Proving astrology infront of skeptics.

DofS

Hey everyone,

I'm sick of people picking on astrology saying its just generalizations. How can I prove astrology infront of their faces? What can I tell them that astrology is actually authentic?

thanks

Nexus7

There was a book written by Garry Phillipson, called 'Astrology in the Year Zero' that looks at these issues, though he consensus is that astrology is extemely difficult to 'prove.'

But if the scientific paradigm is limited, even skewed, you could be barking uo the wrong tree. Scientists, it seems, to not always play fair either, in the game of trying to 'prove' astrology.

Richard Tarnas has something to say on the issues of paradigm - try checking for all these writers on the net.

Also, try looking for work done by the Gauquelins.

cindylou

To me, the biggest argument that skeptics have is that the constellations aren't actually in that place in the sky anymore, because of the tilt of the earths axis. I like to point out that Eastern astrology, does use the actual constellations as they are currently. Unfortunately, people will believe what they want and really don't listen no matter what you say.

EJ53

Banned
DofS said:
How can I prove astrology infront of their faces? What can I tell them that astrology is actually authentic?

The proof of the pudding is in the eating........Produce concrete examples of past "events" from charts of someone they know well but you do not know at all.......Without that kind of "evidence" (to which they can relate personally), you haven't a hope of convincing the skeptics.

EJ:)

R4VEN

I agree with EJ. Most skeptics are very attached to their position - like a fundamentalist religion. I used to feel shattered when others questioned astrology, but now I no longer care. Each to his/her own.

One of my brothers stops me in my tracks whenever I even mention astrology by saying:`I don't believe in astrology'. My private thought is usually: `Spoken like a true Aries with Aries rising - thinks he's in control of it all!!' and then I move on. I recognise he is also very fearful that he may learn something which disputes his set belief system.

Fear is generally the reason skeptical people are as they are, and you can use a lot of energy in fighting this fear in others - and still get nowhere.

I also believe that when you/we truly believe in the truth of astrology, then we have no need to `prove' it to anyone, skeptic or otherwise.

lillyjgc

Senior Member, Educational board Editor
I just ask them if they believe we are impacted upon by the sun/. If it's a woman, I point out the relationship between the moon and our menstrual cycles. Not to mention *the tides*!.Most people are aware of the lunacy that goes on in the world around the Full moon. It is widely documented in psych institutions, prisons and even the hotels. etc. I ask them *Why would only two planets affect us and not the others?*
If they show any interest at this point, I can continue with a discussion of quantum physics and electromagnetic fields etc (bamboozle them with science!;) ) and if they are looking glazed over by then,:) I just leave it.
At best you can only sow seeds and ask questions. If it arouses their curiosity, they can look more into it.
It's not our role as astrologers to convert people to the *the faith* so to speak. There's enough information around for people to explore it of their own accord.Some will. Some won't.
Cheers
Lillyjgc

Von

I was asked to give a talk to a group of people , many who simply did not understand what astrology had to offer and it proved very rewarding for myself, especially after, the reponse has been positive and one of the things I mentioned was how it helped to understand others better and especially your children (That got quite a few parents interested). But the only way to "prove" it, if you really feel you have to, is to give them a chart reading, otherwise who cares because we all know how rewarding and accurate it can be. I think the more peaceful you are with it and continue on this path, eventualy those around you get more and more curious and just have to know more.

R4VEN

Von said:
I think the more peaceful you are with it and continue on this path, eventualy those around you get more and more curious and just have to know more.
Right on, Von!! This has generally been my experience.

Ekim86

boy oh boy. Man I felt like a crusader when astrology first proved itself to me. Kinda the wrong appoach. Preaching bores alot of people. but it happens sometimes with my sag sun and mercury trine jupiter. Now a days I deal with skeptics in a different way. I give them some words that corresponde to there sun sign for starters this way I dont make there minds self destruct. And I mention a few things about the suns role, keep it basic. but mention the roles and importance of the other planets. I was talking to a girl about a month ago. She said she was a libra so I mentioned a few pros and cons. Her face was so scorpio. So in my mind i figured out around what time she was born around so and so. And she responded "I was born around that time!" Man those moments really make ur heart smile. Guessing the ascendant would be a good way to opens someones mind to astrology. But then again it can easily back fire in ur face. Scorpio risings and Virgo rising seem very easy to spot. And will only comment on a time if i think its one or the other. Aleister Crowley would get about 9 out of 10 birthtimes very close to the actual time. And he said in his book that he beleave people would become better then him at it. I use the case when evangline adams went to court for "fortune telling" and they drew her a chart in court and she was asked to tell them who it was. She said it was the judges son. And then the case was close. She proved astrology in a court of law. but somehow we learn about roe vs wayd in school rather then this lol. The skeptics usually seem to be the ones that dont beleave in a god, sometimes the ones that do beleave in god are very ignorant to astrology. my friends grandpa is a catholic leo. yup. but i guess the story of the magi never happen. lol also there are the ones who are all about free will. so astrology cant happen in the eyes. For those people I just mention my opinion on free will. To me Free will would be me doing nothing but Fate seems to be your best. If they have questions I will try to answer them but I will lay down that Astrology is my spiritual practice and I dont apprecaite it if someone is ignorant and disrespectful to it. Ignorance is a thick wall to breech sometimes. So we may want to leave those people nestled safely in there hideouts. Its the dawn of the age of aquarius so hopefully alot of people will start finding astrology.