Astrological theory of Dr. Percy Seymour

vasilis

The eminent British astrophysicist Dr. Percy Seymour has formulated an original theory of astrology. The theory develops dialectically with radial terms in his book "The scientific basis of Astrology" and subtitled "Tuning to the music of the planets."
My own theory of the "Astrology of the13 signs of the Zodiac" takes into consideration the theory of Percy Seymour primarily on how the planets affect the fetus and the human nervous system.
Dr. Percy Seymour is dividing his theory analogically to the evidence level it is using:

1. In first level, it is accepted by almost all scientists that the sunspots cycle affects the magnetic field of Earth, and the agency responsible for this effect, the solar wind, has been detected. It is also beyond doubt that the Moon causes tides in the upper atmosphere which give rise to electric currents, and these generate the lunal daily magnetic variation.
2. In second level, there is plenty of evidence that both the steady state as well as the fluctuating behavior of the geomagnetic field can be used by organisms, including man, for purposes of finding direction and keeping internal body time. This is much documented and widely accepted.
3. In third level, there is evidence, largely ignored, that positions and movements of planets as seen from Sun, play a role in the Solar cycle. Furthermore, there is some evidence, highly controvercial but difficult to dismiss, that some positions of the planets as seen from Earth at time of Birth are linked to personality characteristics of individuals.

The interpretation that Dr. Percy Seymour proposes that can be scientifically tested has the following steps:

i.Planets affect the solar cycle in specific ways.
ii.The solar cycle affects the geomagnetic field.
iii.The geomagnetic field affects life on Earth in certain observed ways.
iv.Specifically, many species, including man, can be influenced by particular states of the geomagnetic field.
v.These particular influences appear to correlate with planetary positions.
vi.The behavior of the fetus at the time of birth is linked to cycles within the geomagnetic field, which in turn are influenced by the Solar cycle and positions of the planets. Resonance is the phenomenon by which the fetus is phase-locked to specific cycles.

Dr. Percy Seymour's theory proposes that planets, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune control the direction of the convective motions within the Sun, which generate the solar magnetic field.
Thus, the planets play a role in the modulation of Earth's magnetic field by the solar wind. He is also proposing that the tidal tug of the planets on the hot gases trapped in our magnetosphere will, because of resonance, lock some of the vibrations of the Earth's field in step with planetary movements.
The resulting fluctuations of Earth's field are picked up by the nervous system of the fetus, which acts like an antenna, and these synchronize the internal biological clocks of the fetus which control the moment of birth.
The tuning of the fetal magnetic antenna is carried out by the genes which it inherits, and these to some extent will determine its basic genetically inherited personality characteristic.

(This text contains extensive excerpts from the Book "The scientific basis of Astrology" by Dr. Percy Seymour)

Vasilis Kanatas
Physicist

Last edited:

waybread

The problem with Seymour's theory is that you and I get more electromagnetism from our kitchen appliances than from the planets.

Also Seymour claims only planetary impacts on nativities. Not on all of the other things that astrologers look at. Oh, like transits, progressions, horary, electional charts, and so on. In horoscopic astrology we look at all kinds of things like houses and signs.

Saying that the moon influences tides doesn't say anything about why a woman with the moon in Cancer in the 5th house might be oriented towards having children, or why a man with Venus in Scorpio in the 7th has a reputation for jealousy. Never mind what happens when they experience a heavy transit.

I think that an explanation of astrology has to be an explanation of astrology-- not just on one part of it.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2004/may/18/research.highereducation

Last edited:

AquarianRising

Occam's Razor would render most physics'based explanations such as this too obtuse. A simple mathematical/statistical model would be much more believable and far more likely. To date, no amount of physics-based postulation has resulted in a reasonable theory; they've all been disproved by mainstream science by one means or another, and generally with reasonable and factual arguments. So far, it's been a dead-end pursuit.

And I'm aware that a single mathematician has already attacked the subject from a mathematical angle as well, but where statistics are concerned, it's not difficult to make the numbers dance for you. All I'm saying is somebody should approach it from a neutral attitude.It was never argued that the guy's motive was purely directed at unsubstantiating the subject; most anti-astrology zealots I've talked with won't even bother to deny that when pressed, believing it's simply not necessary to play it safe when they're o convinced of the outcome.