Would Mercury in the 8th house be a good placement for a psychologist?

ChildOfVenus

Just wondering if having this placement would be good for working as a psychologist?

mdinaz

I think the house placement matters far less than what sign it is in and how well it is aspected. A psychologist needs to be able speak as well as they listen, be discerning and intuitive, and be able to relate to their patients in different ways. A well-signed-aspected Mercury in any house would do. Good Sun placement, as well as Juno.

ChildOfVenus

I think the house placement matters far less than what sign it is in and how well it is aspected. A psychologist needs to be able speak as well as they listen, be discerning and intuitive, and be able to relate to their patients in different ways. A well-signed-aspected Mercury in any house would do. Good Sun placement, as well as Juno.

My Mercury is in Aries I also have Sun trine Neptune and Uranus and my Sun is in the 9th house.

ChildOfVenus,
Mercury square Neptune, conjunct Jupiter is one of the typical aspect configuration of a psychologist, but you also need to consider Moon, III, VII and XII. Would you care to share your chart (Koch) or give us your birth time and place?

ChildOfVenus

ChildOfVenus,
Mercury square Neptune, conjunct Jupiter is one of the typical aspect configuration of a psychologist, but you also need to consider Moon, III, VII and XII. Would you care to share your chart (Koch) or give us your birth time and place?

21bov2h.png

aquarius7000

Just wondering if having this placement would be good for working as a psychologist?
If and only if it doesn't rule the first house, and if it rules the 10th.

FIrst house ruler in the 8th means that the health might be compromised often. 10th house (career) ruler in the 8th could mean that the person will work in areas that most run away from. Sometimes, 10th ruler in the 8th can mean that the career doesn't take off or causes one to incur heavy debts. For instance, people that start their own business. THis is especially true if the 2nd house lord is also not strong and in the 8th. For sure the 10th house ruler has to be dignified if it is in the 8th.

Also, 8th house ruler in the 10th could mean that 8th house matters will be combined or involved in the work area. I would rather that the 8th house ruler is in the 10th than the other way round.

aquarius7000

LOL, I just saw you have posted the chart. I need to scroll down the thread before launching off.

However, I just wrote above that the 10th house ruler has to be dignified if in the 8th. Your chart shows that Venus rules the 10th and is placed in Pisces, in the 8th. In Pisces, Venus is not dignified, but exalted, which is even better. You would make an excellent counsellor and also have the knack of handling others' money.

ChildOfVenus

LOL, I just saw you have posted the chart. I need to scroll down the thread before launching off.

However, I just wrote above that the 10th house ruler has to be dignified if in the 8th. Your chart shows that Venus rules the 10th and is placed in Pisces, in the 8th. In Pisces, Venus is not dignified, but exalted, which is even better. You would make an excellent counsellor and also have the knack of handling others' money.

I wonder what kind of counselor though there are different types of counselors I seem to attract or be attracted to strange or weird people lol.

katydid

The Mercury conjunct to Jupiter and square to Neptune might attract clients with substance abuse or alcohol issues. I am not sure if that would be a good way fore to go however.

You also have those nice trines/sextiles to Mars and to Uranus/Neptune. So maybe being more of a 'life coach' kind of a counselor--working with people who want to stay on track, might be more beneficial for your own mental health?

Unless maybe you have sone of your own drug/alcohol issues from the past and you want to help others overcome in the future?

aquarius7000

I wonder what kind of counselor though there are different types of counselors I seem to attract or be attracted to strange or weird people lol.
You have Mars in the 10th house of career and Mercury in the 8th house. Mars is in Gem and Merc. in Aries. That means that both the planets are mutually dignified. You also have the 10th house ruler in the 8th. You could do career counseling, especially since you have the Sun in the 9th house, which means that either you are very education and learning oriented, and/or very travel/overseas oriented.

You also have Taurus' ruler, Venus, in the 8th, so you could also do financial counselling.

Do you see yourself doing either of these?

Another thing, a little morbid though, with so many planets in the 8th, you could even counsel people that are grieving.

ChildOfVenus

The Mercury conjunct to Jupiter and square to Neptune might attract clients with substance abuse or alcohol issues. I am not sure if that would be a good way fore to go however.

You also have those nice trines/sextiles to Mars and to Uranus/Neptune. So maybe being more of a 'life coach' kind of a counselor--working with people who want to stay on track, might be more beneficial for your own mental health?

Unless maybe you have sone of your own drug/alcohol issues from the past and you want to help others overcome in the future?

I think most people prefer to work with counselors who have suffered from some kind of drug or alcohol abuse issues themselves. I have never actually been diagnosed with having any issues by a doctor. But there have been times in the past when I would drink alcohol or take over the counter drugs/prescription drugs. Whenever I would start to feel really depressed. But I wonder if I would do good at counseling people who suffer from illnesses like Schizophrenia (this is something that both of my ex's were diagnosed with). Bipolar, Autism etc.

ChildOfVenus

You have Mars in the 10th house of career and Mercury in the 8th house. Mars is in Gem and Merc. in Aries. That means that both the planets are mutually dignified. You also have the 10th house ruler in the 8th. You could do career counseling, especially since you have the Sun in the 9th house, which means that either you are very education and learning oriented, and/or very travel/overseas oriented.

You also have Taurus' ruler, Venus, in the 8th, so you could also do financial counselling.

Do you see yourself doing either of these?

Another thing, a little morbid though, with so many planets in the 8th, you could even counsel people that are grieving.

For some reason I feel like I would do well counselling people with mental issues. I guess because I know and associate myself with people who have them. Both of my ex's were diagnosed with Schizophrenia.

ChildOfVenus,

You do have a psychologist/mental health counselor make up, all the professional aspects are there, meaning both the abilities and the drive, more so for a clinical psychologist. Your chart supports any type of mental health areas, including schizophrenia and substance abuse. If I am not mistaken, your BML (Lilith in astro.com) should be located about 16 degrees Cancer? If so, BML makes it even better, aspecting your Mercury.
But I see 2 potential issues in your chart. First, it might not be easy for you to receive social reward and recognition (not enough connections between IX-X). This disposition is not related to psychology only, it’s more of your general career obstacle, no matter what you choose to do. Normally it does not bother most people that much but, as your Chiron is in X in opposition to Saturn in IV, for you it can signify an overall dissatisfaction with the social recognition (or perceived lack of thereof) and an annoying feeling that something (like your family matters) is constantly holding you back from acting on your highest aspirations.

Second, though you have a strong VII and must be very interested in consulting (and I bet, doing a lot of it already, for free), it may require a lot of extra effort on your part to translate these abilities into the actual professional skills and become a PAID counselor in one-on-one consulting setting (negative VII-II, tense III-VII). So if you choose this career path I would encourage you to consider working within in a clinic or another organization instead of offering your services in an open market.

Best wishes,

ChildOfVenus

ChildOfVenus,

You do have a psychologist/mental health counselor make up, all the professional aspects are there, meaning both the abilities and the drive, more so for a clinical psychologist. Your chart supports any type of mental health areas, including schizophrenia and substance abuse. If I am not mistaken, your BML (Lilith in astro.com) should be located about 16 degrees Cancer? If so, BML makes it even better, aspecting your Mercury.
But I see 2 potential issues in your chart. First, it might not be easy for you to receive social reward and recognition (not enough connections between IX-X). This disposition is not related to psychology only, it’s more of your general career obstacle, no matter what you choose to do. Normally it does not bother most people that much but, as your Chiron is in X in opposition to Saturn in IV, for you it can signify an overall dissatisfaction with the social recognition (or perceived lack of thereof) and an annoying feeling that something (like your family matters) is constantly holding you back from acting on your highest aspirations.

Second, though you have a strong VII and must be very interested in consulting (and I bet, doing a lot of it already, for free), it may require a lot of extra effort on your part to translate these abilities into the actual professional skills and become a PAID counselor in one-on-one consulting setting (negative VII-II, tense III-VII). So if you choose this career path I would encourage you to consider working within in a clinic or another organization instead of offering your services in an open market.

Best wishes,

I checked and my Black Moon Lilith is in 18 degree Cancer. When I first told my family I wanted to be a psychologist they told me they didn't think it was a good idea. Because I would be working with people who have mental issues. But a lot of my friends have mental issues I've noticed that they like talking to me I have no idea why though lol. I didn't know there were different organizations. You stated that it may require a lot of extra effort on my part. Are you saying that I might have difficulty completing the requirements in order to become a psychologist?

18 degree Cancer is still within the orb, so that will work.

There are a lot of different settings for mental health counselors, like clinics, mental health/addictions care centers, big corporations that provide MHS to the employees as a part of their benefit package, assisted senior living centers, resorts etc., just go ahead and check the employment options before you invest into professional training.
I don’t think you’ll have any difficulties in your study or certifications, your III-IX and III-X are fine so there should not be a problem. However, you may face obstacles while actually practicing what you’ve learned in one-on-one setting. In your chart, there are numerous negative connections VII-II and mixed VII-III, meaning that you have the inborn potential and drive to do the consulting, but your challenge would be to polish the skills:
- mixed VII-III – sometimes you may misunderstand/ misinterpret what your clients are trying to say to you, or openly express your disagreement etc., and thus your consultations can result in 50/50, hit or miss.

- negative VII-II – on the bright side, you are not afraid to deal with complicated and hard issues in consulting, plus with Mercury in VIII and mixed III-VIII you should actually like challenging communications. But not so easy to deliver any tangible results, a lot of efforts required to develop the talent of II.
- Another important point of negative VII-II, private consulting will hardly bring you substantial income; there is a risk of getting underpaid or having all kinds of payment disputes with clients, or even losing your own money through them, up to the point where you may find yourself spending money ON them instead. II is also the house of energy, so you may be spending too much of your energy on a client and feel exhausted at the end.

- Not enough II-III – not easy to actually offer and sell your consulting services in the open market. You have enough II-VIII so technically you can succeed being self-employed, but may be not necessarily through consulting.

- On the other hand, your II-X are all positive, that’s why you’ll be better off working for a company and getting your salary through them.

You do have what it takes to become a psychologist/counselor, but it won’t be too easy. Yet your VII-IX look good, so if you are willing to overcome the difficulties and actively learn from your mistakes, you can develop a pretty sharp skills set that will allow you to solve the problems that most of your co-workers can’t solve. Then your consulting experience is gonna be genuinely helpful, encouraging and mind-expanding (IX) to you and the others.

Best wishes,

ChildOfVenus

Thanks for the input a lot of people say it takes a lot of schooling to become a Psychologist or Counseler. So being in my early 30's at my age it might be too late