Arabic Parts: The Part of POWERFUL FRIENDS

Metaphysica

I've only seen it listed on the natal - Arabian Parts - in the program AstroWin (which is a wonderful program, strictly data, and lots of it)

If anyone has any further knowledge on this part I would love to hear about it.
I have not found mention of it in the few books I've found on the subject. Maybe it is called something else...

The reason I ask is that I have come across a small group of charts, from within my collection of 200+ charts, that have their natal moon exactly conjunct their Part of "prfl friends". I find this fascinating, as it is such a select few.

example: natal moon 04'03" leo conjunct part of powerful friends 04'03"leo

Now I have not been able to find the formula for this exactly. The closest I've come is when I looked up a list of hypothetical points: A+B+C of all natal planets, sorted by zodiac. ..and the closest I could find to 04'03" was:

SUN+NN -JUP = 03 LEO 41
MOO+SAT-MAR = 03 LEO 51
MOO+MAR-SAT = 04 LEO 14

...and yet none of these are exact. So, while I intend to look into this further, I thought to ask for help...

Any insights will be most appreciated. or any questions, etc..
thanks

Metaphysica

Does nobody have any knowledge of this Arabic part "powerful friends"?

Even if you've only heard of it, please let me know. As I said, I've only seen it used in the AstroWin program, (similar to Astro123). It's not mentioned, by that name at least, in the well known book on 'Arabian Parts'.

If someone who has a version of Janus, would be willing to look and see if it's mentioned in that programs list of hypothetical parts, that would be greatly appreciated. Please & thank you.

fantasmo

Account Closed
Is this the same that astro.com shows as "arabic points"?
Are there some further informations on this somewhere?
EDIT: ...Hey for me it says "eros = cancer" and "nemesis = cancer"...is this something to worry about??

Last edited:

piercethevale

It is also known as the "Part of Illustrious and Noble Acquaintances" and the correct formula is Asc. + :sun: - :parsfortunae:
[This title would be the more correct of the two, as applied to someone that is of spiritual bearing. For someone that is concerned only with worldly desires, I figure that the title "Powerful Friends"...you know, the kind that have the ability to...ahem... "make you an offer you can't refuse"?...that would seem to fit the bill.]

It makes no difference if the individual is born either day or night for determining the Part, and one should only always use what is known as the diurnal, or day, formula in determining the Part of Fortune.

I don't know where the Zarathu got his/her info from, but that isn't the correct formula.

piercethevale

Also, if one has Sun conj. Asc. then this Part will be conj. the natal Moon.

As to the reversed formula as Zarathu gave, I have never seen any mention of it in all my years...but if I were to take a stab at what it is, I would be inclined to say...
The Part of Acquaintances that are LOSERS:wink::lol:

piercethevale

Is this the same that astro.com shows as "arabic points"?
Are there some further informations on this somewhere?
EDIT: ...Hey for me it says "eros = cancer" and "nemesis = cancer"...is this something to worry about??
No, it's not... by "cancer" they are referring to the Zodiacal Sign of Cancer.

piercethevale

:pinched:I've apparently stuck my foot so far down my throat that I can now see it from this other end. :sick:
I apparently transposed the significator and trigger in my compilation a long time ago and have been working with the wrong formula for some years.
That means I've got a lot of charts I'm going to have to re-check and new assessments to be concluded upon.
...and I'll make the necessary correction to my listing in the thread I have on Parts in the 'Degree Symbols' sub-forum.

I owe you a very sincere apology Zarathu. If you happen to notice any other Parts I've listed that are in error, I would appreciate your input.
My most sincere apology to you, Zarathu and to all the members of the forum.

...my bad
ptv

piercethevale

Well, maybe I shouldn't have been so hasty.
Upon checking the compilation I have in the Degree Symbols sub-forum I find that I've listed it both ways with the explanation that I had found two variables. At the present moment I can't recall where I got the other formula from. I only checked my Winstar software and the 'Dreamhouse' website here: http://www-personal.umich.edu/~pfa/dreamhouse/attic/lots/lotslist.html
but I'll find it.
I get so many projects going on in my mind at any given time it is difficult to remember why, presently, I chose one formula over the other...but I surely had my reasons.
This will take some time to track it all down... but my apology stands...I should of been more thorough and not so cock sure of myself.

Apologetically, ptv

piercethevale

My immediate thoughts on this matter, though, is that I determined that those sources that give Part of Fortune - Sun are those that believe in nocturnal formulae, which I don't and have very rigid conviction of.
I apparently do have a source, I can't recall at the moment that also only adheres to what are considered to be diurnal formulae.

...at least that is my immediate thought on this matter.

... but of course, my apologies still stand.

In respect, ptv

Zarathu

Account Closed
My most sincere apology to you, Zarathu and to all the members of the forum.

...my bad
ptv

Apology accepted. No problem. If I had a dime for every time I was cock-sure of a point and said it, only to be given an alternative, where I might not been quite as right as I thought(but maybe still a little right), I'd be able to dine out at least once a month.

Its also my curse! And probably way worse than YOU!

piercethevale

If you'll all allow me to make a presentation for my case using Sabian Symbols here I'll demonstrate whay I believe in the Asc. + :sun: - :parsfortunae: formula.

For my self the comes to 08* :leo: 26'
In the reverse formula it comes to 25* :aquarius: 41'

The Sabian symbol for the 9th of Leo is [by Dane Rudhyar's "An Astrological Mandala"'

"GLASS BLOWERS SHAPE BEAUTIFUL VASES WITH THEIR CONTROLLED BREATHING.

KEYNOTE: The need to involve one's most spiritual and vital energies in the creative act' if it is to produce significant and beautiful new forms.

The breath represents the power of the spirit, animator of all living manifestations. Because the glass blower uses his breath to shape the glass vessels, he is a fitting symbol of how deeply any creative individual has to involve his total being in his creation. He is also using the fire of the spirit — transpersonal inspiration — or, in another sense, the fire of deeply felt emotions. Any creative activity which does not involve both the 'breath' and the 'fire' cannot transform into beautiful artworks — or indeed into any new form of order — the raw materials, remains of the past (the 'sand').

This fourth stage of the twenty-sixth sequence symbolically shows us the technique required in true and successful transforming activity. It always implies CREATIVE INTENSITY."

...by the reverse formula, Sun + Po Fortune - Sun
the 26th degree of Aquarius, the Sabian Symbol is:
[ibid.]

"A GARAGE MAN TESTING A CAR'S BATTERY WITH A HYDROMETER.

KEYNOTE: Skill in applying knowledge of natural laws to the solution of everyday problems resulting from life in our technological society.

Here we see a man using his analytical mind to check up on the operation of the machines his inventive genius produced. This simple commonplace operation is used here as an indication of how deeply technology involves us in small matters, yet matters which in some circumstances could make the difference between life and death — i.e. a mechanical failure in a car on a crowded freeway. The need for 'management' therefore is seen to affect every detail of our individual lives; this applies as well to the complexities of interpersonal, social or political relationships, because our modern society is indeed like a huge machine speeding on dangerous ground. Safety depends on available power.

This is the first of five degree symbols in the sixty-sixth sequence. It tells us that we constantly need the use of our intellectual power of observation and analysis to check on the effectiveness of the energies at our disposal. It is a symbol of MENTAL EFFICIENCY."

...that is easy for me to discern as it is the "Creative" type of individuals that make up the Noble & Illustrious people I know... I know very few techies and those few are for the most part very mundane in their pursuits and goals.

If you will allow me to use the chart I've been promoting as the accurate chart for the natal of the U.S.A [the zero hour, July 4, 1776, Philadelphia, Penn. chart] then the Sun - Po Fortune forumula produces 08* :sagittarius: 27'... the 9th degree of Sag.
[ibid.]

"A MOTHER LEADS HER SMALL CHILD STEP BY STEP UP A STEEP STAIRWAY.

KEYNOTE: The need in any social situation to assist the less evolved in their management of the problems which society requires its members to solve.

A staircase does not present a natural difficulty to a very young child. Man builds stairs and therefore is responsible for assisting the child to climb them step by step. Social and cultural living is not "natural." The child must first be taught by example, then helped along as he imitates as well as he can the grownup's behavior. Climbing stairs is only an illustration of a general process. Every generation must involve itself in teaching the next even the simplest skills needed for social existence.

At the fourth stage of the preceding five-fold sequence we saw parents encouraging a little child to walk. Walking is a natural human function; climbing stairs is a skill made necessary by the building of several-storied houses — a product of civilization. What is implied here is SOCIAL CONCERN for the less evolved of society's members."

The reverse formula for the U.S.A. natal chart is
04* :virgo: 32'...the 5th of Virgo.
[ibid.]

"A MAN BECOMING AWARE OF NATURE SPIRITS AND NORMALLY UNSEEN SPIRITUAL AGENCIES.

KEYNOTE: The opening of new levels of consciousness.

In the first of this sequence of five symbols we saw the individual seeking to bring out of everyday contacts a consciousness of significant form and meaning. Now, as the sequence ends, a further stage of realization is shown in its initial and relatively primitive character. The consciousness is gradually reaching beyond physical characteristics and becoming aware of energy processes, i.e. of the dynamism of forces which externalize themselves as life forms.

This is the last stage of the thirty-first five-fold sequence of phases of the cyclic process of consciousness. The mind in its objectivizing and analytical character always tends to give 'name and form'(nama and rupa in Sanskrit) to that which it contacts as energy process. It 'mages forth' energy or feeling, relating it to more or less familiar sense experience. We call this IMAGINATION."

...well that might seem like a bit of a tough call but I have to go with the former symbol...it is those individuals that are concerned about our fellow citizens welfare that i believe are the true Noble and Illustrious individuals.

one more example would be what I derived from the chart I've proposed is that of Yeshu'a/Jesus of Nazareth I was going to leave that example for that threadl..although I will say it's pretty convincing as to the first formula also...that is if one believes in the veracity of that chart to begin with.
The Sun - Po Fortune formula produces 24* :libra: 19'...the 25th of Libra
[ibid.]

"THE SIGHT OF AN AUTUMN LEAF BRINGS TO A PILGRIM THE SUDDEN REVELATION OF THE MYSTERY OF LIFE AND DEATH.

KEYNOTE: The ability to discover in every experience a transcendent or cosmic meaning.

The mind open to the multifarious wonders of natural processes, because it sees everything with fresh eyes, not only witnesses simple facts, but pierces through appearances and perceives the great rhythms of universal life. Without such a faculty the aspirant to spiritual realities is always looking for 'elsewhere.' Yet the spirit, life, God is ever present, here and now. And every death is an omen of rebirth.

At this fifth stage of the forty-first five-fold sequence of phases of the cosmic process, the implications of the four preceding stages are brought to a new state of consciousness which is truly the spiritual state. It is a state of CLAIR-SEEING, or 'seeing through.' This world is illusion only to the individual who cannot see through its phenomena and fails to apprehend the reality these phenomena reveal even as they conceal it."

...which is my 12th House cusp, btw, and my Asc is a symbol of Autumn leaves on trees representing the "Transfiguration"... Wat I'm trying to convey is that the 25th of Libra is very much like those I would assume he felt were his Noble and Illustrious associates.

the reverse 07* :virgo: 07', that is the 8th degree of Virgo.
[ibid.]

"A FIVE-YEAR-OLD CHILD TAKES A FIRST DANCING LESSON.

KEYNOTE: Learning to use one's capacity for emotional self-expression according to cultural standards.

The process of emotional experiencing under controlled situations is shown now to demand self-induced, active movement; yet the movements are still conditioned, if not totally determined, by cultural and thus collective patterns. The individual can express his own individual character only according to traditional modes. He is still entirely responsible to his teacher or guru. Yet new perspectives are now open to him.

At this third stage of the five-fold thirty-second sequence of symbols we witness at work the transitional phase which may lead to mastery. The child-consciousness is still dominated by some form of authority; but if the child is 'five years old,' the implication is that he is entering ' the level of conscious manhood, represented by the number 5, the five-pointed star which outlines at least the POTENTIALITY OF INITIATION."

...hmmm, when I first read this symbol I thought it was easily dismissed but upon re-reading it I now can see a possibility.

Maybe I am wrong... maybe it's that I know so very
very few techies, that are of the Albert Schweitzer variety that then is the reason why the title goes to the reverse [as I termed it] formula...[?]

...the thing that I believe I have to tilt it to the Sun - Po Fortune formula is what Rudhyar stated as "according to cultural standards" and the Man from Nazareth was for the most part preaching about freeing themselves from cultural traditions/standards ...re-evaluating, simplifying and re-formulating most of those...doing away with some of those standards altogether.

...but it seems to me both formula produced rather honorable descriptions as applied to people...it does make sense in that it is a bit like the difference between the formulas for the Po Spirit/Soul and the Part of Fortune in that both produce Parts are of a benevolent nature...I shouldn't have been so hasty as to assume it to be a Part of Losers...but then what does the same arrangement substituting the Moon for the Sun in each formula produce?

...it could even be that one was originally considered to be of 'Powerful Friends' and the other formula friends of Nobility and personal lustre but not necessarily of Power...

verily, this is a tricky Part to figure out and might best be just considered under probation until one collects enough examples for one way over the other.

Last edited:

Phoenix Venus

heyyyy, reading over those few you posted, i just thought. maybe the pof - sun would be: the people who are influenced. And no, this is not just another part to add to the long list about influence. Rather than the influence you have on others, it is those who are infleunced. read it for His. it makes sense. :biggrin: or maybe something similar. it might fit for yours, i can't say but it does conjure a memory of you telling me about your possible greatest influence dealing with something of a scientific nature.

of course with just a couple charts it shouldn't be taken as more than a guess.

Last edited:

Phoenix Venus

and here's mine for the contribution :wink:

asc + sun - pof: aquarius 23.57:

A MAN, HAVING OVERCOME HIS PASSIONS, TEACHES DEEP WISDOM IN TERMS OF HIS EXPERIENCE.
KEYNOTE: The constructive use to which difficult past experiences can be put as examples for those who are still striving to overcome their passions.
Every type of experience can be made to serve a spiritual purpose. Every man or woman, however humble his or her status, can be an example to younger people who are still struggling to overcome or control the compulsive drives of their emotional-biological natures. Whoever has managed a difficult performance contributes to the collective wisdom of his community and of mankind. Every achievement is to be passed on to those who may be inspired by it to greater and more adequate efforts.
At this fourth stage of the sixty-fourth subcycle we are given a never-to-be-forgotten hint: it is the responsibility of anyone who has taken one step ahead in his evolution to help others to take that step. This is true education. The Keyword is COMMUNICABILITY.

hmmmm... :p

asc + pof - sun: Cancer 8.21

A SMALL, NAKED GIRL BENDS OVER A POND TRYING TO CATCH A FISH.
KEYNOTE: The first naïve quest for knowledge and for an ever-elusive understanding of life.
The “small, naked girl” symbolizes the innocent and spontaneous mind, as yet unclothed in cultural patterns and unrestrained by don’t trying to satisfy its curiosity about what seems mysterious and fleeting. In a sense the pond is the infant’s mind with a very limited scope of consciousness, yet eagerly reaching out to catch the swift and elusive first realizations of the meaning of life.
At this fourth stage we are confronted with the nascent curiosity about knowledge, a curiosity which makes the little mind reach out in spontaneity, rather than merely imitate the elders. Whenever a person is confronted with this symbol he or she should realize that there is much value indeed in simply reaching out with a pure and unconditioned mind to the most elementary experiences which natural life offers to us. The key here is PURITY IN UNDERSTANDING.

Metaphysica

My natal sun is 25 Aquarius 56 ヽ(^。^)ノ

Asc 20sag19
Moon 04Leo03
Pof day 28tau26
Pof night 12can12

I was born at 340am and have always felt more "fortunate" from a 7th house part of fortune in cancer. Although, 28 Taurus would be exactly conjunct my Chiron, so maybe would not FEEL so fortunate from that area.

Ps. Don't have my Sabian symbol literature on hand, presently, or else I too, would list the symbols for my parts. (Hehehe)

piercethevale

heyyyy, reading over those few you posted, i just thought. maybe the pof - sun would be: the people who are influenced. And no, this is not just another part to add to the long list about influence. Rather than the influence you have on others, it is those who are infleunced. read it for His. it makes sense. :biggrin: or maybe something similar. it might fit for yours, i can't say but it does conjure a memory of you telling me about your possible greatest influence dealing with something of a scientific nature.

of course with just a couple charts it shouldn't be taken as more than a guess.
:w00t:
That is VERY perceptive, P.V. ...it makes sense... totally...

That'll get your reply on my fridge door with 'TWO GOLD STARS' next to it. It's got Hall of Famer written all over it.
The next step is to try it out on as many charts you are assured are genuine and ...if it checks out, we'll run it up the flagpole and see if anyone salutes it!

...Mad Skills, I tell ya....:wink::happy:

piercethevale

and here's mine for the contribution :wink:

asc + sun - pof: aquarius 23.57:

A MAN, HAVING OVERCOME HIS PASSIONS, TEACHES DEEP WISDOM IN TERMS OF HIS EXPERIENCE.
KEYNOTE: The constructive use to which difficult past experiences can be put as examples for those who are still striving to overcome their passions.
Every type of experience can be made to serve a spiritual purpose. Every man or woman, however humble his or her status, can be an example to younger people who are still struggling to overcome or control the compulsive drives of their emotional-biological natures. Whoever has managed a difficult performance contributes to the collective wisdom of his community and of mankind. Every achievement is to be passed on to those who may be inspired by it to greater and more adequate efforts.
At this fourth stage of the sixty-fourth subcycle we are given a never-to-be-forgotten hint: it is the responsibility of anyone who has taken one step ahead in his evolution to help others to take that step. This is true education. The Keyword is COMMUNICABILITY.

hmmmm... :p

asc + pof - sun: Cancer 8.21

A SMALL, NAKED GIRL BENDS OVER A POND TRYING TO CATCH A FISH.
KEYNOTE: The first naïve quest for knowledge and for an ever-elusive understanding of life.
The “small, naked girl” symbolizes the innocent and spontaneous mind, as yet unclothed in cultural patterns and unrestrained by don’t trying to satisfy its curiosity about what seems mysterious and fleeting. In a sense the pond is the infant’s mind with a very limited scope of consciousness, yet eagerly reaching out to catch the swift and elusive first realizations of the meaning of life.
At this fourth stage we are confronted with the nascent curiosity about knowledge, a curiosity which makes the little mind reach out in spontaneity, rather than merely imitate the elders. Whenever a person is confronted with this symbol he or she should realize that there is much value indeed in simply reaching out with a pure and unconditioned mind to the most elementary experiences which natural life offers to us. The key here is PURITY IN UNDERSTANDING.

As applied as you stated...it makes sense to me... totally...

What influences you have received you in turn transmit them...

...Mad Skills... Girl...YOU ROCK!!!:cool:

piercethevale

My natal sun is 25 Aquarius 56 ヽ(^。^)ノ

Asc 20sag19
Moon 04Leo03
Pof day 28tau26
Pof night 12can12

I was born at 340am and have always felt more "fortunate" from a 7th house part of fortune in cancer. Although, 28 Taurus would be exactly conjunct my Chiron, so maybe would not FEEL so fortunate from that area.

Ps. Don't have my Sabian symbol literature on hand, presently, or else I too, would list the symbols for my parts. (Hehehe)
Have you tried to interpret the two combinations as P.V. has suggested?
...and the Sabians are available at this link: http://mindfire.ca/The Sabian Symbols/An Astrological Mandala - Contents.htm