how accurate are divination methods for telling the future?

retinoid

In your experience how accurate has tarot, horary astrology, i ching, scrying, runes etc. been in foretelling the future correctly? In my experience they seem to be better than 50% but also not something to totally rely on. Better in gaining 'perspective'. Indeed chinese priests never even used i-ching because they said the future cannot be foretold....what about you?

dr. farr

Future CANNOT be foretold (except by prophets of the UNITY)!!
However, Cosmic trends can be determined, and projections based upon those trends can often indicate "what is likely" to happen (just as meteorological factors can be determined and a weather forecast projected from careful consideration of that data)

I have found Tarot (my approach to it) most highly reliabe and accurate in predicting likely outcomes (but completely hit and miss regarding time estimates-I have abandoned time-estimates using Tarot, decades ago) Astrological predictive methods I have found close to Tarot divinatory reliability, except astrologically the time-frame estimates/approximations have been much more accurate, and I make use of such time-frame estimates in astrological predictive endeavors.

I don't consider any mantic divinatory or astrological predictive method of reliable accuracy if below 66% correct predictions, over at least several dozen samples; for example, in a current test of the Magic 8 Ball astro-divination technique here on AW, the number is approaching 100 such tests and the 8 Ball method is still holding at 81% accuracy (correct yes or no answers) level.

retinoid

Future CANNOT be foretold (except by prophets of the UNITY)!!
However, Cosmic trends can be determined, and projections based upon those trends can often indicate "what is likely" to happen (just as meteorological factors can be determined and a weather forecast projected from careful consideration of that data)

I have found Tarot (my approach to it) most highly reliabe and accurate in predicting likely outcomes (but completely hit and miss regarding time estimates-I have abandoned time-estimates using Tarot, decades ago) Astrological predictive methods I have found close to Tarot divinatory reliability, except astrologically the time-frame estimates/approximations have been much more accurate, and I make use of such time-frame estimates in astrological predictive endeavors.

I don't consider any mantic divinatory or astrological predictive method of reliable accuracy if below 66% correct predictions, over at least several dozen samples; for example, in a current test of the Magic 8 Ball astro-divination technique here on AW, the number is approaching 100 such tests and the 8 Ball method is still holding at 81% accuracy (correct yes or no answers) level.

Who are the prophets of the unity? And can you explain your approach to the tarot?

dr. farr

"Prophets of the Unity" = the great adepts, prophets, expositors, and founders of the various religious and mystic traditions of the world.

Anachiel

In your experience how accurate has tarot, horary astrology, i ching, scrying, runes etc. been in foretelling the future correctly? In my experience they seem to be better than 50% but also not something to totally rely on. Better in gaining 'perspective'. Indeed chinese priests never even used i-ching because they said the future cannot be foretold....what about you?

Divination is a standardized process, method or ritual specifically used to tell the will of the divine. It has nothing to with the future or forecasting.
People throughout history used divination to understand the world around them and the events that were happening. It was not used to predict the future but, rather to harmonize one with the natural or "divine" flow. People once believed that if they aligned themselves with great or "divine" powers, that their lives would move more harmoniously and smoothly. The future was not an issue because that was already taken care of and there was nothing to be concerned with if one was in the right "flow" of natural forces or "divine will".

Now, as far as the future being foretold, this happens all the time. Neptune was discovered based on a prediction. Einstein's theory of Relativity was also considered a joke because he was essentially was predicting something that had no scientific (at that time) basis but was later proven in the 1919 eclipse of the Sun. LOTS of things are foretold about the future that are true and YES the future can be foretold, obviously.

Now, corporations, for example, use forecasting, science used probablility, what is not scientifically proven is called conjecture and most people confuse these methods with prophecy which, is an entirely different matter.

Prophesy is actually what you are asking about: omens, stars, i-ching, tarot, etc are methods of prophesy used in an attempt to predict the future. Now, these are considered occult methods, with little to no scientific basis and therefore, at best, considered pseudo-science. This is unlike forecasting which is considered scientific because it is based on accepted scientific methods and means. The point for both is the same....to foretell something. Science does not use statistics to prove the validity of occult means because the very basis of how the occult means (i.e. astrology, tarot, sticks, rocks, whatever) function is unproved.

Forecasting such as weather, economics, etc are acceptable and proven statistically because the basis for the method is proven and scientific.

Get it??

So, for science to say, "Oh yes, astrology has a whatever percent of accuracy" will not happen because science will not accept or prove the basis for what is considered occult. Also, there is no statistical model to prove what is considered occult. And, all attempts (like the Gauquelins) to statistically prove what is considered occult is regarded with skepticism and doubt and later "proved" false anyway, because the basis is accepted as already false (i.e. occult).

Quantum physics is making progress in these areas but, we are still in the Dark Ages when it comes to proving something of occult means. anyway....I digress...

In short, YES, the future can absolutly be predicted and it is not mysterious nor does it have anything to do with Fate vs Freewill anymore than the Sun rising tomorrow has anything to do with it. It just simply can be done and has been done, both scientifically and un-scientifically for many, many years if not eons.

Last edited:

virgo18

With Tarot, I had two experiences when I went for readings: Sometimes nothing comes true. And sometimes few things come true but very lightly (not as fatalistic) as the tarot reader tell me.

I had tried free online tarot, and it is the same. It looks it only describes the present I am living, and in few occasions described the future but near one, in terms of days and aslo very lightly.

In my experience. Perhaps natal astrology (and transits) may be more accurate to foretell future in a "general way" as Dr. Farr said, they are trends. If Jupiter or the Sun are transiting your 6th house, you can get a job more easily if you search for it, rather than someone call you to offer you job. But nothing will happen if you stay in home watching TV all day long and waiting.

I found horary very tricky in the fact that you have to make the chart exactly when the question comes to your mind. If you ask your self a question at 12:00am but you make the chart at 1:00pm of the next day, using the hour it was when you made the chart... then I won't find it reliable. You must right down the hour you make the question and then make a chart with that info (the hour when you made your question).
In my experience with horary I found that sometimes YES, the answer is completely true. Some cases NO the answer is wrong, and nothing comes true.

I-ching is very symbolic, you can use it for advice. But it won't foretell anything. So as Tarot.

In resume: Future can be foretell but it can't be completely or exactly foretell

Last edited:

retinoid

In short, YES, the future can absolutly be predicted and it is not mysterious nor does it have anything to do with Fate vs Freewill anymore than the Sun rising tomorrow has anything to do with it. It just simply can be done and has been done, both scientifically and un-scientifically for many, many years if not eons.

Edgar Cayce said that the future can change too. Quantum Physics postulates that an action literally creates countless 'universes' with different effects or different vibrations. So theoretically the future is purely based on the present. Which can be changed or at least our reaction to it can be changed. Perhaps tarot helps gain perspective of situations and picks up on likely possibilities. But truly predicting the future is perhaps impossible.

Anachiel

Edgar Cayce said that the future can change too. Quantum Physics postulates that an action literally creates countless 'universes' with different effects or different vibrations. So theoretically the future is purely based on the present. Which can be changed or at least our reaction to it can be changed. Perhaps tarot helps gain perspective of situations and picks up on likely possibilities. But truly predicting the future is perhaps impossible.

Then, you have your answer, for you. In light of that, it would be wise, for you, that no prediction should ever be taken to heart ;)

Last edited:

Anachiel

Yes perhaps nobody knows on earth ***** to have no 100% certain answers to such important questions.

True, but certainty is not what it's all about. That would imply you have no measure of control over your life. So, certainty is not what oracles and divination are always about. Rather, it is clarity. The clarity that leads you to the truth that resides in you that is your true guide.

At least, that is how I see it.

I do think that oracles and divination and such are good tools to use to describe things that are beyond our normal senses, though. That is why some things can be determined through them (like lost items and such things that exist in the present). Some future things can be foretold as well for example; the Titanic sinking, and other unpleasantness usually. However, regardless of that predetermined "fate", you don't have to board the ship.

retinoid

True, but certainty is not what it's all about. That would imply you have no measure of control over your life. So, certainty is not what oracles and divination are always about. Rather, it is clarity. The clarity that leads you to the truth that resides in you that is your true guide.

At least, that is how I see it.

I do think that oracles and divination and such are good tools to use to describe things that are beyond our normal senses, though. That is why some things can be determined through them (like lost items and such things that exist in the present). Some future things can be foretold as well for example; the Titanic sinking, and other unpleasantness usually. However, regardless of that predetermined "fate", you don't have to board the ship.

Yeah then death comes after you in final destination style. You're ****** either way. As my grandma always says, Life's a B*tch!

marwan38

Tarot is a hit and miss thing. It really depends on your mind set at that moment. For example when I'm doing a reading and some cards fall out of my hand, I would take that as a sign for "Not right now" and stop the reading. At other times when I feel dipped in spiritual waters, I get some extremely useful insights. I've had many times where I would burst into laughter and shock because of how concrete the reading is. Really depends on how much are you connected to your higher self, or subconscious, whatever you believe in (It all comes down to the same thing). And i wouldn't use the tarot for the future; only for present insights and near-future regarding events that have already been initiated.

Tarot is very accurate, only if read by an extremely experienced user.

FarEastUranus

Personally, I've found the pendulum extremely helpful, not just in "predictions" per se (which I do, even for searching objects that "I" lost), but also in getting you aligned with your decisions, if that makes any sense.

It taps into your intuition in a way that bypasses thought. Sometimes, your subconscious has a muscle memory of where you placed a certain object, or your 6th sense tells you where is the cat, and your pendulum can easily tune into that.

That's the explanation I've given myself anyway.

Astrology and Tarot are more for the understanding of symbols, but not so good at prediction. Transits create a certain energy field, but there's no reliable way of knowing what type of impact it creates in a given person's life, in my experience.

retinoid

Personally, I've found the pendulum extremely helpful, not just in "predictions" per se (which I do, even for searching objects that "I" lost), but also in getting you aligned with your decisions, if that makes any sense.

It taps into your intuition in a way that bypasses thought. Sometimes, your subconscious has a muscle memory of where you placed a certain object, or your 6th sense tells you where is the cat, and your pendulum can easily tune into that.

That's the explanation I've given myself anyway.

Astrology and Tarot are more for the understanding of symbols, but not so good at prediction. Transits create a certain energy field, but there's no reliable way of knowing what type of impact it creates in a given person's life, in my experience.

See and I agree about astrology and tarot giving perspective but not necessarily giving a clear direction. I find the pendulum extremely inaccurate and the movement can be attributed most likely to the ideomotor effect.

FarEastUranus

See and I agree about astrology and tarot giving perspective but not necessarily giving a clear direction. I find the pendulum extremely inaccurate and the movement can be attributed most likely to the ideomotor effect.

Perhaps you would need to learn how to do it properly? I studied with a Swiss medium, and she taught also Tarot and astrology, as far as I know, but I immediately knew that the pendulum was for me. I would hide something in the room and she would be able to find it with her "high-tech" pendulum, which looked like a outer space wiry object and costed something like 300 euros. She also taught me how to do an apartment search with the map of a city - super handy and you can apply this to anything! I use a pendulum that I picked out in Rishikesh using her method (you have to ask the pendulum if it's willing to work with you, if it's apropriate for you, etc, and choose accordingly). Also, she taught me to clean the energy of each pendulum, as well as programming the pendulum to speak a precise language. She always emphasized that if the pendulum and the user cannot use a precise, unequivocal language that both understand, then it undermines the purpose of the pendulum, as it will just be guesswork. Also there are myriad answers that the pendulum can be programmed to give, such as "not enough information (as in some data are missing for a final deliberation)", or "cannot answer (because for some reason, the pendulum does not wish to apply, for example, for lottery number, or the death time of a loved one).

Also, you can ask the pendulum the same questions, but not exactly in the same language. For example, you can say, "Is A in love with B?" And once you have an answer, you should proceed, to be sure, "Is A able to express that love to B." If yes, then you will ask, "Will A express his love to B." If you really want to go on, you can ask, "Will B and A end up together." if yes, but you feel unsure, you may ask, "Will A and B end up together in a long-term romantic relationship?" Notice that they are totally different questions, and the answer may not be the same, so the art is to pay attention to the subtlety of each question and always strive for more precision. Also, there should be no doubt in the person's mind what the question entails and what each of the movement of the pendulum entails. This is why some books say that you must be detached from the situation. For me, it is sufficient to understand the consequence of each of your questions, even if it's very personal, as long as the person is calm, the result will be reliable.

I'm really sorry that you haven't made it work for you, because it's about the single most useful and reliable tool in my experience. Then again, I think having a master to show you the way gives you an enormous amount of confidence, and any doubt was cast aside :lol:

Queen of Wands

This makes sense to me. To a certain extent we can all predict the future, though some of us are better at it than others (and I'm not talking about psychics), and sometimes being too close to the situation obscures the view. When Facebook made its IPO all of us -- hopefully, though maybe not the day traders -- kept our wallets tightly shut because we knew its profits had already peaked. When our friend calls us and tells us that she's just hooked back up with the boyfriend who's jerked her around for the past year and how happy she is that he's changed and totally loves her without reservation now, we know that it's not going to end as happily as she wants to believe.

When the path should be clear, but our conscious minds aren't seeing it clearly for whatever reason (perhaps it is coloured by our own desires), is when I've found divination methods to "work." The girlfriend in the described situation would probably find a good session with the cards pretty illuminating.

FarEastUranus

This makes sense to me. To a certain extent we can all predict the future, though some of us are better at it than others (and I'm not talking about psychics), and sometimes being too close to the situation obscures the view. When Facebook made its IPO all of us -- hopefully, though maybe not the day traders -- kept our wallets tightly shut because we knew its profits had already peaked. When our friend calls us and tells us that she's just hooked back up with the boyfriend who's jerked her around for the past year and how happy she is that he's changed and totally loves her without reservation now, we know that it's not going to end as happily as she wants to believe.

When the path should be clear, but our conscious minds aren't seeing it clearly for whatever reason (perhaps it is coloured by our own desires), is when I've found divination methods to "work." The girlfriend in the described situation would probably find a good session with the cards pretty illuminating.

I agree, but just for clarifications, the pendulum cannot predict the future, according to the medium who taught me. There are questions that the pendulum does not allow us to ask (death, result of gambling, and other things that I can't remember for the moment). However, if she is given a strong premonition about the future, that means that this information was given for the benefit of all parties involved.

One example she gave me was that upon shaking an old man's hand, she got a message that he was not going to live past Christmas. She helped the wife to prepare for eventual death, and most of all, the old man, because no one else in the family accepted that he would die, but he was more than ready to go. So it was important for her to mediate and help the family understand that it really was the time. She explains that otherwise, she does not participate in fortune telling, but tries to be in the role of the counselor. Because there is free will in thinking the kind of thoughts that you think, and reaping the fruits of those thoughts.

Hope that is clear. If I find her coursework, I will try to post more here.