Zodiacal Time-Frame Parameters in Horary

dr. farr

The Ankara tradition allotted time-frame parameters to horary questions based upon a variation of the zodiacal time period tables of Al-Biruni. The ascending sign of the horary was taken as the time-frame indicator. In Ankara's secondary horary method, "divining by the Moon" (simple Lunar divnation) the sign in which the Moon's next "conjunction" to a planet or node would occur, was taken as the indicative time-frame for the divination.

Following, then, is the time-frame parameters list used by the Ankara tradition in horary delineation:

ARIES: minimum = 28 days..... maximum = 15 months

TAURUS: minimum = 20 days..... maximum = 8 months

GEMINI: minimum = 50 days..... maximum = 20 months

CANCER: minimum = 62 days..... maximum = 25 months

LEO: minimum = 48 days..... maximum = 19 months

VIRGO: minimum = 50 days..... maximum = 20 months

LIBRA: minimum = 20 days..... maximum = 8 months

SCORPIO: minimum = 28 days..... maximum = 15 months

SAGITTARIUS: minimum = 30 days..... maximum = 30 months

CAPRICORN: minimum = 68 days..... maximum = 27 months

AQUARIUS: minimum = 75 days..... maximum = 30 months

PISCES: minimum = 30 days..... maximum = 12 months

Where did Al-Biruni (1028 AD) get these time periods? Historically it is not known for certain, but there is a close relationship between them and the planetary time-period allocations in the calculations of Vettius Valens from the 2nd century AD.

Last edited:

dr. farr

Yes, the minimum time frames given above have seemed to be fairly accurate in actual practice, although most of what I do is astro-therapeutic horaries and decumbitures (also some relationship horary-I have little or no experience in other horary fields such as business ventures, vocation, travel, legal issues/lawsuits, finding of lost objects, sports or financial interrogations)

In my understanding the Ankara tradition applied the above time-frame parameters in horary and also in event-ramification analysis. There is a subsidiary time-frame table which was appiled for what were called "sudden" or "immediate" interrogations: that is, questions of an "acute" nature about developments over a very short period of time (days and hours) I have appended this ultra-short time-frame table below.

ARIES: hours: 3..... days: 3

TAURUS: hours: 16..... days: 1

GEMINI: hours: 4..... days: 4

CANCER: hours: 5..... days: 5

LEO: hours: 23..... days: 3

VIRGO: hours: 4..... days: 4

LIBRA: hours: 16..... days: 1

SCORPIO: hours: 3..... days: 3

SAGITTARIUS: hours: 12..... days: 2

CAPRICORN: hours: 15..... days: 5

AQUARIUS: hours: 6..... days: 6

PISCES: hours: 2..... days: 2

(Note: I have no personal experience with the hour/day time-frame parameters)

Last edited:

Konrad

Account Closed
Well, I'll note it down and let you know how accurate I find them.

With the Moon divination, by conjunction, do you mean a bodily conjunction or did they use antisica or a simlar technique?
________
HERBAL STORE

Last edited:

dr. farr

In the simple Lunar divination they used the "forthcoming" (in the chart) bodily conjunction: I have given an example of this technique in the recent "Will I get the job?" thread by Neptune Rising, and another in the recent thread entitled "Will the beauty product work?".
They also used the Moon's last bodily conjunction (with planet or node) in their calculations: they assigned 1 "point" (either + or -) for the past conjunction and 2 "points" (either + or -) for the immediately forthcoming conjunction (neither aspects nor declination nor orbs of any kind were used in these Lunar divinations)

dr. farr

Yes and No: they are the estimated period of time in which whatever the answer given by the chart, will remain valid.

If the question is about something happening (or not happening), that is, about a matter coming to pass, then they refer to the estimated period of time when that matter will (or won't) happen, ie, to the time in which the matter will likely perfect.

These time parameters are NOT used, when a specific time-frame is already incorporated into the question.

Last edited:

dr. farr

For example:
-say the question has to do with a possible new love relationship: the chart indicates it is likely, but over what period of time should you be considering the indications in that chart to be valid? Using al-Biruni's method, you would look at the rising sign, lets say it is Libra: checking with the table (above) we find that Libra's time frame is from 20 days to 8 months: now, 20 days is too soon, and 8 months rather too long, for the new love relationshp to get going: so you would estimate that what the chart indicates should start to materialize over the next 3 to 4 months.

Let's say you ask about your current job: is there any danger of losing it? The chart indicates no, but how long is that valid for? Say Aquarius rises: the minimum time frame given is 68 days (a bit over 2 months), so you could say with confidence that it would be unlikely for you to lose your job over the next couple of months.

Remember that when you ask a specific WHEN question, the al-Biruni method is NOT to be used, but rather specific time-estimating techniques should be used insted; only when you have asked a "non-when" question, but want to get an idea of the time frame during which the horary answer is likely to remain valid, can the al-Biruni method be of value.

chris10

For example:
-say the question has to do with a possible new love relationship: the chart indicates it is likely, but over what period of time should you be considering the indications in that chart to be valid? Using al-Biruni's method, you would look at the rising sign, lets say it is Libra: checking with the table (above) we find that Libra's time frame is from 20 days to 8 months: now, 20 days is too soon, and 8 months rather too long, for the new love relationshp to get going: so you would estimate that what the chart indicates should start to materialize over the next 3 to 4 months.

Let's say you ask about your current job: is there any danger of losing it? The chart indicates no, but how long is that valid for? Say Aquarius rises: the minimum time frame given is 68 days (a bit over 2 months), so you could say with confidence that it would be unlikely for you to lose your job over the next couple of months.

Remember that when you ask a specific WHEN question, the al-Biruni method is NOT to be used, but rather specific time-estimating techniques should be used insted; only when you have asked a "non-when" question, but want to get an idea of the time frame during which the horary answer is likely to remain valid, can the al-Biruni method be of value.

Thank you dr.farr :)
What other methods are there? People on this board are talking about "time units". Is there/ do you know of a particular link with information and examples that might be helpful?

dr. farr

There are a number of time estimating methods-actually I posted a couple I use (other than the al-Biruni method) however I have lost track of where that post is.
One method I use is to count the signs between the primary significators (querent and primary quesited) and allocate one time unit per sign (depending upon the nature of the question each time unit might be a month, if the question is very acute, it might be a week) Another method is to count the degrees between the primary significators and give each degree the value of one day in time; yet another method is to use the Moon: count how many degrees (each degree = 1 day) or how many sign (each sign = either 1 month or in acute questions 1 week) until the Moon will conjunct (IN THE CHART, not in the ephemeris!) the primary quesited significator, and estimate the time-frame that way.
These methods (above) and the al-Biruni method, are the ones I use in making horary time estimations-however, there are other methods described in the horary literature.

chris10

There are a number of time estimating methods-actually I posted a couple I use (other than the al-Biruni method) however I have lost track of where that post is.
One method I use is to count the signs between the primary significators (querent and primary quesited) and allocate one time unit per sign (depending upon the nature of the question each time unit might be a month, if the question is very acute, it might be a week) Another method is to count the degrees between the primary significators and give each degree the value of one day in time; yet another method is to use the Moon: count how many degrees (each degree = 1 day) or how many sign (each sign = either 1 month or in acute questions 1 week) until the Moon will conjunct (IN THE CHART, not in the ephemeris!) the primary quesited significator, and estimate the time-frame that way.
These methods (above) and the al-Biruni method, are the ones I use in making horary time estimations-however, there are other methods described in the horary literature.

Very useful information dr. farr. I really appreciate this. Thank you.:smile:

dr. farr

A current example of horary time estimations can be found in my post to the thread entitled "When Will I Find a Job" (by Lol Lol) , in the Career Horary section

dr. farr

Thought I'd also refresh this old thread: it has to do with estimating the period of time a given horary (actually a given answer to a horary question) would likely remain "in effect".

However, it depends upon the nature of the horary question whether one would use the days given or the months given in the table. A question about a very fluid horary matter, would most likely use the days in the table; a question about a "deeper" matter, or a matter likely to take some time before coming to manifestation (or being resolved), would most likely use the months given in the table

An innovation I have tried (over the past few years) has been to use the 1st house (ascendant or "querent") sign AND whatever sign is on the quesited house: when the times indicated by these signs are different (either in months or in days, depending upon whether the question is fluid or deeper/longer in nature) I have used these as "minimum" and "maximum" estimations of the period of time covered by the horary...

chris10

Thought I'd also refresh this old thread: it has to do with estimating the period of time a given horary (actually a given answer to a horary question) would likely remain "in effect".

However, it depends upon the nature of the horary question whether one would use the days given or the months given in the table. A question about a very fluid horary matter, would most likely use the days in the table; a question about a "deeper" matter, or a matter likely to take some time before coming to manifestation (or being resolved), would most likely use the months given in the table

An innovation I have tried (over the past few years) has been to use the 1st house (ascendant or "querent") sign AND whatever sign is on the quesited house: when the times indicated by these signs are different (either in months or in days, depending upon whether the question is fluid or deeper/longer in nature) I have used these as "minimum" and "maximum" estimations of the period of time covered by the horary...

So glad you're back dr. farr :love: