A yod

Sharen

Do i have i yod and if i do what does it means

[IMGR]https://www.linkpicture.com/q/239AF8E8-4E67-4BDC-899A-CAE59830A56C.jpeg[/IMGR]

Last edited by a moderator:

leomoon

An excellent article about how the YOD (Finger of God formation), works in the natal chart - Yods are considered to be the mark of a fated existence in a certain direction (planets involved with the houses involved) that you feel powerless to control or change. I have one (involving Uranus, Pluto & my Sun) and would agree with this article:

https://astrostyle.com/what-is-a-yod-astrology-chart/

david starling

An excellent article about how the YOD (Finger of God formation), works in the natal chart - Yods are considered to be the mark of a fated existence in a certain direction (planets involved with the houses involved) that you feel powerless to control or change. I have one (involving Uranus, Pluto & my Sun) and would agree with this article:

https://astrostyle.com/what-is-a-yod-astrology-chart/

I have a double Yod, with Neptune and Pluto at the base of the Quincunx triangle, and close-Conjunct Merc and Mars at the apex. So, it's one Yod if I use the Merc/Mars midpoint at the tip.

leomoon

Usually with the natal charts we erect, especially so at astrodienst site, they use a broken green line of the "skinny triangle", which points to the planets connected via the Yod.

I've seen some with the green broken-double lines, closely connected. Since my Uranus in the 11th (air house, air planet in Gemini), is cj. my NN, I suppose I might suggest that my North Node is also part of a Yod with Mercury (which conj. my Sun in the other Yod), and Pluto.

Any way I look at them, it comes back to "fated" life to suffer I suppose for a purpose. The article speaks of breaking a generational upset in a long family line, and I can see where this was so for me, and even for Diana who is part of the Yod family. I hadn't thought of the connections to a family history before I read this article.:surprised: but now can see it easily enough. I was the first in my Roman Catholic family to divorce after a very short time. I was the first to come out of the closet (so to speak), about sex abuse. I was the first to rebel in so many ways and always the first to do so. :surprised::surprised:

In her own way, so was Diana rebelling against the Crown of the married into family, as well as her childhood problems which tore at her soul.

Maybe we "should" feel better knowing it was all fated. :annoyed: But I don't think any of us do, as it is simply more "explained" in the stars and planets, i.e. the cosmos.

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

Do i have i yod

and

if i do what does it means

[IMGR]https://www.linkpicture.com/q/239AF8E8-4E67-4BDC-899A-CAE59830A56C.jpeg[/IMGR]

Sharen,

You do not have a yod in your birth chart.

Astro-simply,

Tim
AN INTRODUCTION TO CHART SHAPING AND ASPECTS IN ASTROLOGY
by
Nicholas Campion

https://www.skyscript.co.uk/aspects2.html

YOD :smile:

aspyod.gif
Also known as the Finger of Fate

or the Finger of God
Yod is the name given
to two planets in opposition
connected to two other planets
one by semi-sextiles
and
the other by quincunxes.

There is a consensus that this pattern is important
but

few astrologers make much use of it. :smile:

The two additional planets provide a choice of paths for the individual
to express
or
discharge
the tension of
the opposition.

Osamenor

Staff member
Do i have i yod and if i do what does it means

Learn to identify aspects, and you can figure that out for yourself.

Do you have any sextiles in your chart? Planets are sextile when they're 60 degrees apart, give or take 3-10 degrees, depending on what orb you use. That makes them two signs apart, unless it's an out of sign sextile, which it can be if one planet is near the end of its sign and the other is near the beginning of its.

Do you have any quincunxes? Planets are quincunx when they're 150 degrees apart, and the orb for quincunxes is tighter - only 2 or 3 degrees. Unless they're right at the cusp, planets in quincunx are always five signs apart.

It's impossible to have a yod if you don't have any quincunxes. It's also impossible to have a yod if you don't have any sextiles. But if you do have both aspects, that doesn't automatically mean you have a yod, because they have to be connected to form a yod.

For it to be a yod, there have to be two planets in sextile AND a third planet quincunx both of the sextiling planets.

So, check your chart and see for yourself.

Osamenor

Staff member
For quick reference, to form a yod, there have to be planets at approximately the same degree of all three signs in one of the following combinations:

Aries, Gemini, and Scorpio

Taurus, Cancer, and Sagittarius

Gemini, Leo, and Capricorn

Cancer, Virgo, and Aquarius

Leo, Libra, and Pisces

Virgo, Scorpio, and Aries

Libra, Sagittarius, and Taurus

Scorpio, Capricorn, and Gemini

Sagittarius, Aquarius, and Cancer

Capricorn, Pisces, and Leo

Aquarius, Aries, and Virgo

Pisces, Taurus, and Libra

Last edited:

david starling

For quick reference, to form a yod, there have to be planets at approximately the same degree of all three signs in one of the following combinations:

Aries, Gemini, and Scorpio

Taurus, Cancer, and Sagittarius

Gemini, Leo, and Capricorn

Cancer, Virgo, and Aquarius

Leo, Libra, and Pisces

Virgo, Scorpio, and Aries

Libra, Sagittarius, and Taurus

Scorpio, Capricorn, and Gemini

Sagittarius, Aquarius, and Cancer

Capricorn, Pisces, and Leo

Aquarius, Aries, and Virgo

Pisces, Taurus, and Libra

Is there agreement on "approximately"?

Osamenor

Staff member
Is there agreement on "approximately"?

A quincunx only has an orb of 2 or 3 degrees. (I know of one astrologer who uses wider ones, but he's an anomaly.) The sextile can be wider, as long as both sextiled planets have a 2-3 degree orb, or less, to the quincunx planet.

So we're probably looking at a maximum range of 5 or 6 degrees between the planets in sextile. The planet in quincunx would have to be within 2 or 3 degrees' orb to each of the other planets.

Last edited:

leomoon

Now I'm not sure, I was letting the drawing on the computer direct me, with the broken lines - and telling me I had 2 Yods.

Capricorn: Gemini: Leo:

Sun: 18:49Cap Uranus gem 18°36 Pluto 12"43°Leo

Merc: 10°Cap NN 11°Gem.

I have a book for Yods by Karen Hamaker, but will need to search for it tomorrow. Too late here, and I can't see well.

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

Not a yod

because
Yod is the name given
to TWO PLANETS IN OPPOSITION

and
those TWO PLANETS IN OPPOSITION
are connected to two other planets
one by semi-sextiles
and
the other by quincunxes.

BUT NOTICE THAT

there is no opposition shown on that link

aspyod.gif

or the Finger of God
Yod is the name given
one by semi-sextiles
and
the other by quincunxes.

Osamenor

Staff member
Not a yod

because
Yod is the name given
to TWO PLANETS IN OPPOSITION

and
those TWO PLANETS IN OPPOSITION
are connected to two other planets
one by semi-sextiles
and
the other by quincunxes.

BUT NOTICE THAT

there is no opposition shown on that link

aspyod.gif

or the Finger of God
Yod is the name given
one by semi-sextiles
and
the other by quincunxes.

There's no opposition in a yod. Just the quincunxes and sextile. What makes Sharen's placement not a yod is that it's not made up entirely of planets.

If there is a planet in opposition to the apex planet of a yod, that's a yod kite. While a yod can be part of a yod kite, most yods are not.

Last edited:

leomoon

No, because the node isn't a planet. It has to be all planets to be a yod.

The Vedic Astrologers would disagree with this premise. This Astrologer does both Vedic and Tropical Astrology - and uses the outer planets and incorporates the Nodes as well into the Yod formation.

http://www.astromanda.com/yod-in-astrology-a-karmic-pattern/

Many of the Astrologers on Astrology King also use the Nodes as well as some asteroids.

I think the idea of using only planets stems from Karen Hamaker who wrote about the "Golden Yod" or that is what the astrologer Rick Levine who said he "renamed" the formation 20 yrs ago

I'm still searching for her "Golden Yod" book - which I either have or sold already, but I"ll continue to search the internet.
Until then I feel like Chirotic's post -and Manda's Astro work who incorporates the Nodes just as they incorporate the moon.

He was referring to Chirotic's Article on the Golden Yod:
These references to the article were in the Comments section -

chirotic February 8, 2009 at 11:50 am
Hi Nigel,
I assume you are referring to the book by Karen Hamaker-Zondag, and I haven’t read it so I cannot vouch for it. If it contains information on golden yods as opposed to normal yods however, I would be very interested in reading it.
As for the NN question, I am not sure if you are referring to Hitler’s chart (since the NN is not configured in this pattern: Mo/Ju – Eris – Ne/Pl – Sa – Ur) or to a hypothetical configuration. I am personally not convinced that NN would fail to function in either a yod or a golden yod, but they would certainly operate in very different ways, and a golden yod is always difficult to activate of course.
The Node is also not really an area of great expertise for me either, I keep meaning to read more and look at it more closely.
It seems to me that NN has maternal, fated/destined connotations, but mostly I am with Ebertin who creates from it a power of association, this seems to bear out. Ju in good aspect to NN always seems to create a positive leaning to fellowship in a person for example
Rick Levine February 10, 2009 at 8:23 am

Hi Chirotic,
Good article on the Golden Yod. I appreciate that you truly seem to get it. As the person who first identified and wrote about this configuration, I appreciate that this concept is finally getting into the general discourse of astrology. When I named this configuration about 20 years ago, my rationale was based upon my interest in sacred geometry and the relationship between the Golden Mean (what Kepler and Da Vinci called “the Divine Proportion”). As you probably know, this ratio (1.6180339…) can only be created exactly by the construction of a 5-pointed star. I began to realize that this “quintile yod” was the real thing and the “quincunx you” was a shadow of the true magic. By the way, what you refer to as a “Golden T-Square”, I call a “Golden Triangle.” And when there’s 4 adjacent points on the Grand Quintile (Joan d’Arc), I refer to this as a “Golden Bowl” (Robert Bly.” Anyway, I just wanted to connect with a fellow quintilian. Cheers! ~Rick Levine.
HERE is the article they are talking about by Chirotic:

https://chirotic.com/2008/07/10/hitler-and-the-golden-yod/

Last edited:

leomoon

I mentioned Jamie's site (Astrology King), but now can't find that I posted the link for it, so here it is. Note in the comment section, they talk about various Yods - He himself mentioned Marina's chart (who now is his ex wife), and that she has a Yod.,....

I use to read Marina, long before Jamie became as interested in the fixed stars as she and I were - and finally came around to studying them more in earnest - When they married, they lived in Australia, but now, they have separate blogs or sites they post on since they went their separate ways.

Anyone who knows Marina or reads her realizes that what he says is true as for her interests seem to match well with her Yod. From magic to the Black Moon Lilith and asteroids as well she works with all the time.

https://astrologyking.com/yod/

This is Marina whose Yod he writes about:
https://darkstarastrology.com/marina-macario/

It looks like he has one too in his Natal chart:
https://astrologyking.com/jamie-partridge/

That's quite a coincidence!

Last edited:

leomoon

I'm finding that there is a LOT on the internet now, that speaks of the differences between the Golden Yod and the Regular Yod:

Here is an interesting article, full of charts based on harmonics:

https://astrobuss.wordpress.com/category/configurations/quintile-or-golden-yod/

A Quintile Yod (orange lines) is a planet (or a significant point – the North Node isn’t a planet per se) at the far midpoint between two planets Quintile to one another, or one fifth of the way round the circle from one another. The Quintile is about learning and teaching, so a Quintile Yod represents a “Learning Opportunity,” and unfortunately carries some of the Challenging connotation of that term.

A Septile Yod (light green lines) is a planet or other hot spot at the far midpoint between two planets that are Septile to one another, or one seventh of the way round the Zodiac. The Septile is about Timing the Use of Power, so a Septile Yod represents a graduate seminar in the subject. We don’t usually think in terms of Timing when we think about Power, but it’s critical. In Physics it’s Resonance – the way vibrations reinforce or cancel one another. In Pedagogy it’s the Teachable Moment, when what you have to say can actually be heard.

Quintile because the planets are separated by one fifth (and two fifths) of the Zodiac. The Quintile Family (Fifth Harmonic) is about Learning and Teaching. The curriculum here comprises Coming into Awareness (Mercury), Soul (Uranus), and Expanding our Consciousness into Respect for All Things (Hopi-Hera – Hera is the Greek equivalent of Juno)

In Astro-Manda's blog,(tropical natal chart) we see the young woman (then a student) named Malala - (who rec'd the Nobel Peace Prize) for her heroics. She stood up to the Taliban, who shot her and critically injured.
Malala has Sun, Jupiter and North Node forming a Yod with Jupiter at the apex = suggesting she will have fame (fated fame) and be protected (via Jupiter) as her Sun is at the Apex of this Yod.

Solar Arc Uranus & Pluto seem to have been the triggers for the shooting! (see chart)

Jupiter and Sun, a combo that usually bestows success and certain kind of protection

Here is the natal chart for James Foley, a photojournalist in Syria, who was there personally, trying to help the citizens. - He was assassinated by ISIS terrorists -

James (a Catholic School - & college grad), was born with an unusual 3 YODS:

http://www.astromanda.com/james-foley-astrology-karmic-sacrifice/

Last edited: