Time to pick a career and get on with life

brookeashley

For the past 4 years in college, its been a phase. 1. Pick Major 2. Feel confident and go for it 3. Change mind and repeat.

I'm a highly creative person but a security freak and afraid of failure. I question the necessity of college.

Does it mean anything that cancer is intercepted in 10th house? Any career suggestions?

Thanks

Attachments

• brith chart.jpg
    brith chart.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 31

JUPITERASC

For the past 4 years in college, its been a phase. 1. Pick Major 2. Feel confident and go for it 3. Change mind and repeat.

I'm a highly creative person but a security freak and afraid of failure. I question the necessity of college.

Does it mean anything that cancer is intercepted in 10th house? Any career suggestions?
Thanks
Using whole sign houses eliminates the mess of intercepted houses http://www.librarising.com/astrology/misc/wholesignhouses.html astro.com has the Extended Chart Selection page which offers a choice from fourteen different house systems, including whole sign houses :smile:

'...In no other area of astrology is there so much mess and confusion than in the area of the so-called "houses". There are at least twenty or thirty different house systems or means of dividing the so-called "birthchart" into twelve segments of life activity. In astrology, houses, mansions, or domains, represent general areas of life activity and are the grounding areas or arenas of expression for planets. Originally, the words "houses" and "signs" were interchangeable or meant the same thing. A planet in Aries was also a planet in the house of Aries, so that in effect. there were no real houses as we know them today....'

'….Artificial divisions now known as houses were attempts by early Greeks and Hindus to measure strength "points" in the horoscope, which during 7th and 8th centuries AD were construed or confused as means of dividing the birth chart. The ascendant and midheaven degrees and their opposites, for example, were definite power points or areas of intense focus, but not necessarily the beginnings of a house or quadrant. In fact, there is no real basis for the astrological houses at all. They derive from a misunderstanding of the true nature of the Ascendant and Midheaven factors in astrology, Ascendant representing Earth/terrestial sphere, and Midheaven representing Sky/Heaven /celestial sphere....'

'...If any house system should be used at all, it should be the Whole Sign House system, where the ascendant sign becomes the whole first house and the others follow. Ascendant point can then fall anywhere in the first house and the midheaven point anywhere in the upper half of the chart. The Whole Sign House system was used by the ancient Greeks and the Hindus(who still use it today). It is the oldest and simplest house system in existence, and immediately eliminates the awful mess astrologers have made on the issue over the last 1300 years or so....'

JUPITERASC

An important factor is your official time of birth
and whether it is accurate or not.
Births are obviously noted AFTER the event,
because the medical team are far more concerned with the health and safety of mother and newborn,
and are not seated at their computers
ready to create an instant natal chart with a precise time :smile:

In general, births are frequently 'rounded up' or 'rounded down' to the nearest half hour/quarter hour/hour
also the person noting the time often simply consults their watch and notes down the time at that particular moment
watches and clocks are frequently either slow or fast

brookeashley

That makes sense. I always have wondered if it was possible that I would be a Libra rising since my virgo is at 28 degrees. Thanks again

JUPITERASC

What would you make of Saturn in 6th house Aquarius Trine Mars in tenth house Gemini?

Since 6th is job and 10th is vocation, correct?
Trines in general are supportive
In this case Mars in 10th is located in one of Mercury's home signs
- Mercury's other home sign is Virgo

Mars has great influence on matters of career
however, Mercury is a factor also
:smile:

JUPITERASC

That makes sense. I always have wondered if it was possible that I would be a Libra rising since my virgo is at 28 degrees. Thanks again
Libra rising is a definite possibility since you may well have been born leight minutes - or more - LATER than your official time of birth :smile:

JUPITERASC

Useful at this stage to check the Sun, Moon and Ascendant of your parents
as their Sun, Moon, Ascendant or other angle
could be Virgo/Pisces or Libra/Aries

brookeashley

My mom has her sun in Pisces, Moon in Aries, and Libra rising.
Dad is Sun in Taurus, moon in Taurus or Aries. Not sure about the rising sign unfortunately.
Sister has a sun in Libra, Moon in Aries, Leo rising. If Dad had an Aries sign, that would be a lot of Aries moons.
I have a Capricorn moon, don't know any Capricorns in the family. My parents moon signs are right around that Taurus, Aries cusp. Aunt has Aries moon.
No virgo, some Libra. Could very well be Libra.
What would you say the chart shows as far as career?

M

may28gemini

I think all college graduates generally have a crisis because now they're on their own and need to find work, most are very concerned about having a "career" but are concerned with how? where? why? sorts of questions. It's a lot of pressure to handle.

I think what you're going through is very normal and not really astrologically related but cultural.

Gemini Mars in 10th house (Whole Signs) is the mark of a communicator, writer, newsperson, lawyer. Mars in 10th more of a "boss" placement or someone who definitely needs to have their way at work... competitive, aggressive, someone well known to be an expert at being good at their job.

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

My mom has her sun in Pisces, Moon in Aries, and Libra rising.
Dad is Sun in Taurus, moon in Taurus or Aries. Not sure about the rising sign unfortunately.
Sister has a sun in Libra, Moon in Aries, Leo rising. If Dad had an Aries sign, that would be a lot of Aries moons.
I have a Capricorn moon, don't know any Capricorns in the family. My parents moon signs are right around that Taurus, Aries cusp. Aunt has Aries moon.
No virgo, some Libra. Could very well be Libra.
What would you say the chart shows as far as career?
ASSUMING that you given time of birth is accurate
THEN

The Elemental Quality of the Ascendant Sign which indicates the type of Primary Motivation of the native is VIRGO - EARTH ELEMENT

Earth Element needs physical security

Virgo is one of the MUTABLE Signs
Mutable signs vacillate

The Ruler of the Ascendant by house position highlights the area of life in which the individual will seek to realize their Primary Motivation

VIRGO is one of the Traditional homes of MERCURY

Mercury is located in the 11th house
So the individual vacillates in seeking physical security via 11th house matters

11th house matters include

'….Main Rulerships: Traditionally known as the 'house of Good Fortune', the 11th house has rulership over friends and friendship, supporters, benefactors and those that help us directly or behind the scenes.

11th is the house of beneficial fate, positive hope, trust, praise, comfort, goals and ambitions.

Its condition indicates the fidelity or falseness of friends and it has rulership over promotion by recommendation of others.

It is a house of ambition, freedom, optimism and confidence, denoting personal strength, motivation and increase.
A fortunate 11th house is a beneficial influence for any chart....'
http://www.skyscript.co.uk/temples/h11.html :smile:

brookeashley

I agree with you 100% May28Gemini, I just was looking for guidance/ideas through my natal chart. And that does describe me well, I don't take orders well and I love writing, there is just no security in that field. Thanks!

brookeashley

Jupiter, Thanks for your insight. I was reading online about 11th house matters and one website said "...income derived from self-employment or career" http://www.astrologycom.com/11th.html as an 11th house matter. I find that interesting because of what May28thGemini posted about being self employed as far as mars in 10th.
Since the planets have moved to different houses using the whole house system, everything fits me better that I'm researching. Thanks for both of your help!

M

may28gemini

Since 11th has no planets, and cancers ruling planet is moon which is placed in fifth, what significance would that have?

Probably expression of MC is by way of a structural/systematic art (since it's Cap Moon and that's in the Moon's detriment). It's not going to pure loosey goosey art like interpretive art or whatever, maybe something like architecture would be a good example of what I mean by structural art. Could be an instructor of some sort. Interior decorator? Match making coach? Basically, there needs to be rhyme and reason that serves a useful purpose.

Krewster

Might not be a "...phase..." Brooke.

Your Merc can be fickle (57 min-loose 16 harmonic "red" aspect to Uran) and w Mars in Gem lying in a tighter 16 harmonic aspect to your Sun, there'll be fundamental changeability which likely tires out your Sun (itself already vacillating between the urge to fight upwards -90 to Pluto- and the security/failure concerns you mentioned -180 to the Sun).

But you've plenty of mental juice for any writing career due to Merc being in novile type aspects to the Moon, Jup and Nep (and even though ranked in reverse order to orb strength, suggesting your bent for fiction, don't forget the non-fiction writing world is probably huger than you think in proportion to fiction and, therefore, represents a better bread basket for your security concerns).

JUPITERASC

Since 11th has no planets, and cancers ruling planet is moon which is placed in fifth, what significance would that have?
Traditionally, each Sign has an Exalted ruler as well
Jupiter is Cancer's Exalted ruler

Therefore
Moon
as well as
Jupiter
are involved with/have an influence on 11th house matters
and bring the agenda of the houses they rule
to those 11th house matters

waybread

I do modern astrology including modern sign rulerships-- and actually a lot of the old traditionalists used unequal house systems, as well. I think intercepted planets-in-signs have real meaning, but less for intercepted signs with no planets involved. Mercury is the planet ruling your 10th house cusp, and it generally suggests a career that uses your mind in some way, vs. physical work.

You do have intercepted planets in the sign of Capricorn: Uranus, Neptune, and the moon. The moon rules your feelings, and by its astronomical nature the moon is always changing; so this three-planet combo could give you very changeable moods.

Planets in intercepted signs can be boxed in, in some way. They can have plenty of creative talent (moon-Neptune) but difficulty in expressing it with a strong sense of "flow." So you may have a rich imaginative life, yet some barriers to expressing it in an outward, consistent way.

With respect to your major, it is best to think through in terms of the type of career you see yourself doing, say, 10 years from now; as well as the kind of home life you need to be happy. (No, this doesn't necessarily mean extreme wealth, as a Capricorn moon in the 4th might be happy without a lot of "stuff" and with the concept of down-downshifting.)

You don't indicate whether or not you are racking up student loans, but today this has to be part of many students' career determination. You can also nail down more completely what "job security" really means to you. There is a lot of information on-line about the jobs that pay well today. I haven't checked the top ten lately, but health-care is a growing field that is likely to be even more important, for example. A lot of students have artistic talent, yet most professional artists need a day-job to stay solvent. Even well-selling artists find that the arts market swings with the economy, so these are all things to keep in mind.

You also may suffer from crises of self-confidence, with Chiron conjunct your sun and Saturn opposite Mercury. So just realize that this can hit you from time to time, thank these feelings for "sharing" and go on to do what you say you are going to do.

If you really don't know why you are in school, it isn't a bad idea to request a leave-of-absence and to take some time off to work or travel while you sort out your future. College is just too expensive these days to spend it on a field that doesn't suit you; and then if you do discover your vocation, you may have to put in more than four years to complete it.

With Mercury, ruler of your 10th house cusp of career, in your 11th house, you would probably be happiest working for a large organization. In this "house of friends" you probably want to feel that your co-workers are a friendly bunch of people.

So what comes to my mind, anyway, is something to do with health care. This doesn't automatically mean hands-on patient care like nursing or physiotherapy, although Virgo rising can be good at this. You might look at health care administration, health insurance, or similar collateral fields. The 12th house rules hospitals, and you've got both Jupiter and Venus there, with Jupiter ruling your second house of money. Your sun conjunct Chiron can mean "it hurts to be you" but it can also confer huge amounts of compassion for other people less fortunate than yourself.

I wonder, also, with your strong Leo nature, if you would enjoy something in the hospitality (not hospital!) industry, like event plannning for a hotel or resort. This way you could be creative without having to be self-employed. With your strong 4th house nature, you might alternatively turn your artistic nature to commercial art and design.

I think once you visualize yourself in your ideal job 10-12 years from now, you can determine what sort of major will best send you on your way there.