Jupiter and what makes us happy

Lin

"I find joy when I indulge in material possessions" - you don't say where you Venus is, what aspects it makes....
and....don't forget the 2nd house of possessions is naturally ruled by Venus.
LIN

Lin

Gray, you said,

"I don't know how to be happy, really. I know what it is to not be happy but being happy is a difficult proposal."

I would really like to see your chart.

BTW, for anyone with prominent Virgo, part of happiness is knowing that life is in some ways, predictable and not chaotic.
Virgo is the "fixer" and Virgo is almost always happy when "fixing" something broken.

But anyway, I'd like to see your chart.
LIN

AppLeo

"I find joy when I indulge in material possessions" - you don't say where you Venus is, what aspects it makes....
and....don't forget the 2nd house of possessions is naturally ruled by Venus.
LIN

I have Venus in Cancer in the 6th house, sextile to Moon, sextile to Saturn, trine MC, and conjunct Mars.

graay ghost

Gray, you said,

"I don't know how to be happy, really. I know what it is to not be happy but being happy is a difficult proposal."

I would really like to see your chart.

BTW, for anyone with prominent Virgo, part of happiness is knowing that life is in some ways, predictable and not chaotic.
Virgo is the "fixer" and Virgo is almost always happy when "fixing" something broken.

But anyway, I'd like to see your chart.
LIN

I would not really consider Virgo to be prominent in mine. It's not really what I would consider a happy chart, either.

Though I suppose that would explain th "post-accomplishment depression" that nobody else around me seems able to understand.

craft94

But here's the thing. If one can conveniently change over to the other zodiac if the placements don't align with "personality", what is the basis of using any of them at all? There are also differences between the tropical and sidereal versions of the sign, that seem to do the job of explaining the same traits with different language. Saying that, I actually see myself quite clearly in my current tropical chart. The nakshatras are also very enlightening.

To answer your question, in sidereal I have a Scorpio Sun, Mercury and Jupiter (and pluto). I still have a Sagittarius asc with Mars and Venus conjunct. 12th house planets are Sun, Merc, and Pluto. (the rest are conjunct the asc)

Personally, a 12th house Sun doesn't sound very happy to me, no matter what sign it's in. The 12th house isn't a very happy place to me.

In another thread, I forget which one, you made a post about how each sign functions differently in the different houses. You gave the example that a 9th house Pisces would cause the spiritual side of Pisces to come out while a 5th house Pisces would cause the fun-loving side of Pisces and an 8th house Pisces would cause the more self-sacrificing side to Pisces. I agree with this view. I would imagine a 12th house Sagittarius would be the spiritual, more exploratory (particularly in relation to all that is hidden including magic, astrology, etc.) side to Sag, a 5th house Sagittarius may be the more "happy" fun loving type.

sylph

I honestly don't understand how Jupiter is happiness; like others have posited, I find Jupiter to simply be expansion. Even though my natal Jupiter is combust, I've felt the expansive energies of Jupiter in transit and a lot of times it's not been pretty. Jupiter conjunct and opposite my natal Venus in transit led to me getting involved in horrific relationships, like what even..

And Jupiter is in Libra again this year (back to the sign of my natal Venus) and so far, it's been expectedly annoying. Whatever Venus issues I have just seem to get amplified by this transit.

katydid

I honestly don't understand how Jupiter is happiness; like others have posited, I find Jupiter to simply be expansion. Even though my natal Jupiter is combust, I've felt the expansive energies of Jupiter in transit and a lot of times it's not been pretty. Jupiter conjunct and opposite my natal Venus in transit led to me getting involved in horrific relationships, like what even..

And Jupiter is in Libra again this year (back to the sign of my natal Venus) and so far, it's been expectedly annoying. Whatever Venus issues I have just seem to get amplified by this transit.

Rex E Bills is considered, by many, to be the authority upon 'rulerships. He says that 'happiness' is Jupiter, Venus, and 5th house.

I totally understand why Jupiter would indicate happiness. Here are some of the things ruled by Jupiter:

auspiciousness, benefactors, betterment, cheerfulness, charitable actions, compensation, contributions, devotion, donations, higher education, endowments, enhancements, enthusiasm, esteem, etiquette, excellence, extravagance, faith, fairness, good fortune, fruitfulness, generosity, genuineness, glory, goodness, good will, gratitude, growth, happiness, harmony in life, harvests, honesty, honor, hope, hospitality, humor, idealism, integrity, joviality, jubilation, judiciousness, lavishness, legitimacy, loyalty, luck, luxury, mercy, mirth, optimism, philanthropy, plenty, politeness, praise, prestige, principles, profit, prosperity, protection, purity, quality, redemption, religion, restitution, reverence, riches ,serenity, sincerity, sociability, spirituality, successes, temperance, trust, truthfulness, values, virtue, vindication, verifications, vows, wealth, wisdom, worthiness

If someone has just some of the above qualities/circumstances/virtues, then they would probably be considered HAPPY....:smile:

craft94

Rex E Bills is considered, by many, to be the authority upon 'rulerships. He says that 'happiness' is Jupiter, Venus, and 5th house.

I totally understand why Jupiter would indicate happiness. Here are some of the things ruled by Jupiter:

auspiciousness, benefactors, betterment, cheerfulness, charitable actions, compensation, contributions, devotion, donations, higher education, endowments, enhancements, enthusiasm, esteem, etiquette, excellence, extravagance, faith, fairness, good fortune, fruitfulness, generosity, genuineness, glory, goodness, good will, gratitude, growth, happiness, harmony in life, harvests, honesty, honor, hope, hospitality, humor, idealism, integrity, joviality, jubilation, judiciousness, lavishness, legitimacy, loyalty, luck, luxury, mercy, mirth, optimism, philanthropy, plenty, politeness, praise, prestige, principles, profit, prosperity, protection, purity, quality, redemption, religion, restitution, reverence, riches ,serenity, sincerity, sociability, spirituality, successes, temperance, trust, truthfulness, values, virtue, vindication, verifications, vows, wealth, wisdom, worthiness

If someone has just some of the above qualities/circumstances/virtues, then they would probably be considered HAPPY....:smile:

I can just say - for me,
Jupiter transits coincide with mania
Saturn transits coincide with depression

conspiracy theorist

Personally, a 12th house Sun doesn't sound very happy to me, no matter what sign it's in. The 12th house isn't a very happy place to me.

The 12th wasn't pegged "House of Bad Daemon" for nothing.

In another thread, I forget which one, you made a post about how each sign functions differently in the different houses. You gave the example that a 9th house Pisces would cause the spiritual side of Pisces to come out while a 5th house Pisces would cause the fun-loving side of Pisces and an 8th house Pisces would cause the more self-sacrificing side to Pisces. I agree with this view. I would imagine a 12th house Sagittarius would be the spiritual, more exploratory (particularly in relation to all that is hidden including magic, astrology, etc.) side to Sag, a 5th house Sagittarius may be the more "happy" fun loving type.

I remember saying it but I forgot which thread too. it's what I notice in my chart reads. Another one that I see is Cancer in 3rd (with planets therein) seem to indicate someone with writing interests.

graay ghost

I remember saying it but I forgot which thread too. it's what I notice in my chart reads. Another one that I see is Cancer in 3rd (with planets therein) seem to indicate someone with writing interests.

I kind of expect Cancer in 3rd is more of a moody lunarian artist, while 5 dotes on children and 10 is the fiercely protective one. I don't know.

conspiracy theorist

I kind of expect Cancer in 3rd is more of a moody lunarian artist, while 5 dotes on children and 10 is the fiercely protective one. I don't know.

Those are pretty good descriptors - I'd say 10th sign cancer placements might bring out the cardinal leadership that people think Cancers are incapable of.

belabismo

I feel like this is all a matter of semantics. I think a concept like happiness can mean so many different things. To me, it seems like 5th house is leisure and sex and therefore fleeting happiness without much deep meaning. Venus is how we express our love so perhaps it's fitting to say it represents joy? Jupiter is deep satisfaction knowing you're fulfilling your life's purpose. And I'm sure having these houses/planets afflicted would lead to difficulty feeling happy/satisfied.

My Jupiter is in Virgo in 12th, one positive trine to Sun in 8th. Only aspect to my Sun, aside from conjunction to Eros if that counts. Afflicted Venus, Saturn in 5th.

conspiracy theorist

One thing I like to do is to look at charts that encapsulate the topic under discussion. It brings home all these placements where they matter (to us) i.e. on Earth.

Here are a few persons who come immediately to my mind who have Jupiter prominent/powerful in their chart. (either because of rulership and/or because of prominence)

http://www.astro.com/astro-databank/Luciano,_Lucky
http://www.astro.com/astro-databank/Beethoven,_Ludwig_Van
http://www.astro.com/astro-databank/Ramirez,_Ricardo
http://www.astro.com/astro-databank/Gacy,_John_Wayne
http://www.astro.com/astro-databank/Pope_Benedict_XVI

For those who aren't familiar, I only use traditional rulerships.

While I'm hearing what Jupiter tends to be associated with (and I don't disagree per se) when I look at charts of these people and I look into their lives, the only level of happiness that I would see applying to these people are the strength of purpose that they pursue their "passion"/goals. I see the self-belief, I see the expansion, I see the exploration, I even see the "success". Ratzinger became the embodiment of a Jupiter archetype on Earth- befitting someone with it conjunct the ascendant and domicile. Beethoven and Lucky definitely "thought big" and aimed high at difficult goals, and they ended up hitting the mark. Even in the case of Gacy and Ramirez, they were exploratory and expansive in a totally different way, we also see the "highly sexed" nature of Jupiter coming forward.

What I'm trying to get at is, what does "Happiness" mean in the context of Jupiter - and I don't mean a simple association but what "state" is descriptive of "happiness" - and do these people seem to have this happiness as a fixture, or even a serious pursuit of their lives?

ETA: At one point I tried to trawl the ADB to find out the significance of Pluto in actual charts - I remember seeing it prominent in inventors (go figure). What I ended up picking upon was that Sagittarius seemed to be a prominent sign in those under the "highly creative" category. It was by no means a strict look though so no declarations here, but it did bring to mind Jupiter and it's prolific qualities.

Last edited:

kahtiel

That's really interesting. I don't think I'll have relationship problems since I've never had to worry about someone wanting a relationship with me, but I've been wondering why this year has felt so rough. Jupiter isn't far enough to conjunct my natal venus yet, but it is transiting my natal 12th house.

Lin

Hi Graay,
Looking at your chart I can see very EASILY the thing about post success letdown!

The grand cross (esp. incl. Merc) is SO difficult. And in fixed signs.....it's hard to laugh at oneself. Which is really important for fixed signs.

You have some very nice aspects....but they are offset (psychologically) by the squares which also are involved. For instance: Pluto trine Sun, Mars trine Uranus -Neptune.
Pluto is in the grand cross....Mars is in the grand cross....

But...you DO have Uranus, Neptune and Moon trine Jupiter....which just goes to show that Jupiter does not automatically make you happy.

Venus in your chart is at the last degree of Cancer...in Neptune's decanate. So Venus is sort of disconnected. You have to wait until there's a good transit to Venus to activate that.

But...I think you probably began to experience that let down - let's call it - in childhood. Perhaps you didn't get the validation and positive reinforcement you needed from the adults in your life. Maybe the opposite. Whatever you did was not quite good enough for praise?
Are you male or female?
LIN

graay ghost

Hi Graay,
Looking at your chart I can see very EASILY the thing about post success letdown!

The grand cross (esp. incl. Merc) is SO difficult. And in fixed signs.....it's hard to laugh at oneself. Which is really important for fixed signs.

You have some very nice aspects....but they are offset (psychologically) by the squares which also are involved. For instance: Pluto trine Sun, Mars trine Uranus -Neptune.
Pluto is in the grand cross....Mars is in the grand cross....

But...you DO have Uranus, Neptune and Moon trine Jupiter....which just goes to show that Jupiter does not automatically make you happy.

Venus in your chart is at the last degree of Cancer...in Neptune's decanate. So Venus is sort of disconnected. You have to wait until there's a good transit to Venus to activate that.

But...I think you probably began to experience that let down - let's call it - in childhood. Perhaps you didn't get the validation and positive reinforcement you needed from the adults in your life. Maybe the opposite. Whatever you did was not quite good enough for praise?
Are you male or female?
LIN

Nah, it's much simpler than that, really. When you're done with something you worked long and hard at, there's the result, sure. But there's also this massive void in your life where all your time and effort used to go. And that void is the more important part, that's felt much more deeply than any accomplishment. I got well enough praise. It just falls on deaf ears.

Lin

Graay,
you said, "Nah, it's much simpler than that, really. When you're done with something you worked long and hard at, there's the result, sure. But there's also this massive void in your life where all your time and effort used to go. And that void is the more important part, that's felt much more deeply than any accomplishment. I got well enough praise. It just falls on deaf ears"

you use the word "you" when you meant "I". Most people get satisfaction once they have completed a job or even put a lot of work and effort into it although NOT complete.
YOUR experience is a reflection of the patterns in your psyche.

If you prefer I don't comment (or that anyone comment) you can say so.

HOwever, because YOU can't find the dynamics astrologically in your chart that cause this response or lack of, please don't state that they aren't there. They are there.
You and your chart are mirrors of each other. Your birth chart is the schematic of your psyche. It doesn't lie.
LIN

katydid

Is English your native language?

So I think I have told you before that you always really make me laugh---like laugh out loud when I see your wry retorts...

So I just now looked more closely at your chart, and I have the Moon @ 3 Cap also, and I have 21Taurus rising, also.

I also have a fixed grand square that fits closely to yours....:alien:

Anyway, not really earth shattering, but I think interesting that I totally get your sense of humor and it makes me laugh every time...:sideways: