Daylight Savings Time

comdoc

I was born in April, and every calculation software (including astro.com, Kepler, Win*Star) shows Standard Time in effect at my birth. EXCEPT cafeastrology.com. So I searched for a historical time changes website. WeatherSpark.com says DST was in effect from March 14 in nearest large city in year of my birth (1948)! :sideways:

Anyone have any reference book on Time Changes that might confirm whether there was DST in effect at time of my birth in Washington County, Oregon?

JUPITERASC

I was born in April, and every calculation software (including astro.com, Kepler, Win*Star) shows Standard Time in effect at my birth.
EXCEPT cafeastrology.com.
So I searched for a historical time changes website.
WeatherSpark.com says DST was in effect from March 14 in nearest large city in year of my birth (1948)! :sideways:

Anyone have any reference book on Time Changes that might confirm
whether there was DST in effect at time of my birth in Washington County, Oregon?
TIME AND DATE.com http://www.timeanddate.com/time/change/usa/new-york?year=1948

25 Apr 1948 - Daylight Saving Time Started :smile:
When local standard time was about to reach
Sunday, 25 April 1948, 02:00:00 clocks were turned forward 1 hour to
Sunday, 25 April 1948, 03:00:00 local daylight time instead

Sunrise and sunset was about 1 hour later on 25 Apr 1948 than the day before. There was more light in the evening.
Also called Spring Forward, Summer Time, and Daylight Savings Time.

26 Sep
Back 1 hour
26 Sep 1948 - Daylight Saving Time Ended
When local daylight time was about to reach
Sunday, 26 September 1948, 02:00:00 clocks were turned backward 1 hour to
Sunday, 26 September 1948, 01:00:00 local standard time instead

Sunrise and sunset was about 1 hour earlier on 26 Sep 1948 than the day before. There was more light in the morning.
Also called Fall Back and Winter Time.

comdoc

Dear JupiterAsc,

Thanks so much! *relieved* Those websites are evidently inaccurate. Happy that there is no interception in my natal chart.

Lin

DST was not observed "state wide" (Doris Chase Doane's Time changes book.) in Oregon from 1946-50.
Although there are some exceptions for 1950 I don't see any exceptions for 1948.
So....no DST.

There was a notation which states "much of Southeast Oregon observes Mountain Standard Time year round due to its ecomonic ties to Idaho. time for communities on that state border should be investigated thoroughly."
LIN

comdoc

DST was not observed "state wide" (Doris Chase Doane's Time changes book.) in Oregon from 1946-50.
Although there are some exceptions for 1950 I don't see any exceptions for 1948.
So....no DST.

There was a notation which states "much of Southeast Oregon observes Mountain Standard Time year round due to its ecomonic ties to Idaho. time for communities on that state border should be investigated thoroughly."
LIN
Dear Lin, thank you. Apparently I was born on PST. *sigh of relief*

DavidMcCann

DST was not observed "state wide" (Doris Chase Doane's Time changes book.) in Oregon from 1946-50. There was a notation which states "much of Southeast Oregon observes Mountain Standard Time year round due to its economic ties to Idaho. time for communities on that state border should be investigated thoroughly."
That sort of thing is why every US astrologer needs that book: it's the most reliable source you can get. Even the great Lois Rodden got caught out by the fact that Illinois birth records were all in Standard Time, never Daylight Saving, up to 1959!

Lin

That's why you need to know your source for your computer generated charts.

People today don't buy that book.
I'm glad I learned astrology before well before I got my first computer. LOL
(not that I do my own math anymore., that would be very impractical)
LIN