Gender of planets

david starling

You learn something new every day. Did you know that one of the reasons Jupiter is considered the greater benefic is because he (as the IU definition of a planet) cleared his orbit of other objects, and that those objects' impact could have destroyed the Earth? I mean, I guess. If we want to look at asteroids in this zone in general, we could chose whether they have the nature of Jupiter or Mars, and then go on a quest to decide for them all. And I suppose some people have done exactly that.

Personally though, I can get enought astrology without wondering about the asteroids between Mars and Jupiter. Carry on.

At one time, Astronomers believed that Ceres and the asteroid belt were all that was left of a planet that exploded or was blown apart. Isaac Asimov even opined that Ceres (an agricultural goddess) should have have been the name of the Red Planet, because of its canals, and that Mars (a god of war) should have been the name for the remnant of a planet violently destroyed. The new theory is that the planets gradually congealed from a conglomeration of asteroids, and Jupiter prevented this from happening for this never-to-be planet by expelling nearly all of the particles it needed to pull together--Ceres somehow avoided being expelled.:joyful:

JUPITERASC

Well, I guess I'll start.

I'd guess Ceres would be considered moist, considering it's probably full of water ice.
Ceres is not a planet neither is Eris BOTH are dwarf planets ..... :smile:

VSS00020.jpg

david starling

The word "planet" originally meant "wanderer", meaning any celestial object that moved relative to the "fixed" stars. This included the Moon and Sun, and in that sense, does include the smaller "planets". The first-recorded Moon deity was Male, in ancient Sumeria. The Greco-Romans preferred it to be female.

JUPITERASC

The word "planet" originally meant "wanderer",
meaning any celestial object that moved relative to the "fixed" stars.
This included the Moon and Sun, and in that sense, does include the smaller "planets".
The first-recorded Moon deity was Male, in ancient Sumeria.
The Greco-Romans preferred it to be female.
The word "planet" originally evolved from the Greek "planetes aster"
or "wandering star" :smile:
and
specifically referred to the Sun, Moon, Mercury, Venus, Jupiter, Mars, and Saturn

whose motion could be detected against the backdrop of fixed stars that are stable in their relative distance from one another
but all move together as one large group.

david starling

The word "planet" originally evolved from the Greek "planetes aster"
or "wandering star" :smile:
and
specifically referred to the Sun, Moon, Mercury, Venus, Jupiter, Mars, and Saturn

whose motion could be detected against the backdrop of fixed stars that are stable in their relative distance from one another
but all move together as one large group.

According to Merriam-Webster, the word "planet" is "derived from 'planasthai,' a Greek verb which means 'to wander'. The ancient application of the term clearly did not equate the Moon with an "aster", a star. Instead, the Moon was simply a celestial object that moved relative to the fixed stars and was considered Astrologically significant--like the smaller planets are considered to be by many Astrologers today. Therefore, they may be considered Astrological planets.

I cee

Graay ghost....
'Does it even matter'
.....that is an especiallly interesting thought...one which I have myself thought of when reading astrological books....it earkes me to 'restrict' and 'pidgeon hole' every planet..
I understand that we have to start ....somewhere....but.....why are we constantly harking back to old scripts and what the bloody roman/greek gods did..???
The very act of dividing and labelling, either feminine or masculine restricts the essence, and really annoys me......and dare I say pulls us back to that whole christian/religous blockades that annihilate the human spirit.
WE ARE ALL HUMAN........THATS IT......NOTHING ELSE.
If we want to be equal, we need to think equal
The very fact that we are saying 'hey..this is venus and 'she' does this and that....why.....why, really who's to say thats the feminine and why are are we constantly wanting to divide everything into masculine and feminine, light and dark.....this echoes the past bollocks that the feminine has had to put up with.....cos thats it.....the female is....dark...mysterious....dangerous.....fked up and well the masculine is light and.......you know the rest......we all need light, don't we, for crops to grow, for healthy skin, to see, to get tasks done......the light is good.....the dark is......umbiguous........bad.....scary.....to be destroyed.
....jus look at those uurrgggh perfume ads.....
.....but at night we sleep....we recuperate and we heal ourselves, our bodies rest...too much sun.....destroys and burns up.
......balance......blend.

graay ghost

Well aside from the sun, the moon and Venus are generally the brightest things in the sky... aside from maybe the ISS, but that's not gonna factor into anyone's horoscope anytime soon. :pinched: So it's kind of silly to associate them with darkness in general.

Wait, Jupiter. What about the ISS? It's super bright. Its reflected light must influence life on earth if that's what makes astrology work. Can we use it? :w00t:

Anyway, Icee. I do not know. I am not proficient in either gender well enough to have much of an opinion, I don't think.

david starling

Positive and negative polarity, yang and yin, creative and receptive, light and darkness: These pairs can (and should) be considered without value-judgement. Why not masculine and feminine? How would we see the stars without darkness? The Sun reveals the shadows.

Last edited:

graay ghost

The idea that "creative" and "receptive" are considered opposite bothers me because to me it has always seemed patently false.

I cee

Positive and negative polarity, yang and yin, creative and receptive, light and darkness: These pairs can (and should) be considered without value-judgement. Why not masculine and feminine? How would we see the stars without darkness?

Stop it!......stop it.......stop it!

graay ghost

Exactly! They're not opposites, they're circular. You need both to complete the circuit and keep the energy flowing.

My chart is still wrong, then. I am definitely more of an engineer than a scientist.

Also you absolutely do not need to create to receive but you do need to receive to create. You cannot make something from nothing. So one does not require the other, no.

Last edited:

david starling

My chart is still wrong, then. I am definitely more of an engineer than a scientist.

From what I've seen, you're a writer, and a good one!:happy:
Can you make nothing from something?
Writing is a receptive act; reading is a creative response. Like reading a Chart.

Last edited:

graay ghost

conspiracy theorist

Also you absolutely do not need to create to receive but you do need to receive to create. You cannot make something from nothing. So one does not require the other, no.

Not necessarily. Mars is the planet of engineering and you know where it's located in your map.

graay ghost

Not necessarily. Mars is the planet of engineering and you know where it's located in your map.

This rather comes from the idea in STEM fields that there are generally two types of people: a type that, when you see something happen, is it a "problem to be solved" or a "phenomena to be studied"? If you wanted to I guess you could break them down into "creative" versus "receptive", though another perhaps more accurate way is "adversarial" vs. "curious". Everyone does both of these things to some degree but the idea is that one type of person is usually going to end up making more money than the other (guess which).

graay ghost

reading is a creative response. Like reading a Chart.

Reading a chart (or tea leaves or chicken entrails or whathaveyou) is a very different act than reading a book. When someone reads a book, the author had a particular intent that the reader is supposed to pick up on. The main message you get from reading stars is "neener neener" because otherwise they would have made themselves easier to read.

david starling

There is no creation without reception; and, there is no reception without creation. They happen simultaneously. Captured any wild peeves lately?:biggrin: