6 Retrograde planets: how are you dealing with yours?

Kali

You would actually think it would be a good thing, and I do think it is when you are interacting with someone with whom you have a healthy relationship, who cares about the conflict and resolving it. However, if you are in a situation where the other person doesn't care that they are steamrolling over your or someone else, you have to be able to say, "You will stop that right now." I don't have that voice. I'm paralyzed. Instead I turn silent and glaring. Sometimes that is enough to rein the other person in, but often, it is not. It's only afterward, while analyzing the situation in retrospect, that I see that I should have asserted myself. Instead, the situation went further than it ought to have because I didn't speak. That is the difficult part of this placement, the part I regret and am trying to learn to recognize.

JUPITERASC

I agree but...
You agree yet disagree :smile:
Quote:
walking backwards'

HELLENISTIC astrologers provide us with a clearly excellent analogy of 'a person walking backwards'

A human being in particular is most effective when walking forwards
A human being walking backwards is either walking away from their destination
or
for some reason
walking backwards towards their destination
:smile:

necessarily mean that a planet is Quote:
unable to adequately act?

and that the only way for it to adequately act should be when
Quote:
the planet is making a station?
Obviously when Mercury is direct
then Mercury may adequately act
dependent upon its natal condition

The reference made is to retrograde planets
as well as in particular
to planets that are stationary retrograde and/or stationary direct

Kali

chappygirl, as a clarification, when Jupiterasc is talking about Hellenistic astrology, they did not recognize the outer planets, such as Uranus, as it has not been discovered. I do think a person has potential pitfalls with the personal planets being retrograde--I shared what Mars is like for me--but you're taking a modern approach, including the effects of planets we cannot see with the naked eye, and their retrograde effect is not as easily defined as able to act/unable to act. I would even argue that Jupiter, which the Hellenistic astrologers did recognize, is that way as well. With a Jupiter retrograde, one questions established dogma and tends to find their own path. Rx Jupiter is not a significator of material wealth and abundance, but rather spiritual abundance. I guess if your goal is die with the most toys, then a Jupiter retrograde would be a terrible placement, but if not, you probably won't see Jupiter as walking backwards at all.

chappygirl

@Kali: thanks a lot!
The reason I asked you a few days ago if you agreed with the description is that it partly fit but not that much at the same time..I wish :(

HELLENISTIC astrologers provide us with a clearly excellent analogy of 'a person walking backwards'
What I meant is: why did they provide such an analogy? Because it fitted with the physical observation of the planet: for them, such planets did "walk" backwards. So as you said, I definately understand the logic that:
A human being in particular is most effective when walking forwards
So we agree that the greeks gave a symbolism that was in accordance with the (supposed) physical nature of that planet.

However, if they had known that it was just
an illusion from the observers' side, would they still have sticked with the same symbolism knowing it didnt fit with the physical observations?

I wondered if, for them, "A person that seems to walk backwards from the eye of an observer" was indeed a "person that is walking backwards"?
The optical illusion of that backwards motion being on the observer's side, it is not the nature of the planet. The backwards motion only exists in the eye of the one looking. Its like looking at a cat, thinking its a dog for whatever reasons and insisting that the cat should bark and if it doesnt, then it is not a normal cat lol

If greeks had understood it was all a matter of optical illusion, maybe they would have given another meaning to the retrograde planet such as, for example "giving the impression to others to be what one's is not?" or "being misunderstood in the field of what the planet represent?" etc...... Who knows what they would have said, should they have known their true nature, about the planets that seem to go backwards when they are actually at their brightest? I am sure, a meaning in accordance with the true physical observations of the planet.

For example, Kali mentionned the effect of his retrograde Mars:
Some people take my "time out" as an insult, that I don't care enough to talk it out.
So this is why I wanted to ask experts like you guys on your own experience, and also from retrograde people to see if there was a symbolism if any, that best fitted with the real experience of retrograde planets..That is why "I agree but I wonder..." :)

Last edited:

chappygirl

However, if you are in a situation where the other person doesn't care that they are steamrolling over your or someone else
Those who dont care that much of you or others are usually mentally or psychologically troubled: narcissistic, sociopath etc...

you have to be able to say, "You will stop that right now." I don't have that voice. I'm paralyzed.
If you are dealing with such persons, they are very difficult to control and always find a way to reverse the situation so it becomes your fault and them, the victim.
I did have an experience like that just left me speechless all the time, like paralyzed and later, I would do like you, just regret I didnt say this and that
That is the difficult part of this placement, the part I regret and am trying to learn to recognize.
if that is due to a placement or simply to the personnalities of such person, are you "paralyzed" all the time or just with some persons?

JUPITERASC

@Kali: thanks a lot!
The reason I asked you a few days ago if you agreed with the description is that it partly fit but not that much at the same time..I wish :(

What I meant is: why did they provide such an analogy? Because it fitted with the physical observation of the planet: for them, such planets did "walk" backwards. So as you said, I definately understand the logic that:So we agree that the greeks gave a symbolism that was in accordance with the (supposed) physical nature of that planet.

However, if they had known that it was just
an illusion from the observers' side, would they still have sticked with the same symbolism knowing it didnt fit with the physical observations?

I wondered if, for them, "A person that seems to walk backwards from the eye of an observer" was indeed a "person that is walking backwards"?
The physical illusion of that backwards motion being on the observer's side and not the planet, could for example a retrograde planet give an "impression", an illusion to the outside world?
For example, Kali mentionned the effect of his retrograde Mars: So this is why I wanted to ask experts like you guys on your own experience, and also from retrograde people to see if there was a symbolism if any, that best fitted with the real experience of retrograde planets..That is why "I agree but I wonder..." :)
I'm no expert ~ however there's plenty of FREE information on HELLENISTIC astrological thinking
at
http://actastrology.com/viewforum.php?f=4&sid=81ca269048509bac4e99e769091ee00f :smile:

there is also now a course:
PROJECT HINDSIGHT
http://www.projecthindsight.com/

Kali

Erin Sullivan posits that it is the relationship between the retrograde and the sun (because it is the angle between the sun and the Rx planet that causes the planet to appear Rx) that determines how the retrograde is experienced.

@Chappygirl, her description of Mercury Rx made me think of our conversation. And you having Mercury Rx, I thought you might be interested? She says that in a retrograde, Mercury is between the Earth and sun "blinded by solar power." The will and ego struggle intensely, consciously and also unconsciously. "Rather than weakening the mind, the mind becomes a powerful resource of analytic stamina because it is inherently necessary for the individual to reason everything out." Then because the mind is constantly moving between ego control and exhaustion from having to reason things out continually, it is exercised far more than a Mercury direct placement and becomes powerful. "Often Mercury retrograde people have great mental endurance and the stamina for long and arduous projects involving research and inquiry."

Last edited:

chappygirl

Hi,

thanks...
I do have Mercury Rx combust the Sun in Aries.
"Rather than weakening the mind, the mind becomes a powerful resource of analytic stamina because it is inherently necessary for the individual to reason everything out."
I agree. But it is exhausting and sometimes, too much thinking makes me do nothing which is against my Aries sun ..So the idea of "struggle" was very much how I felt it around my mid 20s.

"Often Mercury retrograde people have great mental endurance and the stamina for long and arduous projects involving research and inquiry."
I think it has helped me in my introspection on the meaning of Life, fate, my personal path ("why is it happening to me"'s moments lol, what do I want? how can I accept this fate I dont want etc etc)
Processing, inquiring, researching is part of my everyday job and the way I handle personal matters/projects: that is exactly my thinking process.

So at the end of the day, it has been a good help when enduring the darkest times of my life. :)

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

Hi,

thanks...
I do have Mercury Rx conjunct the Sun in Aries.

I agree. But it is exhausting and sometimes, too much thinking makes me do nothing which is against my Aries sun ..So the idea of "struggle" was very much how I felt it around my mid 20s.

Then later, I had to cope the successive deaths of important persons in my life, in a few months timeframe, work burn out, love and family problems all at the same time which I had to drag for the next 3 years: I think it has helped me in my introspection on the meaning of Life, fate, my personal path ("why is it happening to me"'s moments lol, what do I want? how can I accept this fate I dont want etc etc)
Processing, inquiring, researching is part of my everyday job and the way I handle personal matters/projects: that is exactly my thinking process.

So at the end of the day, it has been a good help when enduring the darkest times of my life. :)
Interestingly, there are researchers and academics who process projects yet they do not have retrograde planets natally :smile:

chappygirl

Interestingly, there are researchers and academics who process projects yet they do not have retrograde planets natally
Are you reacting on my personal experience or on Erin Sullivan's interpretation mentionned by Kali?

Of course, as there isnt only one placement for research ability.
For my concern, I do have that ability and this could be explained so. As it could be explained by other elements of my chart.

However, I relate to it not so much for research ability (ie work ability) but really as a "way of thinking and processing information", in everything I do in my life :)

Last edited:

Kali

Interestingly, there are researchers and academics who process projects yet they do not have retrograde planets natally :smile:
Interestingly, there are researchers and academics who process projects yet they do have retrograde planets natally...no, I'm sure that's not true. They're all walking backwards, stumbling into each other. 😉

Staci6993

Hi I’m Staci, and I have 7 in retrograde. Feels like AA! Just joking. But OK. Geez where do I begin. I guess all of this started when I got introduced to the whole natal chart thing some 6 years ago. Someone I was working with where we had a lot of free time, introduced me. He was majoring in astrology at LSU so he gave me a lot of valuable insight that I didn’t realize how valuable it was until about 2 years ago when I looked into it myself, got overwhelmed & have just recently revisited.
The 1st thing that is the most obvious that overwhelmed me of course is the retrogrades, but it gets waaaaay deeper than that. At this point that’s like the last thing I really worry about. But since that’s the forum question, I will comment. I’m not like a pro at this and really honestly it’s my 1st time to comment on anything about this or anything at all. I started a thread about retrogrades & got fussed at for not giving feedback so there ya go.
Ok so in my chart the moon is like really important. It doesnt go retrograde though so just wanted to put that out there bc it truly does have to do with your chart as a whole. Some things it may affect and some it may not and some it may actually make you cooler depending on a host of things, like what house its in and under what sign and then what placement in regards to the sun and then what other planets are in that house as well and then after that in what regard to the placement of which planet and other planets that may be in the same house may cancel that planet out altogether. In my opinion thats why there isnt that much information out there about it because its just another placement on your chart. I think with mine im just a freaking empath like to the 100th degree. But then again im so many other things, like that doesnt define me but it affects me and in my case almost every area if life but not really. My sun along with 2 other planets are in the 12th house. So being that those 2 other planets are in a house with the sun, does that cancel them out? Just the fact my sun is in the 12th house probably cancels out my sun sign altogether, who knows.
The absolute only way, i have come to realize, after end less hours of reading and research, that the only way to understand anything in anyones chart, is to have the whole chart there. Otherwise, what i do is research like each placement specifically. Thats what its all about anyways is the placements because even though its retrograde, mine may be more retrograde than yours in regards to venus. You know so there are so many ways to look at it, its so deep. Thats what makes each one of us so different and unique. There is no way to just put a number on your retrogrades and the classify you as this certain kind of person. The entire chart has to be broken down piece by piece & when that is done you still have to compare it to whats going on out there right now in the sky, because ultimately that has the biggest effect on it.

Estella

I understand what you mean about getting a 360 of situations. I am an empath. I can read a room full of people in minutes and tell you all sorts of things about them--that they would never realize are visible. I can sometimes see people's trauma--who caused it, how it affects them. I don't often share that though, unless someone makes it obvious that they are ready to deal with it as I firmly believe that unsolicited help is not help.

I take on roles and be what is needed then, and then lay the role aside when it is finished. It's very much a reaction to those I'm with and based on their needs. I work with youth, and for that reason, I find myself pulled to the misfit kids. I am the tough adult, the silly adult, the soft adult, per their needs, but often the only one who understands them.

I think because it is easy to me get lost in others, I need physical reassurance of myself. When I have some particularly difficult mergings or I've been too long in public places, I find that I need sensation to bring me back and separate me. I get in the car and drive too fast because I need to feel the cornering. The radio is blasting so I feel the music in my chest and the windows are down so I feel the sharp cold of the wind. People see that and see happy-go-lucky. In truth, it is refuge from others and solitude.

I am very private in my personal life and let very few people into my interior world, past my public personas. Even those that are "in" just get glimpses. I don't wish to lock out those close to me, I just find myself editing my words and actions perhaps too much.

I have 7 retrograde planets myself (except venus), and what you have written deeply resonates with me. I work with children/youth as well.

greybeard

I have only 4 rx planets.

I don't deal with them; I just live with them. I do not pretend that I have power (the ability to manipulate, guide or control their expressions in my life) over them. The opposite is the true state of affairs: they dominate me.

One of the attributes of retrogradation is "highly subjective", which means that the planetary energy turns inward where it becomes largely unconscious energy. And we have no control over what lies beyond consciousness.

Estella

Hello everyone,

https://imgur.com/HmY7vz8

I have 7 planets retrograde, except venus which is in virgo. How do they affect me or how do I deal with them? Well I am not sure where to even begin. I have always felt that I am very different from other people. Somebody metioned that having retrogrades means "not operating normally" and I think it describes the way I feel I operate.

Mercury (in leo): I overoveroverthink. My mind is always busy. I doubt. Re-check. I always think things through before I speak, if I don't, I am often sorry. I speak very quicky and use a lot of words, tend to be drammatic. I don't like phone conversations, I rather write an SMS and I hate unexpected visitors.
Saturn (in mars): this is probably the toughest one. I am really harsh on myself. I have some sort of inferiority complex and the virgo venus eventhough direct, probably doesn't help much here. I am prone to overeating when things get tough. Was obese in childhood and had episodes of overeating and throwing up in rough times during adolescence. I have become a highly attractive woman, but still have self-esteem issues (there are days when I feel really confident, though, but they come and go).

I was brought up as the older of two daughters in a home where manipulation and violent verbal abuse were a part of our daily life. My parents are still (quite happily) together. I have always had a close relationship with my younger sister, I might even say, that she is my best friend, if not the only true friend. I never really struggled in relationship with her, I did have severe issues growing up because of my parents, especially my father (and even later on, when I was on my own). I always felt that they loved me less than my sister, that I never did anything OK, that I was inadequate, ugly, stupid, etc.

It took about 30 years to realize that the problem was not in my parent, It was in me. I was and am different. They gave me their love in the terms they believed were best for me. When I started accepting this, my relationship with them changed too, and I started making lots of progress in other relationships as well.

I never have trouble achieving my goals. Some say school might cause problems to retrograde people, but for me, success in primary, secundary and later in university was not a question. I did always feel that I take in the info differently, I often studied on my own (didn't really learn much during lectures). Maths and science were never really fields that I'd enjoy or be particularly good at, but I have always excelled in everything else (I have especially been drawn to psychology). I don't think that I am soooo intelligent, I believe it has more to do with the way I think and can focus for really loooong times, some kind of mental stamina and love for research. I am also very creative and lately I have focused lots of energy there and it makes me feel wonderful:) I paint, garden, sing, play the guitar:) I feel I can be successful in all the things I put my mind to, but I often have trouble deciding what those things are, because I lose my interest often.

Retrograde people are said to be introverted. I am not really sure what it makes me. People that know me, would definitely say that I am an extrovert, but that is probably just the role I am playing, my persona. When socializing, I am loud, definitely noticed, I do like being around people, but I honestly prefer being on my own. I need to retreat a lot, otherwise I get irritated. I need a lot of freedom in relationships. I could say I am self-sufficient.

What makes me different and is an integral part of me is my deep empathy. And my ability to see through "bulls**t". I work in education, with children, I can really relate to them, I see and feel things that others can't. Sometimes I even feel it's much easier for me to relate to kids than to adults.

I am new to this forum but astrology has been my passion for a long time. I have studied planets a lot, but still "see so many trees that I fail to see the forest". I see a t-square. I also think this is a splash chart, but am not sure.

I'd appriciate you sharing anything else you see in my chart, since I an having trouble putting it all together.

P.S: It took about two days to write this post. A lot of thinking, writing, deleting, re-writing, re-thinking, etc. And I will probably edit some more after I post it. That's how I am dealing with all my Rs:)

P.S.S.: As Greybeard said, there is not much I can do about it. They are an integral part of me. They dominate me. All I can do is embrace them for making me unique.

Estella

Last edited:

greybeard

Hi,

thanks...
I do have Mercury Rx combust the Sun in Aries.

I think it has helped me in my introspection on the meaning of Life, fate, my personal path ("why is it happening to me"'s moments lol, what do I want? how can I accept this fate I dont want etc etc)

Try asking, "Why is this happening FOR me?" (Elijah Cummings)

chiamaria

I have four rx planets and two stationary direct planets. Could so many retrogrades make someone a late bloomer by any chance?