've given consideration to the traditional method, as there are a lot of compelling arguments in it's favor, but I'm not experienced enough to call BS on any astrological system.

Thank you both for your input. :happy:

Last edited:

nbennett

The 5th house. In Carl PayneTobey's system, in his Correspondence Course.

The fifth is ruled by Aries and Pluto. All about risk taking, sports, love affairs, pioneering, children. But in a competition, you use the Asc/Dsc to gues who will will. 7th is open enemies, the opponent.

dr. farr

I too accept the generally recognized 5th house signification for sports, However, professional sports as we know it today, is a BIG business operation, and I think that this business-aspect of (professional) sports (ie 10th house) might need to be considered,,,

Alice McDermott

As to Modern Astrology, it is entirely based on Traditional Astrology without which it could not function at all.

Oh Dear! Of course Modern Astrology is based on various types of traditional astrology - it has just developed these concepts further! Just as medicine, science, art etc., are all based on ancient knowledge that has been further developed.

No modern astrologer would dream of discarding all the work done by their predecessors, but most understand that this work was how they mapped the effects of planetary energy on earth and the zodiac of the earth to the best of their understanding in their cultures. We know much more about the workings of our own solar system and quite a bit about the galaxy now, so modern astrologers can take the study of our art much further.

Furthermore, it is interesting that there have never been ten days in a week!!! There are seven planets visible with the naked eye and there are seven days of the week.

Yes, naming the days of the week after the planets we can see is very elegant - but other cultures have arranged time in quite different ways, so it is just a convenience.

Even if these seven days in a week were used by every culture in every time throughout history and each carried the names of the planets we could see, it would still not negate the viability of the other planets in our solar system.

To me to totally ignore planets in our solar system that we can see with our telescopes but not with our eyes is madness.

And of course there has been ten day weeks - this was the way the Egyptians measured time and their culture lasted about three thousand years http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Week

"The planetary hours are based on the Chaldean order of planets: Saturn, Jupiter, Mars, Sun, Venus, Mercury, Moon, repeating endlessly Saturn, Jupiter, etc. The Chaldean order indicates the relative orbital velocity of the planets. This sequence also indicates the relative distance of the planets from the center of their orbits, i.e., the distance of the planets from the Sun (with the Sun switching places with the Earth in the sequence) and the distance of the Moon from the Earth. From a traditional geocentric perspective the Chaldean order also shows the arrangement of the planetary spheres."

No mention of Uranus, Neptune and Pluto there!!! :smile:

Of course not- they didn't even know they existed so how could they mention them? This doesn't change the fact that they do exist and are therefore included in modern astrology.

Alice

Last edited:

Lin

5th house rules "games." and "gaming" ....gambling.
A game has a lot to do with pitting your skill and luck against that of another.
It's 5th house.

But each sport and type of context of games would have to have a wider definition.
Baseball with its leagues and seasons, tennis ....so very 3rd house....the Olympics... in which all countries take part (9th & 11th?) So.... the question would be part of the way it's answered.
The playing of the game (excluding the business part) I would ascribe to the 5-11 axis.
LIN

JUPITERASC

To me to totally ignore planets in our solar system that we can see with our telescopes but not with our eyes is madness.

Madness? That seems rather an extreme diagnosis!

There are astrologers who simply practice visual astrology by taking note of the seven classical planets that are visible to the unaided eye.

That's NOT 'ignoring' - on the contrary - obviously BECAUSE the planets in question are invisible without the use of powerful telescopes THEN they are not being ignored. Few have access to powerful telescopes and rather than 'ignoring' what is in any event invisible, are instead viewing what IS visible. So, to focus on observations of the visible fixed stars and planets of the night sky IS NOT madness - just commonsense :smile:

..... they didn't even know they existed so how could they mention them? This doesn't change the fact that they do exist and are therefore included in modern astrology.Alice
Neither does it change the fact that the recently discovered three outer planets remain invisible to eyes that are unaided by artificial aids such as telescopes

5th house rules "games." and "gaming" ....gambling.
A game has a lot to do with pitting your skill and luck against that of another.
It's 5th house.

But each sport and type of context of games would have to have a wider definition.
Baseball with its leagues and seasons, tennis ....so very 3rd house....the Olympics... in which all countries take part (9th & 11th?) So.... the question would be part of the way it's answered.
The playing of the game (excluding the business part) I would ascribe to the 5-11 axis.
LIN
Remember that the house and sign location of the planetary ruler of the 5th is also a significator for sports and sporting activities

IleneK

Premium Member
Neither does it change the fact that the recently discovered three outer planets remain invisible to eyes that are unaided by artificial aids such as telescopes

Likewise, if one is nearsighted and not wearing glasses one cannot see the trees. They are not visible to the unaided eye. But the trees are still real and highly influential in our lives. Bacteria cannot be seen without the aid of a microscope. We all know their reality and influence in our lives.

I never do exactly get what your oft repeated point is about not being able to see planets without the aid of telescopes. Perhaps you could explain it?

charmvirgo

Someone with Mars in 5th house would have a very competitive recreational side and exert personal drives in an interpersonal way wanting to win at sports.

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

I never do exactly get what your oft repeated point is about not being able to see planets without the aid of telescopes. Perhaps you could explain it?
Of course, gladly :smile:

SO,

IN TERMS OF VIEWING THE NIGHT SKIES
, THEN WHAT EXACTLY IS 'THE NAKED EYE'?

When discussing viewing of the night skies, it is astronomical convention to refer to viewing the skies without the aid of a telescope as 'naked eye viewing'

BECAUSE

wearing glasses makes no difference to one's ability to see planets beyond Saturn – as they are simply invisible to the naked eye – i.e. planets beyond Saturn are EQUALLY invisible to those who require glasses AS WELL AS to those do not require glasses

– i.e. a powerful telescope is required to view planets beyond Saturn. Most do not have access to powerful telescopes

In contrast, Sun, Moon, Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn are conventionally referred to by astrologers as 'the seven visible planets' simply because they are clearly visible not only to those with excellent eyesight who do NOT require glasses BUT ALSO are equally clearly visible to those who DO require glasses.

SO

(1) although wearing glasses could well assist those who - for any reason other than cloudy skies/bad weather - are not able to see the Moon, Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn and a sprinkling of Fixed Stars in the night sky

BUT

(2) wearing glasses would NOT make planets BEYOND Saturn any more visible.
Glasses do not have sufficiently powerful magnification to do that!

To view planets beyond Saturn one requires a powerful telescope
– hence the eye is no longer unaided and can no longer be considered 'naked'
– that's because no matter how excellent the vision, the human eye requires powerful telescopes to view planets beyond Saturn.

Likewise, if one is nearsighted and not wearing glasses one cannot see the trees. They are not visible to the unaided eye. But the trees are still real and highly influential in our lives. Bacteria cannot be seen without the aid of a microscope. We all know their reality and influence in our lives.
The analogy with 'being unable to see trees due to being nearsighted' is not applicable because if one is standing within a reasonable distance then obviously trees are clearly visible to most people without the aid of glasses SO if the trees are not visible, then clearly the wearing of glasses is most probably indicated!

WHEREAS IN CONTRAST, whether one wears glasses or not and whether one is near sighted or not - planets beyond Saturn are simply not visible

M

may28gemini

I think having 5th house Mars would be well placed for recreational sports whereas 6th house Mars would be well placed for vocational sports.

Lin

Anyone is free to ignore any planets they want. LOL...never heard of this though.
However: the PLANETS will not ignore YOU....

so we might as well study them all... or we can't call ourselves astrologers.
LIN