Peregrine Planets and Chart Rulership

Munch

I am still quite new to Natal Astrology and have been slowly piecing together my chart interpretation, but of course I have some questions about it and am hoping that someone can help me better understand what's what.

From what I can ascertain about about my chart, it looks as if almost ALL of my planets are peregrine and I am curious what this means. As a Capricorn woman, I admit that I FEEL very Capricorn, but what I feel doesn't really seem to translate into what I DO. I struggle with finding ways to use the abundance of Cardinal energy in my chart. I struggle with focus, and I wonder if the abundance of Peregrine planets might have something to do with this.

Secondly, I am unclear about my chart rulership. It appears that both Venus in Sagittarius and Jupiter in Libra are co-rulers, however they are both directly influencing (as far as I can tell) my Saturn in Libra (conjunct the ascendant) which is then exerting energy on my sun in Capricorn via a square. And finally, Saturn is exalted in Libra which should provide it with more strength, so does it then trump the Venus/Jupiter duo?

Very confusing for me, lol. Any help or insight would be appreciated! Thank you!

Attachments

• astro_2k_01_lila_wilson.59903.12011.gif
    astro_2k_01_lila_wilson.59903.12011.gif
    60.3 KB · Views: 46

wilsontc

Staff member
least aspected planet, to Munch

Munch,

You said:
it looks as if almost ALL of my planets are peregrine...I FEEL very Capricorn, but what I feel doesn't really seem to translate into what I DO. I struggle with finding ways to use the abundance of Cardinal energy in my chart. I struggle with focus...I am unclear about my chart rulership. It appears that both Venus in Sagittarius and Jupiter in Libra are co-rulers

No planets in your chart are completely unaspected (or, as Noel Tyl calls it "peregrine") and there is only one least aspected planet (planet with only one aspect): :uranus: (friends, also rebellion). This suggests you do not "connect in" to rebellion in your life and so may OVERrebel. This is "at odds" with your :capricorn: energy which "wants" stability and structure in life. You also have :neptune: (spirituality, also confusion) in your thinking house, indicating you may be a little confused in your thinking and tend to take a "spiritual approach" to your thoughts.

The "chart ruler" of a chart is the planet that rules the sign on the Ascendant of the chart. :libra: is on your Ascendant, and :venus: rules :libra: so :venus: is your "chart ruler.

The biggest challenge you have is your :northnode: (future goals) is in the duty (also career) house and the outer world self-expression house and is WAY outside where the planets are focused in your chart. This indicates you need to step WAY outside your comfort zone to do what you need to do: develop a career and become a humanitarian.

Charting,

Tim

Last edited:

Munch

Wow! Thank you soooo much. That makes way more sense to me. I obviously need to go back and review my literature. Thank you for the lesson.:happy:

I do take a spiritual approach to EVERYTHING. Not that I always get it 'right,' but I do at least think about my actions and thoughts, and if they are in line with my higher vision for myself.

Still, not sure about the whole career thing though. I've taken HUGE steps outside my comfort zone only to be thrown back on my tush scratching my head trying to figure out what I did 'wrong.' The most recent example was a volunteer trip I was to make abroad starting in June that I sank $3000 into, subsequently lost my job, the volcano blew, and it was a holiday weekend here in the states so the airfare skyrocketed to $4500 so I was unable to go. I was then denied my unemployment and had to have my dad pay my rent (first time ever) with only two days before eviction and was forced to take a part time job making literally half of what I was before. I have to be perfectly honest, it really made/makes me question the laws of attraction and karma (on a conscious level) though my intuition tells me that they are at play here. Oh yeah and at the same time a very significant love left my life. Anyway, all this to say, I stepped out HUGE in an effort to make a humanitarian contribution and have landed in the poor house, been left with a broken heart and feeling very disillusioned.

Sound like a Saturn Return? lol. :eek:

Munch

I havent decided one way or the other. I have been reading a book that appears to take an amorphous approach. I went back and re-read the chapter on peregrine planets and it definitely follows a traditional approach. I dont have the book with me at the moment, but will post it later today, so perhaps someone that's read it can give me some insight about it.

BobZemco

I have been reading a book that appears to take an amorphous approach.

That's probably not a good idea. Classical and Modern don't mix because Modern takes a pyscho-babble approach. Ooops! I really hate it when that happens.

Classical and Modern don't mix because Modern takes a Jungian-Freudian approach to chart interpretation which is more psychoanalytical.

Using the Classical approach, three of your Planets, Mercury, Venus and the Sun are Peregrine because they hold no essential dignity in the degrees they are in.

All of your Planets form Ptolemaic Aspects.

Peregrine Planets that are not afflicted tend to wander with no clear direction. Look at the Peregrine Venus in your 5th House ruling your Ascendant and then reflect back on 5th House affairs and see if that fits you.

Secondly, I am unclear about my chart rulership.

Then I'd guess you'd hate me if I told you to go find your Final Dispositor (I couldn't resist...not all charts will have a Final Dispositor...so if you don't have one don't fret).

dr. farr

With due regard to the ancients, I myself have come to reject the doctrine of peregrine planets-I have never PERSONALLY seen these alleged effects in actual practice; too often, when a planet is supposedly "peregrine", if the monomoiria (by zodion) or decan or duodenary or duodenary-term (Manilius) or antiscion ramification or Pauline dodekatemorion ramification, is examined, it often turns out that an essential dignity is found after all. I do consider dignity and debility factors when attempting to gauge relative planetary influence, but I do not take the peregrine factor into account, because (in my little mind) I consider it to be a fiction.
I am neither a "modernist" nor a "traditionalist" in outlook, so I am not coming from either an apriori "pro" or "anti" theoretical/dogmatic point of view regarding the peregrine concept.

(Please note that the above is merely my personal opinion based upon my own studies and experiences)

Last edited:

Munch

Once again, thank you to everyone for your imput. The book in question is 'Understanding The Birth Chart, A comprehensive Guide to Classical Interpretation' by Kevin Burk.
I also realize now that he was making some comparisons between modern astrology and classical, NOT using both.

Bob Z, Venus is in my 3rd house, but I understand what you are saying and I am going to step right out and say, that I dont believe I have a Final Dispositor unless it's Saturn. Classical interpretation seems a bit convoluded to me. My brain has a difficult time grasping all of the different little 'bits' in the puzzle. lol.

EJ, thank you for pointing me towards clarifying my issue. :)

EJ53

Banned
Final Dispositors and Chart Rulership

...I dont believe I have a Final Dispositor unless it's Saturn...
There cannot be a Final Dispositor unless one (and only one) planet is in a sign that it rules...nor if any planets are in mutual reception...(You have no planet in it's own sign, and your Jupiter/Venus are in mutual reception).

For chart rulership, I use the (modern) "rule" that the planet ruling the sign on the Ascendant also rules the chart...except when another planet is in the first house + within 5 degrees of the Ascendant, or in the 12th house + within 3 degrees of the Ascendant...(When more than one planet meets the latter criteria, I opt for the one closest to the Ascendant...If that still leaves more than one planet in competition, I'd then give preference to a first house placement and (if there is still more than one vying for rulership) I'd consider the strength of each by sign/house/aspect.)

Thus, in your case Munch, my method would give chart rulership to Saturn...but the sign placements (and Venus/Jupiter mutual reception) make it a tough call...So, I'd probably resort (in practice) to asking you which of these three planets you identify with most strongly...(as that is the most reliable indicator of a chart ruler).

[Note : With ascending signs that have both a traditional and modern ruler, my experience is that the traditional ruler will be the initial chart ruler...with the modern ruler taking over only if/when the individual achieves the astrological/spiritual maturity to begin responding "non-generationally" to the influences Uranus/Neptune/Pluto.]

EJ

Munch

Hmm, interesting. I have to admit, I am at a bit of a loss. I figured it came down to those three planets, but honestly, I feel like I the energy is very evenly distributed between them all. Still, I'd suppose it to be Venus when all is said and done. Based on the Mutual reception, and being the ruler of my decanter and it being my the ruler of my rising sign.

However, the Venus influence is very heavily entwined with my Neptune and Moon energy. The pursuit of the highest love is what calls me strongest, and thus often makes the pursuit of the personal love more than a bit difficult.

catastrophe

I'd be curious how the house placement would affect him as opposed to MY house placement. :happy:

Well all I know is with my boyfriend's peregrine, it definitely puts him into the mindframe of "Don't ask, don't care, I'd rather not hear about it" in most (emotionally charged) situations.. lol

Munch

Interesting. My moon in Sag. is placed in my 3rd house of communication and conscious thought. My issue is the exact opposite. I will talk about how I am feeling but I will also intellectualize it too. Instead of allowing myself to feel my feelings, I assess them, then compartmentalize and if I have 'no use' for them, then I discard/bury them.