is there anybody who understands the "hyleg"?

Francesca

Tik, as usual, you make me laugh. J, I was reading about the hyleg the other day but need to re-read for it to sink in. I will come back then and discuss it with you.

Draco

Hi Jagetoile,

The hyleg is the planet in the horoscope known as the 'giver of life', as it is said to have the greatest influence upon a persons innate strength or vitality.

It's opposite is the anareta, or the 'giver of death', which is a destructive planet, and can pose a threat to the hyleg in the natal horoscope or in transit.

The hyleg was used to try to determine the likely length of ones life, and due to it's interactions with the anareta, periods of danger or weakness could be identified.

According to Ptolemy, the hyleg can only be considered such if it is in one of five houses, which in order of preferance are, the first, tenth, eleventh, seventh or ninth.

William Lilly's method for determining the hyleg, went as follows:

Take either the Sun or Moon if they fall in one of the five hylegiacal houses. In diurnal charts prefer the Sun, and in noctural charts, the Moon, but take into account both accidental and essential dignity, remembering that a luminary in the first is prefered over one in the ninth. This is pretty simple, but it can get more complicated.

If neither luminaries fall in hylegiacal houses, then in a diurnal chart, you seek the new Moon proceeding the nativity. Consider which planet is the almuten (the planet having the most essential and accidental dignities ina particular degree of a sign) of the degree in which that new Moon falls, as well as the planet that has most essential dignities in that new Moon horoscope. If either of these planets fall in a hylegiacal house in the nativity, then accept this as the hyleg, if both are present, opt for the strongest. If neither of these planets can be found in hylegiacal houses, then the Ascendant is taken as hyleg.

If the chart is nocturnal, then consider the planet which has the most essential dignity in these three places. The degree of the Moon in the nativity, the place of whichever luminariy is found above the earth in the full Moon prior to the nativity, and the Part of Fortune. If this planet falls in a hylegiacal house, it is the hyleg. If not, then take the Acendant if the birth was proceeded by a new Moon, or if by a full Moon, the Part of Fortune if it falls in a hylegiacal house, or else just use the Ascendant.

Personally, I'm very fond of symmetry, so quite why Lilly does not use the exact reverse formula for determining the hyleg in a nocturnal chart, to that which he uses in a diurnal chart I have no idea.

The anareta, which might as well be mentioned as we are discussing the hyleg, can be a malefic planet (Mars or Saturn), the ruler of the eighth, the almuten of the ruler of the eighth, or any planet in the eight house. I suppose that these would have to whittled down to one which stands out as the most malefic, and therefore is the anareta, as I'm sure that there cannot be more than one in any one chart. The terms of Mars and Saturn are known as 'anaretic degrees'.

I hope this answers your question. I'm not sure what this has to do with horary though.....but if a person was to determine the planet which is their hyleg, then observation of what this planet is doing in horaries concerning health issue's may be of interest.

Last edited:

starlink

Oh boy! Way too confusing and complicated for me. I dont think I am going to look at these things. Sun, Moon, Ascendant and 6th house will do me fine! Thanks for the explanation because I knew vaguely what it was but never saw it pointed out the way you did.

starlink

I could always try to find time Indigo, but I have not seen any horary thingy by you. Do I find your question in the horary department?