Mercury Stationary Direct in Natal Chart?

Cypocryphy

Dear Forum:

I was wondering whether anyone has information on the effect of a Mercury stationary direct in one's natal chart.

Thank you very much,
C.

[poster gave no astrological interpretation so moved to Greenhorns Lounge - Moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:

freedomlover

Cypocryphy said:
Dear Forum:

I was wondering whether anyone has information on the effect of a Mercury stationary direct in one's natal chart.

Thank you very much,
C.
I don't know a whole lot on the subject, but what little I do know - I will share with you.

I know that when a planet is stationing - particular on the exact day of stationing - it's energies and lessons are stronger than usual.

For instance, I know a guy who was born on the day his Mercury stationed direct in Cancer. He has had very strong issues/ lessons regarding Mercury in Cancer. He stuttered and talked with a lisp throughout his formative years - and was teased and rejected by others because of it. (Rejection is a very big Cancer thing - which causes them to tend to withdraw and go into their shell.) He also has major issues in communicating with his mother - would rather go into his shell than tell her how he really feels about the way she acts.

FL

Last edited:

katydid

Cypocryphy said:
Dear Forum:

Thank you very much,
C.

My husband has Mercury stationary retrograde. It is in Aries in his 12th and he is a professional writer. It is 'his life' in that it kind of absorbs him heart and soul. Our kids joke that he has a separate family, which are the characters he has created and given life to. A lot of his work has been in animated tv and film, so he does literally create another world and breathe life into it.

I think the stationary retrograde gives him the ability to put a stop freeze
on basic earth laws like gravity etc, so he can imagine the wild and crazy things that happen in his fanatasy animated realm.

[ his mercury opposes Neptune, squares moon/uranus and is conjunct jupiter]

AquariusT

In one's chart if Mercury is Rx when they are born, Transiting Rx of Mercury do not affect them, and they may purchase cars, sign contracts, etc, during that transit. :D

katydid

AquariusT said:
In one's chart if Mercury is Rx when they are born, Transiting Rx of Mercury do not affect them, and they may purchase cars, sign contracts, etc, during that transit. :D

I THINK THAT IS TRUE. My husband has a pattern of getting new jobs and signing contracts during retro Mercury. He has stationary retro mercury
in his natal chart so it seems like a natural thing for him.

Cypocryphy

freedomlover said:
I don't know a whole lot on the subject, but what little I do know - I will share with you.

Sounds good to me. *smile*

I know that when a planet is stationing - particular on the exact day of stationing - it's energies and lessons are stronger than usual.

OK. That makes sense. That's what I thought would happen, but the only information I could find was when a planet is retrograde, its power is weakened.

For instance, I know a guy who was born on the day his Mercury stationed direct in Cancer. He has had very strong issues/ lessons regarding Mercury in Cancer. He stuttered and talked with a lisp throughout his formative years - and was teased and rejected by others because of it. (Rejection is a very big Cancer thing - which causes them to tend to withdraw and go into their shell.) He also has major issues in communicating with his mother - would rather go into his shell than tell her how he really feels about the way she acts.

But this doesn't make sense to me. I would imagine a stationary Mercury in Cancer would make one able to communicate on a better level with his or her mother and would show one being able to express emotions in a much more expansive and accurate manner. Is it simply the filtering of Cancer, that it is a sign not favorable to Mercury?

Thank you for the wonderful response.
C.

Last edited:

Cypocryphy

katydid said:
My husband has Mercury stationary retrograde. It is in Aries in his 12th and he is a professional writer. It is 'his life' in that it kind of absorbs him heart and soul. Our kids joke that he has a separate family, which are the characters he has created and given life to. A lot of his work has been in animated tv and film, so he does literally create another world and breathe life into it.

Wow! That's really cool. What a wonderful expression of the planets influence. *smile*

I think the stationary retrograde gives him the ability to put a stop freeze
on basic earth laws like gravity etc, so he can imagine the wild and crazy things that happen in his fanatasy animated realm.

So you are saying this situation shows his ability to concentrate and focus?

I'm asking because I've been unimpressed with the definitions of Mercury in Taurus (mine being in the Seventh house) because of the constant assertions that someone with such an astrological situation is a dunce, so to speak, unlikely to be an intellectual power house in any field (other than maybe a field on a farm!). I cannot express how annoyed I am by these statements. I am convinced this understanding of Mercury in Taurus is fallacious--or is it? And this is where I become confused, trying to find a way to make it work, and I latched onto the possibility that somehow a stationary Mercury changes the situation entirely. *shrug* Do you know?

Thank you very much for replying. :D

All the best!
C.

Cypocryphy

AquariusT said:

Ha ha. Funny. Like some kind of astrological nepotism. :)

katydid

Cypocryphy said:
Wow! That's really cool. What a wonderful expression of the planets influence. *smile*

So you are saying this situation shows his ability to concentrate and focus?

I'm asking because I've been unimpressed with the definitions of Mercury in Taurus (mine being in the Seventh house) because of the constant assertions that someone with such an astrological situation is a dunce, so to speak, unlikely to be an intellectual power house in any field (other than maybe a field on a farm!). I cannot express how annoyed I am by these statements. I am convinced this understanding of Mercury in Taurus is fallacious--or is it? And this is where I become confused, trying to find a way to make it work, and I latched onto the possibility that somehow a stationary Mercury changes the situation entirely. *shrug* Do you know?

Thank you very much for replying. :D

All the best!
C.

I hear ya about the stereotyping of Mercury/Taurus as being slow or mentally plodding. That is not the case generally unless there are real afflictions to undermine the mercury's effectiveness.

Both my niece and my daughter have Mercury in Taurus, and they are both highly intelligent and quick witted . My niece, who has Mercury conjunct Saturn is working her way through graduate school ,and majoring in Art History. [ yes, Venus is in the triple conjunction in the second house.]

my teenager has Mercury conjunct Venus in Taurus in the 6th and it is heavily aspected. It is exactly opposed Pluto in Scorpio, and tight square to Saturn in Aquarius in the 3rd. From that t-square one might worry about her IQ. lol But thank her lucky stars she has an exact trine to Neptune conjunct Uranus in her second house, and it bestowed a kind of musical prodigy type thing upon her as a very young child. The way I see her Mercury in Taurus,
is kind of complex because of all of the outer planetary influences. The square to Saturn does indicate that she doesn't learn basic school lessons as readily as some do. She hates homework, but does it reluctantly. But she, as seen by her trine to Uranus/Neptune is very bright conceptually, and once she understands a concept like algebra or geometry, she can take it and run with it, and she never ever forgets it. But initially, she may get stuck, and feel like she cannot 'get' something. She had a brand new first year teacher in her first year of freshman algebra, and she dropped failed the class because she stubbornly swore she didnt get it and NEVER would. Her sophmore year we were lucky enough to get a veteran, popular teacher, who EASILY explained the concepts and the theorems to her, and she got A's in the class. SO I think sometimes Merc in Taurus is stubborn, or blocked or gets in a rut, but if given 'proper' instructions, they can get past said blocks.

One more 'note' about my girls Merc in taurus===she was accepted into the 'gifted and talented' program in middle school, but chose against our wishes to drop out of it in high school because " It was too much extra work." LOL
Now THAT is merc/taurus square Sat/Aquarius right there. :p

freedomlover

Cypocryphy said:
But this doesn't make sense to me. I would imagine a stationary Mercury in Cancer would make one able to communicate on a better level with his or her mother and would show one being able to express emotions in a much more expansive and accurate manner. Is it simply the filtering of Cancer, that it is a sign not favorable to Mercury?

Thank you for the wonderful response.
C.

Well, this is the way I see it - the planet doesn't "make" one able to do anything better. It represents the lesson for the individual. In this case, it was a strong focus of his chart to learn to "take the high road" with his Mercury in Cancer - to express it positively, instead of negatively.

In my opinion, Cancer is a very tough placement of Mercury to learn to use positively. For some reason, Mercury in Cancer's seem to be very open to other's influencing their mind negatively. In his case, it's extra hard, because it is in his 12th house. The aspects it makes are: sextiles his Mars/Pluto conjunction in Virgo, semisextiles his Venus in Gemini, and trines his Chiron(r) in Pisces. But, I've found sometimes the so-called "easy" aspects, can work as "feeder lines" for negativity, if the person is not consciously trying to raise their expression.

FL

Cypocryphy

katydid said:
Both my niece and my daughter have Mercury in Taurus, and they are both highly intelligent and quick witted . My niece, who has Mercury conjunct Saturn is working her way through graduate school ,and majoring in Art History. [ yes, Venus is in the triple conjunction in the second house.]

Sweet!! :)

my teenager has Mercury conjunct Venus in Taurus in the 6th and it is heavily aspected. It is exactly opposed Pluto in Scorpio, and tight square to Saturn in Aquarius in the 3rd. From that t-square one might worry about her IQ. lol But thank her lucky stars she has an exact trine to Neptune conjunct Uranus in her second house, and it bestowed a kind of musical prodigy type thing upon her as a very young child.

That's awesome. Music is one of the highest forms of communication (Mercury), and the Venus/ Mercury in Taurus combines idea and application, bringing it to synthesis via Taurus,i.e., to the material plane, and I believe the Neptune brings a higher level of creativity to it all. But the Uranus influence could cause this to be an erratic endeavor. *shrug* Very interesting.

The way I see her Mercury in Taurus, is kind of complex because of all of the outer planetary influences. The square to Saturn does indicate that she doesn't learn basic school lessons as readily as some do. She hates homework, but does it reluctantly. But she, as seen by her trine to Uranus/Neptune is very bright conceptually, and once she understands a concept like algebra or geometry, she can take it and run with it, and she never ever forgets it. But initially, she may get stuck, and feel like she cannot 'get' something. She had a brand new first year teacher in her first year of freshman algebra, and she dropped failed the class because she stubbornly swore she didnt get it and NEVER would. Her sophmore year we were lucky enough to get a veteran, popular teacher, who EASILY explained the concepts and the theorems to her, and she got A's in the class. SO I think sometimes Merc in Taurus is stubborn, or blocked or gets in a rut, but if given 'proper' instructions, they can get past said blocks.

My own take on this is that there is a mental lassitude involved because of the Mercury/Venus conjunction in the sixth house, she won't be intellectually lacking but lacking in intellectual application due to boredom; i.e., until something is of absolute interest, the rest will be ignored. This is probably heightened by Uranus squared. She is either all into it or not at all.

In regard to Mercury stationary, I have a theory that it causes mental obsessions. What I mean is there is a tendency to have great powers of concentration, which could, by some, be considered obsessional. Whether these obsessions are beneficent or maleficent is dependent on many factors but predominately so on planetary aspects. For example, because of my chart characteristics, my intelligence is highly influenced by my mood. States of anxiety can cause mental disruption, a lack of focus. This is true with everyone to a degree, but I believe it is more so with those who have malefic planetary and Mercury aspects that are problematic. Moreover, I notice that when I am happy, my memory borders on photographic, e.g., remembering the exact paragraph, placement and page in a book I read several days ago to not being able to remember the name of someone I've known for years when my mood is terribly low. My emotional constitution greatly affects my mental faculties. So, I find this to all affect the stationary direct aspect of Mercury. This is just my theory. *smile*

All the best,
C.

Cypocryphy

freedomlover said:
Well, this is the way I see it - the planet doesn't "make" one able to do anything better. It represents the lesson for the individual. In this case, it was a strong focus of his chart to learn to "take the high road" with his Mercury in Cancer - to express it positively, instead of negatively.

In my opinion, Cancer is a very tough placement of Mercury to learn to use positively. For some reason, Mercury in Cancer's seem to be very open to other's influencing their mind negatively. In his case, it's extra hard, because it is in his 12th house. The aspects it makes are: sextiles his Mars/Pluto conjunction in Virgo, semisextiles his Venus in Gemini, and trines his Chiron(r) in Pisces. But, I've found sometimes the so-called "easy" aspects, can work as "feeder lines" for negativity, if the person is not consciously trying to raise their expression.

FL

So the moral: Free will is the deciding factor. Take hold of the reins and reign over one's life or don't and go willy-nilly, letting the stars have their way with you.

Thank you for the interesting anecdote. :)
C.

katydid

Cypocryphy said:
Sweet!! :)

My own take on this is that there is a mental lassitude involved because of the Mercury/Venus conjunction in the sixth house, she won't be intellectually lacking but lacking in intellectual application due to boredom; i.e., until something is of absolute interest, the rest will be ignored. This is probably heightened by Uranus squared. She is either all into it or not at all.

This is true. She can listen to a lecture and absorb all of the info well enough to pass a test on the material, even math, science , history etc.
But when she tries to read the info, she cannot always comprehend what she reads because her mind wanders away from what she is trying to read.
Sometimes I end up reading some of her books to her before her finals to help her absorb the material. We have mercury opposed mercury exact.

In regard to Mercury stationary, I have a theory that it causes mental obsessions. What I mean is there is a tendency to have great powers of concentration, which could, by some, be considered obsessional. Whether these obsessions are beneficent or maleficent is dependent on many factors but predominately so on planetary aspects. For example, because of my chart characteristics, my intelligence is highly influenced by my mood. States of anxiety can cause mental disruption, a lack of focus. This is true with everyone to a degree, but I believe it is more so with those who have malefic planetary and Mercury aspects that are problematic. Moreover, I notice that when I am happy, my memory borders on photographic, e.g., remembering the exact paragraph, placement and page in a book I read several days ago to not being able to remember the name of someone I've known for years when my mood is terribly low. My emotional constitution greatly affects my mental faculties. So, I find this to all affect the stationary direct aspect of Mercury. This is just my theory. *smile*

All the best,
C.

YES. I can see the obsession theory. my writer husband with stationary retro Mercury in Aries is similar. He has it in the 12th, and he is CONSTANTLY writing and working in his head, even while going about his everyday activities. Which is why we call him Mr Magoo sometimes. It is not unsual to see him driving off to work in the morning with his coffee cup on the roof of the car.
And he has a HUGE library of books, and also has a photographic memory of sorts in terms of certain passages he has read and loved. He can bring them to mind years later, although he cannot remember what exit to take to get somewhere for the millionth time. :rolleyes:

Seymour

This might be not IN TOPIC that much but how can you see if ,at the date of your birth, Mercury Was Retrograde or not?? I'm interested about that as I've got much of mercury in my chart

Cypocryphy

katydid said:
YES. I can see the obsession theory. my writer husband with stationary retro Mercury in Aries is similar. He has it in the 12th, and he is CONSTANTLY writing and working in his head, even while going about his everyday activities. Which is why we call him Mr Magoo sometimes. It is not unsual to see him driving off to work in the morning with his coffee cup on the roof of the car.
And he has a HUGE library of books, and also has a photographic memory of sorts in terms of certain passages he has read and loved. He can bring them to mind years later, although he cannot remember what exit to take to get somewhere for the millionth time. :rolleyes:

Ha ha ha. Yes. *smile* To be focused implies the periphery is "out-of-focus." I can understand your husband more than you might think. ;)

Cypocryphy

Seymour said:
This might be not IN TOPIC that much but how can you see if ,at the date of your birth, Mercury Was Retrograde or not?? I'm interested about that as I've got much of mercury in my chart

Just give me or pm me your time place and date, and I'll tell you. :)

Arian Maverick

I can answer this! :D

Assuming you are using Astrodienst to create your natal chart, look at the pretty pictures under Astrodienst free Horoscopes and click the arrow to the left to change the pictures. Now click on the picture to the extreme right that reads Extended Chart Selection when you hover your mouse over it.

Now select your name in the drop-down menu next to Horoscope for: , if you have already created your natal chart. If you have not, click on Add a New Person to the right of that drop-down menu and enter your natal data. Click the blue button that says Click here to show the chart.

This page should be familiar to you if you've used Astrodiesnt before. At the top-left corner of the page, you'll see a link you may not have noticed before that reads View the additional tables (PDF)--it's under the link that reads View the PDF drawing (for subscribers). A window should pop up in your browser; if not, you may have to disable your pop-up blocker.

You'll see a bunch of charts on this page. You're looking at the first one labeled Planet positions, specifically under the column labeled Longitude. Go down that column for the planet you're looking for; the planets are listed to the right. If a planet is direct, it will not have any symbol after the longitude degree. If a planet is retrograde, it will have the familar Rx after the degree. What you're looking for is a different symbol--either Sd for stationary direct or Sr for stationary retrograde. If these symbols are not in the chart, then you do not have any natal planets which are stationary retrograde.

I hear ya about the stereotyping of Mercury/Taurus as being slow or mentally plodding. That is not the case generally unless there are real afflictions to undermine the mercury's effectiveness

...and I feel the same way regarding afflictions to Mercury, especially those regarding Saturn, as being indicative of a low IQ.

Perhaps due to this aspect, which I possess natally, I have difficulty understanding why the words "slow" or "mentally plodding" seem to be associated with stupidity. A quick thinker is not necessarily a careful thinker...

Going back to the topic at hand, didn't one of the United States presidents have stationary Mercury--perhaps John F. Kennedy? I'll have to check this out.

EDIT: Ah, I knew it! Scroll down to the section titled The Birth of JFK in this article: JFK, Chiron and The Wound That Never Heals: America's Turning Point of the 20th Century. Supposedly, JFK had both Mercury and Uranus stationary retrograde on the day of his birth; I must have discovered this while researching my own natal Uranus.

Arian Maverick

Last edited:

natasa812

katydid said:
I THINK THAT IS TRUE. My husband has a pattern of getting new jobs and signing contracts during retro Mercury. He has stationary retro mercury
in his natal chart so it seems like a natural thing for him.

For me, this is also true. When Mercury is retro, I feel ``myself`` again and I just could not explain this phenomena (I have it also retro in my natal). I even make mistakes when it turnes direct and I can not even speak ``normaly`` (my speech has no ``flow``).

Cypocryphy

Arian Maverick said:
...and I feel the same way regarding afflictions to Mercury, especially those regarding Saturn, as being indicative of a low IQ.

Perhaps due to this aspect, which I possess natally, I have difficulty understanding why the words "slow" or "mentally plodding" seem to be associated with stupidity. A quick thinker is not necessarily a careful thinker...

Going back to the topic at hand, didn't one of the United States presidents have stationary Mercury--perhaps John F. Kennedy? I'll have to check this out.

EDIT: Ah, I knew it! Scroll down to the section titled The Birth of JFK in this article: JFK, Chiron and The Wound That Never Heals: America's Turning Point of the 20th Century. Supposedly, JFK had both Mercury and Uranus stationary retrograde on the day of his birth; I must have discovered this while researching my own natal Uranus.

Arian Maverick

Thank you A.M. for that bit!!! :)

I did not know that about JFK. Always good to have evidence showing otherwise. In regard to Saturn, I believe our understanding of the planet is either skewed or incomplete. If only we could acquire the Persian documents on astrology that some Muslims destroyed two-thousand years ago