Mental block?

katydid

Okay, here is my kind of stupid question. I am not sure if I will be able to word it correctly. Here goes...

I have never, even after 40 yrs of astrological studies, been competent with horary techniques. One reason is that my mercury is exactly opposed my jupiter and I get overwhelmed by the detailed rules. I hardly know where to start. :eek:

But the bigger issue is the question I am trying to frame. OK, Since I always have some idea what is going on in the sky, I feel like I either should or shouldn't ask a question at a certain time because of VOC moon or the like. In other words, what is to keep a horary expert from asking pertinent questions at the best possible moment?

I have had a question in mind that I wanted to ask here in the forum, but little things I knew astrologically 'prevented' me from asking at certain times.
Is that 'cheating' the system so to speak? :60:

freedomlover

katydid said:
Okay, here is my kind of stupid question. I am not sure if I will be able to word it correctly. Here goes...

I have never, even after 40 yrs of astrological studies, been competent with horary techniques. One reason is that my mercury is exactly opposed my jupiter and I get overwhelmed by the detailed rules. I hardly know where to start. :eek:

But the bigger issue is the question I am trying to frame. OK, Since I always have some idea what is going on in the sky, I feel like I either should or shouldn't ask a question at a certain time because of VOC moon or the like. In other words, what is to keep a horary expert from asking pertinent questions at the best possible moment?

I have had a question in mind that I wanted to ask here in the forum, but little things I knew astrologically 'prevented' me from asking at certain times.
Is that 'cheating' the system so to speak? :60:
The way I see it - yep. A question is a question - and the time it was asked is the time it was asked. To not count it is equal to putting the tarot cards back and doing another spread because you didn't like what the cards told you the first time.

However, the way I do "horary" - read the "snapshot of the energies".... I can usually tell if it's a "yes, but". In other words, if there's something I'm intuiting is to happen, but the chart is not telling me a "yes" - green flag - it's because there are other choices I or others need to make before it can come to pass. It's kind of a "step-by-step" - showing you the "step" you're on in the process. I hope that made sense. :rolleyes: I've never tried to explain that to anyone before - but felt it was important to do so. I don't think regular horary can do that - it's more of a "yes" or "no" type of thing.

FL

Last edited:

katydid

freedomlover said:
The way I see it - yep. A question is a question - and the time it was asked is the time it was asked. To not count it is equal to putting the tarot cards back and doing another spread because you didn't like what the cards told you the first time.

However, the way I do "horary" - read the "snapshot of the energies".... I can usually tell if it's a "yes, but". In other words, if there's something I'm intuiting is to happen, but the chart is not telling me a "yes" - green flag - it's because there are other choices I or others need to make before it can come to pass. It's kind of a "step-by-step" - showing you the "step" you're on in the process. I hope that made sense. :rolleyes: I've never tried to explain that to anyone before - but felt it was important to do so. I don't think regular horary can do that - it's more of a "yes" or "no" type of thing.

FL

I do understand what you are trying to say. It is a process. Sometimes that is what happens when I ask the question in my mind--I realize a certain astrological fact about the sky at the moment--and make a snap judgement from that, telling me it is not a viable situation yet or whatever.
But I suppose that I then cannot ask it for real later after I know Venus is direct and the moon is not void---because that is in essence-reshuffling the deck. Gotcha.:eek:

archergirl

Hi Katydid,

Even those of us who are proficient at horary do this sort of 'manipulation' of the chart...I am less likely to ask a question when I know the Moon is VOC, for example. I don't think there's anything inherently "wrong" with this, but Freedomlover is absolutely right that this is the equivalent of reshuffling the deck.

However, I am quite sure that even the vaunted William Lilly chose better times to ask horary questions. In his Cautions for Young Students (CA Preface xii) he says the students should be
very exact in knowing the use of his Ephemeris, and in setting a Scheame of Heaven for all the hours of the day or night, and in reducing the motions of the Planets to the hour thereof when need requireth, and to know their characters distinctly and readily.

In other words, a learned astrologer will already intimately know what is happening in the sky at any given time, so a certain selectivity in casting charts probably can't be helped. The only time this is really a problem is when you are asking for yourself, and have a vested interest in a certain answer!

It would be my suggestion that you still ask your question when the question is important, and take the advice of the chart, even if you already suspect you'll get an answer you don't like. There is a certain art to letting go of trying to control everything in life; and a certain art to just letting things 'be as they will be'.

AG:)

katydid

archergirl said:
Hi Katydid,

It would be my suggestion that you still ask your question when the question is important, and take the advice of the chart, even if you already suspect you'll get an answer you don't like. There is a certain art to letting go of trying to control everything in life; and a certain art to just letting things 'be as they will be'.

Okay-Now I understand why this has been so difficult for me. Being a Scorpio, with Taurus rising, and a Capricorn 8th house moon, none of the above comes easy. oh okay, just let go.?
DIVINATION has always been second nature, but it has always been tinged with 'magic' in some way, as a way to alter the outcome if possible. But to just 'look' at the situation, with no control or stake in it,----that will be a lesson.:eek:

archergirl

Note: I didn't say this would be easy!:p But IMO if you really need to know the answer to a question, horary is the best way to go...but one has to be prepared for the answer, as well.