Most elevated planet

conspiracy theorist

I'm debating on whether to incorporate this more into the charts I read.

The most elevated planet is the planet that is closest to the MC degree and this apparently brings said planet to prominence in the life. It's an idea that is similar to the cutting planets/high focus in the Marc Edmund Jones and singletons by hemisphere.

What is your most elevated planet and does it play a strong role in your life? Your contribution will help to advance our collective knowledge.

Tla26

My MC is at 18 degrees Gemini. There are only two planets near it: 10th house retrograde Chiron in Cancer at 5 degrees and 9th house retrograde Jupiter in Taurus at 28 degrees.

katydid

My son has Mercury in Aries tightly conjunct the MC, in the 10th. I think that describes him well as he is very perceptive, yet blunt and direct in his communications. He loves to read and he reads voraciously. Often one full length novel a week.

My daughter has Jupiter in Virgo conjunct her MC. I think that makes sense because she is very ‘worldly’ and does a lot of traveling for work and has been pretty successful in a few different ventures.

My husband has Venus in the 11th in Pisces as most elevated. This is a perfect description of his life as it is in a water grand trine with 3rd, 7th and with Mars/Moon/Uranus. He is an artist in various fields. Writer, director, musician, voice actor…and has a strong social media following.

My daughter in law has Jupiter in the 10th in Aquarius as most elevated. She is a college professor and specializes in the Science Fiction genre in her English Classes.

sylph

My son has Mercury in Aries tightly conjunct the MC, in the 10th. I think that describes him well as he is very perceptive, yet blunt and direct in his communications. He loves to read and he reads voraciously. Often one full length novel a week.

My daughter has Jupiter in Virgo conjunct her MC. I think that makes sense because she is very ‘worldly’ and does a lot of traveling for work and has been pretty successful in a few different ventures.

My husband has Venus in the 11th in Pisces as most elevated. This is a perfect description of his life as it is in a water grand trine with 3rd, 7th and with Mars/Moon/Uranus. He is an artist in various fields. Writer, director, musician, voice actor…and has a strong social media following.

My daughter in law has Jupiter in the 10th in Aquarius as most elevated. She is a college professor and specializes in the Science Fiction genre in her English Classes.

Good and helpful examples!

A few days ago I commented on a different thread with the same topic, and I said that Mars tightly conjunct my MC does not seem to really "show" itself in my life that much. Granted, it's debilitated but that shouldn't matter so much considering it has accidental dignity. I do have the South Node conjunct the MC as well, but it's on the other side (in the 9th house). I guess, now that I think about it, even though I don't display the "typical" Mars in 10th traits (which I've read often have to do with being a boss or super ambitious, or being drawn to a career in the military), I have a strong need to move my body and improve fitness constantly. The harder the exercise or physical labor is, the better I feel.

It is kind of a defining factor in my life; it's something I'm completely committed to and can barely function without.

That's the problem with cookbook astrology, I guess. If Mars = war and 10th = career, then OF COURSE that must mean a military career, right? :annoyed:

conspiracy theorist

My MC is at 18 degrees Gemini. There are only two planets near it: 10th house retrograde Chiron in Cancer at 5 degrees and 9th house retrograde Jupiter in Taurus at 28 degrees.

You never gave any detail as to how these points pan out. I'm interested in hearing how you experience your Jupiter aspect in particular

dr. farr

In my evaluation of charts (event/mundane and natal) I select the following factors as my chief areas of study in order to derive the "essence" of the influences and trends indicated by the chart:

-the ascendant/ascending degree
-the MC/MC degree
-the Ruler of the chart
-the Co-ruler of the chart
-the Part of Fortune
-THE MOST ELEVATED PLANET

...because the most elevated planet indicates high potential in any given chart.

conspiracy theorist

In my evaluation of charts (event/mundane and natal) I select the following factors as my chief areas of study in order to derive the "essence" of the influences and trends indicated by the chart:

-the MC/MC degree
-the Ruler of the chart
-the Part of Fortune

...because the most elevated planet indicates high potential in any given chart.

You and Katydid have been doing this successfully for awhile so I take stock in your opinions (and hearing from people who are willing to share their points is also pretty enlightening). Could you elaborate on what you mean by high potential?

dr. farr

You and Katydid have been doing this successfully for awhile so I take stock in your opinions (and hearing from people who are willing to share their points is also pretty enlightening). Could you elaborate on what you mean by high potential?

High potential = planet is likely to have great influence upon the chart.

Here's an example: in my natal chart Uranus in Cancer (near the Part of Fortune) is the most elevated planet in my chart; Uranus is a significator (in Modernist astrology) for both astrology and astronomy. Now, as a child I was rather a prodigy in astronomy: at age 3 my favorite book as "The Golden Book of Astronomy"...by age 5 I was helping neighbor high school students write papers for their classes on a variety of astronomical subjects!
But by around 9 years old, I dropped astronomy because it seemed to me to be just a mass of facts and figures with no relevance to the world or to humankind. At 12 years of age, when I first learned about astrology, I found that astrology DID give meaning to the facts of astronomy, that astrology made astronomy relevant to the world and humankind, and so from age 12 years on to the present, I have studied astrology. All this, I submit, can be traced to the high potential of Uranus-the most elevated planet in my natal chart.

Tla26

You never gave any detail as to how these points pan out. I'm interested in hearing how you experience your Jupiter aspect in particular

Sorry.

My Jupiter really does rule me. It literally makes a perfect 0 degree trine to my Cap moon in the 5th.

The way it affects me is that I'm extremely philosophical. I have hundreds of quotes saved on my phone. I love jokes and clapbacks...especially "yo momma" jokes. I laugh most everything off and make lemons out of lemonade...I can make any negativity into positivity. I really do feel there's a lot to the planet closest to the MC.

dr. farr

As an historical note, in early Greco-Roman astrology there was a decided tendency to give primacy to the MC rather than to the ascendant, and to give special attention to any highly elevated planets.

detectahead

-the MC/MC degree
-the Ruler of the chart
-the Part of Fortune

Dr farr, when you refer to degree of Asc and MC are you relating in terms of degrees as the decanate of the sign or something other?
And what are your factors in determining the ruler of the chart and co-ruler?
Curious,because no one can ever know enough.

craft94

Mine would be Saturn - 6 degrees Pisces, MC is at 23 degrees Aquarius. I don't think I come across as all that Saturnian and that might be because I don't think the dreamy sign of Pisces is the best place for it.

Oddity

I've got the Jupiter/Spica/Arcturus/NN thing going on my MC.

So predictable....

Law, writing, editing, and of course - astrology.

Claire19

I'm debating on whether to incorporate this more into the charts I read.

The most elevated planet is the planet that is closest to the MC degree and this apparently brings said planet to prominence in the life. It's an idea that is similar to the cutting planets/high focus in the Marc Edmund Jones and singletons by hemisphere.

What is your most elevated planet and does it play a strong role in your life? Your contribution will help to advance our collective knowledge.

No I dont agree. I use aspects with planets and where they are in the chart. Elevated or not. Does not compute with me.

Claire19

I've got the Jupiter/Spica/Arcturus/NN thing going on my MC.

So predictable....

Law, writing, editing, and of course - astrology.

what else is in your 10th house??. I dont use anything but planets but the north node yes. That is very significant. Jupiter can be publishing, law
and global contacts in general.

conspiracy theorist

Mine would be Saturn - 6 degrees Pisces, MC is at 23 degrees Aquarius. I don't think I come across as all that Saturnian and that might be because I don't think the dreamy sign of Pisces is the best place for it.

Hmm, do you think Saturn's effect is strong enough in your life like how others have spoken about there most elevated planet? Are is it more lowkey in its effects? This is not an attempt to "force" the technique but I want to be sure how it plays out in your case before I strike it out as a miss.

katydid

CT,

I could be wrong, and I have no 'links' or studies to show this, but in my experience, the most elevated planet is most 'effective' when it is a singleton of some kind as well as most elevated.

In other words, if there are a lot of 9th and 10th house planets, and one of them happens to be closest to the MC, I am not sure it has the same impact, as when there is only one planet up there at the top. If there are 4 planets in a tight stellium in the 10th, they are all elevated planets, in my experience.

also, another example=If the native's chart is a bowl pattern, and the most elevated planet is the lip of the bowl in the 7th house, then I don't see it as an elevated planet, in the same way many others are. Or in a Locomotive pattern, I would see it as more of the 'leader' of the locomotive , and the engine trying to lead. Or as the lip of the bowl and part of the opposition in the rim.

In my daughters chart, everything else is below the horizon, except for the Jupiter in the 10th. So it is a singleton and the most elevated planet. So I take that distinction of 'most elevated' into account.

Last edited:

conspiracy theorist

Hi Katy, about that...

Where would your cut-off be in regard to the most elevated planet? Say all the planets were below the horizon and the most elevated planet is a planet in the 6th house conjunct the dsc. Would you say that this planet is acts as if the most elevated?