Mars and motivation

Chrysalis

Im going to add another mars to this thread, this is some girls mars i know of, not my own Thankfully.

So she has a strong mars in aries, she's very impulsive and impatient, also very selfish in wanting her own needs dealt with first over anyone else's. Yes she's a go getter type of person but once again only for her own needs, she always puts herself first in anything.

She actually also has her mercury in aries, and as she is in the line of sales as her career, this suits her as she naturally has the pushy nature that you need for getting sales.

Temper wise she can blow a fuse really quickly, but on the good side this will not last too long, it dies down quickly also.

Oh and the drama..boy does she love some drama, any kind of drama and shes there, she could also be the drama instigator, as she needs some kind of drama in her life.

A guy who she's ever been with ...if things are going cold, she'll cause some kind of drama to get him to come back, whether this works or not depends on the guy himself.

obsidianmineral

Im going to add another mars to this thread, this is some girls mars i know of, not my own Thankfully.

So she has a strong mars in aries, she's very impulsive and impatient, also very selfish in wanting her own needs dealt with first over anyone else's. Yes she's a go getter type of person but once again only for her own needs, she always puts herself first in anything.

She actually also has her mercury in aries, and as she is in the line of sales as her career, this suits her as she naturally has the pushy nature that you need for getting sales.

Temper wise she can blow a fuse really quickly, but on the good side this will not last too long, it dies down quickly also.

Oh and the drama..boy does she love some drama, any kind of drama and shes there, she could also be the drama instigator, as she needs some kind of drama in her life.

A guy who she's ever been with ...if things are going cold, she'll cause some kind of drama to get him to come back, whether this works or not depends on the guy himself.

Does she have the Sun in Pisces, Gemini or Aries? Also does she have any placements in other fire signs? What are the aspects to her Mars? Because usually a placement like this is expressed awfully when there's a lot of tension.

Chrysalis

Does she have the Sun in Pisces, Gemini or Aries? Also does she have any placements in other fire signs? What are the aspects to her Mars? Because usually a placement like this is expressed awfully when there's a lot of tension.

Yes she also has sun in aries, and venus too (so a stellium) with oppositions to saturn and pluto in libra.

I can't be around her, shes way too selfish for my liking.

obsidianmineral

Yes she also has sun in aries, and venus too (so a stellium) with oppositions to saturn and pluto in libra.

I can't be around her, shes way too selfish for my liking.

Well, that's likely the cause for the ill expression of the sign. A Saturn and Pluto opposition can never be good. According to traditional sources, I could even go as far as to say that the opposition between the Sun and Saturn could shorten her life, possibly. It could affect her more, even by losing 30 years of life it it happens to be in contact with her alcoccoden.

Chrysalis

Well, that's likely the cause for all her ill expression of the sign. A Saturn and Pluto opposition can never be bad. According to traditional sources, I could even go as far as to say that the opposition between the Sun and Saturn could shorten her life, possibly. It could affect her more, even by losing 30 years of life it it happens to be in contact with her alcoccoden.

OMG really this is my sister...i only knew her for a year tho, but could never take how she was :surprised:

Whats "alcoccoden" ?

obsidianmineral

OMG really this is my sister...i only knew her for a year tho, but could never take how she was :surprised:

Whats "alcoccoden" ?

In ancient astrology Hyleg and Alcoccoden were used as planets that ruled how many years you were supposed to live. Following the fatalistic premise of this part of astrology, the great malefic Saturn not only makes her express Aries in a way in which is not meant to be done (Venus in Aries is also bad as it is in detriment), but adding to the fatalistic trend of traditional belief, ancients assigned a Hyleg if a chart met certain requirements, which is the giver of life or indicator of there being life at all. On the other hand, the Alcoccoden is the planet with the most dignity in the place of the Hyleg. The Alcoccoden gives you the amount of years a person will live. If it's in rulership or other great dignity the years will be more, and if in contact with malefics, the years will be shortened. Each planet has a certain amount of years. Saturn has 30 years for the lesser, which is how much he takes from you if there's a bad aspect to the alcoccoden.

Chrysalis

In ancient astrology Hyleg and Alcoccoden were used as planets that ruled how many years you were supposed to live. Following the fatalistic premise of this part of astrology, the great malefic Saturn not only makes her express Aries in a way in which is not meant to be done (Venus in Aries is also bad as it is in detriment), but adding to the fatalistic trend of traditional belief, ancients assigned a Hyleg if a chart met certain requirements, which is the giver of life or indicator of there being life at all. On the other hand, the Alcoccoden is the planet with the most dignity in the place of the Hyleg. The Alcoccoden gives you the amount of years a person will live. If it's in rulership or other great dignity the years will be more, and if in contact with malefics, the years will be shortened. Each planet has a certain amount of years. Saturn has 30 years for the lesser, which is how much he takes from you if there's a bad aspect to the alcoccoden.

Interesting to say the least...i need to look into this. Thankyou.

katydid

Doesn’t work that way. Mars does not “rule by house”, neither do the other planets. The houses are just there. The planets rule signs because their nature is most compatible with the particular planets’ nature.

According to you, in your opinion.

I disagree.

I was describing what I know, about MY natal chart, after studying astrology for over 40 years.

Please have some respect for other points of view.

Edited to Add:

Many modern astrologers differ from many trads in their view about the connection between houses and planets.

IN MY OPINION< there is a NATURAL CORRELATION between the 2.

In my example above which you disagreed with, I said that my Mars was in it's own house. I said that because the 8th house is the natural home of scorpio, which is ruled by Mars.

Mars is much more 'at home' in the 8th or the 1st, then he is in the 7th, for example. Mars rules the 'activities' of the 8th.

So I stand by my statement, as it is based upon common sense and basic astrological principles, IN MY OPINION.

Last edited:

katydid

I'm a 5th house 'well aspected' Moon in Capricorn with out of orb Mars in Cancer in 11th. Saturn in 10th house.
I believe to have read somewhere that you live with physical difficulties.
Do you experience that it's the aspects Mars makes that gives you that 'rod in the back'? You do not give in or give up when situations present a difficulty, but face them head on as a challenge you take on?

-----------------

Even though I have Saturn. Neptune and Sun in the 6th, I do not have many physical difficulties ...knock on wood...:whistling:

I am 65 and am not on any medications and never have been. I do have an inhaler for asthma emergencies, but rarely have to use it.

I have been very lucky and have not had health issues, in spite of my 6th house planets.

I have Spica conjunct the exalted Saturn in Libra, conjunct Neptune in Libra, conjunct the Sun @ 0 Scorpio.

I think I have been pretty lucky overall. And it may be true that Mars in Cap, in the 8th, was able to over ride smaller difficulties. I have a strong immunity system and usually get through minor problems quickly.

The 6th house stellium seems to be more about me being the 'one who serves' family and domestic animals. Stay at home mom, with a house full of pets, is more what my 6th house stellium was about.

UraSatVen1029

I was just thinking today about how Mars is the motivation in a person's life. Could you give me any insights related to how it feels to have Mars in a certain sign? For example, do any of you have Mars in Capricorn? How do you feel about having an exalted Mars? And people with Mars in rulership? Also, what about when it's peregrine or when it's in its detriment/fall?

I have Mars Virgo in the 8th house.

Virgo & 8th house influence, I think, makes me obsess about perfecting stuff/perfection. Lol, I'm not saying this just because its the stereotype for the sign (besides being a neat freak and etc.) but yeah. I think about the times where I'm extremely determined to learn, practice and perfect something. I'm self-taught with both piano and guitar, and a practice a bit of violin. The hours I spend on the piano though...gosh. I have this fixated focus on getting the job done right and perfectly, and I feel like I'll never be satisfied until I think it's good enough. I'll practice a song for days, weeks, or years. I'll obsess about it too.

I find that this also plays out in my other creative endeavors like singing, dancing, writing, drawing, blah blah. Yeah. Too bad it doesn't really function well in academics. I have detached feelings about academics, yet I still manage to do well, and this makes me think that maybe if I could just transfer that amount of energy into academics, I could really reaalllyy get some high grades and medals. Heh, if only I could. But my energy truly ignites on creative endeavors, as it is my passion to be creative and its also really therapeutic for me to express myself creatively.

The, erm, sexual drive though. I have no experience or whatsoever, but I feel like there's a lot of it stored deep down there. *winkwink* sometimes, I don't get to deal with it in the most convenient and fastest way, so I get really frustrated. And then, I drown myself in more productive activities just so I can keep my mind off of it.

Yet, I am also the QUEEN OF PROCASTINATION. I find that I function THE BEST only when I'm cramming or under pressure. It *****, but it works lol.

katydid

Very interesting about the 'Queen of Procrastination.' lol

I am that way too and I have a 6th house stellium which I often blame for that quality. :smile:

I have a friend with Mars in Virgo, in her 6th, and she came to discuss her chart with me, mostly because she wanted to change that habit pattern of procrastination.

She has Aries rising and her Mars, the chart ruler is in the 6th in late virgo. She has the Sun in early Virgo, and Mercury and Venus in Libra.

Her Merc/Venus in Libra in the 7th was always very outgoing and social and generous and she liked to be involved with others and be helpful.

Her Aries ascendant and Moon in Aquarius was very quick to volunteer to take on tasks. She volunteered at the PTA and the local Animal Rescue and in her church.

But she often over extended and then couldn't fully deliver because of time/energy constraints. She felt frustrated and was working on getting it more balanced.

We talked a lot about her 'delegating' work/chores. Her kids could take on more of her home duties and other group members could be asked to step up more.

And she was kind of surprised to have a Mars in Virgo self realization---'she didn't trust others to do as good a job as she does' on those projects. So she kind of boxed herself into an impossible position. [ Moon in Aquarius inconjunct Mars in Virgo]

She did begin to make her children do more tasks at home though. So it is progress...

Last edited:

UraSatVen1029

Very interesting about the 'Queen of Procrastination.' lol

I am that way too and I have a 6th house stellium which I often blame for that quality. :smile:

I have a friend with Mars in Virgo, in her 6th, and she came to discuss her chart with me, mostly because she wanted to change that habit pattern of procrastination.

She has Aries rising and her Mars, the chart ruler is in the 6th in late virgo. She has the Sun in early Virgo, and Mercury and Venus in Libra.

Her Merc/Venus in Libra in the 7th was always very outgoing and social and generous and she liked to be involved with others and be helpful.

Her Aries ascendant and Moon in Aquarius was very quick to volunteer to take on tasks. She volunteered at the PTA and the local Animal Rescue and in her church.

But she often over extended and then couldn't fully deliver because of time/energy constraints. She felt frustrated and was working on getting it more balanced.

We talked a lot about her 'delegating' work/chores. Her kids could take on more of her home duties and other group members could be asked to step up more.

And she was kind of surprised to have a Mars in Virgo self realization---'she didn't trust others to do as good a job as she does' on those projects. So she kind of boxed herself into an impossible position. [ Moon in Aquarius inconjunct Mars in Virgo]

She did begin to make her children do more tasks at home though. So it is progress...

My chart ruler is in Aries. I also have the same Moon Aqua inconjunct Mars virgo.

Its exactly my situation right now! I volunteered to write a script for a role play and I do have a partner for that. Yet... I ended up giving all the ideas, writing most of the script because I also cannot trust someone to do the job as how I imagined it. I kicked myself for that because I just loooove to procastinate especially on holidays, and our professors expected that we would do all of this in christmas break. *sigh* yet I can't just NOT work on this and give a half-asssed performance to recieve a "meh" type of grade. Nope.

I sometimes find myself being in positions where I had too much to do or to worry about and this is all because me. I blame myself for that haha.

To counter all of that, I try to gather the group as much as possible and ask for more ideas and inputs so that they could feel like they're part of the process. So no one would seem/feel like they didn't contribute to anything. There were times when group members would dislike me because I seemed arrogant and bossy in doing most of the work, so yeah. I also try to balance that too.

katydid

YES, that Moon in Aquarius inconjunct Mars in Virgo can be really tricky.

On one hand, your emotional self wants everyone to work closely together, as a tight unit, and share the experience of a group creative project...

And yet your active/ambitious self wants to have creative control and the ability to master all of the final details, correctly and with expertise.

It is hard to achieve the balance, but when it can be done, it is the sign of a skilled artist/director.

Frisiangal

I believe to have read somewhere that you live with physical difficulties.
Even though I have Saturn. Neptune and Sun in the 6th, I do not have many physical difficulties ...knock on wood...:whistling:

Memory failed me. Must have been someone else (fibromyalgia!).
Lucky you to have escaped those physical mishaps that a 6th house can, yet does not necessarily imply.

Happy New Year and continued good health in 2018.

Frisiangal

She said “exalted by sign” AND “placed in its own house”, implying she thinks these are two completely different things, which also implies she thinks that Mars rules the eighth house. Additionally, it wouldn’t be “placed in its own house” because it does not rule either Sagittarius or Capricorn, so that goes out the window.

Either way, she is incorrect.

You are 'assuming' what a poster thinks and implies?

Incorrect through traditional astrology?
(Don't know what was stated as so 'useful' about your above post. :sick:)

A personal New Year resolution. No point in discussing 'other' astrology with the traditionalists.:wink:

All the best for 2018.

Chrysalis

I have Mars Virgo in the 8th house.

Virgo & 8th house influence, I think, makes me obsess about perfecting stuff/perfection. Lol, I'm not saying this just because its the stereotype for the sign (besides being a neat freak and etc.) but yeah. I think about the times where I'm extremely determined to learn, practice and perfect something. I'm self-taught with both piano and guitar, and a practice a bit of violin. The hours I spend on the piano though...gosh. I have this fixated focus on getting the job done right and perfectly, and I feel like I'll never be satisfied until I think it's good enough. I'll practice a song for days, weeks, or years. I'll obsess about it too.

I find that this also plays out in my other creative endeavors like singing, dancing, writing, drawing, blah blah. Yeah. Too bad it doesn't really function well in academics. I have detached feelings about academics, yet I still manage to do well, and this makes me think that maybe if I could just transfer that amount of energy into academics, I could really reaalllyy get some high grades and medals. Heh, if only I could. But my energy truly ignites on creative endeavors, as it is my passion to be creative and its also really therapeutic for me to express myself creatively.

The, erm, sexual drive though. I have no experience or whatsoever, but I feel like there's a lot of it stored deep down there. *winkwink* sometimes, I don't get to deal with it in the most convenient and fastest way, so I get really frustrated. And then, I drown myself in more productive activities just so I can keep my mind off of it.

Yet, I am also the QUEEN OF PROCASTINATION. I find that I function THE BEST only when I'm cramming or under pressure. It *****, but it works lol.

I kind of get where your coming from with yours, my mars is in libra but also conjunct pluto and im a virgo sun, so im like this too.

katydid

She said “exalted by sign” AND “placed in its own house”, implying she thinks these are two completely different things, which also implies she thinks that Mars rules the eighth house. Additionally, it wouldn’t be “placed in its own house” because it does not rule either Sagittarius or Capricorn, so that goes out the window.

Either way, she is incorrect.

In YOUR OPINION I am 'incorrect.' It is only your opinion, not a proven fact.

This thread and this forum is SHARED by the modern and the traditional astrologers. When you post something based upon your rules/traditions, I do not reply by saying 'you are incorrect.' It is unnecessary for you to point out differences in our methods/beliefs.

In modern Astrology, many astrologers take note of the 'natural rulers' of a given house. Mars is the natural ruler of the 8th house . MARS FEELS AT HOME IN THE 8th HOUSE.

You may 'think' or 'believe' that I am incorrect in saying that. But it is not a proven fact. It is only your opinion.

david starling

This thread and this forum is SHARED by the modern and the traditional astrologers. When you post something based upon your rules/traditions, I do not reply by saying 'you are incorrect.' It is unnecessary for you to point out differences in our methods/beliefs.

In modern Astrology, many astrologers take note of the 'natural rulers' of a given house. Mars is the natural ruler of the 8th house . MARS FEELS AT HOME IN THE 8th HOUSE.

You may 'think' or 'believe' that I am incorrect in saying that. But it is not a proven fact. It is only your opinion.

Perfectly stated. Unfortunately, not everyone can agree to disagree.:sad:

JUPITERASC

Thank you for the reminder that this is a GENERAL FORUM
and as such shared
by not only modern and traditional astrologers
but also by SIDEREAL astrologers

note then that
The Thema Mundi
a Hellenistic Era Natural Wheel
illustrates fundamental astrological principles
and
reveals the inner geometrical elegance
that gives these fundamentals their meaning and definition
and associates 8th house with AQUARIUS and Saturn

Eric Francis notes:
Thema Mundi is the chart that truly is one of the ancient keys to astrology.
Keys lead to doors and doors lead to different places... this is the beginning of an adventure
”.
Many astrologers agree with
Thema Mundi placing of Cancer as the 'natural first house' instead of Aries.

An example is the following 97 word extract, sourced from an article viewable at
http://planetwavesweekly.com/dadatemp/1832374392.html

QUOTE:

Cancer, sign of mothering associates with the 1st
house of incarnation, where one comes into tangible form.
Aries is Thema Mundi 10th house of fiery initiative, career, fame, worldly expression.
Capricorn does not fit the outgoing initiative required of 10th.

Aries as the natural sign associated with 10th helps us understand Aries Point
which seems closer in meaning to 10th than to Ascendant.

Children are often conceived in 5th house
- overlaying the house of passionate sex with the sign of mysteries of birth and death makes sense.
A fun romance, can involve you deeper than you planned

attachment.php

Perfectly stated. Unfortunately, not everyone can agree to disagree.:sad:

david starling

I can definitely see the merit of the Thema Mundi House associations, even though I'm not currently using them myself. Many of the Sign-Ruler-House connections make sense to me. One thing I like about it is that it gets Pisces out of H12, considered very unfortunate Traditionally! :biggrin: