what does a Rx planet signify in a chart ?

wilsontc

Staff member
Rx planets, to Virinchi

Virinchi,

Retrograde planets indicate energy turned inward in the chart. When a person is young this can be very challenging for the person. But with time, if the person works on developing this energy in their life, the person usually develops a very strong energy in their retrograde planets.

Retrogradingly,

Tim

Mary

There are many theories about Retrogrades planets, either takin each planet alone or the meaning of having much of them or none at all.

I encourage you to read as much as posible, investigate famous people charts and the chart of people your know and then make your own conclucions.

First of all is important to know that planets don´t move backwards it´s just an illusion for the ones who habit this planet, the earth. The fact is that this planets seem to move backwards when ever they are very close to the earth.

Schulman´s book explains them one by one and relates them to past lives. Allow me to introduce my point of view here, I do not believe in past lives (I respect people who think the other way) so I actually interpret past lives as attitudes we learn when we were little and that we need to fully understand and cimprehend and then, utilize it.
Erin sullivan has a great book also, about them.

If you do not apply retro planets to karmic astrology you may find then that each energy of each retro planet is taken and felt in a very subjective and personal way. I myself have 6 retro planets in my chart, the generational (Uranus, Neptune and Pluto) , the Social ones (Jupiter and Saturn) and Mars. My way to explain my point of view is very personal, actually I think that peolple with many retro planets need to understand everything applied to the planet at a very deep level, in order to internalize it and after that process, express it with conviction.
There is a difference maked with outer, social planets retrograde and personal planets such as Mars, Venus and Mercury. Sun and Moon never go retrograde. The Moon nodes are retrograde most of the time (that´s whay many astrologers relate it with karma) so the odd thing would be to have it direct (I did not investigate about this so I cannot add anything about this).
I have posted an artcile about Retrograde Mars, in Taurus and Libra (I have Mars Rx in Libra) it is interesting. Here´s the link:
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2364

I have found the finest writers and composers with mercury retrograde. One article from a national astrological magazine (it´s in spanish it would take a lot of time to translate it, but may be I could summarize and post it some day) explains points in the horoscope related to proffesional hability in astrology. Thay had investigated the chart of the most imprtant astrologers, in most of the cases (not all) Uranus was retrograde.
It is good to say this because many people say, specially those new to astrology that retro are punishment, or bad in a way. Wel, that´s not true and it may be a great gift. There is a book written by Joanna Wickenburg about interceptions an retrogrades, it is called "YOUR HIDDEN POWERS".

Here is an article written by Arlene Kramer that I found though a thread here in this forum: http://www.arlenekramer.com/astrology10.asp
It includes information about tha aumont of rertograde planets in a natal chart. There is not a lot of information in this way, since retrograde have been investigated and theorized alone, and not treated in groupings. So there is a new topic for professional astrologers, or for you or maybe me to investigate...

Regards,

Mary

Last edited:

Arian Maverick

Mary,

How would your interpretation change for a stationary retrograde planet? This condition of my natal Uranus has always fascinated yet perplexed me...

Arian Maverick

Arian Maverick said:
Mary,

How would your interpretation change for a stationary retrograde planet? This condition of my natal Uranus has always fascinated yet perplexed me...

Arian Maverick

Do we have the makings of an astro genius here? :)

I was really upset about having retro planets when I started looking at astrology as I thought it might make me socially inept etc. I am ok about it as I do now take it as hidden talent planet and I realise everyone has them and quite a few them too.

I am very proud to have a retro mercury (in the 10th house) and am proud to say that some of my work has been published and I am looking forward one day to write a book. It has been an ambition of mine for a long time but I still want a live bit more to get a few more ideas down.

Otherwise, still processing retro Saturn and Pluto but I think these might be great planets to be in retro as I think it would give me a lot of hidden and internal strength.

Mary

Beth,

Sorry it took me a little to answer you.

Stationary retrograde is when the planet, Uranus, in your case, was seen as unmoved from earth and was starting to go retro. They say That when a Planet is Stationary it strengh and its meaning it´s at its strongest point. Now I understand why you always have been fascinated about Uranus.
Once difference can me make with Stationary Retrograde and Sationary Direct, that means when the planet was preparing to go direct. This slight difference should mean something... I´ll try to find out since I´m not so sure right now.

Virinchi,

I think it would be better to see your chart as a whole.

Your Jupiter is ruler of your 4th house and it is the dispositor of your 10th house ruler (mercury).
Jupiter in your 10th naturally mean that your search the meaning of your life through your statuts, and position. Jupiter is not making any hard aspects, so its enery flows naturally and with very few obstacles. Maybe your want to be famous, want to travel and have international connections. That means you could choose to be an educator, lawyer, Politics, administration, Real state, even acting, religion and philosophy. Your will develop a stringe sense of vision, enthusiams, and organizational skills. You have a high degree of authority and you won´t find many obstacles in when "climbing the ladder".
This enery is veri strong and I´m quite sure that you will take care to fully understand whatthat Jupiter enery really means. Once you incorporated all Jupiter talents you will show it in sociatey and expand, progress.

Mary

Firemoon

There is a general 'tone' to this thread that the Rx phenomenon is something negative, or to be 'overcome'. This is a common misconception, I believe. There is nothing 'negative' in our astrological symbols, except that thinking makes it so. There are Principles and Basic Human Needs which appear incompatible from the one or the other perspective. The truth is that we humans can make anything disfunctional. It's part of free will. We can also take any combination of symbolic factors and make a heaven on earth out of them.

Regarding Rx, WilsonTC summed it up by saying that the energy of the Rx planet moves inward before it moves outward. What that implies is specific to each specific planet. Mercury, for example, messenger of the Gods and ruler of both Gemini and Virgo has the energy of Communication and of Information Exchange moving inward when it's Rx. Obviously, this could be a real asset when utilized effectively. It could also be a pain if you're socially engaging someone with a lightening tongue! It implies a degree of slowness and of delay before the words come. And as proud 23 states, it does not imply any kind of inferior communication. Not at all.

Interesting also is when a natal Rx Mercury goes direct by progression, or when a direct natal goes Rx! If you're regularly involved with communication and the slightest bit sensitive, this is something which will definitely show it's head.

So each planet will see it's energy moving inward when Rx. Numerous Rx planets imply that large areas of the psyche will exibit this dynamic. And depending on house rulership distribution, it will effect numerous domains of life as well.

FM

I also read somewhere that the Retrograde energy is just used differently to how most people would use a direct planet in the chart. I have Jupiter Retrograde in Leo 11th. Other people who have this same placement as me but with their Jupiter direct may use this more outer directed. I don't mine is expressed as an inward energy. So I don't feel it is negative in my chart just expressed differently.

Shining Ray

I once had a book, which I still have at my parents' house about astrology. I really have to fish it out, it was a great book that examined basics quite well.

The one thing that I remember about the book was the way it described retrograde planets and how they are used by the owner/how they operate. It roughly said:

Imagine a spiral staircase with a pole that firemen use running through the middle. A direct planet will only deal with its task by running up or down each step in the spiral stair. A retrograde planet will only deal with its task by sliding down a pole or getting up via the pole; so in that way, the retrograde is able to use its energies wisely and in a way that direct can't.

Ever since then, I felt happy to have my retrogrades! It is quirky and maybe a bit inward, but its good.

milkywaygirl

i was just considering a retrograde planet in a friends chart the other day, good timing on this thread. just wanted to chime in and add my observations. my friend has mercury retrograde in scorpio.. hes a pretty bright guy with lofty ambitions and aspirations, although is constantly thwarted with things that i consider to be symptoms of his mercury rx; problems with communication (int he forms of people misinterpreting him or vice versa), sudden problems with deals (people backing out at the last minute), problems with short distance travel (he had his licence revoked and has to take cabs everywhere), and kind of a faulty or skewed vision; even though he has these great ambitions and lots of energy to pursue them, the logical basis upon which his ideas are based is often fundamentally flawed. for him i see his mercury in scorpio to be a real challenge to overcome; if he could learn to work around it and think in different terms, he could make it work for himself, but right now he isnt doing that and consequently he has to deal with all these symptoms of an rx mercury.

as was previously mentioned, an rx planet doesnt always manifest in such a negative way, i did a chart of another man who has saturn rx in the 29th degree of taurus, and he is very very successful with a great sense of responsibility and duty which he embraces wholeheartedly. this man i think caught a hold of his inwardly turned saturn at a young age and wasnt resistant to it and was able to utilize it and manifest its different flow of energy so to speak... i always imagine the energy of an rx planet to be like a quickly deflating and reinflating balloon as opposed to a steady stream of air...

Last edited:

wilsontc

Staff member
inward energy, to love

love,

When energy is turned inward, it takes more work to use the energy on things that are outside the person. The person works to develop this energy inwardly, since they are not certain how to use and since it takes a LOT of effort to use it in the outer world. However, the energy NEEDS to be expressed, so the person works and works at expressing this energy outwardly and, eventually, they get better at it, although the energy naturally resists this outward flow.

Retrogradingly,

Tim

pisceskitty

I was born with Pluto Rx in Libra in the 12H; Uranus Rx in Libra in my first[conjunct my Asc.]; Neptune Rx in Sagittarius in my 2H; Mercury Rx in Pisces in my 5H. With that Mercury Rx, as a child I was practically a mute. I really hated talking. I still have some anxiety about speaking to people. People usually strike up conversations with me. My Grandmother used to say that talking to me was like "Pulling teeth." She aslo used to say: "Everything with you is such a damned secret!!"

A lot of people have the generational planets retrograde Uranus, Neptune and Pluto. It's the personal and social ones that one should pay attention to. I have Venus retro in Aquarius----I always thought that made me a loon without a love life.

pwadm

Staff member
Don't be. Some people say that having all outers retrograde in a chart is an indicative of an evolved soul.
Mercury Rx is a plus. It easies the process of deep thinking, thorough analysis, and intelligent connections, although it kinda impaires people to speak up in front of others. It doesn't really matter, we can write :)

VenusInAries

Well for me I can explain I believe my Mars that is retrograde.

I have Mars in Sag retrograde. Yes in school I played a lot of sports still have a playful competitivness, and I read that Mars in Sag is like that I believe Michael Jordan has that just not retrograde but I don't remember his chart. But I will be honest my retrograde Mars I'm not really ever worried about competeing with others. I am always always competeing with myself. Always trying to one up the last thing I did. Also when I start theorizing on philosphy or life in general and the meaning (very sag thing) that energy gets turned inward. I can be very quiet and very still and lost in some very active ideas and thoughts about life for an entire day but someone from the outside would not see a whole lot of energy going on, yet there is major action going on in the brain lol. Also my retro Mars in sag opposes my Mercury in Gemini.. I was voted class clown in school but a lot of the times something I think is hysterical seems to not affect others like it does me.. I can make myself giggle into hyper-ventilations :eek: LOL

StarrySkies

I have Jupiter in Cancer Rx in my 6th House. I'm not too sure entirely how that plays out in my life except I'm currently confused about religion and other similar things in my life right now.

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
I have Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune all retrograde within nine degrees of each other, they all live in my tenth house. How that all factors into my career and whatnot, I'm not sure. However, I do know that when I was younger I was depressed...a lot. Which seems like a very negative Saturn thing to me. Also, I was very very truth-centric. I didn't like being lied to, and I hated being left in the dark, so my favorite word in the world was "Why?".

Now, flashforward to the present, I'm not as depressed anymore, I get that way sometimes, but the constant haze of depression doesn't envelope me anywhere near like it used to. So, I think I turned the negative Saturn to a positive Saturn. Also, I found my own personal truth, and in doing so I changed from the religion of my parents' to a religion that is more like myself. I think this has a lot to do with my retrograde Neptune, I turned it around, so to speak. Now, you'll notice I left out retrograde Uranus...well...I don't really know about him, but I do enjoy the unpredictable moments of luck (good or bad) I receive.