I've stopped believing in transits

Kenoshamaensa

Ooops, I skipped this one.

I wonder now, after your recent posts, whether maybe the answers you seek are not in your external circumstances, but in "inner work."

Perhaps.

If I might share two personal examples.... I have always truly loved the Great Outdoors, and I have been a spiritual person who never found any particular faith to be truly compelling. But I have wanted to have that sense of security and belonging. In 2006 my husband and I were hiking in a provincial park, and the belief came to me very forcefully that I could best worship God through my profound appreciation of nature. Walking in beautiful places, in fact, inspired my deepest sense of connection with the divine.

About half an hour after that wonderful revelation, I slipped on some ice, broke my ankle, and was in a cast for several months thereafter. Subsequently the osteoarthritis in my knees flared up. I had arthroscopy last year, and a full knee replacement a month ago. I still get around with a walker.

Wow. Sort of ironic. But having broken my ankle twice, I know what a pain in the neck it is.

During a recent transit of transiting Pluto semi-square sun, I got embroiled (predictably) in some disputes with some individuals who seemed very underhanded and Plutonian. After a while of this power dynamic, I recalled the work of Eckhart Tolle (The Power of Now) who says that most of what we fuss ourselves about is really ego-centred. It occured to me that 98% of the problem with these people was really ego-activated. Once I just let it go, life got a lot happier, and those guys sort of went away. I think that was my sun-Pluto lesson: not ego battles, but ego release.

Now that also seems to be similar to my own experiences with Pluto transits. They're less about others than about me/my interactions with others. By contrast, Saturn transits seem to manifest more concretely (although not always).

If I can make comparisons with your life, maybe you've got attachments that really don't support you. If life gives us a metaphorical "broken ankle" maybe it's a wake-up call to de-materialize our desires, and to focus more on our inner growth. Maybe your soul is up to something more than your material circumstances and career goals. If you can find out what you are really about, once you let go of your externalities, what do you see?

Life is short, and the person with the most toys (dollars, achievements, possessions, relationships, &c) doesn't necessarily win.

I think much of the problem is simply having had previous supports removed (against my will) by a divorce, and trying to rebuild from that, but having little success, in part due to circumstances that I can't change. (Or I could change them, but in a "cut off my nose to spite my face" reaction. Better to find ways to change these things in smaller ways.)

waybread

Thanks for your reply, Kay-- but please don't take my post too literally.

It wasn't about a broken ankle being painful or inconvenient. Nor was it about our external support systems and unwanted circumstances.

Rather, it was about looking towards one's inner development as the solution to our problems.

If unwanted external circumstances keep piling up and upsetting us, no matter what we do to defeat them, maybe the cosmic signposts are pointing in a different direction.

Within.

nbennett

I only believe in transits to the natal!!! Hard aspects especially. One must ACT to get an effect with a sextile or trine!!!. Soft aspects require action on the part of the native. I dropped progressions and time periods long ago.

Munch

I'm inclined to agree with not paying any attention to short transits. It's the long ones that are going to be shaping the backdrop to our lives and creating opportunities. Sometimes the set-up takes a very long time and will be indicated by a succession of slowly changing long term aspects.

I've felt like I've lived my life under one ridiculous rain cloud. In the past I've been one part depressed, one part Poly Anna. Now days I find myself to be a snarky, sarcastic, lighthearted, cautiously optimistic person that somewhere in the back of my mind still fully believes in the laws of attraction and such. However at the fore of my mind is a more realistic person that has been effectively dragged down to earth. It's taken a very long time to make this change. I bring it up because, I began to wonder about how my life has always been in inward experience that I have allowed to flow along the currents of time without much direction. I took another look at my chart and realized that my whole life has been one long Pluto transit. I have Pluto in the 1st natally and all of my planets in the first quadrant sans Mars in the 5th at five degrees.

Pluto has impacted by conjunction all of my planets (but Saturn/Jupiter and my Sun/Merc) and now one angle. Pluto is right now on my IC until Dec. 2012 and will move into conjunction with my sun around February 26 2014. Interestingly enough, Pluto sits on my POF natally as well. I think that this is symbolic of the fact that Pluto will relentlessly and sometimes forcefully shape my life for a very, very, very long time. It'll be a while before Pluto makes it to my Mars and hopefully I shall be old enough and 'wise enough' to handle that with grace. :)

Anyway, I really do think that the longer influences hold sway. My Saturn Return was classic in the manner that it manifested so I site that as another reason to have faith in longer term transits. The jury is still out for me on Progressions.

I just did a quick check on the time Pluto was conjunct my Uranus and it matches exactly the time period in which I lost 3 friends to suicide and my step father claimed I pulled a Knife on him so my mom would send me away to live with my dad, though she didn't. Instead she put me in a tiny private school and grounded me for the following 2 years. Literally. It was not a fun time for a 14 year old.

And the time Pluto was conjunct my Sagittarius stellium, it's safe to say that the mantra 'Sex, and Drugs and Rock n' Roll' was the one I lived by. What a royal mess I made of my life then.

Attachments

• natal chart.gif
    natal chart.gif
    45.9 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

Mist Knacker

While I still have faith in natal astrology, over the past 2 years, I've stopped believing in transits, solar returns, progressions and most "predictive" astrology.

Natal charts still, IME -- after almost 20 years reading -- seem fairly accurate. I also used to find at least some long-term transits to be accurate.

But lately? Nada. Especially short-term. Not only are they "not accurate," they're DEAD WRONG. Just to give a concrete example. Today, I had a Sun sextile Venus and tomorrow, Venus trine the ascendant. That should make me feel really GOOD, right? Charming, loved, important, etc.
The primary use of inner planet transits are in Triple Transits where a natal planet is receiving a transit from an outer planet (Jupiter to Pluto), and at the same time, that same natal planet receives a transit from an inner planet (Sun, Mercury, Venus, Mars) and the Moon. The Moon acts as the final trigger.

The orbs used are <= 1 degree, and the only aspects used are conjunctions, squares and oppositions. Sometimes, semi-squares and sesquiquadrates are used. This is because hard aspects tend to make something happen.