Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > General Astrology > Natal Astrology > Astrology and Psychology

Astrology and Psychology For interesting discussions on psychological meanings and deeper implications in natal charts between members passionated by both psychology and astrology.

Unread 02-28-2011, 03:00 AM

Re: Why did you get into astrology?

My mom was a "hippi" and I remember seeing the book "The Complete Astrologer" on our kitchen table as a child. Fast forward 10 yrs. and I saw the exact book in a book store and bought it. I had an identity crises stemming from the fact that I am a cusp b-day and then later I learned I was bi-cultural/racial. Needless to say, never comfortable around too many people, (although kids and animals love me!), I basically taught myself how to cast and aspect charts just from this one book. I'll say truthfully I have never learned so much about astrology in such a short time as I have since joining AW! And I've never had anyone to talk to about astrology since now either. I'll always be the eternal student and truth-seeker (3 planets in Aquarius). Thanks AW!

Serafin5
0degs.Pis-Sun
Taurus moon
Scorpio Rising

Alicia Michelle Serafin ~ Facebook
Unread 02-28-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serafin5 View Post
My mom was a "hippi" and I remember seeing the book "The Complete Astrologer" on our kitchen table as a child.
Is that the one by Derek and Julia Parker? (The New Compleat Astrologer) It was one of the first ones I got years ago...
Unread 02-28-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Is that the one by Derek and Julia Parker? (The New Compleat Astrologer) It was one of the first ones I got years ago...
OMG!! That was it for me!! Parkers' Astrology Pack. Probably 15 years ago. Wow.

AC
, in 5th, , ,
Unread 03-04-2011, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Dear Phil (and Aeryn):

It sure is! My book is so old, tattered, and well loved that I have a large rubber band holding it together!

Serafin5

Unread 03-04-2011, 05:11 PM

Right serafin5! All of my favorites are falling apart at the seams...
Unread 03-06-2011, 11:57 PM

My mother got me into astrology
Unread 05-10-2011, 04:19 AM

When i was younger i found this book by Linda Goodman...and since then ive been hooked on astrology. Ive never been religious and ive allways figured that if i was to get one pray...i wud use it for someone elses account, me i allways manage.. But generally i love astrology because its a way of learning about other people as many has allaready mentioned in here. To know what people "think, like and want" makes you realise how much goodness but also confusion there is. I really do think that everyone are good by heart but maybe been lost just like i was. As for the present...i love meeting new people and making new friends.
Unread 05-12-2011, 05:34 PM

I got interested in Horoscopes since I was a little girl and read my horoscope in the newspaper.... then I start searching on the web of my sun sign.

Then I quit reading about astrology....

Then an astrologer made me a reading of my chart, but with the wrong ascendant. Because I didn't knew well my birth hour.
For three years I thought I was a Scorpio ascendant

Then I knew I was a Sagittarius. And then I met a guy (the one with I am right now) and I didn't understand the relationship between both. And then I started exhaustive researches of astrology.

Now days I can read most of a natal chart.
Unread 05-12-2011, 07:38 PM

I was reading about magic, which led to learning about divination (tarot and runes), then I got interested in astrology through learning about the astrological assignations to the tarot cards.

I was completely skeptical, but have found that astrology is both fascinating and useful.

Last edited by Moog; 05-12-2011 at 07:44 PM.
Unread 05-12-2011, 10:59 PM

Hmmm...would you believe school lunch bags? My friend (Uranus) brought her lunch (Moon) to high school (Jupiter) in gimmicky lunch bags. Well it was the early 70s I learnt I was something called Pisces and was a 2 fished water sign that was compassionate, imaginative & believed. Then at around the same time my mother(Moon) bought books (Jupiter) on astrology (Uranus) from the $2 bin for me. Finally answers...& more & more questions It has and will be a life long passion. It has guided me in so many ways as well as helped me help others. I now hold an Astrology Diploma with the FAA and am still learning. So a fated journey it seems. I have Sag Moon conjunct Sag Asc square Uranus in the 10th hse. Venus conjunct Saturn in Aqu. for the love of and dedication to Astrology. Instinctive Moon ruling the research 9th hse and occult 8th hse, 8th hse natural ruler Pluto conjunct Uranus in the 10th hse and opposing Merc intellect. With passionate Mars in the 9th hse motivating my perpetual higher learning and hooking up the Grand Trine aspect with my Sun & Moon, as well as Jupiter ruling my chart....what was a girl to do???
Unread 05-16-2011, 02:18 AM

I knew nothing about it beyond sun signs until about two years ago. I read my horoscopes occasionally, but didn't ever think much about the effects of astrology on the personality. Although I liked performing and always had sort of a fragile, defensive ego, I felt like I was too introverted and logical to be a Leo. Then a friend introduced me to the free natal charts at CafeAstrology, and I was especially intrigued when I learned about rising signs, because I felt like that explained uncannily well the split between my everyday persona and the side of me that my friends got to see. Whenever I got to know people, I'd always hear things like "You always seemed so serious, but you're actually really silly". (Goat rising.)

And then I started doing my own tallying of different peoples' signs (sometimes spending hours and hours on Wikipedia, then making lists and graphs to see what career patterns I could recognize). And I'd start having arguments with my friend when she'd claim to know what different signs were good at, etc--she always laughed at me when I'd send her the graphs I'd made She was always like, "which one of us has the Mercury in Virgo again?" I've got Mercury, Sun, and Part of Fortune in 8th house, though, so that might explain the obsessive researcher in me.

So, long story short, I got kind of obsessed; then, after I ordered my chart, I discovered that there were also houses and aspects and all of that, and now I'm trying to learn about that.

Even when I started becoming interested in astrology, as much as I tried to resist the idea that there were astrologically based qualities to people and affinities between people, I eventually couldn't ignore it. There were just way too many for it to be coincidence.

I was also interested to realize that, up until about three years ago, almost ALL my friends and boyfriends were Earth signs. Of the best friends I've had in my life, 2 were Tauruses, 2 were Virgos, and 1 was a Capricorn--as compared to 1 Libra, 1 Leo, and 1 Cancer. Then, I was in a relationship with a Cap for 3 years. In the past 3 years, though, I've only dated Air and Fire signs. Oddly enough, all of those relationships were very brief and very troubled...the Cap was still my most compatible partner, and we're still great friends. So I certainly don't buy the popular oversimplification that people should only date within their polarity--it's way more complicated than that.

Last edited by nuthatch; 05-16-2011 at 02:22 AM.
Unread 05-17-2011, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquachime View Post
Hmmm...would you believe school lunch bags? My friend (Uranus) brought her lunch (Moon) to high school (Jupiter) in gimmicky lunch bags. Well it was the early 70s I learnt I was something called Pisces and was a 2 fished water sign that was compassionate, imaginative & believed. Then at around the same time my mother(Moon) bought books (Jupiter) on astrology (Uranus) from the $2 bin for me. Finally answers...& more & more questions It has and will be a life long passion. It has guided me in so many ways as well as helped me help others. I now hold an Astrology Diploma with the FAA and am still learning. So a fated journey it seems. I have Sag Moon conjunct Sag Asc square Uranus in the 10th hse. Venus conjunct Saturn in Aqu. for the love of and dedication to Astrology. Instinctive Moon ruling the research 9th hse and occult 8th hse, 8th hse natural ruler Pluto conjunct Uranus in the 10th hse and opposing Merc intellect. With passionate Mars in the 9th hse motivating my perpetual higher learning and hooking up the Grand Trine aspect with my Sun & Moon, as well as Jupiter
ruling my chart....what was a girl to do???
What indeed???!!!

Unread 05-17-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquachime View Post
Hmmm...would you believe school lunch bags?
I want those lunch bags!
Unread 05-20-2011, 06:02 PM

When I was about 14, I had a friend who's aunt liked astrology.. so she gave my friend Linda Goodman's Star Signs book to read. One day while sleeping over, I saw it jammed under her bed... completely unread and ignored... and I began reading through it.

To my surprise, I fell absolutely in love! I couldnt put it down .... my friend gave it to me since she didnt want it anyway and Ive been studying astrology ever since (many years later, lol).
Unread 05-25-2011, 07:48 PM

I've been interested in astrology pretty much ever since I can remember. My mother has a friend who I was around a lot in childhood, and she was into astrology so it sparked an interest in me. I think it's an exciting thing, it helps you understand yourself and others better.
Unread 05-25-2011, 11:37 PM

Basically my curiosity to understand some things that couldn't have been explained otherwise led me to astrology and the occult.I can't really remember the time I realized I have more than a sun sign but it must have been 10 years ago.I "saw" my chart for the first time about 4 years ago.It was like seeing a picture of me and I said "We may have something here".
Unread 06-05-2011, 12:04 AM

LOL I knew I was messed up and I really just wanted to understand myself.

Last edited by CH_7385; 06-05-2011 at 12:12 AM.
Unread 06-05-2011, 01:31 AM

Quote:
We all seem to have different reasons.

I am probably very atypical. I am not into anything esoteric, reincarnation, new age theories , alternative medicines, etc.

In fact, I with my scientific background and education (electrical engineering, physics) and interests (theoretical physics, cosmology), I would be considered the typical skeptic.

I got into astrology years ago purely by chance. I used to be very skeptical until I was challenged to try it out myself. The more I did, the more I was astonished at how accurate natal horoscopes portray the character of a person. I recognized myself, my relatives, my friends. I see it as an excellent vehicle to have a better understanding of the characters of other persons, and to help others understand themselves better, and in what areas they have their strength or need to work on to improve. I gave up trying to understand the rationale of why it could possibly work a long time ago. I just accept it.
ME TOO! Actually, I wanted to disprove it, lol.

Unread 09-06-2011, 05:16 PM

It wasn't until my senior year in high school that I decided to discover what astrology was truly about. Even before that point, in my childhood I was always fascinated by the unknown and the mysteries of the universe though I was afraid of this unknown force at same time...I remembered going to one of those Chinese restaurants where on the table would be a written map of the Chinese zodiac sign birthdates that aligned perfectly with the yearly calender dates. Although not many people in my familyare strongly influenced by the idea of Astrology, nevertheless, they would still look up their birthdays and test the accuracy of the detailed description of each specific animal's personality traits. For all I knew at the time was that my zodiac sign was a cancer and my animal was -a snake, being so young and naieve at the time, I never really considered the personality of the snake, but assumed that both the rabbit and sheep had to be better than a snake...(of course now that I'm older and more aware of myself on a more intimate level, the snake actually fits me very well, being that I do have several Pluto aspects and signs in the 10th house) Bringing the memory of that particular day to my senior class I noticed the computer in front of me and decided to google in both my cancer sign and snake sign. The amazing accuracy was absolutely jaw dropping!( That was nothing compared to what else I've discovered along the way) I began looking up signs for close family members and friends. The more I read, the more fascinating it became. It was the start of this new found interest in astrology that led me into choosing psychology as a chosen field of study, thanks to the depths it reaches into the the human psyche and soul. The fact that Astrology dwelves so deeply into the understanding of our true motives has encouraged me to continue searching for answers and knowledge regarding my place in this incredible universe:-)

Last edited by Amunet; 10-27-2011 at 01:48 AM.
Unread 09-08-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:
We all seem to have different reasons.

I am probably very atypical. I am not into anything esoteric, reincarnation, new age theories , alternative medicines, etc.

In fact, I with my scientific background and education (electrical engineering, physics) and interests (theoretical physics, cosmology), I would be considered the typical skeptic.

I got into astrology years ago purely by chance. I used to be very skeptical until I was challenged to try it out myself. The more I did, the more I was astonished at how accurate natal horoscopes portray the character of a person. I recognized myself, my relatives, my friends. I see it as an excellent vehicle to have a better understanding of the characters of other persons, and to help others understand themselves better, and in what areas they have their strength or need to work on to improve. I gave up trying to understand the rationale of why it could possibly work a long time ago. I just accept it.

That's awesome! I have a Virgo friend who first began the study of astrology for the purpose of disproving it. The more he studied, the more he realized his error.
Unread 09-08-2011, 11:39 PM

I wanted to understand my own psychological processes. Why I do, what I do.
Unread 09-10-2011, 01:53 AM

Im a Cancer (sun sign) and Im surrounded by Aquarians...quite frankly they can drive me crazy...I couldnt understand why Im surrounded by them. Come to find out Aquarius rising and a chart of fire and air
Unread 10-18-2011, 05:25 AM

I started getting hardcore into astrology when I became "esoterically enlightened." The sun signs made too much sense, and then delving deeper into planets, aspects, and synastry, I started understanding myself, others, and the relationships between people so much better than before I paid any mind to astrology.

I have a way with feeling people's "energies", and changes within and around the earth (like weather, disasters, and major cosmic events), and astrology seems to be my calling. I'm still a beginner in the realm of knowledge pertaining to astrology since I'm currently self-taught, but I'm seriously considering taking a few astrology courses when I can afford it, both for my own knowledge and enjoyment, and to help others (and maybe make money!)

Sun: Taurus//Moon:Cancer//Mercury:Gemini//
Venus:Taurus//Mars:Cancer//Jupiter:Gemini
Unread 10-19-2011, 05:35 PM
Banned

I grew up surrounded by astrological books and discussions, as my mother and two of her closest friends were avid astrologers. As a teenager, I developed crush on a boy and asked my mother if a Leo (my romantic interest) and Aquarius (me) were good together. She asked me what his Moon sign was. I told her I didn't know. My mother was not one to ever give a quick, generous answer, so she pulled out a book by Joseph Goodavage that had tables as well as general interpretations. "Read this..."

Tags
astrology