intercepted first house

Intercepted signs and houses can differ depending on which house system you use. My guess is that you used Placidus because it's the most popular house system, but there are other systems as well. You can run your chart through multiple systems on astro.com, because there are a lot of them available there. If you use equal houses or whole signs you'll never get intercepted houses though. :smile:

As for your question, I don't think having an intercepted first house means anything. I have intercepted houses myself and didn't find anything useful about their interpretation. However, some astrologers will most probably disagree with me.

Last edited:

AppLeo

From my knowledge, an intercepted first house means that there is a lack of self expression.

So you either overcompensate by over expressing yourself or being overly selfish, or you simply don't express yourself as much as you should.

The sign interception can explain in more detail. There's an imbalance when it comes to interception

Aries/Libra = imbalance of giving or taking
Taurus/Scorpio = imbalance of stagnation or chaos
Gemini/Sagittarius = imbalance of curiosity or experience
Cancer/Capricorn = imbalance of family life or career
Leo/Aquarius = imbalance of creativity or humanitarian pursuits
Virgo/Pisces = imbalance of mundane tasks and escapism

As an example, in my chart under the placidus system, I have an interception between Pisces and Virgo, Moon, and Mercury.

I have a tendency to escape and ignore responsibilities (imbalance of pisces) while also overanalyzing and worrying about the smallest things (imbalance of virgo). This polarization takes place in my 2nd and 8th house. So material possessions and shares possessions with others. The Moon and Mercury are intercepted as well so I have periods of being completely unemotional or being overly emotional. Overly talkative or silent.

Hopefully I helped.

katydid

So what does it mean to have another sign in your first house but it not being your ascendent?

That ^^^, by itself, does not mean your 1st house has an interception.

I have Taurus rising, but the last half of my 1st house has Gemini inside it.

That is not an interception because Gemini is on the cusp of the 2nd house.

An interception is when an entire sign is within a house, and that sign is not shown on any house cusps.

So if I had 28Taurus rising, and then all 30 degrees of Gemini were contained within my first house, and Cancer was on the 2nd cusp,

then that^^^ would be Gemini intercepted in my 1st.

katydid

Intercepted signs and houses can differ depending on which house system you use. My guess is that you used Placidus because it's the most popular house system, but there are other systems as well. You can run your chart through multiple systems on astro.com, because there are a lot of them available there. If you use equal houses or whole signs you'll never get intercepted houses though. :smile:

As for your question, I don't think having an intercepted first house means anything. I have intercepted houses myself and didn't find anything useful about their interpretation. However, some astrologers will most probably disagree with me.

I agree that maybe some people over rate the significance of interceptions. HOWEVER, there are sometimes when they are impactful.

For example, in a regular chart, Mercury is going to rule 2 houses. And Venus will rule 2 houses. That is part of the significance of the personal planets, having 2 houses they lord over.

I have seen examples of both Taurus and Libra being intercepted, and thus Venus has no house rulerships. That can cut down on the powers of that planet. Where does your Venus feel loving and loved and appreciated when she does not rule any of the areas of life?

Also, when Cancer is intercepted, the Moon has no 'domain' to rule. Again, that can weaken the emotional realm.

I agree that maybe some people over rate the significance of interceptions. HOWEVER, there are sometimes when they are impactful.

For example, in a regular chart, Mercury is going to rule 2 houses. And Venus will rule 2 houses. That is part of the significance of the personal planets, having 2 houses they lord over.

I have seen examples of both Taurus and Libra being intercepted, and thus Venus has no house rulerships. That can cut down on the powers of that planet. Where does your Venus feel loving and loved and appreciated when she does not rule any of the areas of life?

Also, when Cancer is intercepted, the Moon has no 'domain' to rule. Again, that can weaken the emotional realm.

Well, in my chart using Placidus I have Cancer intercepted. I don't feel like it has any effect on my personality. :sideways: I have read descriptions of it like on this site: http://www.bobmarksastrologer.com/Intercepted_signs.htm , but ultimately they're only worth a laugh or two and don't offer anything descriptive in terms of a person's personality. I think it's a big mistake that many authors still insist that Cancer rules home, while Capricorn rules career. It's not true at all, dammit. You'd look at the 4th/10th houses axis here, not Cancer-Capricorn! Similar things can be said about other signs. So in the end, there's nothing new intercepted houses can offer.

I haven't switched to whole signs or equal houses (yet?) and still use Placidus, but I think clear and understandable house cusps is one of the advantages of these systems. It doesn't make any sense to me why some areas of a person's chart would be "locked" and not find expression in a person's life. The whole idea of finding meaning in interceptions is very strange for my taste, I consider them merely as defects of quadrant systems which are bound to happen from time to time, not their fortes.

JUPITERASC

Well, in my chart using Placidus I have Cancer intercepted. I don't feel like it has any effect on my personality. :sideways: I have read descriptions of it like on this site: http://www.bobmarksastrologer.com/Intercepted_signs.htm , but ultimately they're only worth a laugh or two and don't offer anything descriptive in terms of a person's personality. I think it's a big mistake that many authors still insist that Cancer rules home, while Capricorn rules career. It's not true at all, dammit. You'd look at the 4th/10th houses axis here, not Cancer-Capricorn! Similar things can be said about other signs. So in the end, there's nothing new intercepted houses can offer.

I haven't switched to whole signs or equal houses (yet?)
and still use Placidus

but I think clear and understandable house cusps is one of the advantages of these systems.
It doesn't make any sense to me why some areas of a person's chart
would be "locked" and not find expression in a person's life.
The whole idea of finding meaning in interceptions is very strange for my taste
I consider them merely as defects of quadrant systems
which are bound to happen from time to time, not their fortes.
No need to switch - here's why :smile:
use both

i.e.

tsmalls comment at
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum...ad.php?t=94683
explains the rationale

I use both whole signs and Placidus.
The original idea of quadrant based house systems was to determine angularity,
and never to replace the concept of topics.
So I count signs for topics
and use a house system overlaid onto it.

Because, as I mentioned above, capability
and angularity/ability to act
are two different things.....
tsmall uses BOTH whole signs AND Placidus

I use BOTH whole signs AND Alcabitius
some use whole sign AND Regiomontanus
there are multiple QUADRANT house systems
its a matter of personal choice which to use in tandem with WHOLE SIGN

No need to switch - here's why :smile:
use both

i.e.

tsmalls comment at
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum...ad.php?t=94683
explains the rationale

tsmall uses BOTH whole signs AND Placidus

I use BOTH whole signs AND Alcabitius
some use whole sign AND Regiomontanus
there are multiple QUADRANT house systems
its a matter of personal choice which to use in tandem with WHOLE SIGN

Yeah, thanks, I've heard about that. :happy: But the thing is that with this approach we determine angularity from quadrant house systems, but we describe the "place" where a planet acts looking at whole signs. And here is where I have my personal doubts. I feel like Placidus really hits the nail when describing where my planets act but I don't put a big cross over whole signs either. I definitely won't argue that angularity isn't important for astrologers who use whole signs because it obviously is, but that's not what I'm talking about.

JUPITERASC

Yeah, thanks, I've heard about that. :happy: But the thing is that with this approach
we determine angularity from quadrant house systems
but we describe the "place" where a planet acts looking at whole signs.
And here is where I have my personal doubts.
I feel like Placidus really hits the nail when describing where my planets act
but I don't put a big cross over whole signs either.
I definitely won't argue that angularity isn't important for astrologers who use whole signs
because it obviously is, but that's not what I'm talking about.
keep in mind that
a planet angular when using BOTH whole signs
and ANY quadrant system
is stronger :smile:
than a planet angular SOLELY by whole signs
or SOLELY by any quadrant system