Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > General Astrology > Natal Astrology

Natal Astrology A place to discuss yours and others' birth charts (after you post your own birth chart interpretation). Includes psychological and relocation astrology, houses, aspects, and planetary dignity and debility.

Unread 04-24-2007, 09:15 PM

Re: How do you work out how strong a planet is?

Hi again Yoi.

Quote:
However I think you got some details wrong. Jupiter is in Virgo so is in detriment not peregrine and Mars is conjunct the N. Node not the S. Node.
Yes! Right you are. Next time I'll try not to concentrate on television at the same time as exploring a chart. So Jupiter is definately weakest then. Oh and yes, it's the North Node. I can't believe I was so sloppy, but now I'm paying attention.

Anyway, you got the idea of what I was saying.

Quote:
Essential dignity and accidental dignity seem to be two very different things
Well, they are.

The amount of dignity a planet has, show the amount of power it has to act, essential dignity is it's latent inner strength, accidental dignity is power that is brought about by circumstance.

For example, a man might be a gifted boxer (lot's of essential dignity), but if you put him in a straight-jacket (accidental dignity) he isn't going to be able to do anything with his strength to win the fight, Mars in Aries in the twelfth for example.

A man might be dying of thirst crawling through a desert (low essential dignity), but he uses every last strain of effort that he can possibly muster in order to crawl toward the mirage of an oasis (strong accidental dignity). So although the man is essentially very weak, and doesn't have a lot of strength to do much with, he pushes whatever strength he does have for all he is worth, such as Venus in Aries in the first perhaps, our boxer on the other hand, has plenty of might, but he is unable to do anything with it.

Essential dignity is latent, accidental dignity is circumstantial.

With no.1, I honestly don't understand what you mean, or what it is that you are expressing.

Quote:
Definitions!
I don't know about Kurios, you'll have to ask Bob.

'Geniture', means 'birth', so the 'Lord of Geniture' is the lord of our birth, our life, our horoscope. It is the strength that we lead with in life, or at least, it ought to be, it is the essence through which we may escape our fate and attain our destiny, and the way to do this is described by the Lord of the Geniture.

Unread 05-01-2007, 06:15 AM

Send a message via AIM to eonechoes

Wow thanks for this link and info Draco! I assumed Venus or Saturn would be my ruling planet based on being exalted and at home, respectively, but in fact by this it's very much my Moon. Which in reality makes sense. Very enlightening.

My chart.
Unread 06-25-2007, 12:00 AM

Thank you, Draco, for providing some wonderful information on this thread! I'm still trying to wrap my mind around planetary dignity, especially those concerning triplicity, terms, and faces.

Since I'm a morning baby, I'm guessing I shoud look at the diurnal triplicity rulers then? From the Skyscript tutorial, I figured out that my Venus in Libra is in its domicile and Saturn in Libra is exalted. But then at the minor dignities is where I get confused and might make mistakes. Looking at Ptolemy's chart, Saturn is in its triplicity, correct? After that, I can't see any planets in triplicity in my chart. My Jupiter has some dignity, being in its term. My Moon is in its face.

Now for the accidental dignities, I have Mercury, Jupiter, Venus, and Pluto in the first, and Mars in the 10th House. It's just a matter of sorting out which one has both the combined essential and accidental dignities to be the Lord of Geniture, right? So I'm guessing it's Venus...correct me if I'm wrong.

Could someone please check to see if I'm doing this correctly? Here is my chart:

Last edited by Samandra81; 06-25-2007 at 12:02 AM.

Tags
planet, strong, work