Help with interpreting chart

Ltsparkles

I've been getting more interested in astrology, and I've tried to use the internet(which can only help so much) to help me interpret my chart, but I'm very new to this, and I'm not sure how to interpret it when there are parts of the chart that contradict each other(and in general). For example, having Venus in Libra, but Mars in seventh house. I'd appreciate any help.

Here's my chart:
https://alabe.com/cgi-bin/chart/ast...ee&COUNTRY=USA&STATE=WI&INPUT9=&Submit=Submit

Last edited:

waybread

I just posted on another thread that I think that astrologers who equate signs with houses cause a lot of confusion.

A sign shows how or in what manner a planet works.

A house shows where, or in what area of life a planet works.

Note also, that each planet, sign, and house rules multiple phenomena. Venus rules love, but she also rules the fine arts, luxuries, professions associated with women, and many more, besides. Mars might be the man (real or hoped-for) in a heterosexual woman's chart, but Mars is also her innate assertiveness, aggression, athletes, soldiers, and surgeons.

Venus in Libra is very strong in the sign that it rules; but in the 12th house, you may be hesitant about open expressions of affection. This would be a good placement for an artist, who needs to work alone.

With Aries on the cusp of your 7th house of marriage and other committed relationships, you probably want someone who exhibits traits that you associate with Aries, whether this person has any planets in Aries or not. These traits might be independence and courage. Given that the planetary ruler of Aries, Mars, is in Taurus in the 8th house, some sensuality wouldn't hurt, either.

It's fairly common for different pieces of the horoscope to contradict one another. Astrology aside, maybe you see contradictions in the people you know.

Good books for beginners are:

Steven Forrest, The Inner Sky.

Robert Hand, Planets in Youth. (Good for all ages.)

greybeard

I just wrote a bunch and lost it all. I see you are 13 years old. I will take the time to show you how I go about analysing a chart. Analysis precedes interpretation. We need to examine the deep and powerful influences first, those psychological features that lie deep within our being, are not subject to change, and profoundly influence us and control us throughout life. We are looking to build the foundation on which planets will act, and which determines how they will act and to what end.

PATTERN
The whole-chart pattern and structure are where I usually begin. Everything in a chart must be seen in the context of the whole chart. The horoscope acts as an integrated organic whole because you are that.

Your chart pattern is a bit ambiguous, or indeterminate. It floats between the "splash" and the "seesaw". For reasons I will explain, we'll begin by using the seesaw classification.

I am showing you how I do it. Other astrologers will have their own ideas and methods.

I use 7 patterns. All horoscopes will fit at least one pattern; sometimes, very seldom really, you need to use a shoehorn.

Each pattern tells a great deal about the person. It shows "the pattern of the character and destiny", the pattern of the life.

I suppose this is not what you want to know.

Last edited:

katydid

I've been getting more interested in astrology, and I've tried to use the internet(which can only help so much) to help me interpret my chart, but I'm very new to this, and I'm not sure how to interpret it when there are parts of the chart that contradict each other(and in general). For example, having Venus in Libra, but Mars in seventh house. I'd appreciate any help.

Here's my chart:
https://alabe.com/cgi-bin/chart/ast...ee&COUNTRY=USA&STATE=WI&INPUT9=&Submit=Submit

It's fantastic that you are starting to study charts at such a young age. I was in middle school when I first started learning about my chart too. And I am 66 now, so there is a lot to learn. I am still studying...:sideways:

The study of Astrology is a marathon and not a sprint. So you are going about it in an awesome way, by slowly trying to piece things together. Reading as much as possible and coming here for more info is a great way to learn.

There are some things in your chart that might seem contradictory. Although the example you used confused me. Your Mars is in the 8th house, not the 7th, according to the chart you linked for us.

Your Mars is at 10 degrees Taurus, and the cusp of the 8th is in Taurus. You have the North Node in the 7th in Aries.

But things that may seem contradictory---you have the Sun in Leo, but it is in the 11th house, trining Pluto in the 3rd. So the Leonian qualities of craving personal attention/adoration and expressing personal pride in oneself, is more muted and there might be more attention towards cultural groups, the arts, social goals, etc.

I think you could be a great person to lead by example, not by boasting, or bragging. I think you might lead by showing others your social/cultural/artistic knowledge. You could be an art critic, a publisher, an expert in cultural trends, art history, musical theory, etc.

Jupiter rising in Libra, conjunct the South Node, is an important facet of your chart to delve into. It may indicate that you have a long history, over previous incarnations, of wisdom in the arts.

Last edited:

katydid

By the way, I start my chart readings by looking at the chart pattern as well. Very first thing I do every time. It has to be read in context of that chart pattern to make sense.

wilsontc

Staff member
astro-sentence, to sparkles

sparkles,

You said:
...I'm not sure how to interpret it when there are parts of the chart that contradict each other(and in general). For example, having Venus in Libra, but Mars in seventh house. I'd appreciate any help.

It helps in interpreting chart to keep in mind the "astro-sentence": SIGN modifies PLANET focused on HOUSE. So, in your example:

Libra modifies Venus
Libra (relationships) modifies Venus (relationships)
So: STRONG emphasis on relationships in the chart

Mars focused on 7th house
Mars (action) focused on 7th house (relationships)
Action is taken in relationships

MORE strong emphasis on relationships in the chart

So far this chart has a recurring theme of "relationships". As waybread correctly mentions, there are OTHER things this could indicate, but starting with the "key word" "relationships" for Libra, Venus, and 7th house gets you started in the right direction.

More about this approach in the link below.

Astro-sentencing,

Tim

Last edited: