Ukpoohbear thread appreciation!

Ukpoohbear

What are toasties?

They’re toasted sandwiches basically, usually with a meat and cheese or cheese and onion and sometimes baked beans and cheese. It’s pretty much a staple diet for us Brits, even before panini.

I actually don't like baked beans. I find them too sweet, and the wrong kind of sweet.

We have both cilantro and coriander. Cilantro is the leafy plant. Coriander is its seed, which is usually sold ground. They both come from the same plant.

Are they both called coriander in the UK?

I’m starting to think there has been a huge lack of cultural diversity in Britain especially in formative years and also a huge amount of processed food because if you find beans too sweet, baked beans would not be called sweet here. Unless you have an unusually healthy diet compared to other Americans?

I also didn’t know that Cilantro was the leaf and coriander the seed because to me Coriander is always ground up, I think maybe coriander leaves are used as a garnish on top of soup sometimes, like carrot and coriander but as far as I know we don’t use it to cook with.

You are a herbalist mind you. It’s only really recently Britain is becoming accustomed to being a foodie nation I guess. But this is coming from just my perspective.

My staples are cumin, ginger, coriander and then also use chilli, Italian herbs, mustard powder for my cheese sauce, depending on what I’m cooking and then tomato and garlic purée. This will be expanding with the humour diet no doubt though.

Dirius

You drink a glass of olive oil per day and are telling her to avoid a little homemade tofu? :devil:

Vata can't tolerate that much oil, by the way.

Tofu is terrible for you. It contains phytoestrogens which can cause breast cancer, and goitrogenics which affect the thyroid. It also contains a high number of antinutrients. All of these are common compounds of unfermented soy products.

While It does have some nutritious value, its nothing spectacular that can't be gained from other sources. Unfermented soy is terrible for your body and should be avoided at all costs. Its one of the unhealthiest foods in the planet.

Ukpoohbear

Personally I'm not a vegan, and I'm a happy meat eater. But I try to only eat meat in the weekend, and most of my diet is leafy greens, fruit, carrots and walnuts (lots of walnuts). And lots of eggs too. Oh... and I would avoid soy products if I were you, those are terrible for your body.

You drink a glass of olive oil per day and are telling her to avoid a little homemade tofu? :devil:

Vata can't tolerate that much oil, by the way.

Soy products are also not recommended in the humour black bile diet. Olive oil is recommended, which is different from Vata.

And yeah, Seitan being made from wheat and linked to soy may not be so healthy, I wonder if there is an alternative, I might have to ask in the vegan group I’m in for a non-wheat alternative, to be on the safe side. I eat bread fine, that I know of unless it’s causing the symptoms.

I’ve made homemade veggie sausages before but it’s been made from (processed) vegetarian mince.

Ukpoohbear

Tofu is terrible for you. It contains phytoestrogens which can cause breast cancer, and goitrogenics which affect the thyroid. It also contains a high number of antinutrients. All of these are common compounds of unfermented soy products.

While It does have some nutritious value, its nothing spectacular that can't be gained from other sources. Unfermented soy is terrible for your body and should be avoided at all costs. Its one of the unhealthiest foods in the planet.

I’ve previously been following the low fodmap diet and it doesnt recommend soy for easy digestion. Does wheat gluten need to be avoided if you are ok with bread though?

Dirius

Dirius, I'm glad you could feel comfortable making such sweeping judgments historically inapplicable to at least a billion people! I remember being able to do that. Ah, those were the days.

I'm not trying to be critical of holistic diets. I'm merely providing the scientific information that is available on unfermented soy.

Ukpoohbear

Dirius, I'm glad you could feel comfortable making such sweeping judgments historically inapplicable to at least a billion people! I remember being able to do that. Ah, those were the days.

Ukpoohbear, look at what I found about fumitory! Do you have Saturnine influence on your health? My Saturn is in Virgo.

Thanks for the quote! I screen shot it. My chart ruler is squared by Saturn, plus I had jaundice as a baby so it all adds up. Basically, I’m going to buy some organic fumitory oil now.

I just knew that healthy eating, astrology plus a spiritual lifestyle is the answer to these tummy issues.

The medicine the doctors give you for ibs plus anti-depressants, it just wasn’t working (don’t get me started on anti-depressants and basically being stuck because the side effects impact your life so much if you try). Western medicine is good don’t get me wrong, but it’s also not the whole truth.

Dirius

I’ve previously been following the low fodmap diet and it doesnt recommend soy for easy digestion. Does wheat gluten need to be avoided if you are ok with bread though?

It is to be avoided. I follow the diet recommended by Dr. Gundry, who is an american heart surgeon. Pretty much his theory, which I will admit has not done much studies on it, relies on the evolutionary context of humanity.

You see we humans are nothing more than big apes. And for almost 250 thousand years we ate the same type of food: leafy greens, fruit, some meat, tubers, mushrooms and roots.

Then about 10 thousand years ago, the neolithic revolution began and we switched part of our diet to grass (wheat) and seeds. Now... because we are primates, we never really evolved to eat this kind of things. We don't have the natural bacteria in our gut to adequately process this types of foods. We do not have the resistance to some of the chemicals these plants produce. This is why these types of food, while having some nutrion value, are not really good for us. They did have one big advantage, which was that we were able to store energy by getting fat and helping us survive the harsh environment of the period.

However, these foods are packed with chemicals called lectins. These are basically the plant's defense mechanism against predators. For example, gluten is a lectin. This is why it is harmful to us. They mess with our bodies. And the long term consumption of these lectins, is the reason we humans suffer from certain auto-immune diseases.

We are not supposed to eat grass or seeds. We are neither birds nor cows. That... sort of makes sense to me.

He also warns that we should stay away of some plant based foods from the Americas. Considering that most humans evolved in either Africa, Europe or Asia, most of the food that comes from the american content, such as corn, potatoes, tomatoes peppers, eggplant, etc. should be avoided (it is widely known corn is unhealthy).

Last edited:

Osamenor

Staff member
if you find beans too sweet, baked beans would not be called sweet here. Unless you have an unusually healthy diet compared to other Americans?

Does the UK version of baked beans not have molasses in it? That's a key ingredient in Boston baked beans, and that's what makes it so sweet.

Dirius

Holistic diets? The Chinese have used soy successfully for thousands of years! Goodness only knows what happened to it when it came west.

Why do people claiming to be "scientific" always leave out critical data?

Again, not a criticism towards your diet. You can take my info and ignore it if you so choose to.

As for your comment, asian cultures such as China and Japan have traditionally consumed fermented soy bean products, which seems to have reduced health risks and is easier to process. On the very least, the pros may outweight the cons of those dishes. Most commercial soy products available in any supermarket are, however, not fermented (soy sauce being a good example). So its best to stay away from those. I just stay away from it all together. It is also fair to point out that, asian cultures have been consuming fermented soy products for at least 2000 years. People or european descent have not.

Last edited:

Ukpoohbear

Does the UK version of baked beans not have molasses in it? That's a key ingredient in Boston baked beans, and that's what makes it so sweet.

I just checked and the ingredients just say sugar. I wonder if it is.

Btw, when you said you used to eat bread with molasses I looked it up and thought it meant bread with lots of seeds. But I just searched again and molasses is our syrup. So, a meal with molasses bread with beans and hotdogs would probably be very sweet.

JUPITERASC

Again, not a criticism towards your diet.
You can take my info and ignore it if you so choose to.
As for your comment, asian cultures
such as China and Japan have traditionally consumed fermented soy bean products,
which seems to have reduced health risks
and is easier to process.
On the very least, the pros may outweight the cons of those dishes.

Most commercial soy products available in any supermarket are, however, not fermented
(soy sauce being a good example).
So its best to stay away from those.
I just stay away from it all together.

It is also fair to point out that, asian cultures have
been consuming fermented soy products

for at least 2000 years.
People or european descent have not.

fermented-foods.png

Fermentation-Signs-BPI.jpg

Ukpoohbear

Dirius thanks for sharing the info on your diet plan. The logic makes sense plus corn doesn’t really seem digestable so it makes sense. Are tubers and potatoes the same thing?

Last edited:

Dirius

You and I might agree that there is little relationship between the soy beans consumed traditionally by its historical stewards, and the **** on the market today thanks to Monsanto and buddies. For the rest, I'll respectfully just leave you alone. I don't have much patience for arguments that sound regurgitated from websites.

Whether arguments are original or not, it is of little consequence to any debate. Facts are facts. So unless the facts are incorrect and you can prove them wrong, there is little you could say anyways.

Ukpoohbear

Looks like you'd take it in tea form, which is my favorite way to take herbs. Or crushed dry. See this:

https://www.bimbima.com/ayurveda/medicinal-use-of-fumitory-or-pitta-papra/1191/

I haven't seen your chart but the smoke of this herb can also be used to drive away spirits according to traditional lore. If that's something that plagues you it would be interesting to try it. I noticed it's a Papaver which makes it related to poppy. Don't think I've seen any growing around here but will certainly be keeping my eyes peeled and chat with my ecologist and herbalist friends!

It's easy to recognize 'cookbook' advice. I hate it in Western medicine, in jyotish, in western astrology, in social media, in everything.

Thank you so much for the link! I really am so grateful to all this advice and it’s came at the right time because I need to solve this problem, especially given that according to the humour dietary information, the black bile can start affecting all organs of the body, so long-term stress is really going to poison your whole system.

With my chart, it’s not particularly Plutonian so I don’t think I have trouble with malevolent spirits attacking but it’s Neptunian so I have a problem with boundaries and I basically soak up everything around me, which could include negative attachments that feed from anxiety, depression and also need to ground myself in general. I was going to smudge with sage but this herb will basically be good as well because it’s more personal.

Ukpoohbear

I just want to say thank you to all the advice in helping me follow my diet plan, the universe is really helping me to take this seriously and it’s honestly a huge relief. These dietary issues have been effecting me for years and it’s like I’m being given help to fight it. Plus, I love talking about food and herbs so a bunch of women talking to me about this is my ideal conversation. So much healing!

But I can’t leave for this evening (bed early tonight) without first saying - I have a lot of food for thought :lol:

Dirius

Dirius thanks for sharing the info on your diet plan. The logic makes sense plus corn doesn’t really seem digestable so it makes sense. Are tuners and potatoes the same thing?

Depends. According to this guy, potatoes should be avoided, they are a plant which is endemic to the american continent so might posses chemicals that are dangerous to human consumption, in the sense that they have only been in the european menu for about 500 years. He does recommend yams or sweet potatoes. Tubers such as carrots are fine. He has a long list you can check out.

One good rule of thumb you can use is: could you eat a certain food raw, digest it, and not die?

For example, you can eat raw carrots, mushrooms, lettuce, spinach, walnuts, olives, etc. and extract the nutritious value from these types of food and have no problems. You can even eat raw meat or eggs and properly digest them (the risk with raw meat or eggs is not the food itself, but bacterial and fungal contamination).

Can you eat raw beans? raw soy? raw wheat grain? Most of these food items would cause you severe problems if consumed raw, you would probably not be able to digest them, and some of them may even kill you. The only way you can consume them is by processing them, or fermenting them. Does that seem very "natural" to you?