How can you tell which CROSSING lines are closer/farther away.

Raindrops

How can you tell the DISTANCE of CROSSING lines to the location?????????

AstroCartography makes it easy for me to see how close aspects like "Venus sextile Uranus" are.

But, is there an easy way to see how close a crossing line is to a certain location? Sure, if I whip out Google to find the exact latitute of my location then try to mathmatically deduce that they are 4 latitude degrees apart --- which does not tell me how strong the crossing is!

Should latitude degrees be treated like aspect degrees? A 1 degree conjunction is likened to a location that is 1 latitude degree away from a crossing point??

Last edited:

archergirl

This is not an area of expertise for me, but I would assume that it's not that exact a science for real-life use.

For example, I have my DSC Venus line running through the eastern part of England (which is also, coincidentally or not, where I live). I don't think I'd need to live in the village that lies exactly under that line, to feel the effects of Venus being there; I live 'more or less' on or around that line, and it seems to work fine. Probably much like aspects in a chart, there is a certain area of 'orb' around the line where the planet will still take effect.

AG:)

Raindrops

Yes, but how far East or West of the line is permissible?

For example, what is 100 miles equatable to? How strong is the feeling? Is it like feeling a 6 degree square or trine? Or a 4 degree aspect? Or a very weak 9 degree square/trine?

Or is 200 miles equatable to a 6 degree aspect? Or a 9 degree aspect?

I do not have any sense of distance when doing locational astrology :(.

EJ53

Banned
Raindrops said:
Yes, but how far East or West of the line is permissible?

For example, what is 100 miles equatable to? How strong is the feeling? Is it like feeling a 6 degree square or trine? Or a 4 degree aspect? Or a very weak 9 degree square/trine?

Or is 200 miles equatable to a 6 degree aspect? Or a 9 degree aspect?

I do not have any sense of distance when doing locational astrology :(.

This seems to be "oranges to apples" - in that astrocart orbs of influence are expressed in distance/miles and relocation chart orbs are in degrees. The "distance of influence" from an astrocart line is (I think) around 50 miles - and (arguably) weakens by 10% in 5 mile bands. But, the problem is in converting this distance from/to degrees because of the curvature of the earth - which results in 1 degree of longitude being a greater physical distance at the equator/0 degrees of lattitude than at 60 degrees of lattitude. But, as a rough guide (and assuming my calculations are correct) :-

At 0 to 20 degrees of lattitude, 1 degree of longitude = about 70 miles.
At 20 to 40 degrees of lattitude, 1 degree of longitude = about 65 miles.
So, about 45 minutes of longitude either side of the astrocart line would be about the maximum range of influence at lattitudes of 0 to 40 degrees.

However, you have to use the "google maps" approach if you want anything other than a very rough guide.

EJ:)

Derestanne

Let us not confuse the Primary Lines shown on the ACG Maps with the Latitude Line Crossing List as provided by Astro Numeric Service.

In the case of the Primary Lines, my own experience is that the Inner Planets (particularly Mercury and Venus) extend no more than 50 to 75 miles East or West of the Line Position shown on the ACG Maps.

The Outer Planets (Jupiter, Saturn, Neptune) being very large planets, cover broader territory, like as much as 150 miles East or West. I was at least 100 miles away from my Jupiter MC Line through Chicago when the people in a small Michigan Town where offering me all sorts of employment and money opportunities.

As for the Line Crossings, Astro Numeric Service maintains that line crossings are about 33% - one-third as influential as the Primary Lines. But I have experienced curious variations. My Jupiter-Pluto Line Crossing nearly "knocked me on my tail". True, it was doing exactly what Astro Numeric Service promised, but because I have Jupiter in Gemini and Pluto in Leo, the influence played on my nerves so bad I could only stand a few months of it! It felt like a nervous breakdown in progress! I suspect it was Pluto stirring up an inner transformation but it was way more than I could handle on an emotional level! So don't ever discount the power of the Latitude Line Crossings!

In conclusion, I think the jury is very much still out on the Line Crossings. We have a great deal to learn about them yet still. I tell my Clients to "experiment" with them and be prepared to move around a line crossing until they find a town that "feels right".

lorieno

Astrocartography follows the precept that planets are strongest in the four powerful angle houses (MC, ASV, IC and Desc). Plotting lines on a map where the planets were in angular positions at the time and place of your birth shows where they are powerful geographically. These are the Birth Lines.Their influence is between 400 and 700 miles on either side of the lines in a diminishing manner. (A weak planet will have a lesser geographical influence). But before jumping to conclusion I believe that one must ask oneself what is the value of this Planet in the chart in terms of harmony and power, through aspects and position. At least that is what I do with my clients. I believe it is wrong to send someone to a Jupiter line without first checking how Jupiter functions in the chart.

As for the latitude Crossings they are the results of birth lines intersecting on the planet. Say your Jupiter MC line and your Venus Asc line cross in San Francisco you have a Latitude Crossing Jupiter/Venus which extends around the earth at the same latitude than SF. The interpretation of this Latitude crossing will depend of the qualities of both these planets in your chart but we can expect the experience of sociableness and popularity in this case. However we must remember that Latitude Crossings work as a subplot and their influence (around 70 Miles on each side of the line) should not be exagarrated. Personally I do look at them, I do mention them to my clients but I have not found them very important in analysing a location. They can help to pin point an area but I don't put them very high on the list of priorities.

Have you tried the astrocartography on astro.com, go to free horoscopes, then look to right. Astrocartography works and there is forum on AW that covers this and on astro.com on interactive, travel they offer astrocartography/world maps, which has its place and explains which planets rules lat and long where you relocate to and how this will affect you in this location. Do NOT do a relocated birth chart.

Relocated birth charts are more or less astrocartography, whereby all your natal planets are stretched out over the globe and uses lat and long to discover best place to live. Apparently relocated birth charts does something similar (but not as widely used or known as astrocartography) whereby especially over the Angles could bring a planet out of 12, 3 6 or 9th to become much more active

Last edited: