Astrology of Breakups

Osamenor

Staff member
I recently had a friend ask me, as an astrologer, whether her current trial separation from her partner will be permanent or they'll get back together. My response was that we don't know: the astrological factors might go in either direction, so both possibilities exist unless and until one or both of them decides otherwise. I'm wondering how accurate that really is.

I personally believe in choice-centered astrology. The astrological factors provide rough parameters, but within that, people can make choices. My friend and her partner could have chosen not to separate at all (though perhaps if they hadn't, they would just be unhappily together and wish they'd separated). They could choose to get back together, but if one of them decides to move on and no longer consider getting back together, the other would no longer have the option of restarting the relationship. Or, of course, they could both decide to make this a permanent separation.

Does anyone who's done much relationship astrology know if astrological factors point more strongly to a permanent breakup or a temporary one? Assuming, that is, that a breakup like this has occurred.

Notably, both parties in this case have significant cardinal sign placements that are getting touched by Saturn/Pluto right now. And some Saturn theme in their synastry that suggests what they would find difficult in the relationship, which my friend confirmed.

Osamenor

Staff member
I often see transit Uranus squaring Venus as a breakup / divorce aspect. Maybe transit Saturn square Venus as well?

And would you say that indicates a permanent breakup, a temporary breakup, or could go either way? That's my real question.

Neither my friend nor her partner has any Uranus or Saturn aspect transit to their Venus right now. We don't have a reliable birth time for her partner, so can't do a composite chart.

moonkat235

For a relationship, instead of using the composite, couldn't you use the time, date and place of initial meeting and look at transits, progressions, etc. for that?

Osamenor

Staff member
For a relationship, instead of using the composite, couldn't you use the time, date and place of initial meeting and look at transits, progressions, etc. for that?

I don't know when they met.

But, after my previous post, I realized that, while I can't do an accurate composite for them as far as angles and house cusps are concerned, I can find the midpoint composites of their planets. Her partner isn't certain of his birth time, but he is certain of the date. That's enough to get a composite Venus. Especially since he was born during a Venus station.

And wouldn't you know.... their composite Venus is at 3 Scorpio! :andy: So yes, Uranus opposition to composite Venus!

waybread

I don't think simple astrological placements are sufficient predictors, especially if people have been in a significant committed relationship. Uranus in the 7th house supposedly indicates break-ups. Yet people with a lot of planets in fixed signs can be tremendously loyal.

Some people see a live-in partner arrangement as contingent upon being happy in it. Others see it as a life-long commitment, but without the "piece of paper from city hall."

Back when divorce in the US was extremely difficult to obtain, a lot of married couples simply stayed together for life, not matter what was happening in their horoscopes. [As of the early 1970s, in my state, the only legal grounds for divorce were abandonment, cruel treatment (like beatings,) and adultery.]

So all kinds of variables have to be taken into account.

Osamenor

Staff member
I don't think simple astrological placements are sufficient predictors, especially if people have been in a significant committed relationship. Uranus in the 7th house supposedly indicates break-ups. Yet people with a lot of planets in fixed signs can be tremendously loyal.

That's why I added the caveat, in my first post: "Assuming that a breakup like this has occurred." And to be clear, I'm talking about transits, not natal placements. Natal placements are relevant if they're receiving significant transits, but I'm not saying the placements themselves are the reason for the breakup.

Chrysalis

My poor Venus so far this year, has had Saturn squaring her by direct motion which caused a couple of very silly breakups, like we was talking back the next day. Miscommunications, petty squabbles, it was him breaking up with me.

This next one which is now exact, is the retrograde square from Saturn, now this one feels different. Ive known its been approaching so i've been aware of more issues to arise in the r'ship. Last night we had a deep discussion, he told me some stuff i already deep down knew, that ive been brushing to one side. This is causing me to re-evaluate what i really want, and what i should do about this r'ship i'm in.

Then the end of November i've got it squaring by direct again.

Now as for if this transit will break us up for good, i'll have to let you know, as the transits still playing out.

Saturn is not my time lord for this year, its mars, so maybe this won't give Saturn too much strength to cause an actual break up. Well i suppose if mars was joining in with the transits too, to Venus it would be worse, but in my chart Tr mars is not aspecting anything. And i also have Tr jupiter sextile Venus which id see as a mitigating factor.

The composite chart would be the more exact indication i think to show a proper break up. Sudden break ups from Tr uranus,.....

Osamenor

Staff member
We have Venus in Scorpio 5 degrees and Uranus is opposing that right now... so does that mean we are going to break up?
Not unless at least one of you wants to.

If Uranus at a hard angle transit to composite Venus always made people break up, there would be no couples who stay together for decades. No matter where the composite Venus is, Uranus will hit it with a square, opposition, or conjunction at least once in 21 years. In most cases, the hard angle transit will come earlier in the relationship than that.

What does happen is that the relationship faces some sort of challenge or change. If there were already cracks in it, Uranus hitting composite Venus is an opportunity for breaking it apart. But it might also be a time when you renew the relationship, deciding at the end of the day that you really want to be together.

If it's a new relationship, then you would've had that Uranus to composite Venus energy already coming along when you got together. That might be part of what drew you together.

CelstialAZ23

It’s been about a year. It just passed over Venus. And it already passed Saturn. (We have Saturn at 0 Scorpio and Venus at 5 Scorpio) but yes what you say is true! I have been upset lately that we don’t see each other enough. So maybe it’s me going through the **** 😩

Osamenor

Staff member
When Uranus and Venus get together in a relationship--as an aspect in the synastry, or the composite chart, or transit to the composite--that's considered the divorce combination. What they say is, relationships involving Uranus - Venus start with a strong attraction and end just as suddenly, usually not lasting more than a year or two. But, if Saturn is involved with Venus, that gives the relationship staying power.

In this case, Saturn and Uranus both have some involvement. When Saturn comes into the Venus picture, that can change the "quickly come, quickly go" quality of Uranus - Venus to a relationship that actually does last long term. In that, you might get the same instant infatuation, and the relationship will probably go through changes, but it loses the "divorce aspect" quality.

CelstialAZ23

Ok!! Yeah Saturn conjunct Venus in our composite. Which I have heard is cold? But we aren’t very cold to each other. But we also have moon trine Neptune as well..

Osamenor

Staff member
Ok!! Yeah Saturn conjunct Venus in our composite. Which I have heard is cold? But we aren’t very cold to each other. But we also have moon trine Neptune as well..

Saturn is cold in temperament. That's a completely different thing from being emotionally cold.

I have some notes, somewhere, from a lecture on temperament, but no energy to dig them up right now. When we're talking about temperament, astrologically, everything is either hot/warm or cold/cool, and either wet or dry. Hot moves faster, cold moves slower... I remember that much.

Really, this fits the description of archetypal Saturn: slow, lasting, cautious.

Osamenor

Staff member
I’m not totally familiar with composites. And honestly astrology makes me paranoid.. lol

If astrology makes you paranoid, that's when you shouldn't be using it.

Relationship astrology can be a useful tool if you're already having problems in your relationship and want some help figuring them out. But if that's not what's going on, it will just make you paranoid. Charts show lots of different potentials, but they can't all manifest, any more than every sperm and egg becomes a baby.

CelstialAZ23

Thank you so much for your help. And I think it’s my mindset. I’m just really confused a lot. And if I’m feeling negative, all the negative things seem to
Stand out more!!