What's the difference between a Professional Astrologer and an Amateur

dhundhun

Having listed various things in above post, people in different part of world would have different objective, while reaching an Astrologer. People in India through Vedic astrology has these types of interests

1. Marriage - to find rich and stable marriage partner
2. Improve luck - through various techniques (gems and rituals are most common)
3. Fortune listening and decision making

So if you look at previous post, a professional Vedic Astrologer has to know:

- 2.1 Astrologers with skills to delineate by incorporating dasa, transits, returns, etc.
- 2.2 Astrologers with skills to do compatibility analysis
- 3.2 Astrologers with skills to guide remedial approach through gems, relocation, and several others techniques

Last edited:

dhundhun

PARROT ASTROLOGER PROFESSION

Let me explain with an example as well. About parrot astrologers. It is profession, because owner of Parrot to attract people and earns using parrot to make living. This will also give examples, what all goes in this profession.

disappearing-250x300.jpg

1. The use of parrot to pull a card from deck is like buying a ticket from Oracle fortune teller machine

Fortune_Tellers1n2-l.jpg

Parrot also is center of attraction to attract clients.

2. After that the Astrologer will ask "RASHI's NAME". This gives him/her information about where moon was located at birth time (within three degrees and twenty seconds).

With Rashi's knowledge, the Astrologer can incorporate all the transits with reference to Natal Moon.

Professional astrologers do play with emotions of client to maximize their gain.

Specially when Saturn or Jupiter is in proper aspect to Moon, you'd say how ACCURATE.

3. In many cases, the Astrologer would like to see palm. Most of the Parrot Astrologers are Palmists also.

4. Many parrot astrologers develop skills in Horary and Election methods. A Parrot Astrologer will be able to guide one if he/she has that skills.

5. Many parrot astrologers will be able to do rituals related to planets. That helps them to make more money.

A parrot astrologer starts from 1. Then gradually learns other things (in any order, that does not matter). More learning and applying daily to customers means more earning.

heretolearn

Kepler is now an online College
its chairman is the well-respected and world-renowned astrologer Robert Hand
:smile:
Kepler is, however, not accredited by any body, and hasn't been able to grant degrees since 2010. This isn't in any way commentary on Robert Hand, but accreditation goes quite a ways in gaining legitimacy as an academic program. Whether or not one might consider this to be important is an entirely different matter. There currently exists no degree program in the US in the area of astrology.

Zucccchini

Welp, my Dad told me the difference between a pro and an amateur is not book education or certificates earned...its experience and IF anyone is willing to PAY you for it. And that is not just astrology...that can be anything, a plumber, machinist, mechanic, etc . I really have never found that to NOT be true. Someone can go on and on all day about all they claim to know but have no obvious experience or in practice are not effective. Therefore, I say if people are willing to pay you for what you do and come back for more...you can claim YOU ARE a professional. If you do not work for money but accolades...you are a fool

Well there are people involved in various trades who are members of unions and those communities have general accepted levels of expertise that have to be earned by certain standards. Such as an Apprentice, Journeyman, etc., showing the levels of professionalism.

Then in the turbulent USA economy we have Casual Labor Temporary Agencies where those within unions truly frown on both because they are Not very highly skilled as a rule and they are willing to work substantially for a lower price; generally their crude work reflects their skills or lack of but there are exceptions.

There is a very noted institution that teaches astrology and endorses no pay, no money in the exchange for astrological services, as they claim to charge a fee puts the skilled astrologer on the level of prostitution. They claim their stance is taken from a teacher who taught the same way, one renowned in human history. And I'm not going to mention their name yet they have their inspired ideals as we all evolve from; many astrologers may be aware of this creed or practice of this institution.

I personally agree there must be an exchange, at least a substantial gift, because so many times when we are given something and give nothing back we see many who are ungrateful and begin to have the mindset of it's their right to receive without any exchange of the practitioner's merits and hard work.

In many rural environments those among the medical profession in history received payment in livestock of a share in the crops or similar as money was harder to make the exchange with due to various circumstances.

The problem is as many skilled astrological authorities through history have cited is there are charlatans in the astro arts who do not necessarily do false interpretations deliberately, yet reflected in their works, and then there are those who are truly more interested in the pay rather than their integrity of knowing their art.

And that is why the Modern Zadkiel studied William Lilly like so many in the 19th century did, even if they misunderstood a few things just as Lilly misinterpreted a few concepts. But Lilly stated, whom Zadkiel borrowed much, Lilly states '..we must be credible for the art of astrology and for our own reputations..'.

ZadkielsGhost

Inline

Kepler is, however, not accredited by any body, and hasn't been able to grant degrees since 2010.

/QUOTE]

From my own personal experience of starting and running an accredited school, receiving accreditation is dependant upon:
a) the school employing teaching staff who are certified examiners and
b) the examiners then being able to prepare the students well enough to write and pass these (internationally) recognised exams.

Perhaps, astrological colleges like Kepler could acheive accreditation, if an existing internationally recognised body / association of astrologers were to prepare their own exams....?!

Astrologers then with experience teaching, and who'd passed the recognised exams, would be additionally trained to teach for exam preparation - the colleges could hire the 'official examiners' who'd train at the college so that students could successfully pass the exams.

The College would then be allowed to offer completion certificates, and eventually fullfill the requirements for accreditation.

Last edited:

Inline

Kepler is, however, not accredited by any body, and hasn't been able to grant degrees since 2010.

/QUOTE]

From my own personal experience of starting and running an accredited school, receiving accreditation is dependant upon:
a) the school employing teaching staff who are certified examiners and
b) the examiners then being able to prepare the students well enough to write and pass the (internationally) recognised exams.

Perhaps, astrological colleges like Kepler could achieve accreditation easier and more quickly, if an existing internationally recognised body / association of astrologers were to prepare their own exams....?!

Astrologers with experience teaching and who had passed the recognised exams, would be additionally trained to teach exam preparation. The colleges could then hire the 'official examiners' to train college students to successfully pass the exams.

The College would then be allowed to offer completion certificates, and eventually fullfill the requirements for accreditation.

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
A lot of talk about Kepler here, but no one has really stated outright that Kepler did not give degrees in astrology. What it was accredited to do was offer Associate of Arts, Bachelor of Arts and a Master of Arts in Eastern and Western Traditions: The History, Philosophy and Transmission of Astrology.

That is certainly nothing to scoff at, we could all use some additional lessons in the history, philosophy, and transmission of astrology. However, Kepler was never handing out degrees in horary or natal astrology or whatever. That would never have gotten accredited by a state board because astrology is popularly thought of as a pseudoscience.

I'm not completely sure what the ultimate issue was that removed Kepler's accreditation. Chris Brennan (who attended and graduated) mentioned a change in Washington State law and Lehman's (who taught) speech at that same graduation implies that it was because of the college's association with astrology.

That all being said, Kepler is much more free to actually teach astrological technique now that it does certifications. There's also ISAR's and NCGR's certifications for the modern psychological bent, and there is the School of Traditional Astrology run by Deb Houlding and Chris Brennan has his course in Hellenistic astrology. So there are definitely options.

But those don't necessarily make you a professional astrologer.

Inline

.....A lot of talk about Kepler here, but no one has really stated outright that Kepler did not give degrees in astrology.

.........However, Kepler was never handing out degrees in horary or natal astrology or whatever. That would never have gotten accredited by a state board because astrology is popularly thought of as a pseudoscience.

Here is a successful example of a US non-profit, licensed university for what some might call pseudomedicine. It has been running very successfully since 1995 and produces acclaimed professionals in fields of homeopathy and Ayurveda...it would interesting to find out more about their preparations that were necessary for creating such a center?

Quote:
"The American University for Complementary Medicine (AUCM) provides in-depth education and training in the world's foremost natural forms of medicine and ancient healing arts...with eight certificate programs and Associate of Arts, Bachelor of Arts, Master of Science, Clinical Doctorate, and Doctor of Philosophy degrees in various forms of natural medicine...

AUCM was licensed by the State of California after a thorough and rigorous application process with the Department of Consumer Affair's Bureau for Private Post-Secondary Education (BPPE). AUCM is not a regionally accredited university, as there are currently no specialty accrediting bodies approved by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) for degree programs in Homeopathy or Ayurveda
"

Last edited:

piercethevale

Hi piercetheveil. Interesting background on Rudhyar. I hope you'll be interested in reading, and commenting on, a draught copy of my book before the final edit some time late next year. Its largely inspired by works by Rudhyar in which he discusses various celestial cycles as symbolising a cyclical shift of emphasis back and forth between an individualising tendency and a collectivising tendency.

Interesting in that I have a pretty good idea of which book that Rudhyar wrote that is most particularly the subject of.
My brother wrote me last year that He was planning on acquiring a copy and wanted to know if I would be interested in reading it once He finsihed it.
It turned out to be a book I had bought sometime ago in a used book store but it had become so aged that the binding came completely apart and I may have lost a good many pages of the book, that is if I did put it in one of the number of boxes I have that contain loose papers and items that got thrashed about, when my apt. was burglarized a few years ago. I never did get to finish reading it either.

I believe it is titled, simply, "Astrological Cycles and Timing" ...or something as like very nearly that? At least that would likely be one of the "works" of Rudhyar I think you are refering to, or is it not?

I gave away my only copy of his first book that was published on Astrology about eight or nine years ago, "The Astrology of Personality", so I am presently unable to verify it, but I seem to recall that particular topic was approached in that work as well.

Last edited:

piercethevale

Piercethevale

I'm personally sorry to hear that Kepler's College is now closed. Without the wisdom and experiences of past astrologers wouldn't we become rather like teenage students trying to figure out what others long before had studied and what was their observations?

Piercethevale

Yes, thanks to Rudhyar, he as other Modernistic authorities introduced concepts like Saturn Rx representing a type of absent father image where another mentor is chosen because of that father type was insufficient. Many writers of the past couple of centuries made astounding discoveries, but then most of them read from authorities who had died long before their own incarnation had begun.

It's great to go to seminars, attend lectures, and patronize the current astrology icons who are still with us like Robert Hand, Noel Tyl, Liz Greene, John Frawley, Deborah Houlding, Chris Brennan, Curtis Manwaring, etc...etc.. There are many out there whom are very diligent in their astrological studies and all of them continually find faults in concepts they thought they understood because they keep turning over new ground by scrutinizing their past knowledge by challenging themselves with a pioneering spirit to become the 'razors edge' in their astro wisdom.

I know of this man whom was from an agricultural community, and attended an agricultural college. He moved into a farm after he married, where his wife complained of the cracks in the walls of the shanty of a home they bought on what would become their great farm. Now this farm had hundreds of acres of land to be cleared, before the modern chain saws used in felling trees of today. This man had four children, the oldest male remained and took over the family farm and the son's father through his knowledge gained from his agricultural background and his college years built a small empire, hiring many men and women to work upon that farm. He had a powerful reputation in his community because of his merits and his integrity. His son who never went to college became dependent upon the parents for guidance. His son not knowing what his father had studied could not keep that farm going in the same magnitude as his father had. Don't you imagine that at the agricultural college his father attended that they possibly taught agricultural techniques and it's history thereby making sound students who might enhance the farming community?

And that man's son like so many sons who didn't quite understand what the original enterprising founder knew eventually lost the family farm to the bank.

Where am I going with this analogy?

Aren't we as astrologers as dedicated as this man and his son were in agriculture, aren't we somewhat inept if or when we do not understand certain concepts of our craft?

I say as the revolutionary Olivia Barclay boldly brought about a revival in Traditional astrology, as Benjamin Dykes who is reviving Medieval astrology, and those who emphasize Hellenistic astrology, that are we not like the son of that farmer if we do not keep studying and at least read books from the Ancients and shortly thereafter for at least astrology's history's sake? Just as the man who attended the agricultural college had more agricultural wisdom than his hard working and dedicated son.

The Original Poster in a sense has asked when do we graduate in astrology?

Is the answer found in our credibility as Lilly and Nostradamus predicted the 'fire of London in 1666 A.D., very similarly like Evangeline Adam's prediction of the Windsor Hotel fire of 1899, which she became famous for as she won her case in her trial in New York.

Or when one serves Royalty and wealthy magnates of Europe as Alan Leo did because of his credibility was he an astrological graduate? Yet I'll wager he didn't stop studying from every source he could and if many of the texts were available to him as we have such as online ebooks Alan Leo would have been nourishing the science and art of astrology to leave a greater legacy for us.

I would consider myself and my Arian positions, so childlike, like one in elementary school, if I did not excavate further into the mountains of knowledge left in them there astro mountains by our past writers of antiquity to the present.

ZadkielsGhost

Like I said, most of what Kepler and about every Astrologer you praise, for the greater part, are using techniques that are worthless because they were devised by someone for the sake of defrauding a client and, or, befuddling a critic or rival, or because of mistranslating writings in dead or little known languages, or were concocted by someone that deluded themselves into believing thay had devised some "new technique" or had rediscovered what, they believed to be, a lost technique despite multiple tests of the process could not reproduce one or two random coincidentally accurate or near accurate attempts.

Like I have repeatedly offered so many, many, times: "Demonstrate the veracity of the technique you contest is true and accurate with the verified accurate birth chart of any known historical or recent well known person and I will concede the point on that technique"...Which no one, to date, has yet to have even offered an attempt to try, forget about asking if anyone has ever have attempted, nor any silly notion that someone actually did, and even succeeded.

I have put every astrological technique I utilize to repeated, stringent, testings before I subject anyones natal chart to it that has asked for any astrological advice, or "reading", from me ...and here in my locality, I have a reputation for being the best around and I have had that reputation for over 20 years to this day.

As the tread initiator hasn't even been back to this forum since Dec. 2nd, I'm through with this thread and answering, or responding, to any more posts here other than by the thread initiator herself and she may contact me by private message, if she wishes to, for any reason she might have.

I bid this thread a final, and not too all fond, adieu.
ptv

p.s. There are a number of techniques that Rudhyar used, that I don't use, and beliefs that I don't ascribe to myself as, they either didn't pass my testings or they were conjecture, of which, he didn't have enough evidence to support or, that subsequent astronomical discoveries have since proved to be erroneous,

[deleted attacking comments by request - Moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:

JUPITERASC

A lot of talk about Kepler here, but no one has really stated outright that Kepler did not give degrees in astrology. What it was accredited to do was offer Associate of Arts, Bachelor of Arts and a Master of Arts in Eastern and Western Traditions: The History, Philosophy and Transmission of Astrology.

That is certainly nothing to scoff at, we could all use some additional lessons in the history, philosophy, and transmission of astrology. However, Kepler was never handing out degrees in horary or natal astrology or whatever. That would never have gotten accredited by a state board because astrology is popularly thought of as a pseudoscience.

I'm not completely sure what the ultimate issue was that removed Kepler's accreditation. Chris Brennan (who attended and graduated) mentioned a change in Washington State law and Lehman's (who taught) speech at that same graduation implies that it was because of the college's association with astrology.

That all being said, Kepler is much more free to actually teach astrological technique now that it does certifications. There's also ISAR's and NCGR's certifications for the modern psychological bent, and there is the School of Traditional Astrology run by Deb Houlding and Chris Brennan has his course in Hellenistic astrology. So there are definitely options.

But those don't necessarily make you a professional astrologer.
Thanks for the clarification KnS :smile:

miquar

Interesting in that I have a pretty good idea of which book that Rudhyar wrote that is most particularly the subject of.
My brother wrote me last year that He was planning on acquiring a copy and wanted to know if I would be interested in reading it once He finsihed it.
It turned out to be a book I had bought sometime ago in a used book store but it had become so aged that the binding came completely apart and I may have lost a good many pages of the book, that is if I did put it in one of the number of boxes I have that contain loose papers and items that got thrashed about, when my apt. was burglarized a few years ago. I never did get to finish reading it either.

I believe it is titled, simply, "Astrological Cycles and Timing" ...or something as like very nearly that? At least that would likely be one of the "works" of Rudhyar I think you are refering to, or is it not?

I gave away my only copy of his first book that was published on Astrology about eight or nine years ago, "The Astrology of Personality", so I am presently unable to verify it, but I seem to recall that particular topic was approached in that work as well.

Hi. The main works I've been referring to are The Pulse of Life, The Lunation Cycle, The Astrological Houses, and some audio talks available on the internet, and also some articles on the direct-retrograde cycles of Mercury and Venus that are on the Rudhyar Archive site. I haven't come across the book you mention, so I'll check it out. Thanks.

spock

There's no such thing as earning a degree in Astrology, so what makes someone a certified professional Astrologer and what makes someone an amateur?
Actually this is not true. Kepler College (an accredited college in the USA) offers a degree in Astrology.
"Kepler College (formerly Kepler College of Astrological Arts and Sciences) is an unaccredited [emphasis added] institution of higher learning which was permitted by the state of Washington to grant degrees between March 9, 2000 and March 9, 2010. None of the degrees granted by Kepler are recognized by federal or regional accrediting agencies." — Wikipedia, as of March 26, 2011 according to footnote 3. Don't know if this has changed in the interim, but I doubt it. Doesn't necessarily mean a Kepler College education and corresponding degree isn't worth having, but as far as mainstream academia is concerned such a degree is about as meaningful as a degree in witch doctoring.

waybread

Apartofme, you can see from this thread that there are many different opinions: we do not all agree. Here are my views.

Technically speaking, an amateur does not charge for what s/he does. The root word of amateur is the same as amore: meaning love. Amateurs and professionals alike can love astrology, but it is the key motivator for amateurs, not income.

Kepler College, in Washington state, appears to be very much open, but not as an accredited college. http://www.kepler.edu/home/ It offers on-line and classroom courses, workshops, and certificates.

There are several prominent non-profit societies in the US that offer courses and tests, such as the American Federation of Astrologers and the National Center for Geocosmic Research. Astrologers who pass their exams are entitled to put this credential on their promotional materials, such as websites and business cards.

Astrology exams are highly controversial in astrology, but they were established by professionals who were sick and tired of ignorant amateurs giving astrology a black eye. Right now, you, I, or Daffy Duck could call ourselves professional astrologers, as the field is largely unregulated-- unlike other professions.

Also, individual well-known and published astrologers often offer on-line courses and their own diplomas to astrology students. Further, there are programs in Britain that offer on-line programs, some even offering degrees, like the Faculty of Astrological Studies http://www.astrology.org.uk/ but these are usually not accredited. The one that is, Bath Spa University, actually doesn't teach professional practice, but students can study the history of astrology, or astrology as a cultural practice in society.

There is another recent thread on this, but be advised that in many US states, astrologers cannot use the word "psychology" or "psychological" (as in "psychological astrologer") in their titles, unless they have met the state's criteria for licensing as a clinical or counseling psychologist. This is a very high bar, requiring a Master's or doctoral degree in psychology or closely related field, plus board exams.

I would skip the more woo-woo approaches, if I were you. Most people who pay for an astrologer's services want either a competent personality analysis; or else they have specific questions about their money, relationships, or career.

Oftentimes, you have to know predictive methods to answer their questions, such as horary astrology, or various methods of forecasting.

At one time, I thought Dane Rudhyar was hot stuff, but it is hard to see how you could use his material on the Evolution of Man Through The Signs to advise someone on why her boyfriend left her.

Modern western, traditional western, and Vedic (jyotish) astrology all produce good results in the hands of competent practitioners. If you explore them all, you can see which one feels right to you.

One of the best things you can do now is read as much as you can: but be a connoisseur. Astrology in books and on the Internet contains the good, the bad, and the ugly. Then start reading charts for people. A "live" chart will give you so much more interaction than just looking at one in a book, in my opinion.

Even if you don't know much astrology, you can start with people's sun, moon, and ascendant; and let them know you are still learning.

If you are university- or college-bound, one of the best things you can do is to study a field that teaches you about human nature-- and then become active in volunteer activities that bring you into contact with a wide variety of people and their stories. An introductory course in astronomy would be helpful, as well.

Good luck to you!

Last edited:

waybread

Recommended books for beginners:

Robert Hand, Planets in Youth, Planets in Transit.

Stephen Arroyo's Chart Interpretation Handbook: Guidelines for Understanding the Essentials of the Birth Chart.

Steven Forrest, The Inner Sky, The Changing Sky, Skymates (2 vols, w/ Jodie Forrest)

Jodie Forrest, The Ascendant.

J. Lee Lehman, The Martial Art of Horary Astrology.

Helena Avelar & Luis Ribeiro, On the Heavenly Spheres: A Treatise on Traditional Astrology.

I think these are all in print, and available through amazon.com.

There are also books by well-known professional astrologers for anyone contemplating a professional practice, but it's probably best to learn the basics first. (For example, Noel Tyl, Communicating the Horoscope and Synthesis and Counseling in Astrology; Stephen Arroyo, The Practice and Profession of Astrology; Joan McEvers, ed., Astrological Counseling; Robert P. Blaschke, Astrology: A Language of Life vol III: A Handbook for the Self-Employed Astrologer.)

There are good encyclopedic entries on various topics on the forum's mother site of Astrology Weekly http://www.astrologyweekly.com/ , at Astrodienst www.astro.com (see especially its free chart services-- many options for chart calculations,) and Skyscript http://www.skyscript.co.uk/ (traditional western astrology.)

Last edited:

Inline

Astrology exams are highly controversial in astrology, but.....

.......several prominent non-profit societies in the US that offer courses and tests, such as the American Federation of Astrologers and the National Center for Geocosmic Research.....

.....programs in Britain that offer on-line programs, some even offering (diplomas) like the Faculty of Astrological Studies....but these are not accredited.

...Bath Spa University, doesn't teach professional practice, but students can study the history of astrology, or astrology as a cultural practice in society.....

Exam boards have been around as long as there have been qualifications. Once universities had experience of offering qualifications (such as diplomas or degrees) it was natural that they create their first exam boards. In 1857 Oxford, and then in 1858 Cambridge University each created their own exam boards.

The qualifications offered were generally of the boards' own creation..!
Examination boards (also called awarding bodies) are the responsible for setting and awarding level qualifications such as vocational qualifications to students. Grades that can be awarded are beginner, intermediate and advanced. The American Federation of Astrologers examination and certification program has been in existence since 1960. AFA exams in natal astrology are offered at 3 levels of proficiency:student, professional and teacher. The British Faculty of Astrological Studies offers a formal qualification in a philosophical approach to astrology, after completion of nine modules with each level (certificate, intermediate and diploma) completing an exam. There is no mention whether or not the diploma / college is accredited...?

It makes sense that the American and British astrological associations combine to form their own examination board....

Qualifications for natal & psychological/philosophical exist. Exams for horary, predictive, traditional & vedic need to be created.

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

Exam boards have been around as long as there have been qualifications. Once universities had experience of offering qualifications (such as diplomas or degrees) it was natural that they create their first exam boards. In 1857 Oxford, and then in 1858 Cambridge University each created their own exam boards.

The qualifications offered were generally of the boards' own creation..!
Examination boards (also called awarding bodies) are the responsible for setting and awarding level qualifications such as vocational qualifications to students. Grades that can be awarded are beginner, intermediate and advanced. The American Federation of Astrologers examination and certification program has been in existence since 1960. AFA exams in natal astrology are offered at 3 levels of proficiency:student, professional and teacher. The British Faculty of Astrological Studies offers a formal qualification in a philosophical approach to astrology, after completion of nine modules with each level (certificate, intermediate and diploma) completing an exam. There is no mention whether or not the diploma / college is accredited...?

It makes sense that the American and British astrological associations combine to form their own examination board....

Qualifications for natal & psychological/philosophical exist.

Exams for horary, predictive, traditional & vedic need to be created.
Until then TRADITIONAL ASTROLOGY FOR TODAY is a good intro for the beginner http://www.bendykes.com/tafortoday.php

'....Traditional Astrology for Today is designed for the curious modern astrology student or practicing professional. :smile:

Do you:

• Want an introduction before spending more time and money on traditional books or courses?
  • Want to supplement your current practice with traditional techniques?
  • Need basic objections to traditional astrology answered?
  • Seek a quick guide to basic ideas, vocabulary, history, and the names and works of older astrologers?
  • Need an up-to-date reference guide to the best, current books in English?....'

JUPITERASC

Welp, my Dad told me the difference between a pro and an amateur is not book education or certificates earne
d...its experience and IF anyone is willing to PAY you for it.

And that is not just astrology
...that can be anything, a plumber, machinist, mechanic, etc .

I really have never found that to NOT be true.

Someone can go on and on all day about all they claim to know
but have no obvious experience or in practice are not effective.

Therefore, I say if people are willing to pay you for what you do and come back for more
...you can claim YOU ARE a professional. I

f you do not work for money but accolades...you are a fool.
:biggrin:
Certainly, since astrology is regarded as a form of entertainment by the general public

and
mostly associated with either mystical old wizards clad in robes sprinkled with planetary symbolism

or
fairground charlatans consulting crystal balls/palm reading

then
many astrologers simply do as your Dad advised

i.e.
simply practice

and
then if clients pay
and then consistently return for more consultation/advice
that is one measure of 'professionalism'
:smile: