Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > General Astrology > Natal Astrology

Natal Astrology A place to discuss yours and others' birth charts (after you post your own birth chart interpretation). Includes psychological and relocation astrology, houses, aspects, and planetary dignity and debility.

Unread 07-31-2010, 04:36 AM

North Node Return

This has recently been something I have noticed. I've never really looked into the nodes before. What do the events surrounding this return mean? Large importance in your life? Karma wise, something in this lifetime?

Unread 07-31-2010, 07:23 AM

Re: North Node Return

I consider that nodal returns are significant - but often subtle - life turning points.

Perhaps begin by reading this article by Dane Rudyar:

http://www.khaldea.com/rudhyar/astro...narnodes_2.php

"There is a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in."
- from Anthem
by Leonard Cohen
Unread 07-31-2010, 08:01 AM

Mine sure wasn't subtle! The most dramatic life changes experience I've had.
Thanks for the link
Unread 07-31-2010, 06:09 PM

Perhaps other transits influenced this. I remember how I watched my first nodal return with the great expectation that something should happen. Perhaps it was so subtle it evaded this Arian's notice.

Arian Maverick
Unread 07-31-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arian Maverick View Post
Perhaps other transits influenced this. I remember how I watched my first nodal return with the great expectation that something should happen. Perhaps it was so subtle it evaded this Arian's notice.

Arian Maverick
I wasn't watching for it, I wasn't even into Astrology much at the time, and it just so happened to be at that exact time of the year? Oh no, plus to more I am learning about the NN it makes perfect sense. But the drama that came with it could have been other influences along with it. Influencing how it happened.
Unread 07-31-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
I wasn't watching for it, I wasn't even into Astrology much at the time, and it just so happened to be at that exact time of the year? Oh no, plus to more I am learning about the NN it makes perfect sense. But the drama that came with it could have been other influences along with it. Influencing how it happened.
I do not discount your experience; I simply wished to provide another viewpoint so members who read this thread do not assume the nodal return or nodal opposition always heralds dramatic life events.

I agree that the North Node is a significant influence in natal charts, but personally, I have not experienced nodal transits to be significant. This does not mean that they are not significant for some people, however.

Arian Maverick
Unread 07-31-2010, 08:39 PM

During the first Nodal Return,transiting Jupiter opposes natal Jupiter and transiting Chiron inconjuncts natal Chiron.
May I suggest you explore these transits with your natal chart?

J.
Unread 08-01-2010, 07:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
...nodal returns are significant - but often subtle - life turning points.
I have NN in Taurus/8th...

My first Node Return (at age 18) marked the end of my time in the UK school system, and the beginning of my professional career...

...At my second Node Return (age 37), I achieved something that caused my profession to regard me as an expert rather than "just another member"...So, it marked the point at which my further development was through "self-actualisation" rather than the education/training/experience of others...

...And at the third Node Return (at age 56), I ceased to be a protective parent/teacher of my two children and began learning from the two adults whom I am proud to have fathered.

However, (as R4VEN and AM have said) none of these turning points struck me as being significant at the time...But hindsight enables me to see now that these endings and beginings (8th house) increased my self-worth (Taurus) and "grounded" my SN views about the cycle/spiral of life (Scorpio/2nd).

EJ
Unread 08-01-2010, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ53 View Post
.But hindsight enables me to see now that these endings and beginings (8th house) increased my self-worth (Taurus) and "grounded" my SN views about the cycle/spiral of life (Scorpio/2nd).

EJ
Since EJ53 and I are roughly the same age, I wandered through my ephemeris in search of my own NN returns, listed them, and came up with a strange conclusion.

Firstly, I agree that they are rarely dramatic at the time. It is hard to determine at the time of a NN return how this moment, this day, this week/month will impact upon one's life direction. But it seems that it does.

I have come to the conclusion that I have experienced SN returns, more than NN returns. That is, my NN returns have reflected my struggle to access my NN. I have NN in Taurus in the 4th.

At each of my returns there was an event which emerged as a medical condition - in one case (at 18) a serious illness which my mother later confessed she believed was potentially fatal!!!!! - which I now know was an indication that my soul did not wish to continue in that particular direction. The problem for me has been that I did continue in that same direction, believing I had no other choices available.

It's clear to me now that in order to make the most of the NN return, an understanding of the requirements of one's own NN is absolutely essential.

- from Anthem
by Leonard Cohen
Unread 08-01-2010, 09:26 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Modcleopatra

Quote:

Arian Maverick

ArianM,

Perhaps it makes sense to see what aspects your nodes are making in your chart to deduce how strong of influence a Nodal Return will have or not have... just a thought. There is a connection between these facts and the impact a Nodal Return will have. For example, let's say a Native has SN Conjunct Sun; it would make sense, given the importance/strength/magnitude of the Sun's natural influence in the Natal Chart, that a Nodal Return for this Native would be felt more dramatically, as opposed to an individual who's Nodes make subtler aspects in the chart. From what I can see in your chart (from your profile) your Nodes don't make many aspects, in fact only two major aspects, a square to Jupiter, and sextile to Uranus, and one minor aspect, a semi-sextile to your Moon. Moreover, your North Node, the direction you are moving in, is in the 12th house, so you may not notice it or be able to quite pinpoint it's style or quality of influence, in the first place.

Mod.
Unread 08-02-2010, 12:38 PM

That actually NN influence in my life wasn't dramatic, what happened surrounding it and because it was.
Unread 12-17-2010, 05:42 PM

-------------------------

'...Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.' Shakespeare.

Last edited by ImNotThere9; 02-24-2011 at 01:07 AM.
Unread 12-18-2010, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilshAngel View Post
This has recently been something I have noticed. I've never really looked into the nodes before. What do the events surrounding this return mean? Large importance in your life? Karma wise, something in this lifetime?
North Node return is not really valid. It is only a placement or a point in our charts and not a planet or even a fixed star. Nodes relate to the person only born on that particular day.
Unread 12-18-2010, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modcleopatra View Post
ArianM,

Perhaps it makes sense to see what aspects your nodes are making in your chart to deduce how strong of influence a Nodal Return will have or not have... just a thought. There is a connection between these facts and the impact a Nodal Return will have. For example, let's say a Native has SN Conjunct Sun; it would make sense, given the importance/strength/magnitude of the Sun's natural influence in the Natal Chart, that a Nodal Return for this Native would be felt more dramatically, as opposed to an individual who's Nodes make subtler aspects in the chart. From what I can see in your chart (from your profile) your Nodes don't make many aspects, in fact only two major aspects, a square to Jupiter, and sextile to Uranus, and one minor aspect, a semi-sextile to your Moon. Moreover, your North Node, the direction you are moving in, is in the 12th house, so you may not notice it or be able to quite pinpoint it's style or quality of influence, in the first place.

Mod.
I dont use minor aspects with nodes and certainly not transitting nodes. They are not valid. They are points in a natal chart that belong to the person born on that day only.....and are not after all planets or fixed stars. The orbs are smaller than with planets and I use only conjunctions and oppositions that are tight.

Last edited by Claire19; 12-18-2010 at 03:58 AM.
Unread 12-18-2010, 03:59 AM

Many (including me) consider the nodes of great astrological importance and influence (in jyotish-Vedic-astrology they have always been accorded status equivalent to that of the planets; they have always played a role in Chinese astrology as well )
Those of us who adhere to this great respect for the nodes, consider their progressions and profections and transits, to often be of significant influence...
Unread 12-18-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr. farr View Post
Those of us who adhere to this great respect for the nodes, consider their progressions and profections and transits, to often be of significant influence...
And I also am one of these people. I have observed this too many times to ignore it.

Rudolf Steiner also had great respect for the first nodal return (in particular), as a significant karmic point in one's life, as he did for the cycles of Saturn, and based much of his theory of childhood eduction on these cycles. [I still (as a former teacher of early adolescents) agree with his theory - and subsequent practice - that formal education is inappropriate and unnecessary for children before they have reached their 1st Saturn square.]

- from Anthem
by Leonard Cohen
Unread 12-19-2010, 12:29 AM

Quote:

Arian Maverick
Nodal returns are not valid in my opinion, so that may explain it. Any effects may well be as a result of other influences in the chart I would suggest.

Last edited by Claire19; 12-19-2010 at 12:31 AM.
Unread 12-19-2010, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr. farr View Post
Many (including me) consider the nodes of great astrological importance and influence (in jyotish-Vedic-astrology they have always been accorded status equivalent to that of the planets; they have always played a role in Chinese astrology as well )
I would like some proof of events that are triggered when there is a nodal return.....anyone???

THey are extremely important in a natal chart and other transits by planets to them natally would be worthy of note...if there is a connection natally again.

My argument is that they are points in a chart and the transitting node of that period belongs only to the native born then.....I would like to be dissuaded of this opinion by anyone with legitimate experience of it.
Unread 12-19-2010, 05:51 AM

For predictive work I use profection first and foremost; then SR, then simple symbolic progressions and transits (I use profection-conditioned transits but that's another story) So my experiences with the nodes (and I must admit, mostly with the South Node) is nearly completely limited to these techniques rather than specifically to nodal returns. I could provide many examples of the action of nodes in the predictive models I use (mentioned above), but can, off hand, think of only 2 specifically involving nodal returns: my own, and that of my late wife. But each (experienced) practitioner must decide by a review of their own cases, if "proof" on any nodal return influence exists or not: limited examples given in a forum thread really don't "prove" anthing, because the charge of "coincidence" can always be levelled against such limited examples: only a statistically significant, randomly chosen sample (of at least 200 randomly chosen charts), tested for evidence of nodal return influences, could tend (and only tend) to answer the "give me proof" demand. That's why I say, if one wishes to test this nodal return matter (or indeed any astrological matter), for one's own edification, then the practitioner should go over their collection of charts and see whether or not substantial evidence of nodal return influences can be discerned. One must also realize that there is rarely only one celestial influence triggering any event: I follow Charles Carter (and others) in believing that it almost always requires a confluence of similar celestial operative influences acting together-at least a couple of them-in order to "cause" something-one influence alone will rarely trigger on its own.

I believe that nodal returns can be one of those influences...

Last edited by dr. farr; 12-19-2010 at 06:29 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to dr. farr For This Useful Post:
pinkupinku (01-07-2020)
Unread 12-19-2010, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire19 View Post
I dont use minor aspects with nodes and certainly not transitting nodes. They are not valid. They are points in a natal chart that belong to the person born on that day only.....and are not after all planets or fixed stars. The orbs are smaller than with planets and I use only conjunctions and oppositions that are tight.
ASC, Black Moon Lilith or Part of Fortune are also only mathematical points, but in my experience, their transits can be felt.

It may also be a matter of how sensitive is one to transits generally, for example, I am very sensitive even to short, passing influences (Neptune in 1st, Moon trine Neptune, Merury in Pisces conj IC) so I actually feel when transiting Moon squares my Sun (it´s likely that I won´t feel too well), opposes my natal Saturn (then I would be in a "leave me alone" mood) or transiting POF or ASC on my natal personal planets.

These are transits that occur every day. Nodal transits or transits of BML are much rarer and are felt as well. BML transits, for me personally, usually had to do something with sex or some power issues either in myself or others. I cannot give you any "proof" because everyone has to decide for themselves. I just know that it works for me.

When my son was born, transiting South node was conjunct my natal North node (and vice versa). This of course doesn´t happen to everyone when their child is born and there were also other indications of an important events, both in transits and in progressions, I agree with Dr. Farr that there are always several influences in any event.

I kept a diary when I was in my teens and just looked at what happened when when I had a Nodal return at the of 18. When I was 17, I fell in love with a guy and he liked me as well, but we never took it any further, because we had problem communicating. I was sad because of it and blamed him for not behaving like I would like him to be and I actually questioned whether he liked me at all. For that day (the nodal return), I wrote in my diary that "today, out of a sudden, I realised that I had a large role in our separation because I thought it was up to him to do something about it, to approach me the way I wanted and I took it for granted. I guess I made it really difficult for him. It was me who had too big expectations and it feels relieving to know that so I won´t do it ever again. I won´t no longer blame anyone for something that I am responsible for as well."
My natal North node is in 8th house ("letting go" of "emotional attachments") and I had to let go of him.
So you see, it doesn´t have to be any big event, it can be much more internal (but when I look back at it, you realise that it had huge impact on my personal life).

http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum...pictureid=6608

Last edited by Yennefer; 12-19-2010 at 02:31 PM.
Unread 01-05-2011, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Mine sure wasn't subtle! The most dramatic life changes experience I've had.
Thanks for the link
I dont go along with node returns. I would like to hear how yours was affected???
Unread 08-28-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Not that I believe in transitting nodes but hitting the natal north node may have some effect after all. Would be interesting to gauge that one.

Ever open minded.

Unread 08-28-2011, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toona03 View Post
Hello!

I just came across this topic searching the net and wanted to share recent discoveries about nodes in my life!

I wanted to say that my first Nodal return was HUGELY significant. The very brief time in which it was exact, I had a large life culmination and then met a man who profoundly impacted and altered my destiny. The return was exact, to the minute, the day we met. What is also profound about this relationship is that our composite pluto has aspects to almost every other planet in the composite chart, and this heavily aspected composite pluto is also, to the minute, exactly conjunct my natal south node. I only recently made these discoveries and it has been a PROFOUND release for me.

The relationship was incredibly karmic and my life was totally altered by it. This is somebody who I was able to describe years before I met him and when we were together it felt like he had just fallen out of the sky to be the most perfect boyfriend alive. Sadly, after a while it was very painful for both of us as we both experienced dramatic life changes while we were in contact. We had unbelievable power struggles and all that other stuff associated with pluto... The most telling thing, to me, was that some things played out in our relationship that were very obviously a part of my karma -- dealing with death and addictions, so on. We finally cut ties about a year ago, but I can safely say that this relationship not only altered the course of my life, it also brought to the surface my deepest fears/insecurities and has helped me process and purge these things. Another element of this relationship that was significant to me is that our composite north node is exactly conjunct my chiron. Basically, I deduced that this person came into my life to repeat a karmic scene from a past life and basically force a rebirth and healing process. And then finding out that the day we first connected was literally the day of my nodal return is just crazy... Since that was the point I felt my destiny really changed. He taught me so much about life, I don't even know where to begin... and years later I am in a place in my life that I would have never expected but fully know is the direct result of lessons I learned through this relationship and the surrounding experiences during that time of my life.

This was an incredibly deep relationship... In terms of nodes it was more dramatic for me than for him which is fairly obvious by how the relationship ultimately effected our lives (I have been very stimulated by it and it's very much effected my life direction/understanding of the world/how i relate to others/how i relate to myself/ so on -- he has found certain things from the relationship which have changed his life but has not reflected similar kinds of changes in his path). During the time we were connected, I moved away and had five years I consider my "dark night of the soul" ... I was very depressed, extremely overworked, lots of very traumatic events. I had very few friends and even though our relationship was very tumultuous, we carried each other through a time that was very difficult for both of us. I was forced in this period to reevaluate everything about my life: What was important to me, my relationships, my career, my lifestyle, what I needed to survive... There were a lot of other transits going on that have effected all this obviously, but the ultimate effect of this node-bound relationship seemed to be a) to put me on my true path through a series of trials that showed me my "chosen" path (up til that point) was not the correct one, so a career shift ... b) to purge me of many of my south node compulsions/fears/tendencies so that I develop the tools to pursue my true path... to recognize the steps involved and to be less fearful about them (i'm likely to end up a 'pioneer' in a sense, since i work best for myself and have a varied set of interests, and this is SO not comfortable for me -- i'd rather be a conformist but i simply CAN'T) and c) to provide all of this on the deepest levels -- deep recognition, deep wounds, deep healing, deep transformation so that I can raise my consciousness and compassionately teach/lead others in a way that is genuine, which has always been very important to me. This provides a very necessary backing for my work. Definitely, I feel like this relationship was probably the one which will in many ways define the work I do for the next major cycle of my life... It basically operated as a catalyst -- bringing south node stuff directly to my north node so that I can move toward my north node with more alacrity. I think my Saturn Return/NN-SN conjunction will be a very significant stepping stone (Saturn is a huge point of contention in my chart) but I got a head start on those bitchez!

Anyway, just wanted to share my experience This discovery has reassured me that everything happens for a reason and that I am following the path that I am meant to in this life. I know that sounds crazy, but the nodes were like the key that unlocked this whole relationship which I have been struggling with for almost 7 years.

(Random side note: The day we met was also a time when my progressed sun and moon were exactly conjunct in the 7th house. Another symbol of a significant cycle starting. All in all, this node karma was some serious times.)
As you say the other aspects that you mention were responsible for the influence that you describe. I am not convinced of effect of any nodal return even back to the north node. I agree that the natal node placement is very significant for us all and if you have a planet conjunct or opposing that natally and then a transit comes along that involves that same planet, may be some validity then. The natal chart always has to echo what is transitting or progressing for major events......
Unread 08-28-2011, 03:17 PM
Banned

I'm not convinced transiting node does much either, my Angles are very sensitive and it creates a grand cross with my natal T Square and nothing happened. So unless we can see what else was going on in your chart, which sounds very much like pluto crossing an Angle to me...

as T node in spring will be conj MC, I will come back and update this thread....

Last edited by astrologer50; 10-02-2011 at 03:39 PM.
Unread 08-28-2011, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire19 View Post
As you say the other aspects that you mention were responsible for the influence that you describe. I am not convinced of effect of any nodal return even back to the north node. I agree that the natal node placement is very significant for us all and if you have a planet conjunct or opposing that natally and then a transit comes along that involves that same planet, may be some validity then. The natal chart always has to echo what is transitting or progressing for major events......
Celeste Teal is a Modern Astrologer who has written several books, including one focussing entirely on the “Lunar Nodes” http://moonvalleyastrologer.com/moon_nodes.htm and http://moonvalleyastrologer.com/tuto...%27s%20Toolkit guidelines from 'Astrologers Toolkit'

- the conjunction and opposition aspects of the North & South Node to natal planets emphasizes the nature of the planet, bringing about experiences, situations, conditions and feelings associated with the particular planet - even showing an emphasis on the people in your life that are ruled by the planet e.g.: Sun = father, Moon = mother http://moonvalleyastrologer.com/astr...20to%20Planets

Also Rob Tillett an astrologer with thirty years experience says quote: on http://www.astrologycom.com/nodes.html

The significance of the Nodes is widely underestimated in Western Astrology over the past fifty years, due to some extent to the rise of "psychological"/"humanistic" interpretative paradigms that have devalued many traditional features of the astrologer's toolkit. Traditional Western astrology along with Vedic, or Indian astrology, places the Nodes on the same critical level of importance as the Sun, Moon and other visible planets. They are personal eclipse points of the chart... experience shows the Nodes have a significant effect on the destinies of all beings who dwell on the surface of the Earth. The Moon's Nodes are very important!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82p-D...eature=related Hippocrates Let food be your medicine: let medicine be your food. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvz9uSK3zXo Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead Tom Stoppard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KchhSIVwMdY Every exit is an entrance to somewhere else. VETTIUS VALENS FREE http://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/...s%20entire.pdf

Tags
node, north, return