Terms

junoisuppose

Hello,
I'm wondering if anyone can help me. I have a question about terms of planets.
From time to time I see charts posted on this forum like this one, I'm not sure which software it is, which show the terms and faces of planets in addition to the signs. However the terms do not entirely correlate to the terms used by Ptolemy. Where do these alternative terms come from & which system is the best to use in your opinion?

Attachments

• 3446ql4.jpg
    3446ql4.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 24
  • dignities2.gif
    dignities2.gif
    53.9 KB · Views: 23

JUPITERASC

Hello,
I'm wondering if anyone can help me. I have a question about terms of planets.
From time to time I see charts posted on this forum like this one, I'm not sure which software it is, which show the terms and faces of planets in addition to the signs. However the terms do not entirely correlate to the terms used by Ptolemy. Where do these alternative terms come from & which system is the best to use in your opinion?
WHICH Ptolemaic confines? http://skyscript.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7029 :smile:
I have (largely) replaced the various (half dozen) lists of terms by the monomoiria of the ancients, which was and remains the same.
HOWEVER,

...under various circumstances IN HORARY
OR
KATARCHIC (events) ONLY, I sometimes use terms:

no question in my mind, the EGYPTIAN TERMS are the ones to use
(various Traditionalists will want to shoot me for this,
but I say again, if you want reliable terms use the Egyptian)

I myself now rarely use the terms (aka "bounds"),
having become much more enamored of the ancient planetary degree "rulerships" called "monomoiria",
which system of allocation to degrees also seems to make more sense to me,
than the variable allocation of degree-affinities found in the numerous "term" systems
(Chaldean, Ptolemaic, neo-Ptolemaic of Lilly, Hindu, Egyptian, and several others as well)
However, I must say that of all the numerous systems of terms, the one I did prefer
(before learning of the monomoiria)
was the Egyptian system, followed by Valens, Maximus, Firmicus Maternus, Paulus Alexandrianus, and most of the pre-6th century Greco/Roman authors...

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
Hello Juno. I'm pretty sure Solar Fire and Oracle can produce those charts.

There are three different sets of terms, Chaldean, Egyptian, and Ptolemiac. Most practicing classical astrologers in the modern day use the Egyptian terms because their usage was the most widespread and they have been passed down through the centuries perfectly preserved (no mutations or mistakes in any texts that discussed them). This is the exact opposite case for the other two term systems. The Chaldean system was not used by any astrologer whose texts have been translated (at least not to my knowledge), and the Ptolemiac Terms have several different iterations with no one being completely sure which one is supposed to be the real one.

junoisuppose

Thank you guys. Very helpful & answered my question :smile:

I myself now rarely use the terms (aka "bounds"), having become much more enamored of the ancient planetary degree "rulerships" called "monomoiria", which system of allocation to degrees also seems to make more sense to me, than the variable allocation of degree-affinities found in the numerous "term" systems (Chaldean, Ptolemaic, neo-Ptolemaic of Lilly, Hindu, Egyptian, and several others as well)

I was using them for horary, and maybe for natal explanations.

I didn't know there were so many types!!! :surprised:

& thank you Jupiterasc for directing me to this thread http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?p=429936#post429936
:smile:

Larxene

Juno,

I usually use the bounds/confines/terms of the authors that I read. That way, there is less mixing up occuring. Sometimes that's not possible, for example, when combining Ptolemy's technique in "Quality of Action" and Maternus's version. I veer towards the Eqyptian terms when I have to combine contrasting approaches.

Morinus is my favourite software. Simple and concise. It does have some limitations though...

Btw, that Jesse Jackson person is a musician isn't he/she? There's that prominent combination in the chart. Also might have had domestic violence of some kind in the home.

tsmall

Premium Member
Btw, that Jesse Jackson person is a musician isn't he/she? There's that prominent combination in the chart. Also might have had domestic violence of some kind in the home.

Larxene, Jesse Jackson is a Baptist Minister and a very prominent Civil Rights Activist who marched with Martin Luther King, Jr....ran for President of the US a couple of times, but isn't a musician. Unless he can rock the hymnal from the pulpit. o_O

Larxene

Oh, oh well. Assuming his birth time is correct, that explains the Sun in the 10th sign in the 9th quadrant. Sometimes the MC doesn't work...