Question Natal Chart Ruler?

smilingsteph

I hope not to make anyone's eyes roll, but I am still working on aspects in relation to charts...and I came upon someone on the forum talking about natal chart rulerships? by saying that their mercury rules their chart? I have heard this stated in Horary astrology too, but have not gone there yet as I am not quite ready!
What significance would this make on a chart?
I tried to look it up and have more questions now...
Is the ruler of the chart the ascendants natural ruler...mine is aquarius so does that mean Uranus rules my chart?
I also saw something that states, whichever quality your chart has the most of you would pick a planet to rule the chart?
I have lots of mutable in my chart....
I also read that the more aspected a planet is in the chart and the more positive it is, makes that the ruler of the chart?
What does this have to do with an overall view of one's chart?
Or am I totally off?
Thanks so much you all for your help!!! Shake n Bake!! :60:

sageofaquarius

Greetings SmilingSteph

How nice to have someone express their thanks to those on the forum who have shared their understanding.

Once again I find myself in agreement with Shining Ray. Welcome to the age of Aquarius, Uranian sister.

Cosmic love.

Sage (or Thyme as I'm known when in my Saturn mode!)

Last edited:

wilsontc

Staff member
chart ruler, to Steph

Steph,

Sure sounds like a simple question, doesn't it? ;) But astrologers have lots of different opinions about "chart ruler". Some say it is the ruler of the Ascendant, others use more complex, traditional methods, some take a look at dispositing. I say there is no "ruler" of a chart. A chart will naturally focus on different energies and areas of life and THOSE are the things that the chart is about.

Unruled,

Tim

Lin

Re: chart ruler, to Steph

I believe there is always a ruler in a chart.
It can be the ruler of the ascendant.... but not necessarily. For instance:
my ascendant is Scorpio, but my Pluto is in a cadent house.

My Mercury disposits 4 of my planets and is the highest planet in my chart, so I believe Mercury is the ruler of my chart.

But let's say my Sun was on my MC.... it definitely would rule my chart.

Planets on an angle figure very heavily in this discussion.
LIN

Ebenia

This really is a complex thing. For instance, I have Taurus ASC, which means that my chart ruler would be Venus in Aquarius in 12th.

But, then I have Jupiter near ASC, Uranus is right on my MC and my Moon makes the most aspects. So which one to follow really? I don't really know, but I am not sure if it is that important. The whole picture is really the one that makes the difference to me.

Lin

Venus is probably not the ruler of your chart. Can we see your chart or can you give your birth info?
LIN

Ebenia

Lin said:
Venus is probably not the ruler of your chart. Can we see your chart or can you give your birth info?
LIN

Yes, here you go:

4th of January 1988 12:07
Turku, Finland (+2h GT)

And it seems that I have made a mistake - Uranus is not on my MC, it is Neptune. But still, I am confused about it, cause there is so many factors that are "strong" on my chart...Jupiter, Moon, Neptune, my Sun in Capricorn in 10th...

Well, tell me what you think!

Lin

Actually, I was speaking to Steph, but I looked at yours anyway, Ebenia.
I am always taken aback when I see the chart of someone from the upper latitudes... because there are almost always 4 intercepted signs... which is, for me, unusual.
This means only 8 house rulers....
anyway...
this is NOT cut and dried.... but I would say your rulers are Saturn and Sun.
Saturn because it rules your MC and 3 of your planets, the Sun because it's close to the MC and is also in Capricorn, the ruler of the MC.
What about Neptune? Neptune will always be very important in your life, and you will have to learn to manage it. You can't control it, but you can get to know it and learn to manage it. Luckily it sextiles Pluto.... unfortunately it also opposes your moon, though the opposition has a wide orb, the fact that the Sun conjuncts Neptune and the Sun makes an indisputable opposition to your moon brings the Neptune in with it.

May I ask if you were adopted or was there some other unusual arrangement in your childhood besides being brought up at home with 2 parents in the ordinary way?
LIN

Ebenia

Lin said:
this is NOT cut and dried.... but I would say your rulers are Saturn and Sun.
Saturn because it rules your MC and 3 of your planets, the Sun because it's close to the MC and is also in Capricorn, the ruler of the MC.
What about Neptune? Neptune will always be very important in your life, and you will have to learn to manage it. You can't control it, but you can get to know it and learn to manage it.

I have always felt that Neptune has a strong influence on me, so it is very true that it has a strong effect on my life.

May I ask if you were adopted or was there some other unusual arrangement in your childhood besides being brought up at home with 2 parents in the ordinary way?
LIN

I was not adopted, but I have had very hard conditions as a child. I have quite cold relationship with my dad and very warm with my mother - but my mother is an alcoholic (Moon opposition Neptune). My dad has always thought my brother as a favourite and I have never had a connection with my dad and that has really effected me.

My parents divorced when I was a teenager and my brother moved away with my father and I decided to stay and "take care" of my alcoholic mother.

I also have a kidney disease and I have an kidney transplant. And because Neptune rules blood and I feel that it also is a significant mentioner of my illness, that is also a reason why I feel Neptune is very important.

Thanks for seeing my chart. Hope you learned something. :)

Lin

Steph, I think chart rulers can change, or morph.... because of progressions... and temporarily, because of solar return charts.
Even tho I agree that Uranus seems to be your chart ruler, there are other important identifiers. Mercury seems to be always strong in your chart. In your progressed chart now Mercury disposits 4 planets and is active.
Being a Gemini, Merc will aways be a co ruler of your chart.

But another interesting thing is the position of your natal sun,the Sun, at the nadir. The nadir has a negative connotation but truly it is the position of "innermost identity."
In your current progressed chart the Sun, at the nadir, is in Cancer. In your current solar return chart Uranus is at the nadir. Therefore, you are internalizing both Lunar and Uranian energies that will stay with you permanently.
Your identity changes, and so does the ruler of your chart. Your natal ruler will always be vital, but never underestimate "the evolution of the spirit."
LIN

Arian Maverick

Of course, you will receive all sorts of different opinions about this.

I will always consider Mars in Gemini to be the ruler of my chart, even if I happen to have a Pisces Ascendant and the its traditional ruler would be Jupiter in Gemini (in debility) or Neptune in Capricorn (also a weak placement).

Mars in Gemini is not a very strong position in and of itself--it is peregrine, if I remember correctly--and I believe its placement in the cadent third house only intensifies this effect. However, I do not believe that a planet must necessarily be strongly placed in order to be the ruler of a chart, although those who use the Lord of the Geniture as the chart ruler will surely disagree with me.

Yet I have all of my inner planets--Sun, Moon, Mercury, and Venus--in the first house in Aries, so it seems unnatural for any other planet than Mars to rule my natal chart. Saturn is much more strongly placed in its own sign and house--it is angular to boot--yet although it is the undisputed ruler of my Capricorn stellium, I do not believe these outer planets have as personal an effect in my chart; thus, although Saturn is certainly an important planet, I do not consider it to be my chart ruler, although I have been told that it is the best candidate to be the Lord of the Geniture.

In another situation I may certainly consider the Lord of the Geniture to be the natal chart ruler, but in my own case, it just doesn't feel right. Goodness, listen to all of this talk about personal feelings; I must certainly have that Pisces Ascendant! :rolleyes:

Arian Maverick

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
Well, for myself there would be no differentiation.

My LoG is Jupiter in Cancer in the Fourth, and my Ascendant is Pisces. However, I'm much more likely to believe that Jupiter rules my chart because he packs the biggest wallop, and not just because a Sign he rules was on the Eastern horizon. Placement is important, and it's obviously a simpler way to calculate the chart ruler, but it's a little farfetched.

Kingsley

Its just the ruler of the chart thats all. The Lord of the ascendant is "you" in the chart and its placement, aspects, receptions, debilities, progression are all about the event of your birth. The ruler of the ascendant is the natural Timelord which resonates in its purest form every 12 years. The ruler of the chart is used to determine all manner of life events and it pays to keep a watchfull eye on its contacts with other points and planets.

kingsley

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member

The Lord of the ascendant is "you" in the chart and its placement, aspects, receptions, debilities, progression are all about the event of your birth.

My Ascendant is me physically, yes. It's not all of me, that's the entirety of my chart.

Also, Beth, something I just remembered. Your Mercury and Mars are in mutual reception, also Mars has Face in Gemini from 10° to 19° and Term in 25° to 29°. Mars is also the traditional ruler of the Third house. So, maybe he's not as weak as you think he is.

Last edited: