What is "skipped step" per Jeff Green?

claudette

I recently read a mention of Jeff Green's interpretation of any planet square the nodes as being a "skipped step" and cannot find anything on it, not having his books. I think Steven Forrest has talked about this also.

I have two planets square my nodes at 5 deg virgo (NN) and of course SN 5 deg pisces. They are: uran 3 deg gem, sat 7 deg gem. My asc is 2 gem. These planets are further energized by a trine to 2 aquar MC and sextile pluto 5 leo conj my IC.

As for my interpretation, I would say my energy, attention and activities seem to constantly in vacillation: exemplified by two planets so different from one another being conj. Uran wanting spontaneity, originality,freedom, etc, and saturn being restrictive, traditional, limiting, critical. Sometimes I can see-and practice-combining them well: ie in art school, where I was disciplined:sat, and was able to express some innovative and original ideas: uran. It also "worked" when I was writing poetry and in songwriting, where the creative flow has to be edited to a concise, pure form.

I had some major restrictions in my life: sexually abused as an infant, child and teen, and serious measles giving me dental and vision problems and polio and its side effects at 3 yrs, so sat was definitely at play here!

Another aspect of this combination I think, is the intuitive flashes and insights that come to me spontaneously. Sometimes they are worrisome and fearful-anxiety-based and sometimes they are very spiritual in nature.

At issue also seems to be the idea of perfectionism and my fear of trying something creative for fear it won't be perfect.

I don't want to go off on a tangent here, just am trying to give some interpretation as you so rightly ask for. I'm really asking about Green's interpretation and that of any who read my post as to what this configuration could signify. I don't really think I have much objectivity about it.

I'll try to attach my chart-sometimes cannot get it to work. If not, birth data is July 10, 1942, 2:55 am, Minot ND.

Thanks so much for any input!

file would not load. where are the instructions?

dhundhun

What I understand by "Skipped Planet"

One can integrate energies of a Planet, which is before NN, to be succeed. The planet which is before SN, has to evolve spiritually and in life its presence is as if it is skipped.

It is basically setting priorities, what can be accomplished from worldly point of view.

The positions (NN, Saturn and Uranus) you mentioned, none of them are getting skipped. For success, you need to integrate Uranus (sexually abused, measles, polio, etc), Saturn (restrictions) and characteristic of NN (Social Trends) has to come together. As long as any one is in back-side, none of them could move forward - strenght has to come from all of them.

Well this interpretation is based on Jeff's writings.

Last edited:
What I understand by "Skipped Planet"

One can integrate energies of a Planet, which is before NN, to be succeed. The planet which is before SN, has to evolve spiritually and in life its presence is as if it is skipped.

It is basically setting priorities, what can be accomplished from worldly point of view.

The positions (NN, Saturn and Uranus) you mentioned, none of them are getting skipped. For success, you need to integrate Uranus (sexually abused, measles, polio, etc), Saturn (restrictions) and characteristic of NN (Social Trends) has to come together. As long as any one is in back-side, none of them could move forward - strenght has to come from all of them.

Well this interpretation is based on Jeff's writings.

Welcome to the World of Astrology!
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14561

Re: Need some education: Which charts to use when?
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17514

Beginning to Study Astrology
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showpost.php?p=154469&postcount=10

How to attach a chart as thumbnail
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12126

I suspect it means nothing, although you are asking about planets making an aspect to your Nodes is relevant. We really need to see your chart, but it's worth mentioning generally people don't start to reach for the N Node qualities until mid life (40's) and you don't mention your age

We also have a good search feature here on AW, using keywords like google and there has been plenty of threads on Nodes here :whistling:

Hi Claudette,

Your post intrigued me, as I have significant squares to my nodes, mainly from my Sun and Moon! I have never heard of this concept of a "skipped step." Unfortunately, I was unable to really understand dhudhun's post, so I feel even the more confused.

I see that A50 provided you with some links, but seemed to conclude that the concept of a "skipped step" meant nothing. I'm personally not so sure about this.

What I have heard, and mind you, have yet to read anything by Jeff Green (you like him? is he good?) is that squares to nodes typically indicate a "set-back," not unlike this concept of a "skipped step."

According to my own chart, because I have my Sun and Moon both square my nodes, my self-expression and my sense of emotional nurturace, have been twarted. This thwarting has come from outside sources, namely social behavior to behave and conform in certain ways. My Sun is in Cancer, so my growing up has prevented me from exhibiting my natural sensitivity, and I often faced criticism for not being "tough enough." My sensitivity, in other words, was not appreciated by society. My Moon is in Capricorn, so my sense of security, which requires me to build on past experiences of success, has been prevented due to social experiences which have tore me down. I was sort of out-of-sync with society, and forced to sync-up in a way. In other words, I experienced "set-backs" in my development, and some might view this as a "skipped step." Just trying to make it fit here.

The thing with nodes and squares is the emphasis on society. Something outside of one's control typically is produced by the squares. It was simply something I had to learn and experience in my life. The nodes indicate an external path to be actualized during the lifetime.

A50 mentioned that one typically doesn't begin to progress down the nodal path until after their 40s. I am not sure why this is the case, and this is not been my experience. The significance of one's nodal path and its manifestation, is always personal, so I have yet to come to a generalized understanding as A50 has based on this reality. I have heard from one source that the north node is a path one is pressured to take until one's first solar return, whereupon, the native can "reap the gold" of their SN, having learned the lessons of the NN.

In my own understanding, the more personalized the nodes are, that is to say, the more aspects which are made to nodes by celestial bodies in the chart, the more stark the nodes become in one's experience. For example, based on my chart, I can't really ignore my nodes, and I'm only 23!

It sounds like Claudette, you are using your nodes to understand traumatic experiences in your life. I commend you for that. The nodes for many of us are a difficult, but apparently necessary path.

I am terribly sorry to hear of your abuse and illness. Do look at Chiron, as well as Pluto and Neptune in your chart, and which houses are connected to these two planets.

mod.

According to my own chart, because I have my Sun and Moon both square my nodes, my self-expression and my sense of emotional nurturace, have been twarted. This thwarting has come from outside sources, namely social behavior to behave and conform in certain ways. My Sun is in Cancer, so my growing up has prevented me from exhibiting my natural sensitivity, and I often faced criticism for not being "tough enough."
If you are looking for wounds, try chiron.

I'm not convinced squares to Nodes respond like this. Sun and Moon are representative of the parents for sure and maybe their view of how you should be, but Nodes are all about your 'Lessons' --South Node is supposed to be learnt behaviour, comfortable areas where we can rest and feel safe. Also the House position is probably more important as to where you are supposed to learn these Lessons. You can have lots and lots of aspects to both Nodes like you can with any planet or Angle, some are easy like the trines and some bit more tension like the square.

But because the Squares are internal things and Nodes are just 'points' I feel it's an internal Soul's yearning for growth and this Lesson is life long and the age I mentioned is commonly used because espec for women who have children, family and responsibilities, until they grow up become independence, that mother cannot reach for N Node because family matters would keep dragging her back. This was very true for me and many others :smile:

"Whether or not we consciously work on these lessons, events in our lives are likely to force us to confront them. In my experience, people often begin to confront and work on their North Node lessons in their thirties, whether or not they are aware of the issues through Astrology. Before this stage of our lives, we may be somewhat blind to our South Node tendencies."
http://www.cafeastrology.com/nodesofthemoon.html

Personally I would suggests mid forties :cool:
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/astrological-aspects/north-node-square-sun.php
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/astrological-aspects/north-node-square-moon.php

actually,I was bit surprised about the lack of information regarding 'timings' as in when approx someone would start to reach for N Node.

http://www.astrologycom.com/nodes.html
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/astrology-articles/north-node-karma.php
http://www.north-node.com/astrology-tutorials/nodes
http://www.aquamoonlight.co.uk/nodes.html

Arian Maverick

The underlying concept may be different, but someone discussed planets which square the nodes on a thread several years ago--the "dragon" and the "beast." After much searching, I finally located a thread which referenced this concept, although I still cannot locate the original thread: Still puzzled by my North Node.

Here's the quote, taken from the thread:

Also, to add another slant to this, quoting what Starnoud taught me about the Dragon and the Beast:

Dragon is 90* from NN - same degree. This is where you meet yourself, where you are fighting yourself for nothing. This for me would be 4* Virgo/8th, with Leo on cusp.

Beast is opposite Dragon. This is how you live your heart's desires. Feed the beast, so you will get energy. The Beast is exactly conjunct my Part of Fortune at 4* Pisces/2nd, with Aquarius on the cusp. (For you asteroid junkies, the asteroid Gaea is exactly conjunct Beast/POF at 4* Pisces)

Make of this what you will. I simply wished to add another factor to discussion.

Arian Maverick

claudette

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful responses!

I'm having trouble with my computer today; it keeps popping me out, so I won't try to answer specific comments until tomorrow when I can try to figure out what is going on. I cannot even get into email.

I read instructions on how to attach a chart; will try to do that. If it doesn't work, data is 7.10.42, 2:55 am, Minot ND.

claudette

OOPS! let me try again.

Attachments

• aro_upw.gif
    aro_upw.gif
    134 bytes · Views: 93

claudette

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful responses!

I'm having trouble with my computer today; it keeps popping me out, so I won't try to answer specific comments until tomorrow when I can try to figure out what is going on. I cannot even get into email.

I read instructions on how to attach a chart; will try to do that. If it doesn't work, data is 7.10.42, 2:55 am, Minot ND.

Attachments

• astro_2gw_01_claudette.gif
    astro_2gw_01_claudette.gif
    47.8 KB · Views: 34

gemini59

Jeffrey Green is more karmic astrology. Thus there is a whole line of thinking around the north and south nodes connected to karma.
The train of thought in this area of karmic astrology has to do with pluto, where we have our greatest strength but also our greatest weakness. The polar opposite point.
The north node and its ruler. This

This theory goes into many interesting processes. But the point of a square to the north node might be again this stepping stop where we have an opportunity to move quickly or we miss it and it we have to go back to learn it.

I have Saturn and Mercury square north nodes though a little wide. I suspect your 3 degree range is a better fit. I would only use 2 or three degrees in a square to the nodes for this. That is my interpretation.

lilllybelle

Jeffrey Green rocks- big fan here! I'm 32, and I'm already navigating towards my NN. How could I not though? My moon is conjunct my NN, and my mars and venus are conjunct my SN. It's an area of my life I am very focused on. God sent me back with a game plan this time. It is commonly said that people don't start moving into their NN until later in life; however, that's not going to be true for everyone.

If all my stuff wasn't in boxes, I'd whip out one of my Jeff Green books and give you a precise answer. In lieu of a precise answer, I'd say skipped steps would indicate that you didn't learn a lesson from the ground up and build on it in a past life. Something got skipped- kind of like a girl who gets married at 14. She skips a lot of phases in her life.

I think I posted this a while back, but I bulldozed a load of old posts one day and it might have been deleted. I have Neptune square the Nodes in :sagittarius: in my fourth house.

Here is an article. I have a mutable t-square with SN in :pisces: NN in :virgo: and nebulous Neptune in :sagittarius:

Basically, there is unfinished business regarding the planet/sign/house which squares the nodes. The individual did not resolve those issues pertaining to planet/sign/house. Its concerns successfully facing the issues which block (square) the nodes before you can move onto your North Node direction. The square shows blocks and frustrations, and perhaps a place we always trip up each time and get stuck before we move along the NN path.

You need to deal with what is obstructing Nodal progress? The sign square to the Nodes often has its mode of action in common with the Nodal axis (cardinal, fixed, mutable). I have the Nodal axis in my angular/active/cardinal house, these areas (taking NN in Virgo into consideration) become over idealistic, scattered, unfocused, dependent, nebulous, and any other :sagittarius: :pisces: :neptune: vocabulary . SN is in the house of relationships, and North Node heads towards self-identity. The fourth house of home, family, roost blocks the path of the nodal axis.

I do have a tendency to become scattered and less focused, relying on my partner and seeking sanctuary at home, from the harsher aspects of life, and maybe at the cost of self-development.

Souls who incarnated during this period are very intuitive, may have some psychic ability, and tend to seek experiences that expand both your senses and your spirit. Neptune in Sagittarius brings the potential for a deeper understanding of the meaning of life than in previous signs, although if afflicted, you may lack sound judgment and have a strongly emotional and indecisive nature. You're idealistic, gregarious, sports-minded, and in love with grand gestures and large ideas. You enjoy travel, religion (possibly even occult studies), politics, philosophy, and fair, frank, broad-minded individuals. You dream big.

With Neptune in the fourth house you're highly receptive, and want to explore the hidden mystery of the origins of mankind and each individual's place in the scheme of things. You feel obligated to those who gave you the necessities of life in your early childhood. This can form a background for feelings of inadequacy, which in turn makes you feel even more insecure. Asserting yourself, even at the risk of failure, is a good antidote for this pattern. Home, family and security may seem ideal to you
Source

[deleted overly long quote against forum rules - Moderator]

So, it suggests I need to go back to my roots, and understand my delusions :tongue: I love astrology's honesty. I will admit I use home as a way of avoiding situations I feel uncomfortable with. The "skipped step" is like walking the long way around to your destination, first go the great sea of Neptune in the broad sign of :sagittarius: before you have the green light to pass onto the North Node. I guess Neptune is my amber before the traffic gets moving, so I keep getting stuck on amber/:neptune:, how frustrating. I have just made up a new analogy for the skipped steps and Nodes. The south is your red light a warning sign for where things have stopped moving. The amber is your skipped step the "in between process" before you can move forward. The North Node means GO, and leads you to your destination. Its a terrible analogy :tongue:, but fun.

Spirituality is tied to my home, and oversensitivity at home and towards family. I find it difficult to break free from the emotional connections of the family/ancestors. It blocks my path from exploring my own individuality. My scattered self :lol: needs to be focused and harnessed through the Virgo North Node and this will develop a more discriminate self-identity. I explore universal truths at home, but its a place that blocks me from further growth.

:sagittarius:/:neptune: = Beliefs/escapism/truth/deception/learning/confusion/travel/lost/over idealism = The quest for the ideal home.

I need to work on connecting back to my spiritual roots and beliefs, and try to curb my escapism tendencies. I am a gentle soul inside, I wouldn't say home has always been my sanctuary, I sill feel off key inside. I become eternally idealistic at home.

I can see the Sag/Pisc/4th and 7th are places I escape to (home-relationship) and I lose focus and balance in these areas (Sagittarius and Pisces are large signs, and they don't focus on the small print, or tiny details). I find that when a relationship enters my life I can fall into the trap of dependency issues. I can be strong in different aspect of life, but feel all too comfortable relying on a partner. I keep losing self-focus.

Last edited by a moderator:

EJ53

Banned
I find Jeff Green difficult to understand at times, and this is one of those occasions for me.

He explains the "skipped step" in pages 16 to 24 of his book on "Pluto...The Evolutionary Journey of the Soul"......and seems to be saying there that it applies only when Pluto is aspecting the Nodes......For example, if Pluto is conjunct SN and a planet is square to both Nodes then that planet suggests the individual "skipped a step" relating to the SN (but not the NN)......And there appears to be a special situation when Pluto itself is the planet squaring the Nodes, suggesting a skipped steps for both the SN and NN.

Can someone please confirm if or not my understanding is correct (about Pluto having to be in aspect to the Nodes), as information on the Net seems to suggest that a skipped step is indicated by planets squaring the Nodes (even if Pluto is not involved)?

emotionality

Well , I must have been running up those stairs missing those steps like crazy :pinched: Three at a time perhaps ^^ Unless what EJ said is correct,because Pluto doesn't aspect my nodes,then I'll feel a little better about not being a Karmic ***** up in that regard lol

I have 3 planets square my nodes.Sun,Mercury & Venus. And the vertex as well ,if you use that point.I am not sure if it makes a difference but those nodes are also conjunct my angles.North node conjunct my Cancer IC and South node conjunct the MC in Capricorn.

Despite the idea of being older when you start to go towards your north node path,there is always the exception to the rule.Or maybe I was just shown the way a little bit.Was raised by a Cancer mom and all.Have always adored water energy.I'm 27 and like Mod ,I feel I can't deny the exisitence of my nodes and thier impact on my life and inner being.

When I was younger,I would climb down to the last rung of the ladder in a pool and just sit there ,for as long as I could,made me feel at peace.Weird?Maybe lol :tongue:

The town I live in is called "The Lake City" (I'm sure there is like 5000 of those but even so ) I have the water energy all around me ,even in those most literal of ways.

My personal experience is that the squares call that energy up for me.Having a predominantly air & fire chart.I take it as I must use the nature of the planets squaring the N node to gain access to that energy and using the attributes of the sn to eventually synchronize being nurturing yet assertive, emotional yet not overcome and thoughtful but not entirely cerebral :biggrin:

All personal observations,but wanted to add my thoughts at any rate ^^