Are these orbs too wide?

paxton

Banned
Sun Conjunction AS Orb 8°51'
Sun Sextile Jupiter Orb 5°46'

If these aspects do exist, would the orbs' wideness make them weaker?
Also, can a Leo sun be conjunct with a Cancer ascendant? (since the signs are different)

Lin

The second one's a definite yes.
the first one...sun conj. an asc. in a different sign.....I would have to study the rest of the chart to see if I would consider it 'conjunct.'

Also, the Moon, (with the asc. in Cancer) would have to be considered in any decision about the Sun's conjuction.
But if you had to have a yes or no, I'd have to say no in this particular case.
If it were 5 degrees instead of almost 9, I'd say yes.
LIN

JayM

One site says that the max orb to use for major aspect to sun, moon, or mercury is 12 degrees.

dr. farr

Orbs vary widely according to different astrological approaches: Traditionalist astrology uses wide (and very wide) orbs, Modernist astrology tends to use much more restircted orbs.
In my opinion tight orbs are more clear to work with: 5 degrees for all except conjunctions involving Sun or Moon, where 6 degrees (sometimes 7) would be useful; however, we also have aspect by sign (rather than degree based) however, I think that aspect by sign is of a more diffuse influence than degree-aspect, and that aspect by sign is useful only as a secondary evaluation, the primary aspectual evaluation being aspects by degree.

Lin

I'm not a fan of strict rules for orbs except for inconjuncts, semi-sextiles, semi-squares, quintiles, etc. which only get 2 to 2 1/2 degrees....and even those can be expanded if another planet is conjunct it at one degree more.
So, again, one must look at the whole picture.

When you have more experience you won't have that particular problem. The aspect will either be valid for that person or not.
LIN

MaeMae

Banned
The second one's a definite yes.
the first one...sun conj. an asc. in a different sign.....I would have to study the rest of the chart to see if I would consider it 'conjunct.'

Also, the Moon, (with the asc. in Cancer) would have to be considered in any decision about the Sun's conjuction.
But if you had to have a yes or no, I'd have to say no in this particular case.
If it were 5 degrees instead of almost 9, I'd say yes.
LIN

i look at the strength/relation of planets aspected.
if you have sun conj. Asc by 9' and planets aspecting both sun and asc from other points, the 8' becomes a fortifier of the two.
sextiles are weak but for being saving graces to other harsh aspects to sextiled planets. energy and nature of sextile becomes helper.

Claire19

i look at the strength/relation of planets aspected.
if you have sun conj. Asc by 9' and planets aspecting both sun and asc from other points, the 8' becomes a fortifier of the two.
sextiles are weak but for being saving graces to other harsh aspects to sextiled planets. energy and nature of sextile becomes helper.
Do you mean 9 minutes or 9 degrees?? You have the minute symbol written? If so, it is very tight and strong.

Claire19

One site says that the max orb to use for major aspect to sun, moon, or mercury is 12 degrees.
I would never use more than 8 degrees even with the Sun and Moon.
12 degrees is way too wide and this is my long experience talking and with my own chart.

dhundhun

If these aspects do exist, would the orbs' wideness make them weaker?
Also, can a Leo sun be conjunct with a Cancer ascendant? (since the signs are different)

Looking at your chart, Sun is in different sign. So it is going to be out of ORB, because already distance is too much.

Looking at your chart, they are in ORB.

Lin

I don't believe sextiles are weak. In fact, if there are more than a couple, and spanning several houses, it's the chart of a person with many opportunities throughout their life. this doesn't promise happiness, of course, but it does promise opportunity.
LIN

MaeMae

Banned
sextiles are like easy traffic on the freeway and getting to work on time. it's nice to catch a break and leaves us feeling content.
oppotunities?
perhaps the sextile provides opportunities BECAUSE it is a "content" aspect - we are not scrounging in those areas, therefore our eyes are more relaxed and more open.
walking down the street, not worried about money, and you find a $20.00 bill. you don't need it, but you appreciate it nonetheless.