Affinity Overcoming Aversion in Synastry

Kite

My wife's Sun is inconjunct my Moon. My Mars is inconjunct her Venus not good from a synastry standpoint. However my Sun in Sag and her Moon in Pisces are ruled by Jupiter. My Mars in Aries and her Venus in Scorpio are ruled by Mars. We've been married 34 years.

Anything documented in the traditional literature regarding the phenomenon? It probably doesn't hurt that my antiscia ascendant conjuncts her Sun as well.

petosiris

Banned
My wife's Sun is inconjunct my Moon. My Mars is inconjunct her Venus not good from a synastry standpoint. However my Sun in Sag and her Moon in Pisces are ruled by Jupiter. My Mars in Aries and her Venus in Scorpio are ruled by Mars. We've been married 34 years.

Anything documented in the traditional literature regarding the phenomenon? It probably doesn't hurt that my antiscia ascendant conjuncts her Sun as well.

At what degrees are the luminaries?

Kite

I found this:

"There are other sign relationships in Hellenistic astrology that also show affinity. The most important of these are of two types: 1. Signs ruled by the same planet, 2. Signs symmetrical about the cardinal points. The first type is the signs that are the domicile of one planet, such as Aries and Scorpio as they are ruled by Mars or Taurus and Libra ruled by Venus. The second type is related to the antiscia and contra-antiscia notions previously discussed.

These sign relationships can be confusing because the same terminology is sometimes used for different relationships. For instance, signs ruled by the same planet are sometimes called those “agreeing in the journey” or “agreeing in the belt”. However, signs symmetrical about the equinoctial axis are also sometimes called “agreeing in the journey”.

at http://www.sevenstarsastrology.com/...symmetry-commanding-obeying-hearing-antiscia/

petosiris

Banned
Dorotheus mentions signs of equal ascension and signs with the same house ruler having affinity (like-engirdling). These would be Aries-Pisces, Taurus-Aquarius, Gemini-Capricorn, Cancer-Sagittarius, Leo-Scorpio, Virgo-Libra and Aries-Scorpio, Taurus-Libra, Gemini-Virgo, Sagittarius-Pisces and Capricorn-Aquarius respectively. You have your Sun in like-engirding signs with the Moon of your wife, which is in sign of equal ascension as your Moon. I would caution that if you also factor aspects by signs, you may end up with all charts being harmonious synastries.

You have no harmonious aspects of the luminaries (unless you got out of sign with the Moons, as I would), but you do have aspects of the beneficent planets to the luminaries, mixed with at least one maleficent - the conjunction of Mars. Ptolemy says that even if all luminaries are in disharmony, the beneficent planets in aspect (without the malefics presumably) bring ''renewals and recollections, which preserve kindness and affection.'' - http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/Texts/Ptolemy/Tetrabiblos/4B*.html#5

Last edited:

petosiris

Banned
Thrasyllus, Dorotheus and Valens used a sidereal zodiac with the the equinoxes and solstices at the 8th degrees, thus their antiscia are Gemini-Leo, Taurus-Virgo, Aries-Libra (not according to Thrasyllus because of the opposition), Scorpio-Pisces, and Sagittarius-Aquarius. Cancer and Capricorn are left without schema, because they have no counterpart in any sidereal zodiac. Their contra-antiscia are Taurus-Pisces, Gemini-Aquarius, Cancer-Capricorn, Leo-Sagittarius and Virgo-Scorpio. Aries and Libra are left without schema, because they are equinoctial. These relationships were used to modify the interpretation of existing sextiles and trines.

However, Ptolemy, Paulus and Rhetorius who used a tropical zodiac with the equinoxes and solstices at the 1st degrees also used the same antiscia and contra-antiscia. Ptolemy explains the antiscia with the fact that the beginning of Gemini has the same daylight as the beginning of Leo and so on, and the contra-antiscia - from the rising times of the beginning of the signs - rather than their end.

Ptolemy was the most brilliant astronomer (and astrologer) of antiquity. Obviously he knew what he was doing and wasn't just using some ''outdated remnant''.

Keep in mind that all these schemata break at the equator.

Last edited:

katydid

My husband and I have Sun inconjnuct Sun. Mine in Scorpio, his in Aries. But much like your example, we are both ruled by same planet, Mars. :bandit:

We have been married 37 years. :love:

We have Mercury inconjunct Mercury and Venus square Venus.

We do have a lot of trines however. My Mercury exactly trines his Venus in Pisces.

And My Mercury trines his Moon in Cancer too.

I think our Sun/Sun inconjunct does add some inconvenient or awkward moments. We are not always on the same page. We do bicker a bit too much...:annoyed:

But we are both passionate about building our life together and our family and we put all our energies into that and still do. We just dont always agree on the best method of doing so...:ninja: